Stereo Unlock? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Stereo Unlock?

MyTB8u
12-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey all-

I just replaced my 'am/fm' bose headunit with one that has the 'band' button because I wanted to use the USAspec adapter with my mp3 player. Anyways, I installed the stereo and now it just reads 'locked'. Is there anyway to unlock it myself or does this have to be done by the dealer? Also, after getting everything back together I notice the climate control reads -36degrees?!?! I was careful not to bump or break loose any of the climate control connections, and I wasnt sure if this is related to the 'locked' mode which my headunit is in...

any ideas?

MyTB8u
12-12-2006, 08:49 PM
well I found out that if you currently have an 'am/fm - cd/aux' bose stereo and try to swap in a 'band - cd/aux' head unit, it will not work. The 'band' HU will remain in locked mode and cannot be unlocked in that vehicle.

looks like I have to go the aftermarket route after all...

scd0196
12-12-2006, 09:40 PM
well I found out that if you currently have an 'am/fm - cd/aux' bose stereo and try to swap in a 'band - cd/aux' head unit, it will not work. The 'band' HU will remain in locked mode and cannot be unlocked in that vehicle.

looks like I have to go the aftermarket route after all...

Aftermarket will sound much better anyhow! I am getting the Pioneer (DEHP6800) from Circuitcity next week. Here's a pic of the head unit.
I can't wait!! :D

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/pio/EC.PIO.DEHP6800MP.JPG

RayVoy
12-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Iam sure you can unlock the new unit, they all lock when installed in a new vehicle, the radio has the 1st vehicles VIN loaded and if the VINs don't match, the unit locks. The dealer can unlock. But....... you have a problen if the new unit is not a Bose. The old Bose unit uses speakers with amps at the speakers. The non-Bose units use the amps in the HU. If your new unit is not Bose, u need to by-pass the amps, or swap out the speaker units.

MyTB8u
12-13-2006, 11:02 PM
the dealer tried to unlock it for a few hours...called gm tech support and everything they could. They were told that since the deck was out of an '04 it is not compatible with my early '03....

and scratch the aftermarket idea....then it makes my steering wheel controls useless.....dumb!

prolly just be an FM modulator for this guy's mp3 player :mad:

APDMC6008
12-14-2006, 01:28 AM
They changed the databus in the 2003+, from what I understand. I had a 2002 TB and tried to place a 2005 UC6 radio in it, but they got communication failed every time because they couldn't talk to the radio via the databus. They say there are ways to do it, but you have to clear the VIN from the radio outside of the truck, or assign some other VIN to it so it fools it. I gave up and just traded the 2002 in for a 2006 LT. Problem solved!

There is also a caveat if you have a Bose system. You cannot place a non-Bose in a Bose truck, and vice versa. They will not work.

Hope this helps...

Envoy Fan
12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
the dealer tried to unlock it for a few hours...called gm tech support and everything they could. They were told that since the deck was out of an '04 it is not compatible with my early '03....

and scratch the aftermarket idea....then it makes my steering wheel controls useless.....dumb!

prolly just be an FM modulator for this guy's mp3 player :mad:

Member MichEnvoyBoy just put a OEM NAV in his 2002 Envoy. It can be done. Search under his screen name for his comments.

rbarrios
12-14-2006, 03:58 PM
well if you get an FM modulator- and it has an FM out connection- do what I did...

I have a sirius starmate. the FM transmitter sounded really bad.
the unit does have an FM out jack.
I bought a connector the plugs into the FM OUT and then it is connected inline between the cars antenna cable and the antenna IN jack at the back of the radio. Works great.

MichEnvoyBoy
01-02-2007, 10:55 AM
They changed the databus in the 2003+, from what I understand. I had a 2002 TB and tried to place a 2005 UC6 radio in it, but they got communication failed every time because they couldn't talk to the radio via the databus. They say there are ways to do it, but you have to clear the VIN from the radio outside of the truck, or assign some other VIN to it so it fools it. I gave up and just traded the 2002 in for a 2006 LT. Problem solved!

BS. They didnt change the databus in the T360's from 2002 to anything. They DID HOWEVER, change the data-bus in the full size GM trucks/SUV's to the Class 2 databus in 2003. Some GM cars had the class 2 since 2000. This is the mis-information that is out there - people assume that the T360 is the same as the full size GM trucks/SUVs and its not.

ALL 2002 T360's have the Class 2 databus from the factory. Period. Just like 2003+. And to top it off my Envoy's build date was 2-14-2001 so technically mine is a VERY early 2002. I just took out my 6 disc BOSE head unit and installed the GM NAV LUX head unit. It works awesome - I didnt even have to get my VIN programmed into it because it was cleared from the seller on ebay. :) GM incorporated the new databus on the T360 from the very 1st one that rolled off the assembly line. But read on ...

A lot of confusion lies with the amplifiers. Before you change the radios out you need to make sure your new radio will communicate with your amp. Otherwise it will not work and you will get a communication error (on the Class 2 databus between the amp and the new head unit!). I know firsthand because I goofed and bought a NON-LUX NAV head unit and tried installing it. It kept giving communication errors and wouldnt work. Well duh, it wasnt the right head unit.

Another tidbit of info thats unknown to most. 2002-2003 T360s with the uplevel BOSE stereo (6 disc and rpo codes YC6 and UQA) have the "smart" class 2 amplifiers. A LUX head unit is required on these models. That, my friends, is factual :D

I hope that people can reference my write ups out on the web on my NAV experience so that they didnt go through what I had to do the NAV swap. Its the same for anybody even if they want to swap their 1 disc to a 6 disc changer. Same rules apply. Lux amp=uplevel radio. Non-lux or no amp=nonlux radio.