Dead battery-can't get key out of ignition [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Dead battery-can't get key out of ignition

87octane
08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
'06 TBSS, AWD. Battery is dead. Use key to unlock driver door. Stuff key in ignition, twist, no display on dashboard. Battery is very, very dead. Turn key back, key won't turn back to "remove" position? WTF?
I can't get the damn key out of the ignition because the battery is dead and some stupid solenoid won't let the key twist back to the off position? Brilliant. F'ing brilliant. Where's my spare? Oh she has it at work. So I have to lock the truck with the key stuck in the ignition switch and "Oh yeah, the battery's dead and the key fob won't get me back in the truck, with all my work stuff locked in the cab." Chevy, what were you morons thinking????

ieatglue
08-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Just take the FOB off the keychain! Then get a new battery and you can use the key fob :D And yeah, the engineers were high on glue! Some people...why are you guys looking at me :confused:

APDMC6008
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Uhh, Glue...if the batteries in the truck are dead, then the key fob will be useless. :yes: The reciever will not have any power to recieve the signal, much less open the locks. :no:

ieatglue
08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
No i mean when he takes it out and locks the truck to get a new battery...when he comes back and replaces the battery, he'll have to unlock it. If the key's stuck, but the has power, he can always use the key fob...get it?

azachata
08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
But how would he get inside the cab with a fob that doesnt work because the reciever needs the battery but the battery cant be installed because the hood opener leaver is inside? Break the hood? :confused: :D

ylab
08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Glue, with the doors all locked to protect the contents of the truck....how does he get the hood up, if the door doesn't unlock via the remote? I think he wants to lock the truck to go get a battery, but then he's stuck until the 2nd key arrives to unlock the door to pop the hood.

What might work is to connect a set of jumper cable from another vehicle or jump-start box, remove the key ..... it will have power from the cables and then lock everything up to go get another battery.

Surprised a battery in an '06 would be dead already.....AC Delco must really be having problems.

ieatglue
08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, he can always just pop the hood, but not completely open it. That's what my dad and I did

tblazed
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Might take a look and see if this applies to your '06.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=106534&postcount=3

My '02 has a little plugged hole in the steering column. Remove the plug, push the button and turn key to remove.

Also on the rear hatch inside panel there is a hole on mine with a round cover over it about 1 1/2" dia down low covering the latch mechanism. Remove that cover and you can manually push something not sure what and open the lift gate. I havent actually done it but you should be able to manually open it from that hole.

Dave
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
It might not be a dead battery. It could be the transmission shift interlock. That would prevent you from removing the key. Make sure the tranny is in park (it probably is already) and move it around a few times. My first Denali wouldn't let the key out at times until I moved the tranny lever. They had to replace the lever. I did still have battery power though, but not much worked.

I think GM designed it this way for security reasons (maybe the security system screwed up also). Look at it this way. Someone can't cut power to your vehicle, stick a key in the ignition, put the tranny in neutral and tow away.

SSkeetobite
08-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Glue, with the doors all locked to protect the contents of the truck....how does he get the hood up, if the door doesn't unlock via the remote? I think he wants to lock the truck to go get a battery, but then he's stuck until the 2nd key arrives to unlock the door to pop the hood.

What might work is to connect a set of jumper cable from another vehicle or jump-start box, remove the key ..... it will have power from the cables and then lock everything up to go get another battery.

Surprised a battery in an '06 would be dead already.....AC Delco must really be having problems.

This may sound silly and maybe I got something nobody else got here... but what about the "second key". Sounds wierd, but it shoud open the door just like the first key did. If you can open the door, you can pop the hood.

Call me crazy.... but it might work.

ieatglue
08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
HAHA I love that avatar!! I think he said that his wife took it with her... "Where's my spare? Oh she has it at work"

Mada123
08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
This may sound silly and maybe I got something nobody else got here... but what about the "second key". Sounds wierd, but it shoud open the door just like the first key did. If you can open the door, you can pop the hood.

Call me crazy.... but it might work.

:crazy: Crazy

pop the hood but don't open it lock the doors and get a new battery.

maxgiben
08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Maybe a bit off topic, (sorry in advance) but... how many SS trucks have had the battery go dead? Mine died an early death at about 6K! (replaced under warranty) I have never had a battery fail that quick, (this is my 12th new vehicle), I wonder if the heat inside the engine compartment has anything to do with it? :confused:

IMHO, I have heard of extreme engine compartment temps causing batteries to fail, and I think this could be the reason? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

majorpain
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
You really have 3 choices here.
1 you can call gm if you are still under warrenty and they will send someone out with a new one install it and you are on your way, I new a TB owner that did this
2 you can give the battery a shot of juice which will allow you to remove the key (recommended) you dont know what computer settings will change when you hook up the new battery.
3 lock all doors, remove the fob key pop the hood in first position run like hell to the store to get replacement or to GM but beware if it is a warrenty item they might not cover it since you removed it and they cannot verify which vehicle it came out of.
Then get back hook it up and hit the fob key and your door should unlock.

I would go with option 1

J.C.

ieatglue
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
They offer different warranties, buy the long one. we got a 3 year warranty for our battery, and paid $10 for an additional 6 years!! that's 9 years total!

ehall0527
08-16-2006, 01:28 AM
I'm with tblazed on this one...I think the easiest solution is to see if the TBSS has that same key-release button under the steering wheel. I use it all the time when removing my dash.

Silver06SS
08-20-2006, 09:32 PM
So did the key come out when you changed the battery?

I was thinking it might be the steering wheel lock keeping the key from turning....or is that only when you try to turn it on?

reallyBIGfuzzy
08-20-2006, 09:38 PM
what about gm's roadside assistance?!?! call them up and have em come out and either jump your battery, or tow it to the dealership.