What bulbs do I need to replace A/C lights in dash? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: What bulbs do I need to replace A/C lights in dash?

Braves299
08-17-2005, 12:37 AM
The two bulbs are out for the dual climate control switches in the middle (the ones that adjust blue to red) I took the entire thing apart, and found they are tiny bulbs that are connected to a computer chip. Can these even be replaced? If so, is there a part number?

04TBEXT
08-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Sorry Braves... Bulbs are not serviceable separately; control head replacement must be done.

Braves299
08-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah I just went to the dealer today and he told me the entire thing would have to be replaced (about $300) so I may just have to live with it. Thanks for the reply.

Jman423
08-18-2005, 05:22 AM
eBay, I just looked and there were a few of them, and they were nowhere near $300. Have you checked http://GMPARTSDIRECT.com, you can get the part number from your existing unit. Hope that helps. :cool:

tblazed
08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Are the bulbs soldered onto the board, or do they unscrew with a quarter turn?

Braves299
08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
The are soldered into the board.

Envoy Fan
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
The are soldered into the board.

That is just so wrong. Totally sucks :worried:

Braves299
08-20-2005, 08:55 PM
That is just so wrong. Totally sucks :worried:

Yeah HONESTLY! I was able to get one of them to work again. I just wiggled it around and it works again.. but the other one is still out.

ChadC
09-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah I had the same problem with mine. Luckily I screamed so much to GM the ended up giving me and extended GM major guard warranty for free.. I told them it was either that or it was coming back under the lemon law. I now have well over 30 days in service in less than 2 years on my 03. I think GM needs to start looking at some recalls on these!!

blu ya
09-20-2005, 04:40 AM
I had the same problem with the window switches on the driver side and had those replaced under warranty and about three months out of warranty my climate control lights went out, had to get it off of ebay. Works great, and only cost me $15 total for shipping. But I do think there is an issue that GM should look at.

Tim

drdoug
02-15-2006, 12:31 AM
One of the two bulbs around my passenger-side climate control on my '02 LTZ was burned out when I got the vehicle used with 27K miles. Now at 94K, the other half let go. I found out that Radio Shack stocks the exact lamp - catalog #272-1154 $1.49 each. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it is very easy to replace, and MUCH less expensive than replacing the whole control - even when purchased on ebay. Most of the lamps have a blue rubber boot around them, and it's often slightly welded by heat to the old lamps, but it can easily be coaxed off without damage.

I replaced both lamps, but unfortunately two more let go during the process, so I pulled it apart again and replaced the other 9. Now if I could just find a source for the radio buttons that can no longer be identified due to flaking paint :worried:

zamar
02-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Now if I could just find a source for the radio buttons that can no longer be identified due to flaking paint :worried:

look here at post #15 http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=3913&highlight=radio+buttons

Just did a search on radio buttons. Oh yeah.. Welcome to the site drdoug.

drdoug
02-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks Zamar. I had seen that post earlier (been lurking a while), and will be buying those for my steering wheel. The buttons that are really bad are on the HU itself. I did some more searching and found this post http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=2078 that holstdb provided a link. Now I just need to pull the radio (wished I would have done it while I had the dash apart replacing the lampt) and get the buttons ordered.

Thanks for the welcome and the help!

Braves299
02-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Yup, I wound up buying a soldering gun and replacing them myself as well. When I was done, I replaced the soldering gun and got my money back. haha.

LMMJ
02-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Same thing has happened to me a few times recently. I just took the knobs and moved them up and down real quick and they work.

Been a few days since it's happened

tryphln1
05-01-2006, 12:18 AM
my drivers side climate control light has been out for at least 6 months and last night i noticed it was back on, i dont know what happened to it....

Braves299
05-01-2006, 01:21 AM
It is a bad connection. I fixed mine by taking out the console and taking it apart. I heated up where the bulb was soldered into the circuit board and pulled it out. I then re-soldered a new bulb in there and it works now.

tryphln1
05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
im going to have to pull mine apart, i noticed coming home from work its out again....:mad:

mtennisobc
05-02-2006, 01:09 AM
I need to do the same thing

jayrod
06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
I have a couple out also. Why why why do they think they need to solder them at the factory. What was wrong with the old way of doing things? Just so they can sell more part assemblies at high cost I guess. If they were going to solder them you would think they would put some bulbs in there that would last!!:duh:
I guess I will wait until a couple more of them go out before it bothers me to the point of having to solder new ones in.

ColoradoBlazer
06-20-2009, 05:14 PM
My d. side light went out today. How do you get to these bulbs? I have no problem with soldering, but don't know how to take the panel apart.

Chevy-TB-lover
06-20-2009, 06:38 PM
My d. side light went out today. How do you get to these bulbs? I have no problem with soldering, but don't know how to take the panel apart.

Which panel? There should be screws or clips.

ColoradoBlazer
06-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Which panel?! The one this whole thread is about. The climate control red/blue display.

ghoster
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Which panel?! The one this whole thread is about. The climate control red/blue display.

I believe he meant which panel... as in the whole dash or just the a/c unit?? There are instructions for removing the dash in various how to articles. Click on articles at the top and look around, lots of great info in there.:cool:

This article is about the cluster, but it describes the dash removal.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=100

ColoradoBlazer
06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
:mad: Can anyone just tell me how to get to the little bulbs that make my temp. controls pretty red and pretty blue, right in front of my shifter and above the 12 volt outlets? :duh:

ghoster
06-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Sure, remove the dash, remove the a/c control unit. Release the tabs on the sides of the control unit and expose the circuit board. De-solder the bulbs and replace.

ColoradoBlazer
06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Don't take anyone of my above tantrum personal; I'm just letting my TrailBlazer LP get to me. Are you saying I have to remove the whole dash?:eek::duh::hissy::bonk::suicide:

ghoster
06-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Don't take anyone of my above tantrum personal; I'm just letting my TrailBlazer LP get to me. Are you saying I have to remove the whole dash?:eek::duh::hissy::bonk::suicide:

Yes, but just the part surrounding the radio, a/c and guage cluster. Its all one part and has to be removed to get the A/C unit out. Its really quite simple. Go to the article I posted, it describes the screw locations. Once you have the plastic dash part off, you will see how to get the a/c unit out. The screws will be exposed at that point.

ColoradoBlazer
06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
That article shows a screw next to the outlets but the rest is about removing the cluster (which will be very helpful because I need to do that anyway to replace the #$% lens!).

ghoster
06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Thats the only picture, but it describes the others in writing. I want to say its the one by the outlet, 2 by the cluster, 2 to lower the knee bolster, and 2 that will be exposed one the knee bolster is lowered. Once the the screws are out, a little tug and the whole thing pops loose. Then you have to wiggle it over the steering wheel. I promise its not that hard, once you get started you will see what I mean. :cool:

ColoradoBlazer
06-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks, time to work on my Lemon Package!:excited:

csatellite
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
One of the two bulbs around my passenger-side climate control on my '02 LTZ was burned out when I got the vehicle used with 27K miles. Now at 94K, the other half let go. I found out that Radio Shack stocks the exact lamp - catalog #272-1154 $1.49 each. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it is very easy to replace, and MUCH less expensive than replacing the whole control - even when purchased on ebay. Most of the lamps have a blue rubber boot around them, and it's often slightly welded by heat to the old lamps, but it can easily be coaxed off without damage.

I replaced both lamps, but unfortunately two more let go during the process, so I pulled it apart again and replaced the other 9. Now if I could just find a source for the radio buttons that can no longer be identified due to flaking paint :worried:
I am going to go out on a limb here and guess you are talking about the buttons on the radio itself. I have to replace a few buttons on my NAV/radio on my 04 TB. I have a source that will work fine. I have used them for the same problem on my 04 Yukon with the same radio setup. While these were for the NAV/Radio I am sure they have others as well if that is not the radio you have. Check them out

http://www.replacementradios.com
Hope this helps.
Arend