TRANSFER CASE FLUID? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: TRANSFER CASE FLUID?

thecarbonman
09-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Has anyone used anything other than GM fluid in their transfer case? I know there is a GM SPEC #, somewhere I thought I saw where AMSOIL has an oil they say will work. Any help on this subject. Thanks

ScarabEpic22
09-26-2005, 01:36 AM
To my knowledge AMSOIL does not have a fluid that will work, and I am a preferred customer and get their newsletters. I put in AutoTrak II fluid, 2qts. You will have some left over in the bottles because they are liters, not qts. I will look into the AMSOIL fluid though, and get back to you on it, eventually! :D

ScarabEpic22
09-26-2005, 01:43 AM
I looked at Amsoils website, and now see that they offer a fluid for the Transfer Case,W/ manual trc. I know this is not applicable to 4WD trucks, but it says for vehicles with this, you can use ATF. I know for my transfer case, NV226, only AutoTrak II will work.

Wxman
09-26-2005, 11:57 PM
FWIW
I haven't changed out the transfer case yet, but am a fan of Redline products. According to their 'cheat sheet':
GM Automatic Transfer Case Fluid, GM PT# 12378508 (Blue), can be replaced with Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lube).

Good luck
Wxman

thecarbonman
09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the input on this, I guess I'll just go with GM fluid then add IXL METAL FRICTION PROTECTOR, I have never had to change the transfer case oil on my NP208 since adding IXL, the ATF is still clear red after 65,000 miles. Before I was changing it every 25,000 miles because it was turning black.
Again THANKS.

thecarbonman
10-04-2005, 09:12 PM
FWIW
I haven't changed out the transfer case yet, but am a fan of Redline products. According to their 'cheat sheet':
GM Automatic Transfer Case Fluid, GM PT# 12378508 (Blue), can be replaced with Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lube).

Good luck
Wxman
After further research I going with you Wxman. I did contact Redline Corporate and they said the MTL would meet GM specs but because GMs fluid is blue, to save any problems to wait until warranty had expired to change. That is from Redline. This B.S. of manufactures forcing people to buy from them because they claim only theirs works, not to mention they hold you hostage by charging a big price, pisses me off. Because of that I won't buy GM S--T if it is a dollar a quart and was not for sure that was how I was going to go in the first place. We owned a Dodge and they did the same crap, being an old mechanic I remember when we put FORD type F in everything, so I contacted an old tranny shop in Vegas and they are now putting DEXRON in everything. GEE that Dodge worked great after they servicing it and adding DEXRON. I drove it 40,000 before buying our TB no troubles. According to Dodge Mopar-4 was needed. @ $9.00/QT vs DEXRON @ $2.00/QT. Enough out of me, if you didn't get it that's OK.

Tom1999d
10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
The fluid is only $6 per quart and you need 2 quarts. For $12 I'm not going to worry about buying GM Brand.

Amsoil SVG is a good substuite for the GM synthetic Differential oil in the front (1 qt) & rear Differential (2qts).

No matter what change these fluids at least every 50 k miles if you want your truck to last.

Bearcat
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
After further research I going with you Wxman. I did contact Redline Corporate and they said the MTL would meet GM specs but because GMs fluid is blue, to save any problems to wait until warranty had expired to change. That is from Redline. This B.S. of manufactures forcing people to buy from them because they claim only theirs works, not to mention they hold you hostage by charging a big price, pisses me off. Because of that I won't buy GM S--T if it is a dollar a quart and was not for sure that was how I was going to go in the first place. We owned a Dodge and they did the same crap, being an old mechanic I remember when we put FORD type F in everything, so I contacted an old tranny shop in Vegas and they are now putting DEXRON in everything. GEE that Dodge worked great after they servicing it and adding DEXRON. I drove it 40,000 before buying our TB no troubles. According to Dodge Mopar-4 was needed. @ $9.00/QT vs DEXRON @ $2.00/QT. Enough out of me, if you didn't get it that's OK.
Don't blame GM or Dodge for making a fluid that works, blame the rest of the manufacturers out there for not making a product that meets spec! :rolleyes:

Customgod227
10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
This might sound like the worst question in the world. But is there a way you can check the front and rear diff fluid? I have never owned a rear-wheel drive vehicle, and am unsure if you can do this, and if you can, where to check it. Thanks for the help!

jD_Empath
11-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Bringing the thread back to life....

You can check the oil in your diffs by removing the fill plugs located about halfway up. Stick your finger in and feel for the level of the oil. It should be at least within 1/2" of the fill hole. If the fluid is black and not nice and oily, change it.

rbarrios
11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
heres my rear end....
see the little round plu with square in the middle...
http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarrios2/rearplug.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarrios2/diff4.JPG

and some of the earlier rear ends have a drain plug on the bottom
http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarrios2/diff3.JPG

Customgod227
11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks! Those pictures really help out alot!!