Creaking/squeaking sound in front end when braking [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Creaking/squeaking sound in front end when braking

Braves299
08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
My suspension is creaking in the front end. It happens mostly when I brake and the truck bounces up and down. What can I do about this? My brother is a mechanic and told me to spray white lithium grease on all of the main joints behind the wheel. He said it's normal wear and tear and that it will creak when the plastic gets worn down. Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks,
David

Blulytes
08-31-2005, 01:13 PM
I just started noticing mine on alot when the body rolls left / right. Haven't figured out the solution yet, but I'm right there along with you!

tblazed
08-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Does it creak when you push the front-end down and let it up? Might need to grease the stabilizer bar-to-frame bushings. On a 2002 take off the U bracket on each side, move the bushing over and put some grease on the bar and inside the bushing. I use a thick silicone grease similar to what came with my Hotchkis kit that will not absorb water like a lithium wheel bearing grease will do. You might want to consider replacing the stock rubber bushings with some urethane bushings at this time. My 2.

Braves299
08-31-2005, 01:34 PM
No thats the odd part. I can go jump up and down on the front and it will not creak. It's mostly only when I brake.

tblazed
08-31-2005, 03:17 PM
It could be a lot of things, but probably only one. At one time mine started a squeak-creak noise in the front noticeable when I would come down off a speed bump, turn the wheel L-R slightly moving slowly to make the truck roll a little, or just little up-down variations in a parking lot. I tried lubing the rubber hood stops, hood hinge (which can cause a problem like that sometimes, so you might want to try lubing those things) but what it finally turned out to be was a push-pin fastener down under the air cleaner-washer reservoir ass'y that holds the wheel well liner in place. The inside tip was rubbing against a transmission cooler line and squeaking like crazy. Point is, it can be something simple, but hard to find unless you happen to move the part like I did and heard the squeak.

Braves299
08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the help. I will check these things out.

triz
08-31-2005, 04:47 PM
I have that happen to me as well. Usually like you say when I break or go up and down a bumpy road. Sounds like a squeaky bed. :D :confused:

venom blk
08-31-2005, 06:51 PM
it the two black rubber hood stops under the hood. that the hood hit. it looks springs with a rubber cap just tune them, so they will rise up. that will fit the problem

autotech
08-31-2005, 08:53 PM
some of the more common squeaks in the front end of these vehicles are from the hood bumpers, the front sway bar bushings, and the sway bar end links. if you put a little lube on the top of the hood bumpers, it may get rid of the problem. If you want to lube the sway bar bushings, I would suggest coating the bushing on the inside where the bar is, and on the outside where it is in contact with the bracket and where it meets the body. I would suggest using a high temp lube, or anti-seize lubricant. if it is coming from the end links, they will have to be replaced. but the end links usually give a knocking-type noise. good luck!

tb_ky
08-31-2005, 11:25 PM
As other have said...I would guess that its the hood latch or "the rubber things" that adjust the hood height.

triz
09-01-2005, 05:57 PM
it the two black rubber hood stops under the hood. that the hood hit. it looks springs with a rubber cap just tune them, so they will rise up. that will fit the problem

I have the same squeek. And its definetly coming from the suspension.