Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

sealed or ported?

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  yak8998 
#1 · (Edited)
i was thinking getting a new box possibly some new subs. Which box type is louder?? sealed or ported???? i was thinking about either the 12 or 15 rockford T1's:)??? or maybe some 15" P3's. what do you think and how many of each. Right now i have 3 12" p3's.

#2 ·
PORTED ... go with a ported and get a great amp .. seriously don't short change yourself and get great subs and **** it up with a ***** cheap amp

match it up with specs etc.

but ported boxes let more air flow to the sub and it pushes out through the port also

MUCH LOUDER

#3 ·
Depends on the bass you want to have. Sealed boxes give you a nice crisp bass. I have a Q logic box and it can be sealed or ported. I tried the ported for about 6 months and it did all right but you have to tune the ports so that it sounds good. Now i go with a sealed box and i think it bumps a little better. Another thing is get some poly fill and thow it in your box. Makes a big difference.

#6 ·
so ported?

ok so i should go with the ported. Now what about the subs?? i have 3 12" p3s in a sealed right now. should i try them in a ported box frist? i want to either get 3 15" p3s or go with something new and get the rockford t1's, either 12"'s or 15"s not sure yet. what do you guys think?

#9 ·
stay away from the T1s, they are CRAP.
what kind of budget are you looking at, for amps and subs?
I don't think you'll get much more output moving to 15" P3s from 12"s.
Try mempis PRs or cerwinvega vmaxes. If you can get a single vmax, it will destroy your sonys, those suckers are LOUD.

You can get sealed sound from a ported box, you just have to tune it very very low, which reduces the volume. If you just want it to bump, get a ported box, tune between 30-35hz. It will still be pretty clean, but you will get a lot more volume. Those sonys dont need much power at all running ported, so be careful with your gains.

and as far as the amp, get something reliable, don't worry about branding. A sony gtx will work perfectly fine, you just don't want anything that will break. power is power - until you get a $1000 set of componets, and are sitting in your driveway with the car off, listening, it will all sound the same. Theres a reason no one has yet to win Richard Clark's amp contest :D
Not saying there isn't a difference in amps (listen to some at a home theatre store), just that you won't be able to hear the difference in the car, no matter what anyone tells you (unless your going from a total crap amp, like jensen, volfenhag, frontier, etc)

#13 ·
ok here is what i would do

if your still not satisfied with 3 ****in p3's in the back you must be deaf because thats loud regardless.....

but i would just put that in a ported box first and if that isn't what you are looking for i would suggest you should hold out till Rockford Fostgate comes out with the T2's .... apparently they will come out sooner or later and they are expected to **** over JL w7

all though get the box first then if ur not satisfied i would get (2) 15's with that monsterous amp Rockford makes ... not the punch series that other big ****er i think its like 4800 watts or somethin

but thats a rumor but if it is true i will get (1) t2 12" and thats my :m2:

#15 ·
If you aren't set on RF, you can get some great deals on high quality, but lesser known, equipment. Resonant Engineering, Digital Designs, Adire Audio, Beyond Audio, and many others. See if you can find someone local who runs equipment that isn't available locally. Some of it is crap, but some of it is great stuff.

#16 ·
well everything i have right now is rf. so i would be keeping everything the same and just change the subs. right now thouhg i think im going o try and find some ported boxes for my 12" p3's. if they really amazing and loud then i will just keep them and prolly get a custom box from gatelyaudio. but for now just triing to find some good ported boxes for my subs.

#17 ·
I'd recommend against most prefab ported boxes. You really need a box that is optimized for your subs. If you are going to get a Gately box eventually, you'd really be best off building the same box in MDF to see how it sounds. You can try several different possibilities if you want and it will be cheap with MDF. Plexi is much more expensive if it doesn't perform the way you want.

#18 ·
tblazin18 said:
ok none of the speakers i listed are sony sorry pal. There all rockford fosqate subs. i already have the amps considering i already have the p3s now. The T1 is suppose to be better than the p3 , so how could that be a bad idea?
sorry, i was thinking of the p5s. no need to be an ass about it tho...

And the T1 might be better than the p3, but that would make the p3 total crap in my book. I got to play with the T1s once - not too great of power handling, they had a cone slap (think aluminum cone), and they were a bitch to get sounding good (I think we eventually went with a very large sealed box). Plus, for what your usually paying, theres a ton of better stuff. By all means though, if you like the subs, go with it. I imagine the P3s would be louder than the T1s tho...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.