Rear Differential Noise-Fix [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Rear Differential Noise-Fix

Sack Rat SS
07-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Around 3,000 miles I started having diff. noise when making tight, slow turns, fluid warm or cold. I have heard this noise in some of my previous posi-trac cars and the fix was doing figure 8 turns to bed in the diff. clutch pack's OR replace fluid and include GM posi-trac additive. Yesterday my service writer told me that many TBSS and Vettes with the similar torson type diff. left the factory without the correct fluid or additive. I was told there is a bulletin to mechanic's concerning this problem. Under warranty he had the fluid changed to the correct fluid and NO more groan/noise. I am posting this just to give TBSS owners a heads-up. Good Luck:yes:

2002SLT
07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.

1BADSS
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Can you explain the noise? I'm having a noise too. It sounds like "play in the gears" like a "tokch" (wish intrenet had sounds)

DallaSS
07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Around 3,000 miles I started having diff. noise when making tight, slow turns, fluid warm or cold. I have heard this noise in some of my previous posi-trac cars and the fix was doing figure 8 turns to bed in the diff. clutch pack's OR replace fluid and include GM posi-trac additive. Yesterday my service writer told me that many TBSS and Vettes with the similar torson type diff. left the factory without the correct fluid or additive. I was told there is a bulletin to mechanic's concerning this problem. Under warranty he had the fluid changed to the correct fluid and NO more groan/noise. I am posting this just to give TBSS owners a heads-up. Good Luck:yes:

Which dealer did you go see (if you don't mind)?

Thanks.

SSkeetobite
07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I had this same problem, but the fluid change/addition didn't help. Dealer had to order new diff from the factory. Took 3 weeks to get and install.

The grinding -or- groaning noise was most obvious at slow tight turns. Like 2 to 3 mph in a parking lot. Became so bad that it was obvious just backing out of a parking space. You can't hear the noise over 5 mph due to the exhaust note...

maxgiben
07-06-2006, 01:54 PM
I have noticed a "slip / grind / bumping", sorry, hard to describe, feeling, not really a noise, I notice it the most after backing up, then going forward. It occurs within the first few feet of forward travel. It feels like it is coming from the rear axle. I had the dealer service dept. check it out, of course, "we didn’t feel it" was the predictable response. Does this sound like the same thing? :worried:

1BADSS
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I have noticed a "slip / grind / bumping", sorry, hard to describe, feeling, not really a noise, I notice it the most after backing up, then going forward. It occurs within the first few feet of forward travel. It feels like it is coming from the rear axle. I had the dealer service dept. check it out, of course, "we didnít feel it" was the predictable response. Does this sound like the same thing? :worried:

I think I'm having this too. When I back up and put it in gear and move slowly I get a grinding feeling, not a noise.

Fishhunter911
07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
I think I'm having this too. When I back up and put it in gear and move slowly I get a grinding feeling, not a noise.

Make that 3

blautens
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Hey, I have EXACTLY the same issue....I didn't bother to mention it to service, since I literally have to video tape problems in order to get any sort of response if it's not doing it 100% of the time.

Are we starting to think this is the diff?

1BADSS
07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey, I have EXACTLY the same issue....I didn't bother to mention it to service, since I literally have to video tape problems in order to get any sort of response if it's not doing it 100% of the time.

Are we starting to think this is the diff?

Probably have to wait till it breaks.lol It is deffinately coming from the rear.

Sack Rat SS
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Can you explain the noise? I'm having a noise too. It sounds like "play in the gears" like a "tokch" (wish intrenet had sounds)

I would call the sound more of a GROAN, like a rusty gate opening slowly. Not a grinding. At low speed either forward or reverse and more noticable at tight turning radius. It is looking like there are many TBSS owners with the similar problem. The mechanic told the service writer that 90 percent of the noise was gone within one mile of his test drive. All was gone by the time I got home after driving about 50 miles. I am sure it takes a few miles to bed the new fluids into the clutch pack inside the diff.

DallaSS - I had the work done at Showcase Chevrolet in North Dallas on LBJ Freeway.

Big T
07-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Make that 3

+1, I got the same thing! only happens sometimes, but I'll try the figure 8's and new fluid... but make that 4 :yes:

Bud1874
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Im having the same problem in my SS, only hear it when backing,and turning slow.Thanks for the info.

ltz03
07-06-2006, 07:46 PM
i have a similar noise it seems to be comming from the rear but sounds like the tranny, my ss is awd and I just thaught it was normal I asked this question before. mine happens while driving around at all speeds??????

vetruck
07-06-2006, 09:01 PM
OK, this is weird, I just noticed this this morning leaving work and was going to post about it. Any way I backed out of my spot and had to make some 90 degree turns to get out of the lot and started hearing a rubbing, grinding, metalic meshing noise from the back? I was like WTF but it was so low I could only hear it with the radio down and AC off. So I drove most of the way home and didn't hear it again. I stopped in an empty parking lot on the way and did some figure 8's to see if I could get a better idea of what it was and I couldn't hear it after the first one. Again I was like WTF?

TonyGXP
07-07-2006, 02:18 AM
OK, this is weird, I just noticed this this morning leaving work and was going to post about it. Any way I backed out of my spot and had to make some 90 degree turns to get out of the lot and started hearing a rubbing, grinding, metalic meshing noise from the back? I was like WTF but it was so low I could only hear it with the radio down and AC off. So I drove most of the way home and didn't hear it again. I stopped in an empty parking lot on the way and did some figure 8's to see if I could get a better idea of what it was and I couldn't hear it after the first one. Again I was like WTF?

I hear this when it's cold and on tight...tight turns but only going like one or 2 mph (after I wash and dry, trying to get out of the driveway without getting water all over the place. but once I move above a couple MPH, it's gone, think it's just cold heavy fluid and the clutch packs needing a little more additive..If I don't get it looked at will it cause damage or will it break down over down and be normal?? that's the real question?

quick66ss
07-08-2006, 02:17 AM
I have 6000 miles on my SS. Started to hear the same noise at 4500 mls. Today I changed the rear end fluid ( Mobil 1 ) and added 8 oz of the limited slip additive. Took it for a spin and the noise was gone. I noticed the old fluid smelled kinda sweet. In my experience gear oil is the worst smelling lube to work with so I was not expecting the sweet smelling fluid that came out of the diff.
I did like the drain and fill plugs as no auto parts stores had the gasket in stock. I do not like to take my cars to the dealership as they always come back with something messed up after they "fix" the problem I took it to them for.
I will keep you posted as to how this works. Its a quick fix as it took 3 bottles of gear lube, 2 bottles of additive and 20 minutes of my time. I would have spent a few hours at the dealer to get this same thing done.

Mike

ScarabEpic22
07-08-2006, 04:03 AM
I can understand the diff fluid smelling sweet as its supposed to smell like grape. I know my 02 with locking rear did until I changed it to Amsoil Severe Gear. Surprised me too!

treyster
07-09-2006, 03:05 PM
i have a similar noise it seems to be comming from the rear but sounds like the tranny, my ss is awd and I just thaught it was normal I asked this question before. mine happens while driving around at all speeds??????

Just got my new TBSS last week. I'm having a whine at all speeds while just normal cruising. Sounds like a supercharger whine, but it stops when I coast. It is definitely related to vehicle speed, not engine speed. I'm wondering if the front diff. was set up wrong with the drive pattern in the front gears creating the whine, while the coast pattern is acceptable. Any one else having a whine at all speeds? I have the same noise as the rest of you at low speeds after a restart. It goes away around 10 mph and doesn't come back.

vetruck
07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
I would take yours in treyster, doesn't sound right to me. I'm also taking mine in to the dealer in the morning. Mine sounded bad today while backing a few times :worried: . The diff had warmed up and it still did it :cry: . It was also doing it going forward and turning at low speed :( . I'm talking about the groaning noise though not a constant whine. If it only needs new fluid or additive great but at least it will be on record if the thing ever lets go :)

1BADSS
07-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Just got my new TBSS last week. I'm having a whine at all speeds while just normal cruising. Sounds like a supercharger whine, but it stops when I coast. It is definitely related to vehicle speed, not engine speed. I'm wondering if the front diff. was set up wrong with the drive pattern in the front gears creating the whine, while the coast pattern is acceptable. Any one else having a whine at all speeds? I have the same noise as the rest of you at low speeds after a restart. It goes away around 10 mph and doesn't come back.

I believe you have the Dry front drivers side axle seal gone. There is a TSB out for it. Pretty all the AWD are having this problem. It's a bad seal right from factory.Mine was replaced at a few hundred miles. Kinda sounds like brakes squealing then goes away at higher speeds.

Verde06SS
07-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Yes thanks for the info because I just started noticing that noise my self. and what about brake noise. when i roll my windows down and drive i hear it pretty loud. is this normal?:confused:

1BADSS
07-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Yes thanks for the info because I just started noticing that noise my self. and what about brake noise. when i roll my windows down and drive i hear it pretty loud. is this normal?:confused:

That's the famous seal again I believe.

vetruck
07-16-2006, 07:09 AM
The meshing, groaning noise coming from mine is getting worse. It's definitly not normal. I'm going to have to bring it in this week. Has anyone else been to the dealer for this one yet? What did they do/fix?

Blue Beast
07-16-2006, 11:07 AM
The meshing, groaning noise coming from mine is getting worse. It's definitly not normal. I'm going to have to bring it in this week. Has anyone else been to the dealer for this one yet? What did they do/fix?
I don't know, but I'm with you. I'm taking mine in this week as well as the noise is getting worse, we'll see what they say.

vetruck
07-16-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't know, but I'm with you. I'm taking mine in this week as well as the noise is getting worse, we'll see what they say.

Is yours doing the same as what I described or is it coming from the front?

treyster
07-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Read the thread I posted a couple of weeks ago. I took it in because it seemed to be getting louder. I told them I thought it might be the front ring and pinion. They called back and said they needed to replace the front differential, which is on back order. It's been a week and they're not sure where they can get one. I'll keep you posted. treyster

JeremySS
07-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Read the thread I posted a couple of weeks ago. I took it in because it seemed to be getting louder. I told them I thought it might be the front ring and pinion. They called back and said they needed to replace the front differential, which is on back order. It's been a week and they're not sure where they can get one. I'll keep you posted. treyster

Mine is in for the same thing. I had the axel seal replaced and now it appears the front diff has gone bad. Is the front diff on the SS different from the 5.3L Trailvoy and are they having problems like this?

vetruck
07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
treyster, your problem is different than mine then. Sounds like several AWD's have had that problem too. Mine went in this morning and they did not have a chance to really look at it yet. Tomorrow I guess but they're getting me a rental so it's all good. :)

matts
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
someone said there's a bulletin out for the fluid being wrong.........anyone have that number available?

sleeper22
10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I have about 2800 miles and the same problem. I took it in about 2 weeks ago and they changed the fluid and added the additive (so they say). I drove it about 300 miles and the noise did not go away. The truck is in the shop now and they are going to replace the "Ring Gear". Does someone know what this part is? Are they pulling my chain?

Sack Rat SS
10-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Sleeper22- This is what GM did for me as well. You are geting an entirely new differential carrier unit with ring gear, posi, etc. This should fix it for good. It did mine as well. I was out of my car one day, but, I waited until they had the parts on hand first. Good luck!!!

sleeper22
10-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the support. Where did you get it done? Have you had the 3M rocker panel stuff put on? Do you even want it?

Sack Rat SS
10-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the support. Where did you get it done? Have you had the 3M rocker panel stuff put on? Do you even want it?

It was done at Showcase Chevy on LBJ Fwy. Not familiar with the 3M rocker panel stuff. Does this black/darken the rockers?

c72lt1
10-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I have 6000 miles on my SS. Started to hear the same noise at 4500 mls. Today I changed the rear end fluid ( Mobil 1 ) and added 8 oz of the limited slip additive. Took it for a spin and the noise was gone. I noticed the old fluid smelled kinda sweet. In my experience gear oil is the worst smelling lube to work with so I was not expecting the sweet smelling fluid that came out of the diff.
I did like the drain and fill plugs as no auto parts stores had the gasket in stock. I do not like to take my cars to the dealership as they always come back with something messed up after they "fix" the problem I took it to them for.
I will keep you posted as to how this works. Its a quick fix as it took 3 bottles of gear lube, 2 bottles of additive and 20 minutes of my time. I would have spent a few hours at the dealer to get this same thing done.

Mike

Mike,
How about a P/N or description of the limited slip additive? Local auto parts or dealer item?

I share your opinion on dealers and the hassle it involves.

Thanks

c72lt1
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Well count me in that number with the diff noise/groan. Was reading the posts and could not resist the need to go drive the car to see if mine did it also.

Well it does. I hear a whine/low groan from the rear on a slow wheel to lock circle. Don't know if the locking diff is supposed to make this noise when it's doing it's slipping or doing it's job. No noise at any other time. Normal turns no noise, you have to be at wheel lock. No noise when backing up.

Is a normal noise or the diff should not make any whine/groan at any time?

Looks like I'll try the lube change first.

mick
10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
My totally stock '06 went back to the dealer yesterday for the third time in four months. They had it on Sept 14 when GM sent out the last upgrade for the rear end noise. They put in the new oil and additive at that time. It didn't stop. Yesterday they ordered a new "clutch pack" and had me pick up the truck since they didn't know how long it would take Chevrolet to send the parts.
I'm driving it with the "hoot-groan" unitl they get the parts!
What's next?
Mick

Sack Rat SS
10-14-2006, 11:10 AM
My totally stock '06 went back to the dealer yesterday for the third time in four months. They had it on Sept 14 when GM sent out the last upgrade for the rear end noise. They put in the new oil and additive at that time. It didn't stop. Yesterday they ordered a new "clutch pack" and had me pick up the truck since they didn't know how long it would take Chevrolet to send the parts.
I'm driving it with the "hoot-groan" unitl they get the parts!
What's next?
Mick

Mick, this seems like the way it goes with the rear groan. Most of the time the easy fix of replacing fluid/additive only works for a few hundred miles. Break-in the new diff carrier gently for a few hundred miles as well. About one week wait for parts to show up at the dealer for me. Good luck!! Rick

c72lt1
10-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Fixed mine myself as "Quick66SS" did also. Good post.

Put in 3 bottles of Mobil 1 and 8 oz of additive. Made 4 circles to left, 4 to right and no noise now. For those w/ a slight clutch chatter or whine this may be your fix.

The oil I drained was the blackest oil I have seen from a diff. May be the disk material in the oil. Did not see any metal shavings in the oil. May have been lack of the additive. Noticed that Mobil 1 says that the limited slip additive may not even be needed. Added it anyway.

Also drained it from the drain plug, then used my handy pump attachment to pump in the oil.

Drop the spare it's much easier.

c72lt1
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Additional information.

Doing a little surfing on Eaton's website and saw a contact page. Decided to ask their opinion or comments on this situation w/ the TBSS diff.

Eaton's response FYI,
"Mechanical traction aid devices will have certain "side effects" from
time to time. This is mainly noticeable when you have to negotiate tight
slow turns, just as you had mentioned. This is due to the slight drag
coefficient in the unit, and is normal. Vehicles that sit allot will
have more instances because the clutches will have to be re-primed with
fluid.

Axle fluid maintenance is recommended about every 30,000 miles. "

I have my opinions on this but just wanted to get out their response.

mick
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
The Chev house called me back in this morning to replace the rear end! Apparently the fix is now to replace not just the clutch pack but the whole thing.....!

Slaaber 9-7x
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Just had my '05 9-7X 4.2 in for alignment and the rear end shuddering everyone is talking about and yes there is a service bulletin to replace nearly the entire rear diff. Funny thing is I had a similar issue on our deceased '02 Bravada and it was the encoder motor. Anyway if I find the TSB related to this repair I will forward it on.

rrmccabe
10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Just to bump this tread with some more data.

I took my 2200 mile truck in today for the fog light shake fix, groaning when turning and what sounded like a front wheel rub when I turn sharp which would engage the stabilitrack. Also, I noticed the seal leaking around the front drivers axle.

They decide to install some additive in the rear which has to be special ordered. Yea I heard someone else say their dealer had to special order fluid and I laughed. Not laughing anymore. How stupid is that not to keep fluids like that in stock.

But the kicker is the front seal. When they went to pull the front axle to replace the seal, it wouldnt come out. They called GM and GM assured them it was like anything else (non SS) and must be internally messed up.

So carrier assembly on order. About a week out.

So back to driving truck :)

cscss
10-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I had the same problem, making a noise when backing up at first and then it stated to get worse. I took it in and the dealer changed the rear end fluid and added the additive. So far it hasn't made any noise, but a couple of days later I noticed that there is a dent in the left door, it's at the top of the door in the trim under the side glass. Called the dealer and they told me over the phone that they would take care of it. Went in yesterday and had them look at it. They ordered the piece of trim and said that they would give me a call when it came in. Things like that happen and I'm just glad that they would rather fix this than argue about it!!

Scott

1BADSS
10-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Does anyone have the TSB Bulletin #. My dealer says there is none.:(

rrmccabe
10-25-2006, 01:08 AM
My dealer said the same. Had not heard of the problematic left from axle seal I have heard talked about either.

Frank
10-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I am having this peoblem as well. It seems only when I back up.

Frank

1BADSS
10-28-2006, 12:30 AM
My dealer said the same. Had not heard of the problematic left from axle seal I have heard talked about either.

For that they got to look under a regular TB. If you search my posts I posted the Bulletin somewhere on here. I want the TSB for the rearend noise. I already had the axle seal fixed.

kenmosher
10-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Just had mine done (the flush and fill)... seems to have taken care of it.

On the service ticket it listed the fix as a "PIP" (and not a service bulletin) and listed the fog light fix under a service bulletin number.

PI #PIP3911 - flush rear differential fluid with new fluid and additive. Perform extensive test drive sequence. Flush rear differential again wtih new fluid and additive. Test drive again.

Ordered bracket and fasteners as per bulletin #06-08-42-005 (this is the fog lights)

philntx
10-29-2006, 01:46 PM
My 05 Vette had the same problem with a "clanking" noise in the rear diff at low speed turns (like in a parking lot). Dealer tried the additive recommendation, but after 10 days the noise returned. Took it back and they replaced the rear diff. This was 18 months ago and haven't had any problems since. Service advisor told me that a lot of rear diff assemblies left without the posi additive. I asked why replace the entire unit. He said it was cheaper to replace than rebuild.

WA 2 FST
10-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Our SS had ~2800 miles on it when the rear diff "clunk" started getting pretty loud. I drained it, filled it with Mobil 1 gear oil and the friction-modifier/additive. So far (400 miles) it hasn't made the noise. It literally took me 20 mins to do myself with simple hand tools and I didn't have to make a trip to the dealer. :yes:

RSM2LHC
11-08-2006, 12:29 PM
TBSS with 5500 mi.

The dealer flushed and replaced all the rear diff fluids and after a month the grinding noises are back. So back to the dealer yesterday and they ordered a new rear diff. It will take about three weeks to come in to the dealer (Ordered from the East Coast). Also ordered the fog lamp supports. So far the dealership has been great. Want to keep this thread going, as it has been a huge help to me. Keep checking the rear diff when you back up and are turning. :crazy:

gonzalezmbox
11-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Same problem :mad: . 2500 miles with rear diff noise. The GM service bulletin recommends change fluids / figure 8s / flush again. The dealer opted for a new differential which they ordered. How hard is to change the differential? :undecided Are they going to mess everything up if they do not do this reguarly? :confused:

gonzalezmbox

kenmosher
11-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Just had mine done (the flush and fill)... seems to have taken care of it.

On the service ticket it listed the fix as a "PIP" (and not a service bulletin) and listed the fog light fix under a service bulletin number.

PI #PIP3911 - flush rear differential fluid with new fluid and additive. Perform extensive test drive sequence. Flush rear differential again wtih new fluid and additive. Test drive again.

Ordered bracket and fasteners as per bulletin #06-08-42-005 (this is the fog lights)

Update: Had mine done and it seems to have cured the noise. Put about 300 miles on it and no noise <*knock wood*>

T-Mac
11-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Update: Had mine done and it seems to have cured the noise. Put about 300 miles on it and no noise <*knock wood*>

Ditto here. Hopefully it will cure the problem, but only time will tell. As mentioned earlier, lets keep this thread going until it's put to bed. I have a maggie waiting to be installed, but I want to resolve this issue before I install it and void my warranty.

vetruck
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm still noise free after about 4700 mi. (knocking on wood). I don't know if they changed something in the rear end or the first was just bad it seems to be fine now.

gonzalezmbox
11-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Based on what the dealer told me, they supposedly changed something in the spec., but who knows. I am touching my contacts in GM to find out more.

webxfx
11-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Has anyone tryied useing Royal Purple's oil?

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html

Sack Rat SS
11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
OK guys, I started this thread last July. To summarize I did the fluid/additive change last July which helped for about 500 miles until the GROAN returned followed by complete carrier replacement about one month ago. I have put another 1,000 miles on since the carrier was replaced and all is well. I did not do any POWER runs for about 500 miles to season the carrier/posi unit. This is just an update. I have 7,000 total miles on my TBSS. :yes: :yes: :yes:

volleypony
12-11-2006, 04:26 PM
I just had to have my TBSS towed back to the dealer. At 2000 miles I had that "groaning" noise. I took it in and they replaced the rear dif. fluid. At about 5000 miles I had the same problem, but I kept driving it until last week, around 8000 miles. I took it in to the dealer on Thurs., got it back on Fri. Saturday morning my husband noticed that it was leaking fluid from the rear dif. :mad: The dealer is sucking up big time!

Hopefully they will just replace it and be done with it. Does anyone know what qualifies for the "lemon law"?

Happy Holidays :)
:worried:

rrmccabe
12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I just had to have my TBSS towed back to the dealer. At 2000 miles I had that "groaning" noise. I took it in and they replaced the rear dif. fluid. At about 5000 miles I had the same problem, but I kept driving it until last week, around 8000 miles. I took it in to the dealer on Thurs., got it back on Fri. Saturday morning my husband noticed that it was leaking fluid from the rear dif. :mad: The dealer is sucking up big time!

Hopefully they will just replace it and be done with it. Does anyone know what qualifies for the "lemon law"?

Dealer just called and said it will be about two more days before I get mine back. They are replacing the rear diff center section. Its already had the entire front carrier replaced. All in 4k miles!

No other issues but I think the drive train on these things are POS !

Envoy Fan
12-11-2006, 05:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your TB SS issues. Hope dealer gets it right this time for you.

Do a Google search on CA lemon law, as each states' law is somewhat different.

jonathan
12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Sorry to hear you guys are having rear end problems. I have 30,000 kms on my SS and not one problem with it making noise. I still have not changed the rear end oil. I have heard Royal Purple is the best and plan to use it.

Raybikes
12-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I just got off the phone with my service writer concerning the rear end noise that I have been noticing, and others have been experiencing as well. Their plan is replace the rear propeller shaft that has a tuned turnsenal dampener; itís supposed to minimize the whining noise coming from the rear end. There is also a fix for AWD too. I have already had the fluids changed out and the noise is still there. The part is on order and should be here in 2 -3 weeks and 30 Ė 60 minutes to install. I did ask for a TSB # and they said their information came from internal and they havenít released a TSB as of yet. For those who have this problem ask your service writer to do a search on rear end whining noise.

AJSZR2326
12-19-2006, 04:39 PM
had noise, fixed it with a louder exhaust:D

lordblack
12-23-2006, 04:35 AM
I have 1200 miles on my new '07 so I took it to my homies at Jiffy Lube and had them service the rear end; yep, fluid was all black and nasty. I had them flush it and its all good now. I'll see what the fluid looks like at 3000.

2002SLT
12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
I have 1200 miles on my new '07 so I took it to my homies at Jiffy Lube

:eek: You're a brave man...

Liquiddi
12-23-2006, 08:27 PM
I have the noise but I'm use to it now. Doesn't bother me anymore.

TXTBSS
12-24-2006, 01:10 AM
"I have 1200 miles on my new '07 so I took it to my homies at Jiffy Lube and had them service the rear end; yep, fluid was all black and nasty. I had them flush it and its all good now. I'll see what the fluid looks like at 3000."

You probably could have had the fluid replaced yesterday and they would show you a spot on a white laminated card showing black fluid today. They get paid to make you do additional fluid changes.

My rear-end was replaced at about 2500 miles due to grinding. It still isn't silent, but it is much better.

vetruck
12-24-2006, 04:18 AM
You probably could have had the fluid replaced yesterday and they would show you a spot on a white laminated card showing black fluid today. They get paid to make you do additional fluid changes.

My rear-end was replaced at about 2500 miles due to grinding. It still isn't silent, but it is much better.

Lol, homies at Jiffy Lube :dielaugh:

Mine was replaced at 2500 too and still has a little whine at certain speeds. I think with the 4.10's, it will never be completely silent though.

a990dna
12-24-2006, 01:37 PM
I realize this is a GM warranty issue, has any one considered a complete rear diff/axle swap?...

I don't know what GM installed under there, it would be nice to know this could be cured with a more robust custom built unit from Currie, Mosure, etc.

Maybe a Moser 60, 9" or 12 bolt would do.

hemithis
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM
RAYBIKES- It's been almost a month since your original post. My SS whines under accelleration and at cruise - gone when coasting. No probs when backing up or turning with posi clutch noises. Did you get the rear prop shaft and damper installed yet? Did it reduce or eliminate the whine?

PA-Skater
01-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Mine getting the repair this week. Just wondering how the fix effects lockup for traction. Presently it locks up very fast, which I presume is why it makes the noise.

BTW, if it wasn't so loud I wouldn't worry about the noise since I know what the cause is. I'm more worried if I ever sold the TBSS when it was out of warranty. To most it would kill the sale.

Liquiddi
01-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Mine has always made the grinding noise which did get better after they replaced the Fluid. Never had a whine on the road though.

John Skiba
01-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Mines got a speed relate whine only on acceleration from the rear differential. Seems worse at about 45-55mph on the gas (part throttle). Will change the fuild with Redline and see what happens.

I believe I heard this sound or similar before and it was from a set of poorly installed 4.10 in some f-bodies. (poorly set ring/pinion).

Don't have the clunking though. :) However the grinding is more than bad enough to be annoying.

AJSZR2326
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
i shouldnt have said anything ,now at 11,000 miles i got the whine at 20 mph and above , almost like a s/c whine, mine doesnt make any other noises when turning or backing up,sounds louder when you let off the gas. definetely from the rear diff. going to dealer thursday will get any info and pass it on.

Voytrail
11-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Guys,
I have a 2002 Trailblazer LTZ with only 66270km (kilometers and not miles) on it. I am very picky about my car and I pay good money to keep it in tip-top shape. This 2002 TB LTZ is a fantastic super fast truck and it is a joy driving it. However, since two weeks ago I encountered a problem that is driving me crazy. I try to explain it the best I can, and I appreciate any information that you might have in this regard. PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. For me In order to get to my parking lot from the city street I have to make a right turn --at very low speed-- and then continue driving straight for 50 feet -- at same low speed-- and then make a left turn. At this very moment (when I am making this left turn) It feels like one of tires is stuck momenterily to the road and trying to catch up with the truck and I get -JUST FOR A FRANTION OF A SECOND- the sensation of a small kick from tires . I must say tThere is ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE or VIBRATION, whatsoever, when this happens. This is on a dry asphalt and at 2W drive. The funy thing is that I have to do exactly the same right and left turn (from cold) to get out my parking lot , BUT this happens ONLY and ONLY when I try to get to my damn parking lot and absolutely at no other driving situation. I have taken it to repaire shop and they cannot find anything wrong with my 2002 TB LTZ. As a precaution I changed the rear and front diffrential fluid , but to no avail. Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks.