Temperature Mirror Problem Solved! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Temperature Mirror Problem Solved!

mtt
02-24-2007, 05:01 PM
For all of you who are trying to get an answer to the ambient air sensor connections:

As a few other members have mentioned, the ambient air temperature sensor pins at the mirror are 6 and 7. The wires are light green with a black stripe, and brown. However, all you have to do here is trade out your mirror and you are done on the inside.

The wires that you need to connect your ambient air sensor to are mounted on the driver's side fender, right beside the fusebox under the hood. The connector has a purple colored plastic wire seperator on the outside. If you are standing beside the driver's fender looking at the fusebox, the connector is directly in front of you, closer than the fusebox, mounted on the inner fender. Now looking at the right side of the connector (the side facing the cab), you will notice the green/black stripe and brown wire at the top of the connector. Also notice, that on the left side of the connector, you will have 2 blank places. These two blanks are where your temperature sensor wires go. Pull the two rubber plugs out and you can temperarily test your sensor here until you get your wire routed. Preferably, you should call the dealership and order two connectors to crimp on your two wires so that they will stay properly and not back out of the connector. But here it is, I thought this would help many of us who are trying to complete this mod but do not know where to connect the sensor. :)

merenjay
02-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Dude, you are awesome....I have had a mirror that's been reading OC for quite a few months now :crazy:.....I can't wait to go and see if this is gonna work for mine :yes:

Thanks for posting this :D

AbuAbdulAziz
02-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Dude, you are awesome....I have had a mirror that's been reading OC for quite a few months now :crazy:.....I can't wait to go and see if this is gonna work for mine :yes:

Thanks for posting this :D

Tell me if it works Mere, we LS people have a LOT of moding to do :crazy::D might take some pics too right ?:undecided

merenjay
02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Tell me if it works Mere, we LS people have a LOT of moding to do :crazy::D might take some pics too right ?:undecided

LOL! Yeah, we want what we want right!?!? If I can find it, I will certainly take pix :yes:.....actually hubby is going to look now so I'll let you know in a couple of minutes.

AbuAbdulAziz
02-24-2007, 06:09 PM
LOL! Yeah, we want what we want right!?!? If I can find it, I will certainly take pix :yes:.....actually hubby is going to look now so I'll let you know in a couple of minutes.

Ok, cuz i am going to bed in like a couple of min too :p:sleepy: 2:00Am here

merenjay
02-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Ok, cuz i am going to bed in like a couple of min too :p:sleepy: 2:00Am here

Don't know if you're still up but here's a pic....

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/merenjay/stuff/SensorArrows.jpg

mtt
02-24-2007, 08:40 PM
That would be the correct two blank spots I'm referring to. I was a little worried not having any picture to post that the description would be a little fuzzy. I'm going to call my favorite dealership Monday and get the correct terminal that fits for that connector so it will be connected correctly. Besides, terminals are very cheap! Right now, I've just got my wires stripped back far enough to reach into the plug, until I can get two terminals.

I took the front grill off and pulled the left headlamp assembly out so that I could run the wires in the front lamp harness. I used wire loom from the sensor just down until it entered the main harness just beside the radiator. It looks completely factory because there is no wire whatsoever showing. The wire follows the main harness all the way up to where it must exit up near the connector. Yes, it was a major PAIN, you have to open the clips holding the harness in place, but it was worth it!

Anyway, If I can help anybody with your questions, just let me know! :woot:

APDMC6008
02-24-2007, 08:42 PM
You should be able to get the terminals from say, Radio Shack or what not. I order all mine from mouser.com.

--Chris

4havnfun
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Has anyone had any luck getting the part number for the contacts to add to that 10 way connector? I spent my lunch hour at the dealership trying to pick up a pair of contacts but the only thing he could offer was a $50 2 way connector that had 2 of them already crimped to about 12" of wire.

mtt
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm running into the same problems you're having. I DO know that they are a Metri-Pack type connector. From what I've been able to research about them, it IS possible to undo a connector (I'm referring to the pin socket, not the entire plug) that has previously been crimped. I guess it is possible, since the connector SHOULD be able to be spread apart with a small pick. Car-Quest has a pack of 5 Metri-Pack female connectors (part # TA715) that look like they will work. My problem is that I do not have any suitable cable seals that slide onto the wire prior to crimping. I may just go to the junkyard and find a TB and just cut out the connector and disassemble the plug with the pick. Metri-Pack sells a tool to disengage the terminals but a very small pick or precision screwdriver should do the trick. Once I get the connector open and reuse the cable seal, I should be able to recrimp. Let me know if you find out anything. :undecided

ToddO
03-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Thats cool but I have on star too. Can I get a mirror with on star, compass and temp? If so, where?

mtt
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
My old mirror only had Onstar, and the passenger airbag indicator. The mirror I bought from a '04 Suburban has Onstar, passenger airbag indicator, temp and compass, and autodimming. I found this mirror on Ebay for $25!!!

You COULD buy a new one, but there are so many places to find them that are far cheaper. Junkyards are a good place, also, but I don't know what kind of deal you would find? But there is a wide selection that you can chose from: Trailblazer, Envoy, Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado, Sierra.....there's many more models, and I'm only naming a few truck models within Chevrolet and GMC. This best advice I can give, is check any GM midsize to fullsize models, cars included (no compacts, I doubt they have these fancy options, by design)

As long as you had Onstar with your OLD mirror, it will still work with the NEW mirror if it also has Onstar. The compass is all self-contained in the mirror, it's just the temp sensor that you need to add.

But seriously, check Ebay, some of the other members have found them here as well. Good luck to you !! :)

SilverUnicorn
03-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Do you happen to know the part # of the Suburban mirror you got? There are many on E-bay and not thaqt the word is out, they're getting pricey :worried:

I want to make sure I get the right one for temp, compass, and Onstar.

Thanks!

mtt
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Sorry, I don't know the part number. :no: My '01 Silverado mirror has a different plug, so that will not work. The mirror I bought on Ebay had a picture of the back so that you could see what the plug looked like.

What you are looking for is a 16-pin connector. I wish I could be more specific, but I really would be guessing as to the exact year. But I do know the '04 mirror works for my '05. Check yours out, if you have the 16-pin connector on the back, that would be '04-'07 you could look for (if yours is an '07).

Basically, the harness you have going to your headliner is already complete for any option package. It just depends upon the mirror that gets plugged into it and the peripheral equipment that must be present for it to work (Onstar box, temp sensor).

I can see where you don't want to buy something, and then receive it and find out that it does not even fit your harness. My seller on Ebay was very professional, though, and had 3 photos of the mirror I bought, so it really made it a whole lot easier. He even emailed me before I received it to check and see if it had arrived and was in good shape!

Maybe someone here knows what exactly will fit. But if there's anything else I can help with, let me know. Good luck to your search! :)

4havnfun
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Still no joy at the dealership but I think I've found the Delphi part numbers & the assembly instructions.

Female terminal should be Delphi Part # 12191818
Cable seal should be Delphi Part # 15366021

Here are some useful links

http://delphisecure2stage01.delphiauto.com/del/attachments/Data%20Sheet/gt_connection.pdf

Go to page 14 on this one

http://delphisecure2stage01.delphiauto.com/del/attachments/Printed%20Catalog%20Selection/gt150.pdf

http://delphisecure2stage01.delphiauto.com/del/attachments/Assembly%20Instructions/GT_Assembly_guide.pdf

4havnfun
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Had some success on getting the cable seals at the dealership. They have a repair kit for Delphi connectors that includes the contacts and seals required. The standard kit has about 5 trays and the cable seal (#15366021) is in tray 4 and I was able to score a pair. The female contact (#12191818 or #12191819) is supposed to be in tray 8 but my dealership didn't seem to have that one.

I did find them listed on the web and you can but 500 for about $20 but the courier & brokerage to Canada would easily quadruple that. Here's the link if anyone wants to go that route.

http://www.ttiinc.com/page/search_results.html?s=-2039547271_4

mtt
03-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I took the part numbers you had and went to the dealership. Luckily, they had both parts. I have a crimper with removable dies, I put in a set that would crimp the connector just the right amount. They look perfect, and they pushed into the connector and locked like they were supposed to. You can't even tell that they weren't in there from the start!

Good job with the part numbers. I think the parts guy would not have been able to find them or realize that he did have them. Thanks for posting the numbers! :cool:

SilverUnicorn
03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Does anyone have the part # for the actual ambient temperature sensor itself???

Thanks!

4havnfun
03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
According to my invoice from the dealer it is 15047946. Mine included a little plastic bracket that wasn't required. I think there is a seperate number for the one without the bracket but i don't have it.

SilverUnicorn
03-20-2007, 08:24 AM
According to my invoice from the dealer it is 15047946. Mine included a little plastic bracket that wasn't required. I think there is a seperate number for the one without the bracket but i don't have it.

:thx I will be calling the stealership today :)

SilverUnicorn
05-26-2007, 05:50 PM
OK, I finally got all the parts I need and I am going out NOW to get this working! Thanks for all the part #'s!!!!

I got the connecters from Mouser, and I will have extras when I am done (I hope) if anyone needs them!

Wish me luck! Will post pics when done!.

Chris

SilverUnicorn
05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Holy Crap!!! It works!!!

So a $100 way for me to tell the temp :dielaugh:

Looks nice though. Pics to come :)

mtt
05-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Good Job Chris! :thumbsup: It seems like once you have a vehicle with it, its hard to do without it. My Silverado has the temperature mirror, and when we bought the TB without it, I knew that eventually it would have to be upgraded. There's only one thing I would still like to know. In my part of NC, I have seen extremes down to 12 degrees and up to 107 degrees. I would like to see what 9 degrees looks like, is it 9 or 09? I'm sure somebody here already knows, especially the Canadian members! Congratulations again!

Mike

SilverUnicorn
05-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Good Job Chris! :thumbsup: It seems like once you have a vehicle with it, its hard to do without it. My Silverado has the temperature mirror, and when we bought the TB without it, I knew that eventually it would have to be upgraded. There's only one thing I would still like to know. In my part of NC, I have seen extremes down to 12 degrees and up to 107 degrees. I would like to see what 9 degrees looks like, is it 9 or 09? I'm sure somebody here already knows, especially the Canadian members! Congratulations again!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Couldn't have done it without you!!!!

Thanks everyone here at Trailvoy for the continued knowledge and support!

Chris

richy3
07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Have had the same problem with my 2002 envoy. Went out and found the sensor where you all said it would be and shot it with a can of air and it has worked fine since. Thanks for your help !!!

drgonzo
12-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I'll be doing this soon. Mirror should be here tomorrow. Did the dealership just have the parts on-hand or did they have to be ordered. Gmpartsdirect has the Sensor for 10.95 + another 10 for shipping.

Sorry to bump an old topic. Thanks to silverunicorn for pointing me in the right direction.

SilverUnicorn
12-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I'll be doing this soon. Mirror should be here tomorrow. Did the dealership just have the parts on-hand or did they have to be ordered. Gmpartsdirect has the Sensor for 10.95 + another 10 for shipping.

Sorry to bump an old topic. Thanks to silverunicorn for pointing me in the right direction.

The dealer had everything I needed, but were really confused about the connectors to go into the wiring harness, which is why I got those elsewhere. I will send you some. :yes:

Don't forget, you need the sensor AND the connector for the sensor. I had to make 2 trips :duh: If I recall correctly, my sensor was $12 and the conenctor was $19. Pricey yes, but you can not do it without that connector.

Chris

drgonzo
12-15-2007, 12:23 AM
The link to the Delphi pdfs are down. When I go to the dealership, what part numbers should I give them. The sensor part number I've got, but for the connector???

mtt
12-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Sorry, I lost the part number. But I can tell you what to ask for, I didn't have a number when I went to get mine, either. The connector you are seeking is attached to a inexpensive sub-wire harness. When I bought my connector, it was listed in the documentation as an 'ambient air temperature sensor harness'. Yes, you need the connector for your air sensor. The matching connector to that comes with a pigtail harness. (It is sold with approximately 12 inches of wire already attached. This way, all you have to do is add more wire to lengthen it to get where you are going.)

When you attach the other end of these wires to the connector up on the fender, look back at the earlier posts in this thread. Those part numbers are what I used to get the correct parts (metripack connectors). All dealers keep a repair kit with these connectors. They are behind the counter and look like little compartmentalized bins like NAPA keeps o-rings and small parts in.

Do a search on metripack connectors so you can get an idea how they look when correctly installed. The cable seals are an essential part so they do not allow water infiltration into the connector. If you have any questions about it, just pm me. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. My install turned out great, it looks more factory than factory does. I used wire loom to cover any exposed wire. Just look back at the earlier posts, there are some good tips there. Hang in there!! :thumbsup:

drgonzo
12-15-2007, 08:10 AM
The connector description coupled with the sensor part number should do it.

Thanks

SilverUnicorn
12-15-2007, 09:36 AM
The connector description coupled with the sensor part number should do it.

Thanks

I'm getting your connector pins in the mail today :yes:

Chris

mtt
12-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry Chris! :duh: I didn't read back far enough about you sending the connectors. I went into a lot of detail for nothing!

But yes, drgonzo, the dealer shouldn't have any problem finding it. That sensor is pretty common to many models, so I don't think that connector is model specific.

drgonzo
12-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Sorry Chris! :duh: I didn't read back far enough about you sending the connectors. I went into a lot of detail for nothing!

But yes, drgonzo, the dealer shouldn't have any problem finding it. That sensor is pretty common to many models, so I don't think that connector is model specific.

Ordered the Sensor today. 5 Bucks... They looked at me like I was crazy with the connector. He said it may come with it. ...> I doubt it.

Erebus
12-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Mike

Well it's been cold this week was as low as -13F here. Here is a photo of my mirror displaying a single digit number, a negative one.
http://www.erebus.com/tb/pics/negative1.jpg

smalltownrp830
12-19-2007, 08:35 PM
ok luv this mod just need to do it. i got an 02 tb ls. no over head console (dont know if that makes a diffrence) what do i need to do this and where can i find everything at? i've been looking for a mirror on ebay. but i see that the connector on the back might be diffrent. whats the easiest way for me to do this? also someone should do a "How to" with pics. thnx:woot:

drgonzo
12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
ok luv this mod just need to do it. i got an 02 tb ls. no over head console (dont know if that makes a diffrence) what do i need to do this and where can i find everything at? i've been looking for a mirror on ebay. but i see that the connector on the back might be diffrent. whats the easiest way for me to do this? also someone should do a "How to" with pics. thnx:woot:

This mirror will do it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-CENTURY-REARVIEW-MIRROR-W-ONSTAR-AUTO-DIM-TEMP-DISPL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118QQcate goryZ33699QQihZ006QQitemZ160128847717QQrdZ1QQsspag enameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting

YOu need to get one with the passenger airbag indicator. I don't think you should get this one. I got a newer, cleaner mirror for less money. Look around for a few days and you'll find one. I got mine for 35 including shipping.

drgonzo
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I have the sensor. But the dealer parts guy knows nothing about the connector. I gave him the description and everything. Does anyone have a part number?

SilverUnicorn
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I have the sensor. But the dealer parts guy knows nothing about the connector. I gave him the description and everything. Does anyone have a part number?

Your dealer is an idiot. Sorry, but that's an easy lookup. He can find the sensor on his little computer, the connector should be right next to it!

I will try to get a part # for you tomorrow if I canfind the packaging I had with mine.

Chris

Blaftony
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
guys my mirror says "OC" but i checked the connector next to the fender and i have the green and brown wires there i have a total of 4 wires connected to that purple connector and i'm guessing that my sensor in front works caus it tells my the outside temp on the climat control
i was thinking since the green and brown are for the mirror and i'm guessing the other 2 wires there are for the climat control should i jump the green and brown wires on the other 2 that are supposed to be for the cimat control?
any suggestions?:confused:

mtt
01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Forgive me if I misunderstand, but if your mirror is reading 'OC', it is possible your temp sensor is bad. If you haven't already attached a sensor, then you have to add one. The green and brown wire at the purple connector on the firewall side are coming from pins 6 and 7 at your mirror (that part is already done) The part you have to do is to add wire from the purple connector out the other side (so the green and brown wire leave the connector out of the front) and continue on to the sensor. If you really wanted to be sloppy, you COULD just add your temp sensor to the purple plug at the green and brown wire and it would work, but that's not where it goes.

You're just extending the green and brown wire that is already there at the purple connector so that it will reach your temp sensor at the front of the TV. I hope I am understanding you correctly. Hope this helps!

Blaftony
01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
yea but i already have a sensor in front becaus i get the otside temp in my climat control
do i have to add another sensor?
but i notices that i have 2 wires leaving the connector you mentioned ... but when i check the sensor in front of the grill it only has 2 wires connected to it... does yours have 4?

mtt
01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
No, my sensor only has two wires. The two sensor wires go back to the purple connector in the front (side closest to the battery) and exit out of the back (closest to the firewall).

If I am understanding you correctly, you already have a temp sensor which gives you a readout in the climate control. If that is the case, are you trying to have the temperature displayed in two places? (mirror AND climate control?)

Since my LS did not come with a temperature sensor, I did not have a readout in my climate control, or mirror, for that matter. What I did was used my ohmmeter to ring out pins 6 and 7 at the mirror harness and verify where they ended (which turned out to be at the purple connector). I happened, by accident, to see a green and brown pair identical to the pair in the mirror harness, so I checked them. That is how I determined where to attach the temp sensor. Remember, the purple connector is meaningless, it is just a break in the wires, as long as it remains plugged together, the wires just pass straight through to the temp sensor. I cannot say with certainty how yours is wired since I have not tested one with the temp in the climate control.

You might try looking at the back of your climate control for the green and brown wire that you see at the purple connector. Also, check your mirror harness for those two wires (pin 6 and 7). I know that will require some disassembly, but I don't know of an easier way. My experience is only with what I ran into with mine. If I had one like yours, I could test it, but I can only guess how those are wired.

I guess in theory, you could add another sensor and keep it isolated from the other, but I am not sure that would be worth the trouble. Just verify that you do have two wires at your mirror harness at pins 6 and 7. If you do, you just find where they go and that is where your sensor will go, whereever you decide to mount it.

In case I am missing what you are trying to do, let me know if this is what you are asking. I'm trying to help, just wondering why you're doing a temp sensor install on a TV that already has one. :confused:

drgonzo
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Your dealer is an idiot. Sorry, but that's an easy lookup. He can find the sensor on his little computer, the connector should be right next to it!

I will try to get a part # for you tomorrow if I canfind the packaging I had with mine.

Chris

Thats what I said. YOu found the sensor, but not the connector. He said nope. Go figure. He was also fighting with his GF on the phone who was asking him about some girl he was calling from his cell phone :-D.

SilverUnicorn
01-04-2008, 08:11 AM
What I did was used my ohmmeter to ring out pins 6 and 7 at the mirror harness and verify where they ended (which turned out to be at the purple connector). I happened, by accident, to see a green and brown pair identical to the pair in the mirror harness, so I checked them. That is how I determined where to attach the temp sensor. Remember, the purple connector is meaningless, it is just a break in the wires, as long as it remains plugged together, the wires just pass straight through to the temp sensor.

And THIS is why MTT is a freaking genius!!

:hail::hail::hail:

DRGONZO: I can't find the packaging that I got the connector in right now. I will try to dig out the invoice this weekend for you.

Chris

mtt
01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Chris,

You're too kind, WAY too kind! Just ask my wife! Dr. Phil would call me an idiot! God bless you for the compliment, but I'm just a notch below the village idiot :laugh:!

dr gonzo
I'm unable to find the part number for that connector, either. I agree, however, that a competent parts salesman should be able to find it. I mean, THEY make the part, and it is available since Chris and I have both bought one, as have others. Walk behind the counter and tell the parts guy to step aside, so you can look it up yourself!! :thumbsup:

SilverUnicorn
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Finally found the packaging from my connector

SENSOR - GM Part # 15047946
CONNECTOR - GMPart # 12101856

Hope that helps you Drgonzo

drgonzo
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Finally found the packaging from my connector

Hope that helps you Drgonzo

Thanks! The parts guy should be able to find it now :) If not I'll just get it at parts direct :).

Smoke Eater
01-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure of you guys can help me with this or not, but here goes:

I bought an Auto Dimming, Tempt, and Compass Mirror off Ebay. Nice mirror, wired it up and eveything seemed to be working fine, until it got cold!! The mirror reads in Celcius and Farenheit. When the temp gets below freezing, 32 degrees, the celcius will read negative numbers, like it is supposed to, but the Farenheit goes crazy!! Here's an example, other day it was 20 degrees here, my mirror read -7 degrees celcius, but the farenheit read something like 68 degrees!!! I am lost now, have no idea what could be causing this. And I have noticed that on occasion the mirror temp will jump back and forth between two numbers and do it for like 20 minutes at a time. Do you think I got a bogus mirror? Any input would be appreciated. And yes, it was a no name brand from Ebay!

mtt
01-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I really don't know what would be causing your problems. I would reason that your sensor outside is ok since you do get readings from it, it's a fairly simple device. Usually if the sensor is bad, you will get a temp display of 50 regardless of temperature, or, a reading of OC if your circuit is open. I wish I could be of more help.

If worse comes to worse, even the OEM mirrors are cheap on Ebay. My mirror is out of a Silverado, and it is exactly like the mirror I removed from the TB, other than the upgraded features, for only $25! Hope you get it figured out! :yes:

ben5491
01-27-2008, 04:27 PM
did this mod to my 05, I can't find any place on the radiator mount that this sensor could possibly mount. no hole for a bolt to go thru and no hole for the little tit at the end to go in. I drilled and made my own holes and mounted it and it works great but I could have never done it without the help and part numbers provided by all of you. thanks.:thx:thx:thx

drgonzo
02-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Ok So I finally did this. My dealer found the part a couple of weeks ago (when I went in) I had to pre-pay it so I waited until I was due for an oil change. It showed up last week and I just connected it. This is working, and was extremely easy. Thank you very much to Silver Unicorn I would not have done this as easily if it weren't for him. (Thanks for the little connectors).

I still have to go back and wrap it with a loom.

I found a hole right in the front that the sensor clipped right into. I didn't have to drill or anything.

Thanks again for the thread and the help.
:thx:thx:thx

rrufast
02-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Which one of these type mirrors woudl work best in my LS? I currently only have a plane jane rear view with NO readouts at all. I'm not even sure if there is a wiring harness run to it or not. Doesn't seem like there would be since there is no readout in the stock mirror.

No clue if I have the temp sensor/compass deal. Do NOT have OnStar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-OUT-OF-2005-GMC-YUKON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ010QQit emZ200198733854QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silverado-Yukon-Rear-View-Mirror-Compass-Temp-Rearview_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ014Q QitemZ330210295718QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphot ohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yukon-rear-view-mirror-gmc-yukon-rear-view-mirror_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ006QQi temZ160207419636QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-GMC-Yukon-1500-Rear-View-Mirror-w-OnStar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ009QQi temZ190196119075QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1 638Q2em118Q2el1247#ebayphotohosting

keno
03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I loacted the correct plug for the temp sensor and this was a snap. Everything works fine now:thx

SilverUnicorn
03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Which one of these type mirrors woudl work best in my LS? I currently only have a plane jane rear view with NO readouts at all. I'm not even sure if there is a wiring harness run to it or not. Doesn't seem like there would be since there is no readout in the stock mirror.

No clue if I have the temp sensor/compass deal. Do NOT have OnStar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-OUT-OF-2005-GMC-YUKON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ010QQit emZ200198733854QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silverado-Yukon-Rear-View-Mirror-Compass-Temp-Rearview_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ014Q QitemZ330210295718QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphot ohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yukon-rear-view-mirror-gmc-yukon-rear-view-mirror_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ006QQi temZ160207419636QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-GMC-Yukon-1500-Rear-View-Mirror-w-OnStar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ009QQi temZ190196119075QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1 638Q2em118Q2el1247#ebayphotohosting

Sorry, Just saw this today :duh:

Look at the back of your current mirror. If there is a 16 pin plug in the back of the mirror, any of the ones listed (which are probably now ended) should work, even though you don't have OnStar. The little green Onstar light would just be red.

If your mirror is all manual, with NO plug in the back of it at all, I am not sure this mod would work for you (at least in this application). You would likely need to get an aftermarket unit at that point :(

Chris

edalan99
06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Can someone post a pic of where they mounted the sensor up front for me please? That way I have a idea where to look for a good spot to mount mine as well. Also, how did you guys get the little plugs out of the factory wire plug to add the sensor wires into? The ones on the factory plug seems to be down in there a bit and I do not want to damge the plug when I do this mod. So, any and all pics of mounting suggestions would be grat and tips on how to get those tiny little plugs out too. I want to get it all set up so when I get the clips from Chris (thanx again) I can just connect it and be done.

mtt
06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Just use a small pair of needle nose pliers to grab the small rubber plug in the center (it's sorta looks like the center electrode on a coax cable, its not touching the sides anywhere around its circumference.

The picture is not the best, but it's all I have right now. Put your wires from your temperature sensor in these two holes, using your clips from Chris, of course. I believe Chris also has a picture here somewhere where the sensor attaches in the front. The hole for it is already there, you just snap it in. Just be sure you remove your sensor from the bracket that is attached to it when you receive it. The bracket is not necessary, because snapping it into the provided hole holds it in place. Again, look for the picture Chris posted as to the location of the sensor. The hole is on the drivers side. Just open your hood, lean in and look back toward the front, you will see it near the top of the radiator support.

edalan99
06-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks mtt, but for some reason not all the pictures show up on here? some just show a blank box? i will try the needle nose pliars, thank you, these 2 just seem to be in further then the other blank ones? Im sure I can figure out a way to get em out of there.

mtt
06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey edalan99 - I found the link showing the location of the sensor. You may have found it already, but this is the photo I was referring to in my last post.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=42171&highlight=temperature+sensor

Again, just be sure to remove your sensor from the bracket that comes with it - I can't stress that enough. It won't make any sense where it goes if you're trying to mount it with that bracket. (Pinch those three tabs together so the sensor will back out of the hole on the bracket - sort of looks like a rivet) Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions! :cool:

gpski
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi

I have just purchased a 08 trailblazer that has onstar in the mirror, and would like temp and direction.

can I buy any of the 02-08 mirrors that have the temp and compass setings and put that in my truck to get the added features or has the hardware compatibilty changed for 08?

drgonzo
01-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I bellieve that compatibility has not changed for the 08 model year.
Posted via Mobile Device

SilverUnicorn
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I bellieve that compatibility has not changed for the 08 model year.
Posted via Mobile Device

:iagree:

Chris

nateb21
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Ok so I have read through this thread which is very informative. I was asking myself while reading I wonder if this will work for me since I have an LT with the temp in the climate controls, then I got to a post from someone with the same question. I never saw if it worked for him to split the signal from the temp sensor or what he did. Any ideas what I can do so my mirror doesn't say OC?

Nate

forceU2tap
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Hello guys...

Ok, after reading this thread I bought a mirror off Ebay and put it on last night. The compass works and the temp reads 0 C just like it should. I'm going to stop at the dealer with the part numbers I've compiled but I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

I know I need:

What I'm not sure of is what exactly this is, do I need it, and how many do I need?

Thanks for all the great information here guys!!

sonicanatidae
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
If they dont have the connector parts in stock at the parts counter, ask
if you can buy a couple out of the mechanic's tray.

This part is in "tray 8".

SilverUnicorn
02-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello guys...

Ok, after reading this thread I bought a mirror off Ebay and put it on last night. The compass works and the temp reads 0 C just like it should. I'm going to stop at the dealer with the part numbers I've compiled but I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

I know I need:

What I'm not sure of is what exactly this is, do I need it, and how many do I need?

Thanks for all the great information here guys!!

I did not put cable seals on mine and I have not had any issues thus far (almost 2 years). All it is is a little piece of rubber you put on the wire before the female connector. When you put the connector into the harness, you slide the rubber piece in there, thus 'sealing' the connection. I used larger wire than I should have, so it kind of sealed itself.

If your parts dept. does not have the female connectors, let me know. I have a VERY LIMITED number of these left and can send you 2 if you need them.

I don't have the cable seals any more. If your parts person has them, you would need 2 of them :yes:

Chris

forceU2tap
02-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I did not put cable seals on mine and I have not had any issues thus far (almost 2 years). All it is is a little piece of rubber you put on the wire before the female connector. When you put the connector into the harness, you slide the rubber piece in there, thus 'sealing' the connection. I used larger wire than I should have, so it kind of sealed itself.

If your parts dept. does not have the female connectors, let me know. I have a VERY LIMITED number of these left and can send you 2 if you need them.

I don't have the cable seals any more. If your parts person has them, you would need 2 of them :yes:

Chris

Excellent! This is exactly what I needed to know, now I'm ready to buy the stuff! Thanks alot for the offer on the connectors, I'll let you know if they don't have them. I think I found them on ebay petty reasonable, are these right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150269915040&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Thanks again,
Russ

forceU2tap
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
If they dont have the connector parts in stock at the parts counter, ask
if you can buy a couple out of the mechanic's tray.

This part is in "tray 8".

I'll be sure to mention that. Thanks!

SilverUnicorn
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Excellent! This is exactly what I needed to know, now I'm ready to buy the stuff! Thanks alot for the offer on the connectors, I'll let you know if they don't have them. I think I found them on ebay petty reasonable, are these right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150269915040&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Thanks again,
Russ

Those should work, yes.

Chris

BaritoneJP
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't mean to bump an old thread but I need to know what type of wire to use for this rear view mirror temp sensor mod.

Thank you for any info you can provide ... :tiphat

I already have the mirror installed and all is working but the temp ... reading "OC" ... I have ordered the parts today but I just need to know what type of wire to order.

the roadie
03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Whatever crimps or can be soldered into the connector will work. It's not a high current carrying circuit. Anything from 18 to 28 AWG should work fine.