Speed reccomendations. [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Speed reccomendations.

envymyride
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Now that the snow has piled up here in MN, I have been using my sweet driving features, A4WD and 4WD hi and lo. Does anyone have any ideas on what speeds I should keep at for the all wheel and the four wheel hi? I only use the low once a year :( wish it was more ;)

Underdog
03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Read your owners manual :duh:
A4WD = Any speed shift on fly
4WD hi = shift on fly; Any speed low traction. Tire must be able to turn/slip at different speeds to prevent drive line binding
and lo Is regulated to 2 mph slow no power roll; ingage and disingage with a top speed of about 45 mph (if i remember half way right).

the roadie
03-01-2007, 07:56 PM
... what speeds I should keep at for the all wheel and the four wheel hi? I only use the low once a year :( wish it was more ;)Since AWD takes a few hundred milliseconds to engage, I would only use it on roads that were part dry, part slush/snow. There are no vehicle system restrictions to what makes sense to drive at - just no faster than suitable for the conditions. Same for 4HI, except you would ONLY use that on totally snow/ice conditions where the wheels can slip to relieve stress buildup on the drivetrain. I might do 50 on flat sand in 4HI, but certainly wouldn't on ice. Normally 30 on sandy desert washes is plenty fast enough. There's snow at 4000 feet right now between me and the desert, but I haven't had time to go play yet.

Ride_red43
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
i'm sure someone that is more technical that I am will chime in here and lay it out MIT style. But I can tell you that from my experiance (which is not much cause it only snows once in a blue moon here) is that the A4WD is awsome and highly recomended on snow and even ice. In this mode you can drive normal speeds that you would other wise. I don't know about any other brands of cars but I have to hand it to chevy on this one reg 4WD on snow is night and day compared to above. I think in 4WD HI you can drive normaly as well but dont go quotin me on that. and of course 4WD LO is granny gear and don't know recomended speed but if it were me I wouldn't go over 30 in it.

Gearhead2012
03-05-2007, 01:45 AM
There's snow at 4000 feet right now between me and the desert, but I haven't had time to go play yet.

be sure to bring the gang with you when you do...and of course the video camera. I'd love to see some frozen roadie-cam action.

Bearcat
03-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I might do 50 on flat sand in 4HI, but certainly wouldn't on ice.
50+ on snow and ice is an acquired taste. Wide open interstate with little traffic is a POC. Only way to get from here to there in NE Ohio.:woot:

RayVoy
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Lets be sensible here. If you need any 4 wheel drive mode, the conditions are such that u should not be driving at or above the speed limit. Your handbook tells u that u can shift-on-the-fly at or below 50 mph, maybe this is the max speed for 4 hi.

Fishhunter911
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Moved thread to proper content area.

6V92TA
03-07-2007, 03:25 AM
50+ on snow and ice is an acquired taste. Wide open interstate with little traffic is a POC. Only way to get from here to there in NE Ohio.:woot:

Hey Bearcat!! Look out for an all white 04 GMC Envoy with a CB antenna on the back roof behind the luggage racks and driving about with it's fog lights on. IF you see this truck,give a honk cause it'll be me.

As far as the 4 wheel drive go,it's a pure blessing. i love that feature! Darn truck would climb walls in 4 wheel drive if you let it. i personally never use A4WD because i dont like how the front wheels kick in and out. Im not sure if the transfer case likes being engaged and disengaged with nearly 270 pound feet of torq going thru it. Ive used 4WD Lo once to get up my friend's snow covered 3% graded driveway. Works really well i might add. What speed to i drive with either mode on? That depends on the road conditions and what im driving on. If im on city streets that are totally snow covered and makes me fish tail every time i take off from a stop light,i switch over to 4 wheel hi to cut down on wheel slippage. If im on the interstate thats snow covered,i dont even bother putting it in 4 wheel drive. As far as shifting on the fly goes,i normally switch it into 4 wheel drive at a stop light or stop sign or i pull over and switch it. Disengaging it i simply do it on the fly while coasting. If you see pavement under the snow,dont bother with 4 wheel drive.....but if you cant see pavement, it's 4 wheel time!

anybody ever done 4 wheel drive power slides in an empty snow covered parking lot before?

Jozuah
03-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Read your owners manual :duh:
A4WD = Any speed shift on fly
4WD hi = shift on fly; Any speed low traction. Tire must be able to turn/slip at different speeds to prevent drive line binding
and lo Is regulated to 2 mph slow no power roll; ingage and disingage with a top speed of about 45 mph (if i remember half way right).

owners manual? thats no fun, far more fun to ask people , questions,.:thumbsup:

envymyride
03-12-2007, 01:59 AM
i know plus how would i get my posts up?