Muffler Blew Its Stuffing [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Muffler Blew Its Stuffing

CodyC6
02-10-2007, 01:26 AM
I don't know how to explain this, and have certainly never seen this before. Came out to my truck after dinner tonight and my gal says look at this. On the back hatch area, there a was a big wad of stringy gray hair like material. I thought somebody had put something on my hatch, so I went to pull it off. I realized that the material was coming out of my tailpipe. I had to tug pretty hard and pulled it out of my tailpipe, and it was a huge wad of spun fiberglass, like the material they stuff mufflers with. I just kept coming out of the tailpipe.

My TBSS has 400 miles, and I think my muffler just blew its stuffing out of the exhaust. Sounds crazy, but it happened. I shined a flashlight up the tailpipe, and I don't see anything else up there, and it all looks perfectly clean with nothing broken etc. It would be nice to know if this has happened to anybody else, but I can't even imagine. Now if I could just get the fiberglass out of my hands. Been using tape all night pulling it out of my hands.

TonyGXP
02-10-2007, 01:41 AM
nope..none that i heard of so far?

WBH SS
02-10-2007, 10:08 AM
What does it sound like, now?

Juice
02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
It might have come from the stock resonator since that is right near the exhaust outlet

Sparkz28ss
02-10-2007, 02:18 PM
....:dielaugh:

blktbz
02-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Got any pics?

revenknight
02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
What does it sound like, now?

Got any pics?

:iagree:

CodyC6
02-11-2007, 12:23 AM
No real change in sound.

Don't have any pictures yet, but I did keep the material in case I have any further issues, and can show I'm not crazy. If I can get a couple photos, I'll attach later. Almost looks like the hair from a gray wig, but the fibers are really thin. The wad of fibers is probably enough to fill a freezer bag loosely. If it was from the muffler, I would think there would be more, but then again, that was what left hanging out of the tailpipe. I had not thought about the resonator, that is a good point, and probably more likely. I can still feel the fibers in my fingers and wrist a little today.

Oh well, just when you think you seen it all, your truck blows a big glob of hair out its Ahole. That is what happens when you have a build date of 10/31 Halloween. :laugh: Hey, maybe it's witches hair.

Bulldog
02-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe you got the feline model TB and it is a HAIRBALL.:dielaugh:

Sack Rat SS
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
It might have come from the stock resonator since that is right near the exhaust outlet

I would be concerned of packing downstream of both your muffler and resonator. It could not hurt and only help to be sure the entire length from the muffler back is in fact not partially blocked. My 2 cents.

blautens
02-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry for your issues (believe me - I got some, just different), but even if that happened to me, I'd have to laugh.

That images strikes me as funny...

bjozwiak
06-23-2007, 03:58 PM
I had the same thing happen Thursday night. I pulled a 6 foot long wad of "hair" from the tailpipe. Was like hair from a wig. I was surprised it wasnt all black. It was grey, white and black. Very weird I say. My TB has 98k miles on it when this happened.

Bryan

SSinTn
06-24-2007, 04:18 AM
Sounds like a spider problem.:D

ssilicon
06-25-2007, 08:08 PM
You KNOW you are pushing some serious power when you can blow the fiberglass right out of the muffler! :thumbsup:

DucatiSS
06-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Got any pics?

Don't have any pictures yet, but I did keep the material in case I have any further issues, and can show I'm not crazy. If I can get a couple photos, I'll attach later.

Of your gal silly, not the nasty old muffler hair. :dielaugh::dielaugh::dielaugh:

CodyC6
06-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Of your gal silly, not the nasty old muffler hair. :dielaugh::dielaugh::dielaugh:

Sorry. Here you go.

http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/image/76832528

Undrpsi
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I would not be complaining if I pulled that out of the back of my SS.

Frostee
06-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I would not be complaining if I pulled that out of the back of my SS.

:iagree:

completely.

Smerker
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I just today had the same issue.. (It really looked like gray hair. So I tried to remember if I hit any old people recently). I did not notice any tone change in the exaust yet.

BOO-SS
08-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Same thing here. On a trip to the mountains first week in July. Loaded to the max behind the front seats. I noticed the "hair" comming out the exhaust.

I had 1250 miles then and 1650 now with no problems.

Hair Ball :dielaugh:

tamegm
10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
my 2002 just blew her wig. pulled it out her tailpipe.

Any off you that had this happen have any issues since?

CodyC6
10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Nope. I started this post, and haven't had any issues so far.

addicted4life
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I had this happen on my Evo with an aftermarket Borla exhaust. I was doing some back to back high speed runs to 150+ (closed course), and at the end of the second run my car started shooting sparks out the exhaust. I thought ****, I just burned up a valve or bearing in the turbo. Got it home and investigated. The engine was perfect. Someone told me to check the muffler's packing. I looked in there and sure enough I could see a bunch of burnt off shreds of packing sticking out through the perforated chamber. I left it the way it was and it was fine, never lost anymore packing.

amwellls1
11-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't know how to explain this, and have certainly never seen this before. Came out to my truck after dinner tonight and my gal says look at this. On the back hatch area, there a was a big wad of stringy gray hair like material. I thought somebody had put something on my hatch, so I went to pull it off. I realized that the material was coming out of my tailpipe. I had to tug pretty hard and pulled it out of my tailpipe, and it was a huge wad of spun fiberglass, like the material they stuff mufflers with. I just kept coming out of the tailpipe.

My TBSS has 400 miles, and I think my muffler just blew its stuffing out of the exhaust. Sounds crazy, but it happened. I shined a flashlight up the tailpipe, and I don't see anything else up there, and it all looks perfectly clean with nothing broken etc. It would be nice to know if this has happened to anybody else, but I can't even imagine. Now if I could just get the fiberglass out of my hands. Been using tape all night pulling it out of my hands.

Wow I had the same thing happen at 200 miles took it back to the dealer and they replaced the exhuast free of charge. Its nice to see that I am not the only one that had this happen

mtt
11-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Yep, that's the classic signs of a failing flux capacitor. It would probably be wise to schedule an overhaul ASAP. You probably only have about 200,000 miles before failure. :p

Fud
11-16-2007, 09:43 AM
On the back hatch area, there a was a big wad of stringy gray hair like material. I realized that the material was coming out of my tailpipe.

Any little old ladies missing in da 'hood ???

This is another good reason to buy a Corsa that has no packing !

dwarmenzerk
11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
are you sure it isnt the cat?

Wojski
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I seriously thought something crawled up my exhaust pipe when I first saw it.
At 14k miles, I now have stuffing coming out of my exhaust pipe.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it's time for it's first trip back to the dealer.

NORCAL SS
06-20-2008, 10:57 PM
magnaflow 5x8x28 put that in much better sound/flow.

map 04 ext
06-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Mine just blew some packing at 90 000 Kms. Not bad for the mileage & I haven't heard any change in the sound. As long as it doesn't cost me money I'll be happy. :thumbsup:

BOO-SS
09-07-2008, 11:04 AM
It's been over a year sence some packing blew out the tailpipe and no problems so far.:D

Love the power :woohoo:

logan_h
10-22-2008, 02:09 AM
I dunno why you would keep the stock resonator and muffler in the first place...gotta let the beast breath! ;)

blueblazer5_3
11-29-2008, 04:31 PM
The stock ss mufler is a free flow design. It has backing around the core....otherwise freeflow.

Don

cfd1101
09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
The stock ss mufler is a free flow design. It has backing around the core....otherwise freeflow.

Don

Dang, happened to me today. Question is should I replace muffler or (resonator) or just let it blow out and pull out insulation and move on ?

WOOLUF1952
09-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Dang, happened to me today. Question is should I replace muffler or (resonator) or just let it blow out and pull out insulation and move on ?

If the sound doesn't bother you, just cut it off ( The resonator and/or the stuffing) or pull it out, and move on. :m2:

cfd1101
09-16-2010, 08:37 AM
If the sound doesn't bother you, just cut it off ( The resonator and/or the stuffing) or pull it out, and move on. :m2:

Sounds good good to me- plus it saves me some bucks !!

Thought about doing a cat back any thoughts ? my area about $340 i think flowmaster

cvordemesche
05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Same thing happened to me this morning. 92k miles. Good reason to upgrade from stock exhaust.....

GRoz
07-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Driving down the interstate and I see "something" whipping around my rear window. Pulled over and saw about 10 feet of what looked like hair coming out of my muffler. Pulled out about 20 feet worth. At the time, thought it was a practical joke. When I got to my destination, another 6 foot chunk sticking out. I pulled and pulled and about 15 more feet came out. I called my dealer and explained what happened. I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS with 58,000 miles. He knew right away from my description what it was. He said that shouldn't happen this quickly and said he would call GM and get back to me. He called back in ten minutes and said that GM would pay to have the entire muffler replaced at no cost to me. He ordered the muffler and I had it changed two days later. No problems since.

ieatglue
07-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Drive it to the dealer and tell them that your truck needs a new tampon :D

02 T-Blaze
07-03-2011, 05:42 AM
There is something oddly disconcerting about this situation. I would call a doctor and see if you could get a colonoscopy ASAP.
If I were driving down the highway and that happened to me I'd play it off like I had that installed to throw people off my tail a la James Bond. "Deploying wads of old lady hair.....NOW!" **pushes imaginary button** "There, there, we're safe now."