rear swaybar link problems? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: rear swaybar link problems?

titan9
08-02-2005, 09:26 PM
after replacing the front swaybar links as advised by the chevy dealer i'm still hearing a clinking and squeaking noise from under the truck everytime i drive over bumps and bumpy roads. i think i have it narrowed down to the rear of the trailblazer because when i drive very slow over the same bump i don't hear the noise until the rear tires go over the bump. has anyone had a problem with the rear links? does anyone have any ideas what else the clinking and squeaking could be if not the links? any input would be greatly appreciated!

Envoy Fan
08-02-2005, 09:58 PM
after replacing the front swaybar links as advised by the chevy dealer i'm still hearing a clinking and squeaking noise from under the truck everytime i drive over bumps and bumpy roads. i think i have it narrowed down to the rear of the trailblazer because when i drive very slow over the same bump i don't hear the noise until the rear tires go over the bump. has anyone had a problem with the rear links? does anyone have any ideas what else the clinking and squeaking could be if not the links? any input would be greatly appreciated!

Probably the rear links. Replace them with Moog parts, as they have a grease fitting in them. :m2:

tbmdsd
08-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Did my fronts with Moogs and now onto tthe rears too.

titan9
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
how do the links cause a clanking and squeaking noise? when going over bumps? i moved them around by hand and i don't hear anything.

Trailblazin
08-02-2005, 10:32 PM
ive been having this problem for over 6months now....its got so bad to the extent that i want to sell my TB.....it sounds like thinks clashing together, or even better lets say you have a tray of forks and you move it up and down rapidly, thats the noise i get when i go over bumps....

can this be fixed!?!?! :confused:

Trailblazin
08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
of to the dealership today to buy some new shock absorbers, i hope they have the bilsteins in stock...knowing kuwait they probably don't!!! :mad: im also going to look into the sway bar links....hopefully that will solve all my rattling and bumping around :undecided ill post back and let you guys know what happens

Trailblazin
08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
i bought the sway bar links and the noise has gone!! :D :D :D finally, and i also bought some new shock absorbers for the front and rear but only installed the rear so far and ride comfort has improved dramatically, i cant wait to install the front.....

anybody have any suspension problems or rattling on the undercarriage just spend around $350 and your ride will be as good as new :m2:

FattyTBEXT
08-03-2005, 06:42 PM
I had to have my sway bar links replaced too. I wonder if they would have installed a Hotchkiss for me if I had bought it... :undecided

Envoy Fan
08-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I had to have my sway bar links replaced too. I wonder if they would have installed a Hotchkiss for me if I had bought it... :undecided

I had the local muffler shop install my Hotchkis. Charged me $25.00. Took them less than 15 minutes. :)

Trailblazin
08-05-2005, 02:46 PM
whats a hotchkiss?

Envoy Fan
08-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Check their website out.

http://www.hotchkis.net

Neil Patel
10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Bought some Moog stabilizer bar links for the front end. I don't have a grease gun. Can I just fill the chambers with chassis lube and put the fittings on there, or is it necessary to install the fitting and inject the grease in there (perhaps to pressurize it)? Grease guns aren't a big investment but I would rather not spend the money just for a one-time use and have it sitting around.

tblazed
10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
You need to put the grease into the new link joints with a grease gun so the grease will go in under pressure and get in between the moving parts and bearing surfaces, plus you need to re-grease these periodically, squirt a little fresh grease in maybe once or twice a year, to maintain them and keep them quiet.

Envoy Fan
10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Bought some Moog stabilizer bar links for the front end. I don't have a grease gun. Can I just fill the chambers with chassis lube and put the fittings on there, or is it necessary to install the fitting and inject the grease in there (perhaps to pressurize it)? Grease guns aren't a big investment but I would rather not spend the money just for a one-time use and have it sitting around.

You could always take the links to a quick change oil place and get them to inject the grease into the fittings. Probably cost as much as buying a low priced grease gun, but you would not have it sitting aroung. As tblazed said, the links need a new shot of grease once or twice a year. Again, the place that changes your oil could do it, if you don't change your own oil.

Neil Patel
10-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys, I had a suspicion they needed pressure. I'll just suck it up and buy the gun since I'm not due for an oil change yet, they are pretty cheap and I'll probably find use for one at some point (when I replace the rears). Adding 15 or 20 bucks to the cost of the links is still about $300 less than what the dealer wanted to replace the parts!

ScarabEpic22
10-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I think it is time for my links to be replaced. They have been making noise when I go over large bumps, and I am sick of the noise. I looked at the Moog and then the OE parts, and why would anyone pay $8-10 more for each of the swaybar links than the much better Moog parts? I dont get it. I think the Moog parts added up to be about $80 + s&h for me. I am waiting to order, as I just bought the Husky Liners, and need some more money in the "Mod-the-TB" fund! :D

BlazinTBlzr
12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
OK, so I need to replace the rear link stuff and it is eaither go with the Moog parts or replace the entire unit with the Hoctkis bar. Hell the stealership wanted $260 to do the replacement with stock items!

so can this be done on ramps and in the driveway?

Envoy Fan
12-05-2005, 01:57 PM
OK, so I need to replace the rear link stuff and it is eaither go with the Moog parts or replace the entire unit with the Hoctkis bar. Hell the stealership wanted $260 to do the replacement with stock items!

so can this be done on ramps and in the driveway?

If you go with the Hotchkis rear stabilizer bar you will still need new rear end links if they are bad. My local muffler shop swapped the stabilizer bar in 10 minutes for $25.00 labor charge. Could do in driveway with jack stands.

chasmanz28
12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I think it is time for my links to be replaced. They have been making noise when I go over large bumps, and I am sick of the noise. I looked at the Moog and then the OE parts, and why would anyone pay $8-10 more for each of the swaybar links than the much better Moog parts? I dont get it. I think the Moog parts added up to be about $80 + s&h for me. I am waiting to order, as I just bought the Husky Liners, and need some more money in the "Mod-the-TB" fund! :DYou think i should order the links for my 05? Im changing the rear sway bar when it comes in, or should i wait. How long do links last, and wouldnt that be under warrenty if they went?

jimmyjam
12-06-2005, 12:59 PM
You think i should order the links for my 05? Im changing the rear sway bar when it comes in, or should i wait. How long do links last, and wouldnt that be under warrenty if they went?If you don't hear them, I wouldn't bother. I hear the front ones a little bit, and mine is an 02 with 45k on it, but I've heard of people on here who have had to get them replaced much sooner.

Envoy Fan
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
You think i should order the links for my 05? Im changing the rear sway bar when it comes in, or should i wait. How long do links last, and wouldnt that be under warrenty if they went?

Yes, warranty will pay for the replacement. But they put the same kind of part back in and it does not have the grease fittings like the Moog ones. I did not replace mine 'cause they weren't broken when I installed the Hotchkis.

ScarabEpic22
12-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah, dont replace them unless they are really broken, but mine have been really bugging me for the past few weeks, and as long as I am going to install my Hotchkis in a few weekends when I have time, I figured might as well do it all at the same time since the links will be uncoupled anyway.

BlazinTBlzr
04-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Hate to bring this up again...so to replace these the bar is not "loaded up" as in you would have to support the swaybar from springing out of position?
I can move the bar by hand when under the vehicle. Seems to me you can just undo one side replace and do the other right on the ground...yes/no?

tblazed
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Hate to bring this up again...so to replace these the bar is not "loaded up" as in you would have to support the swaybar from springing out of position?
I can move the bar by hand when under the vehicle. Seems to me you can just undo one side replace and do the other right on the ground...yes/no?

Yes. Can be done that way. No tension on the bar if the vehicle is sitting flat side-to-side. I put a floor jack under the trailer hitch and raised the rear a few inches to get some working room. As long as you can get a wrench on the nuts while you hold the center with a hex wrench, 6mm as I recall, no problem.

BlazinTBlzr
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks, not that I don't have a clue just making sure....:thumbsup: