Wind related noise,windshield [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Wind related noise,windshield

TjpC56
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm experiencing a wind related noise at highway speeds.It sounds like a dull rattle coming from the windshield/dash area.My first thoughts were the weatherstrip around the top of the windshield as the top strip has been blown out of its track at the car wash.Then I checked the cowling and that appears to be "solid" in its place .The windshield side trim appears fine but is more of a plastic which could sound like my noise.
Is all the trim around the windshield just a snap in type install or is there some sealant involved?
This is a recent annoyance .Vehicle will be 6yrs come July.
Any thoughts or experiences with this? :undecided

wmolzon
02-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm experiencing a wind related noise at highway speeds.It sounds like a dull rattle coming from the windshield/dash area.My first thoughts were the weatherstrip around the top of the windshield as the top strip has been blown out of its track at the car wash.Then I checked the cowling and that appears to be "solid" in its place .The windshield side trim appears fine but is more of a plastic which could sound like my noise.
Is all the trim around the windshield just a snap in type install or is there some sealant involved?

might be the windsheild, i know there was a recall on them but not sure what the details were, im sure someone else has more info

TjpC56
08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
:undecided
I'm editing my OP to say temperature related! Yes,it's the dead of summer so I haven't thought about it as the noise does not occur when warm. So my thoughts are when it is cold out,there is a problem with the "acoustical windshield".
It sounds like it may be cracking when cruising at highway speeds.
I wonder if the cold has an effect on the bonding process/material of the windshield laminates.

rbarrios
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
did you just add a bugshield?

TjpC56
08-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Nope, bug shield has been on since purchase of vehicle.
It doesn't get extremely cold here in Texas so maybe our northerners can do some flash backing and see if they remember such annoyance.

thanks

TjpC56
01-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Nope, bug shield has been on since purchase of vehicle.
It doesn't get extremely cold here in Texas so maybe our northerners can do some flash backing and see if they remember such annoyance.

thanks

Back to the front...............................
Cold weather is upon our nation !
Has anyone else experienced a cracking/popping sound in the cold weather?

bigbadbowtie088
01-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I believe there is a recall, I'm not 100% sure though. Try taking your truck over to the dealer and have them run the VIN.

superman_79065
01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Back to the front...............................
Cold weather is upon our nation !
Has anyone else experienced a cracking/popping sound in the cold weather?

Last winter, I DID notice a popping/cracking sound in my windshield.....as it cracked from the bottom drivers side corner all the way across to the bottom passenger side corner. There were no chips or pre-existing cracks in my windshield until this happened, and nothing struck it. I was simply driving home on a cold day and my window cracked. So, now I have a rainbow crack across my windshield for no reason.

TjpC56
01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Closest I could find was recall for certain '05 vehicles and that was adhesion related.

TjpC56
01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Last winter, I DID notice a popping/cracking sound in my windshield.....as it cracked from the bottom drivers side corner all the way across to the bottom passenger side corner. There were no chips or pre-existing cracks in my windshield until this happened, and nothing struck it. I was simply driving home on a cold day and my window cracked. So, now I have a rainbow crack across my windshield for no reason.

There probably is a TB windshield problem out there. I believe this was the first year they were touting the "acoustical" side of the windshield.

ylab
01-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Could the dull rattling sound be the hood, which may appear to come from the windshield area....just 4 feet beyond it. In extremely cold temps, the rubber mounts might harden and/or shrink, which might allow the hood to lightly bounce up and down slightly, resulting in the rattle like sound you're hearing. Might be worth it to put 1/2 a turn or so on the hood stops and give them a shot of white lithium grease. You have nothing to loose, except maybe that noise.

TjpC56
10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Cool weather coming and the issue is still present
>Hood bumpers fine and lubed
> Placed some foam weatherstrip between fender
lip and well liner
> repositioned sound deadener(?) foam in fender
well/door area
> tapped all over to try and locate

Anyone else experience noise on right
side/windshield area during cool weather?

slimfast
10-22-2008, 06:49 PM
No cool weather here but check the SIDE VIEW MIRROR, it sometimes hangs down slightly, LEAVING A SLIGHT GAP (SPACE) AT THE TOP. If you have even a little gap there that is where your wind noise is coming from.

TjpC56
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
No cool weather here but check the SIDE VIEW MIRROR, it sometimes hangs down slightly, LEAVING A SLIGHT GAP (SPACE) AT THE TOP. If you have even a little gap there that is where your wind noise is coming from.

Thanks but this is definitely not from the side mirrors!
The noise is Hard to describe but I visualize the windshield popping.I can pound on the windshield and it definitely sounds solid.
Could there be some parts/cables under the cowling that are a possible culprit?

rayboy55
10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I have experienced this on mine since I've owned it. It definitely is worse in the cold weather, and it does seem to come from the lower right corner. I have been unable to find anything that it could be. So, I am at a loss as you are.

pjaneiro
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
lip and well liner
well/door area

Mine went away when a hit a bird....

i now have a nice long crack...but no more cracking sound...:bonk:

indeed when it's cold i did have that cracking sound....passenger side...quite annoying...

pjaneiro
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
here's the recall but it only says for 2005

http://www.automallusa.net/2005/chevrolet/trailblazer/recalls.html

TjpC56
12-26-2008, 06:31 PM
lip and well liner
well/door area

Update.........I have googled this subject and found that many GM trucks are experiencing this noise. On a Siverado forum ,they pointed to the hard side moldings that finish out the right/left sides of the windshield. Suggestions are to silicone the lower 3 inches of the trim piece .I have done about 5 inches and believe I need to silicone the entire piece.
The noise has diminished but is still there under the right wind conditions. Peel back the rubber door seal trim at the base of the molding to get a better coverage of silicone

06 Envoy
12-26-2008, 11:13 PM
check your windshield wipers i know mine will vibrate on the highway if its windy

yukon_ride
12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Noise ... I don't have that problem. My beef is that when i get going any faster than 50k i sound like i'm in a wind tunel!!!!! It was something i never though about it when i bought it. But don't get me wrong, still love the ride. Just wish there was something i could do??? :hissy:

Jayman
12-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Update.........I have googled this subject and found that many GM trucks are experiencing this noise. On a Siverado forum ,they pointed to the hard side moldings that finish out the right/left sides of the windshield. Suggestions are to silicone the lower 3 inches of the trim piece .I have done about 5 inches and believe I need to silicone the entire piece.
The noise has diminished but is still there under the right wind conditions. Peel back the rubber door seal trim at the base of the molding to get a better coverage of silicone

Okay this is getting closer. Can you describe a little more accurately what the 'hard side' molding is referring to please?
My Envoy will start this noise at about 50mph and it sounds like a rattle coming from the lower driver corner of the dash and progressively gets worse as speed is increased. In fact when its cold it seems worse and now at around 80mph I hear it on the same area on the passenger side too. At 80mph it is extremely loud and extremely frustrating too! I was about to pull the dash apart but am hoping that this is the right fix.
Thanks

Momsvoy
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
I first noticed the same problem after I had my windshield replaced. Here's how I fixed it:

Open the doors and unscrew the screws that hold the windshield moulding on.

Clean the hard felt area that contacts the windshield

Apply 3m double sided tape to the area that contacts the windshield.

Reinstall the moulding with screws, but it will be alot tighter now.

No more load azz noise at highway speeds!

TjpC56
01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Okay this is getting closer. Can you describe a little more accurately what the 'hard side' molding is referring to please?

Thanks
(exterior)
Where the windshield meets the roof is a flexible rubber molding that snaps in, on the right/left side of the windshield are hard plastic like molding .This appears to be the problem area .

MOMSVOY................
"Open the doors and unscrew the screws that hold the windshield molding on."

Where are these screws that you reference to?

Jayman
01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I did not find the screws either but I did discover the 'hard mouldings' though. What I tried was gently tucking the windshield wiper cowl cover underneath these mouldings on each side first. At the end of this cover they are flexible rubber pieces which can easily tuck under the hard mouldings. I went for a drive at high speed and could not believe that it was that making the terrible racket. Completely quiet!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Jayman
:hail:

Momsvoy
01-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Glad you got that noise fixed. Just so everyone knows, the screws are underneath the door seal rubber. Pull back on it to see them, but if you pull up on the rubber it will come off and you can get to the screws. The 99-06 full size were notorious for this especially with a bug shield.

glcrip
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
I have an '07 LS, with a sunroof. When going over 65 there is a loud high pitch vibration that sounds like an electronic squeal. At first I thought it was the radio..turned it off and it did not stop. It is not constant, seems like wind effects it. It is not coming from the sunroof, but in front of it where the roof & windsheild come together. I can move the sunroof forward which lifts the glass and disrupts the wind flow and the sound will disappear. The cross bars have been removed from the luggage rack. I was wondering if the XM/Onstar anntenna has been an issue. It feels firm and not loose. I bought the vehicle used and do not know if the windsheild has been replaced. All indications that it has not. All the plastic trim pieces on the side of the windsheild are solid and not moving, all the rubber at the top is in place and tight. Any help out there?

srtoperator
01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I have this same problem also and will be trying the fix tonight. If I remember I will try and get some pics.

ksoldani
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I have this same problem also and will be trying the fix tonight. If I remember I will try and get some pics.

Please do.. I have the same issue and have no idea where these moldings everybody is talking about are.