Bad Battery AGAIN! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Bad Battery AGAIN!

maxtbss
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Ok is it just my TBSS, (06 AWD about 20k on the clock, bone stock accept for the resonator delete) or do these things go through batteries like my son’s RC car? I had the battery replaced under warranty about six months after I got it, and now six months later the battery is bad again! There are no signs the battery is going bad, just all of a sudden the truck won’t start, this has stranded me three times in the last year! I had a 72 Plymouth that was this bad, but nothing since then! And I don’t really expect or appreciate this “walk for fitness feature” on a new, near $40K vehicle! Anybody else had issues like this? Thanks.

terdrocket
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
factory or aftermarket stereo?

Underdog
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
My :m2:
Something is wrong with it.
I would take it back to a dealer and have them do a complete electrical system check out.
That's what the factory warranty is for.
Hope you have a good dealer that will take you serious and do a thorough job.
If they are unable to rectify the problem, some where around here is a number to the GM head shed.
Also after enough complaints there is the lemon law.
Good luck ;)

ghoster
02-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I had this exact problem on a car a number of years ago. The battery was replaced 3 times under warranty before they figured out what was going on. Turned out that the alternator was over charging and causing the failure. When it was tested, it showed that it was right at the highest charging voltage acceptable. So they didn't do anything with it at first. Then when a mechanic that had more experience got to it, he knew that even though the "book" said it was ok, he had never ever seen one actually charging that high. So they replaced the alternator and the battery, never had a problem again.:cool:

TonyGXP
02-14-2007, 12:59 AM
I had this exact problem on a car a number of years ago. The battery was replaced 3 times under warranty before they figured out what was going on. Turned out that the alternator was over charging and causing the failure. When it was tested, it showed that it was right at the highest charging voltage acceptable. So they didn't do anything with it at first. Then when a mechanic that had more experience got to it, he knew that even though the "book" said it was ok, he had never ever seen one actually charging that high. So they replaced the alternator and the battery, never had a problem again.:cool:

I agree 100% I worked for a couple dealers for 8+yrs, from Ford,GM,CPJE and have seen this before, either youhave the worst luck in the world or the Regulator (which I think is in the BCM?? on htese isn't it?) is screwing with your battery and bruning them up..

maxtbss
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the advice all :thx , FYI, the stero is factory, no other mods, I'll pass this info along to the service manager, they kept it "overnite for observation" so I should know something today, I'll report what they find (knowledge is power:D ).

On a different note, I wonder about these guys, I also called the sales manager yesterday just to pose the question of replacing this one with a new one (SS of course), he said he would call me back, but never did?! Did I miss something, 'cause I thought most sales guys would jump at the chance to sell a $40K vehicle, just makes me wonder!?!

jimmyjam
02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
the rectifier & regulator is attatched to the alternator housing, so replacing the alternator will probably fix your problem

carib2002
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
had the same problem and it was the alternator...mine would only charge the battery when the car was in motion but would not charge while the care was idling (i.e @ stop light)...so it fully died periodically....hope you changed it....good luck

Fleet
02-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I had the battery in my SS replaced after 9 months of use. While in the dealership, the advisor told me that there was a batch of batteries with "bad cells" and they were all starting to come back.

maxtbss
02-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Latest from the dealer service dept is that there is a TSB refering to a heater (not sure what system it's in) that may stay "awake" and discharge the battery, but that's only a GUESS, they rerally don't know for sure. They have ordered the heater and it will be installed today as well as a new battery (the third battery in the truck in just one year) (both parts are under warranty).

The service manager also said they checked the alternator and it "is charging right at the top of the scale, 14.8V" (reference the post above by Ghoster)! I told the SM about the possibility the alternator may be charging at too high a voltage, he said he would check into it. I'll keep you all informed. Good call Ghoster that may be the problem!

we87
02-15-2007, 04:12 PM
just out of curiosity, how long should a battery usually last before it needs to be replaced?

maxtbss
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, my wife picked the SS up this mornring, they replaced the questionable part, and hope they got the problem. My wife asked if they were certain that was the problem, and after a bit of stuttering they said "not really". Time will tell, but if the problem comes back, as Underdog stated above, there is the Lemon Law to fall back on. I would hate to go that route but if that is my only recourse I will. I'll keep you all informed, thanks again for all the input

Knightslugger
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
just out of curiosity, how long should a battery usually last before it needs to be replaced?

Depends. You've got your 48 month batteries (usually dirt cheap) your 60 month batteries (think that's pretty common) and your 72 month batteries (most expensive and better performing).

most batteries last the life of the vehicle though. My 99 Malibu (Remote start, after market stereo with premium sound) still has the factory battery and it has never given me any grief. meh...