Blower Motor/Module? Problem [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Blower Motor/Module? Problem

328ferrari
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I have a 2003 Envoy XL with Automatic Climate Control. The front blower does not work no matter what speed I set the fan switch to, however the rear one does work. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine and I checked the blower motor itself and it runs fine when I connect separate 12 volts to it. From reading the other posts, I believe the problem may be the blower module. Can anyone confirm this? If it is the module, GMdirect indicates the part number required is #88892976 while another poster seemed to think the correct module is #89018778. Appreciate if any of you have any thoughts? My wife is tired of driving around in the cold.
Thanks

328ferrari
03-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Well I am now really confused -- went back to vehicle to play around some more. Removed blower motor from bracket, but left wiring hooked up. I now was able to get motor to turn however the switch to increase the speed of the fan had no effect on the fan at all. I could increase or decrease the switch, but the fan continued to run at the same speed. However the item which was truely amazing is the fan motor ran at a slow speed when I turned the ignition switch on and the fan motor turned at a fast speed when I turned the ignition off. I had read where the fan turns for a few minutes after the ignition is turned off, however why would ignition on vs. off have any effect on the speed of the fan? Also, shouldn't the switch which controls the speed of the fan have some effect?

I left the ignition key off for a few minutes and the fan motor stopped turning. Then I turned the ignition key back on hoping the fan motor would begin turning again -- but no luck -- I turned the key on, off, pressed all sorts of heater control buttons, but the motor would not turn.

Hopefully someone out there knows exactly what the problem is. I am sure I do not have ghosts in my garage. Or perhaps I do!

Thanks

shdtree3
03-14-2007, 11:06 PM
My 04 TB just started doing the same thing, some times it works most of the time it does no, manual or automatic mode, with or with out the a/c running. A coworker said he had the same problem in his two chevy 1500 trucks. Something about a ground wire not making good connection. there are 3 Service bulletins for the 04 TS that may take care of it. Will let ya know.

328ferrari
03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Well I ended up removing the module which is wired between the HVAC controls on the dash and the front blower motor. It is positioned under the glove box next to the blower motor. The part number on the module is #52495874. I then went to GMdirect.com and typed in this part number. The response was this part is no longer available and superseded by #89018778, which is the same number another member posted as being the correct module part number. I was 90% sure this is my solution so I ordered the part. It is suppose to take about a week to obtain. Upon installing the module I will let the board know if this is the solution--- I sure hope so.

lekmedm
03-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I have a 2003 Envoy XL with Automatic Climate Control. The front blower does not work no matter what speed I set the fan switch to, however the rear one does work. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine and I checked the blower motor itself and it runs fine when I connect separate 12 volts to it. From reading the other posts, I believe the problem may be the blower module. Can anyone confirm this? If it is the module, GMdirect indicates the part number required is #88892976 while another poster seemed to think the correct module is #89018778. Appreciate if any of you have any thoughts? My wife is tired of driving around in the cold.
Thanks

I've just run into the same problem yesterday duing the big snow we got here in the NE (damn that Murphy's Law!). Anyway, can anyone elaborate as to why there are 2 different part numbers? I think I'll also order the 89018778 module since someone else has used it successfully, but I'd like to know what makes the other module different other than the $20 difference in price.

On Parts4Chevys they have the following part descriptions:

89018778 : Hvac Controls Blower motor Control module

88892976 : Hvac - Controls - Auxiliary heater & ac - Control module Control module, envoy/trailblazer 2002 - 2007

Wht's the difference? :crazy: Ideas...?

328ferrari
03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Today I received the part and installed in the Envoy -- Voila!!! Blower works fine -- when turned on, the blower blows, when I adjust the speed I can hear the blower react as it should. It appears that I have found the problem.

To reiterate, #88892976 is the original part which is superseded by #89018778. I installed part #89018778, however can not explain why GM changed the part -- perhaps #88892976 was found to be unreliable.

LEKMEDM, good luck with your repair.

rduz
04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I bought a new one at gmpartsdirect.com, and when searching out the old part number, 89018778 is listed as the replacement.

Interestingly, the ACDelco cardboard box that the part comes in lists the GM# as 89018778, but the actual label on the part lists (1P)52414530 and (12V)206978376.

This part is for vehicles with automatic climate control. I think the manual switch versions use a different part.

lekmedm
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Today I received the part and installed in the Envoy -- Voila!!! Blower works fine -- when turned on, the blower blows, when I adjust the speed I can hear the blower react as it should. It appears that I have found the problem.

To reiterate, #88892976 is the original part which is superseded by #89018778. I installed part #89018778, however can not explain why GM changed the part -- perhaps #88892976 was found to be unreliable.

LEKMEDM, good luck with your repair.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Well, I finally got around to putting in the new module, and, unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem. So my next step was to replace the blower itself with a $40 used one from a salvage yard and that did the trick!

Now I have an extra module. Can anyone use one? Send a PM!

1dadalex
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I have the same problem as described with my 03, Envoy, with climate control. After reading the postings, and checking the fuses, I believe it is the blower module. If you still have the extra module, I can use it. Thanks for all the threads.

fake93cobra
09-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I also have the same problem. 2003 envoy w/auto climate control. Fan sometimes comes on at various speeds. Does not usually respond to controls.
Rear unit works fine. Order part# 89018778 from gmpartsdirect.com. I will post back after parts comes in and replaced.

Thanks for all the posts and pictures. Great site!

:)

1dadalex
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I ordered the part with # 89018778 from gmpartsdirect for half the price of the local dealership, got it in a few days put it on myself in approximately 30 minutes. It works like new. I am so thrilled about what I was able to with the aid of this website. Thank you for all the postings.

phatp
09-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Thank you for all the postings.
:iagree:

The members here are awesome - I had to do this same replacement (blower motor resistor) back in the spring and thanks to the directions & images found here I was able to do it. took me longer than .5hrs though and I fought with the blower trying to get it back in. It was nice being able to do it myself though.

easy
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Just replaced my blower module this weekend as per part # and instructions on this site and now it works great. Thanks for all the info here.

kcoffey
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
OK thanks to all of your advise on this thread I went out and bought myself a new blower module for my '03 Trailblazer. However the part i received is not correct for what I am replacing. I am guessing that the difference is that I have an automatic hvac vs manual. The part I bought was Autozone part # DR755 (aka 52418123). I am replacing part #52495874 which according to this thread is now part #89018778. Does anyone know for sure that part #89018778 is the part I need? The part I am replacing has some aluminum plates and only has a 3 plug receptical. The one they gave me has a 7 prong receptical. I just need to know before I order one and get the same part. Thanks for your help.

mjprel
12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
OK thanks to all of your advise on this thread I went out and bought myself a new blower module for my '03 Trailblazer. However the part i received is not correct for what I am replacing. I am guessing that the difference is that I have an automatic hvac vs manual. The part I bought was Autozone part # DR755 (aka 52418123). I am replacing part #52495874 which according to this thread is now part #89018778. Does anyone know for sure that part #89018778 is the part I need? The part I am replacing has some aluminum plates and only has a 3 plug receptical. The one they gave me has a 7 prong receptical. I just need to know before I order one and get the same part. Thanks for your help.

I've got the same exact problem on an 03 Trailblazer. The wiring harness is only 3 prong, while the one from Autozone has 6 or 7 (took it back already).

Tried Checker and Advance Auto and neither can help. Napa shows the same. Can anyone confirm if part #89018778 has a 3 prong adapter that plugs in? No pictures are shown on the website.

kcoffey
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes the part number you listed is correct. After posting that, I ended up just going to the dealership and bought it for $93 (normally $129). I knew someone there that gave me a discount. I installed it and it fixed my problem. I noticed that gmpartsdirect.com sells it for $64 plus shipping. Good luck.

mjprel
12-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes the part number you listed is correct. After posting that, I ended up just going to the dealership and bought it for $93 (normally $129). I knew someone there that gave me a discount. I installed it and it fixed my problem. I noticed that gmpartsdirect.com sells it for $64 plus shipping. Good luck.

Dealer here in WI wants $131.94. Luckily, my father in law is a retired mechanic and still gets his discount. Have to wait until tomorrow and it'll be $71.

Can't come soon enough. Luckily, my wife drives this car and it's got heated seats, but she claims her fingers and toes are numb after the morning commute. :)

kcoffey
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I like how you said luckily your wife drives this car. Lol Believe me, I know what you mean. Those seat warmers have been a life saver. By the way, the rear blower still works without the front. You can turn that on full blast for 10 - 15 minutes to at least warm up the car. It worked a little for me and actually defrosted my windows enough to drive. Good luck.

venom46825
12-22-2008, 09:22 AM
My heater blower stopped responding to the control buttons a few days ago. I have auto climate control on my 03 TB LTZ. The blower runs at a low speed when the engine is running and continues to blow when key is off. Once in a while it will blow on high...the rear blower runs fine. After reading posts on this web-site, I found part #89018778 (blower module) at Hire's for $60. Picking it up today at lunch to install. Let you know.

It's below 0 here in NE Indiana!!!

venom46825
12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I picked up part #89018778 (blower module) from Hire's today at lunch. Price was actually $72 w/ tax. We have a Delco distributor here in Fort Wayne, so I was able to pick it same day. Ran home, slapped it in, and everything works like new on my "auto climate controls"! SHWEET! Thanks to this web-site I saved at least $100 or more by DIY vs dealership. Thanks trailvoy.com!

I actually bought the blower motor resistor on Friday, but after more reading on this web-site realized I needed the heater control "module" since I have the "auto climate control" in my LTZ. Since I did not install the resistor, I was able to return it to Hire's and get my $42 back.

Now we can enjoy comfort in our current sub-zero conditions.

buzzking
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Front Blower motor just started screwing up today, will operate at speeds 1-4, but when switching to 5 it goes dead. You can hear an electronic click when going to 5 and back to 4, is this a module malfunction? TIA

the roadie
01-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Could be the relay, but far more likely to be a blown 40 A fuse #35 under the hood, which is only used for speed 5.

buzzking
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Will check roadie, thanks amigo :D

buzzking
01-13-2009, 06:34 PM
well, negative on the fuse, next step?

the roadie
01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Unless you have a meter and want me to describe the circuit pinouts so you can check all the pins, the most logical and relatively cheap thing to swap (if your local parts store has one in stock) is the resistor module.

But in case you do have a meter, locate the resistor module behind the glovebox. A fat red wire is +12 from fuse #35 under the hood, on Pin G at one end of the 7-pin connector going into the resistor module. Next to it, Pin F, orange, goes high when your fan control switch is on speed 5. That turns on the relay and then the purple wire going to the blower gets a full 12V. In speeds 1-4 the purple wire has voltages lower than 12.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32751

buzzking
01-13-2009, 08:46 PM
well I've been told on another forum that its in the module (overwhelmingly). I do have a meter but honestly don't really want to get into breaking the module out and checking pin and solder by solder so I'll probably just swap the modules. Thanks a ton for your help.:)

Techman
03-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I did a google search for the flaky blower that landed me on this thread for my 2003 TB. Based on what I read here, seems to be a trend specially for the '03 model year. Order the #89018778 replacement module from gmpartsdirect.com for about 80 bucks, installed per the threads, and 30 minutes later, I was back in business :excited:. Thanks for all here that contributed, it really sucked not been able to defrost my windshield in the cold midwest winter. This thread by itself it is worth the price of admission. Glad I found this forum. Now time to work on that damm leather seat heaters.

Techman

the roadie
03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
...This thread by itself it is worth the price of admission. Glad I found this forum....Glad you found it useful. Unless you contribute, I'm sure you know there IS no price of admission. I'm not in any way involved in the financial side of this site except I also contribute, but you (and the thousands of other lurkers) might consider throwing something in the hat.

Techman
03-14-2009, 01:00 PM
but you (and the thousands of other lurkers) might consider throwing something in the hat.

Dude, Good Morning to you too! What a way to treat new members. If you look closely I just joined. And I could have just used the information and never posted a thank you for all of the guys that shared their experience. I did not appreciate the "Lurker" comment, obviously I posted to share my experience. Sometimes asking a question is contributing to the forum, so all can benefit from the answer. I hope the moderators and forum owners don't share your hospitality.

davidevo
03-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi Techman, I welcome you to the forum, and I hope you stay. I'm glad you found the forum helpful. Have a nice day. :)

Dave

FloridaFitz
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM
GMPartsDirect.com shows both part numbers #88892976 and #89018778 available at different prices. I'm confused. Anyone know which part is the REAR blower control module for auto ac control 2003 SLT XL. Looks like if I order the wrong part it cannot be returned because it's electrical....so you gotta get it right!

fpatt
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Well I ended up removing the module which is wired between the HVAC controls on the dash and the front blower motor. It is positioned under the glove box next to the blower motor. The part number on the module is #52495874. I then went to GMdirect.com and typed in this part number. The response was this part is no longer available and superseded by #89018778, which is the same number another member posted as being the correct module part number. I was 90% sure this is my solution so I ordered the part. It is suppose to take about a week to obtain. Upon installing the module I will let the board know if this is the solution--- I sure hope so.

Glad to see an easy fix, my 04 Envoy has this same problem, Dealer wants $300 to fix it., How easy to install? Can you give me any tips?

Thanks,

Fpatt:p

the roadie
05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't have good pics when I worked on mine (shocking, I know), but just go look. Take the lower under-dash cover off, hinge down the glove box, and just poke around. The module has a three pin connector with power coming in, and a 2-wire harness going to the blower motor. A heat sink goes into the airflow plenum.

On a scale of 10 wrenches I'd give it a 2 just because you need some small metric nut drivers or sockets and a flashlight. Changing a gas cap is a 1.

TheCOBRA
06-02-2009, 04:18 AM
I have to replace the module on my 04 T-Blazer LT. I purchased GMpart# 89018778 which is AC Delco part# 15-80567. however this part has a 3-pin connector and the part I'm replacing has 7. My vehicle has manual controls. Can someone help with this?

bigdraz
07-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Just wanted to pass along that I finished this repair thanks to the detailed information given by all on this great site.

Order part from gmpartsdirect.com fast shipping, would use again. I checked w/ local stealership who wanted $132.50 and picked up for around $80

Attached are a few pictures one is of the old module replaced and the second is of the box the new part arrived in

Repair went very quick, I was driving without A/C for past month, glad to have it back.

Thanks again

ergoman
07-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Replaced control module in my '02 envoy and everything worked again but only temporarily (hour maybe). Then started working again so pulled the cover and started wiggling wires and power to blower connection seemed to be problem as it slowed when pushed. Not leaving well enough alone pulled plug to see where problem was. Seeing nothing obvious replaced. Now it will not work again, no matter what I push. Put a meter on the wire from module and get no voltage? Any ideas appreciated. Incidentally the part # for the '02 envoy was ACD 15-80186, $103 from OEHQ.
Thanks

328ferrari
12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Amazing - I am back again....I now have a problem with the rear blower for the heater in my '03 Envoy XL. I originally had a problem a couple of years ago and started this thread. My problem at that time was with my front heater which was resolved by purchasing a new heater control module which resolved that problem, but now I am having a problem with the rear blower.

Everything works fine with the front, however, the rear blower only runs when the ignition key is turned on, but without the engine running. As soon as I start the vehicle, the blower cuts off. If I turn the engine off and turn the key on, sometimes the blower runs and sometimes the blower will not run.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.

the roadie
12-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Got a meter and want to trace some schematics? Never heard of such a problem. :undecided

328ferrari
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of checking the output with an electrical meter. Unfortunately I am not too electrically educated (although I do know mechanics quite well). In reading one of the other posts, it appears that when the rear blower acts up (acts strangely and inconsistently) it often times may be the rear blower motor speed module. Do you suppose this could be the issue? I have ruled out all switches and fuses -- since the fuses are not blown (and the fan runs at times) and the switches since they consistently do not effect the runing of the blower.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

RayVoy
01-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, the rear speed control module does fail.
This could be the problem, but I hate to suggest spending money on a part without proving the part has failed.
I'm afraid, that a meter and the ability to use it are necessary.

328ferrari
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
RayVoy,

Thanks for responding and you are correct... I do need to measure the current. I will attempt to find a solution to this problem.. and "yes" I don't want to spend money unnecessarily... have done so in the past. Have a very Happy New Year!!

jd0g19
02-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I have the same problem and subsequently order the part from gmpartdirect. Is it easy to repalce, if so how..???

hingarfi
06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
2002 EXT TB. My rear AC quit working years ago. I decided to simply control rear AC from the rotary knob near the driver seat. I set the rear unit MODE to ceiling vents and TEMP to cold air and unplugged the crazy actuators. Got away with this until recently. Now the rear blower only works in position 1 and even position 1 works only intermittently. Front HVAC unit is working -- but is ticking :-( I have removed the trim from the rear quarter panel. The 30A blower motor fuse is OK. I have the GM service manual (2 vols). Looking at the schematic, I see +12V applied to the motor and the "Blower Motor Control Processor AUX" connects the motor to ground.
(1) Does anyone know where this "Blower Motor Control Processor AUX" is physically located?
(2) Anyone know the PN for this "Blower Motor Control Processor AUX"?
(3) Without major disassembly is there some way I can apply 12VDC to the motor to be sure it is OK?
I'll stop here and hope someone can help me to the next steps.

PS: It has been many years since I was on this forum. My unit has 105K miles (about 40K of these was pulling a 4000# TrailManor trailer). All my problems have been electrical. (a) Both rear power window power assys, (2) Engine fan clutch (but it seems to have fixed itself after pulling the cable a couple of times.) (3) Front HVAC blower stopped but it also fixed itself when I entered a bumpy driveway -- maybe a stuck brush (several years ago) (4) Temp thermistor -- no big deal (5) Coming soon (based on the ticking sound from front HVAC) is major front HVAC actuator project :-(
Thanks,
Bert

RayVoy
06-13-2010, 09:25 PM
A bunch of threads on the rear HVAC (for extended trucks), some have pics. Try the search function.

the roadie
06-14-2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.roadie.org/rearactuators.jpg

hingarfi
06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
To replace the Aux BSCM (Item 5), my 2002 Chev service manual starts with removing the "HVAC module auxiliary" This ritual, involves removing the refrigerant and draining the cooling system !!!! etc. Is there any hope of replacing the AUX BSCM without removing "HVAC module auxiliary" ? ie any hope to loosen fasteners "7/8" (in your diagram) and simply tilt the unit out to get to the AUX BSCM ?? I notice that, under the car, all 4 fluid connections are flexible so maybe the whole unit could be leaned out enough to get at the BSCM.
Is there anyone out there who has replaced this BSCM AUX without draining fluids?
TIA
Bert

PS: I just found steveb407's description of replacement by disassembly -- not tilting. I guess I need to sleep on it.

hingarfi
06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=57732&page=3

I have ordered the motor speed control module.
Thanks to all for the help
Bert

hingarfi
06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
I post this in case others face this problem.

Well, I replaced the Aux BSCM and the blower is now working fine. The "tilting" method made the task quite simple. There is certainly no need to completely remove the unit as specified in the GM Service Manual. (drain engine coolant, capture freon etc). You remove the 4 bolts (2 top, 2 under vehicle), Then lift the unit a couple of inches and then it will lean away from the wall about 45 deg. A T15 torx is need to remove the Aux BSCM.
Cheers,
Bert

the roadie
06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Glad you're running now. You didn't happen to take any pics in there, did you?

hingarfi
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Glad you're running now. You didn't happen to take any pics in there, did you?
Sorry no pictures taken. Actually, I am a bit of a camera geek and even thought about taking a couple pictures. However, my wife was involved in the process -- with holding the light etc and was not a happy camper in my Texas garage (about 95F). If I had suggested the camera, I would have been in deep trouble. But to all interested, it really is simple to tilt this unit out for work (and I am a token DIY guy)
Cheers,
Bert

shemmings
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Can the same part #89018778 be used in a non ATC system? I have the manual contol system in my 02 Envoy SLE EXT. just want to be sure since ordering on line. Thanks.

the roadie
11-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Nope. The manual system needs a cheaper resistor pack that you can usually find for under $40 at any aftermarket parts store.

If you insist on getting it on-line, you can use Ac Delco 15-81095 or many other part numbers.

Read this thread for a lot more data:

Also, before you order anything, make sure your wiring harness and connector aren't heat-damaged as well. You may also need a pigtail wiring harness to crimp in.

shemmings
11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Roadie much appreciated.

kbowring13
01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
My heater would not blow up front only in the rear. I replaced the module with part # 89018778 and now the front will not stop blowing and I can not adjust the blower speed even when turned off! Did I install it wrong?

the roadie
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Assuming you didn't force the 3-pin connector in backwards, I can't think of anything except a bad module that can do that.

kbowring13
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks Roadie. The guy at the dealership said it is not bad, it has to be something else. I am calling them back now to see if they have another I can exchange just in case.

Mark McGuire
01-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, I guess I get to join the club too. My problem is my blower motor will NOT stop blowing, won't change speeds. I unhooked the battery and it stopped, hoped it would reset, no luck. I have an extended warranty that is suppose to take care of all electronics, thinking about taking it to the dealer.

2005, dual climate control, 52000 miles, been making a noise like it's cycling something (if that helps).

Did a search didn't find anything for a motor that keeps running, just those that don't.

Any suggestions?

the roadie
01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Mark: You have the automatic digital controls? The speed control module is often reported to fail while leaving the blower motor running, and you have to yank the fuse or disconnect the battery to save it overnight.

kbowring13: You can pull the connector off the back of the dashboard control head, to prove to the dealership that you have a bad speed control module, but other than that, you need a meter to prove it.

Mark McGuire
01-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks Roadie, yea I disconnected the battery. Yeap digital controls. The wife is not off work till Wed. so I think I will have her take it by the dealer. In the mean time I will read some more and see if it is within my abilities to fix it. I think I saw a sticky on how to replace it.

Thanks again for your help.:thx

the roadie
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Dealer?!?!?! :eek:

That's a fightin' word. :no:

This is the first post of a thread on how to change the other resistor pack for manual controls, but the location is the same. And Autozone and many aftermarket stores can get the speed module for your system. Part number's been posted.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=443102&postcount=1

kbowring13
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I exchange my module today, although the man insisted it was not bad. Couldn't wait for my husband to get home so I put it in. It works! I have heat blowing in front and rear, can adjust blower speed and turn it off! Thanks for your help Roadie it is greatly appreciated! I called the dealship back to let them know not to restock the first module because it is faulty. Thanks again!

the roadie
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
... I called the dealship back to let them know not to restock the first module because it is faulty. ...Always glad to help a fellow digital HVAC system owner. ;)

What are the odds the dealer will honor your request, or stick it to the next customer?

Mark McGuire
01-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Well I went out and tried but I just couldn't manage it. I couldn't get my big ol hands in there, when I dropped the cover there were 4 connections that I couldn't get loose, and I just can't get in there. I'm 6-2 290 pounds and there is just no room.

I guess I'm just having a bad day, maybe I can try again tomorrow. If anyone has any tips on how to get these things unhooked or a easy method for someone big to do this I'll give it a try but I'm just very frustraded right now. It's suppose to be simple.

Help

the roadie
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Wives and kids can often be taught to use tools, I've been told.

By my wife and kid. :rotfl:

I suppose you don't need another steroid joke. :no:

JamesDowning
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
The only way I could manage was laying on my back on the floor with the seat all the way back. Head lamp on the head so I could see. Just enough room to distort your arms in there. Although - you've got about 100 lbs on me.

bedardmi
01-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm just about to start on this adventure of replacing the blower module myself and one thing I have taken a look at is the connectors on the module itself. Because I like to know how to do something before I embark on the whole deal I tried to disconnect/reconnect however I realized I'm not very smart and don't really know how to disconnect this type of connector.

I really want to avoid pulling the wires out or doing something that will make my life really difficult.

So if anyone has connector insight - I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mike

bedardmi
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
OK - so had to drive my boss to the GMC dealership to pick up his Saturn so I figured why not just pick up that Module. Normally $134 or so - guy was willing to budget a bit so came in much closer to the online amount. Thanks to the guys at Sellers Buick GMC - these guys are top notch - I've gotten a Grand Prix, Sierra, and my Trailblazer from them so loyalty pays - get to know your parts guy! Loyalty helps!

So got home at 7:00 PM - started at 7:30 PM and even fixed the AM Radio issue we were having while I was under there. For degree of difficulty this is where all of the aftermarket cords are housed so I got to dodge those too.

This board is the only way I was able to get this done so kudos to the very intelligent and wise folks at Trailvoy.com

I guess when I have a chance I owe a donation for sure because this easily saved me a couple hundo in taking it in to the shop.

Thanks for all your expertise - much appreciated!

mykcrawford
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Is the Blower Motor Module the same at the "Blower Resistor Pack" in this thread: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32751...?

I've replaced the "Blower Resistor Pack" before and I just tried replacing it with a new one this afternoon. Didn't help so I put the old one back in. I have an '04 Envoy with the auto controls. I have no air coming from the front or defrost. Not too fun this morning when it was 10 degrees and the windows couldn't defrost. Any ideas?

the roadie
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM
If you have the auto controls, then the speed control module for you is in the same location as the resistor pack for the manual control owners. But it looks a little different and costs more. :sadcry:

Did you check the HVAC and blower fuses first? Do you have fan movement on ANY speed?

mykcrawford
02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah I replaced the speed control module in 10/09. I picked up a new one today, put it in, no luck. I checked all the fuses and tried the reset steps. I have no movement on ANY speed. :confused:

the roadie
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
How's the harness connector look where it mates to the module?

Do you have a meter and can you check the 3-pin connector for power and ground at the module end? How about at the blower motor 2-pin conenctor while the motor's plugged in?

Do your airflow actuators work OK and does the control module display light up with the expected outside air temp?

mykcrawford
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
All of the harnesses looked fine. I do not have a meter to check for power.

The actuators appear to work as I can hear them moving when changing modes. The outside air temperature does display.

Jerryod
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I had the same problem on a 03 envoy auto climate control. Tested the fuses everything okay, blower motor removed and tested with a 12Vdc source - worked fine.
My mechanic determined it was the (RESISTANCE )module--- replaced with a new one from dealer now works fine.

I was told that when snow is blowing with very fine snow flakes, some flakes can get into the blower (fan area) and get on the blower itself. This forms a little ice and jams the fan sometimes.

Mine had a little ice but when exposed to room temp it melted away and the fan worked fine. (Could this have caused the resistance to short out)???? Anyway fixed now and works like new.

the roadie
02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Engineering-wise, if you have the manual speed control, the module consists of a relay used for speed 5 to apply full voltage to the blower, and four resistors for the lower speeds. These resistors absorb the power not used by the blower motor, and that's a lot of watts, so they are put into the airflow of the blower to cool off. Unfortunately, the lowest speed of the blower means it's the maximum power being thrown away in the resistor pack, and that's when the cooling airflow is the lowest. So parts of the resistor pack overheat, and burn up because the designers are always beaten and whipped by management for saving every possible penny.

If you have the automatic control system, with more than five speeds, it's an electronic module without wasteful resistors in the airflow. It's an FET [pronounced eff-ee-tee] (field effect transistor) used as a switch, being turned on and off hundreds of times a second by the control module, and the proportion of on time to off time is what gives the motor a varying speed. That's called a PWM (pulse width modulation) control signal, and it's why this module only has three input wires (power, control, ground) instead of six.

Not that a mechanic would ever care how it works inside, but as an engineer, I like to write these little essays once in a while. ;)

mykcrawford: It's time to buy a meter and practice using it. Modern vehicles require a higher level of experience to troubleshoot things without shotgunning. If you want to avoid paying techs or the dealer to diagnose things, that is. :yes:

Gilray Densham
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Hi Guys,
I have new blower module to replace but do not know exactly where it is placed in car, anyone have any answers even photos of how to do?
Cheers Gil.

mykcrawford
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,
I have new blower module to replace but do not know exactly where it is placed in car, anyone have any answers even photos of how to do?
Cheers Gil.

JustAWoman
06-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Engineering-wise, if you have the manual speed control, the module consists of a relay used for speed 5 to apply full voltage to the blower, and four resistors for the lower speeds. These resistors absorb the power not used by the blower motor, and that's a lot of watts, so they are put into the airflow of the blower to cool off. Unfortunately, the lowest speed of the blower means it's the maximum power being thrown away in the resistor pack, and that's when the cooling airflow is the lowest. So parts of the resistor pack overheat, and burn up because the designers are always beaten and whipped by management for saving every possible penny.

If you have the automatic control system, with more than five speeds, it's an electronic module without wasteful resistors in the airflow. It's an FET [pronounced eff-ee-tee] (field effect transistor) used as a switch, being turned on and off hundreds of times a second by the control module, and the proportion of on time to off time is what gives the motor a varying speed. That's called a PWM (pulse width modulation) control signal, and it's why this module only has three input wires (power, control, ground) instead of six.

Not that a mechanic would ever care how it works inside, but as an engineer, I like to write these little essays once in a while. ;)

mykcrawford: It's time to buy a meter and practice using it. Modern vehicles require a higher level of experience to troubleshoot things without shotgunning. If you want to avoid paying techs or the dealer to diagnose things, that is. :yes:

the roadie: I joined just to say a special THANK YOU to you for all the information you have given here!! You have helped a woman, help her retired mother who is on a fixed income, fix her car!!!! I couldnt have done it without you. You saved me a ton of money the dealer would have milked out of my poor mother. Thanks again!!

the roadie
06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
the roadie: I joined just to say a special THANK YOU to you for all the information you have given here!! It's motivation like that that keeps ALL the unpaid volunteers here going! Thanks from ALL of us! Now about your choice of member names......:nono: Mrs. Roadie (your classic bra-burning full-equality libber from the 60's) could have helped you choose a different one. Like "ICanFixACarTooBoys". :woot:You have helped a woman,I'm an equal opportunity helper-outer. :tiphat help her retired mother who is on a fixed income, fix her car!!!! I couldnt have done it without you. You saved me a ton of money the dealer would have milked out of my poor mother. Thanks again!!I LOVE keeping the dealers honest, so they might get the hint to price simple jobs fairly instead of ripping off their loyal customers. But they seem to not be taking the hint. :weird: :duh:

JustAWoman
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
There is a recall on the resistor/module for those with manual controls. Dealership said so today...

the roadie
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Back to 2005? That would be extraordinary. AND it would be the sort of useful data to have confirmed from the GM Customer Svc rep who used to lurk here.

TWA302
08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Looks like I have joined the club for the no front air issue in my 04 TB LT (auto air controls). :suicide: Honestly I love my TB with 140xxx on it, this is the FIRST issue I have every had with it.
Being the car idiot I am and reading through all of the details, I assume that this is the part that I will need?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/part_images/890193511.jpeg

GMdirect has it for $68.72 with S&H....not bad!

jbrawner
11-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Does anyone have a photo of the blower fan module on an '03 Envoy? Fan doesn't work on any speed setting. Thanks.

the roadie
11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
There are at least two pics of the module IN THIS VERY THREAD. Did you miss 'em?

Actually, not sure what a picture of the module will help with.

venom46825
02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
As you can see below, I replaced the blower module 3 years ago. Yesterday my front blower stopped working...no erratic speeds or running with key off as before. The lights on the control panel work normal and also displays the outside temp properly.

Roadie mentioned this FET, is that different than the "module"?

Please advise.

I picked up part #89018778 (blower module) from Hire's today at lunch. Price was actually $72 w/ tax. We have a Delco distributor here in Fort Wayne, so I was able to pick it same day. Ran home, slapped it in, and everything works like new on my "auto climate controls"! SHWEET! Thanks to this web-site I saved at least $100 or more by DIY vs dealership. Thanks trailvoy.com!

I actually bought the blower motor resistor on Friday, but after more reading on this web-site realized I needed the heater control "module" since I have the "auto climate control" in my LTZ. Since I did not install the resistor, I was able to return it to Hire's and get my $42 back.

Now we can enjoy comfort in our current sub-zero conditions.

BruceCSnow
09-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Does part 89018778 only have a 3 plug receptical? Don't know if this question was answered.

jxg141
11-27-2012, 01:02 AM
This is my first post and I am learning. I need to replace the blower motor module in my 2003 trailblazer and the new module comes with 3 wires to be spliced . Are they to be spliced into the 3 pin connector that was connected to the old module? Is there a diagram to indicate which wires are to be connected. I have found the information for the removal of the module very helpful.

Thanks

browntown
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
I found this thread and the other one http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=1162516 on changing the resistor/module very helpful. I have attached the instructions that I received when I bought the new F-Module. My issue is that now, my blower will not stop running even with the key out of the ignition. I am going to go back under there and double check but any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: the part GM PN 89018778 was replaced with 19260762 according to newgmparts.com and the instructions attached are for the new part.

edit2: I guess the blower would run all the time if you cross the red and black wires! Hopefully the schematic helps anyone who needs it.

mjpfm
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
:)i would like to thank all on this thread for the help with me fixing my 2007 trailbrazer. air conditioner blower worked fine but when it switched to needing some heat the blower would not work. after looking over this thread i found out that there are two units for this model. manual and digital, mine was digital so went i bought the unit it did not match the old unit. the dealer told me i had manual then. i showed him that the new digital model had to be wired up as per the post from "Browntown and TWA302". He then found the wiring paperwork in another box. He charged me 70.00 for the part .
thanks again for the lesson.
Mjpfm

Bear Paws
04-24-2013, 11:45 PM
edit: the part GM PN 89018778 was replaced with 19260762 according to newgmparts.com and the instructions attached are for the new part.
Had a flaky blower motor on the wife's 03 TB. Again... Remembered this thread from last time I replaced the module 2 years go so stopped by for the part#. Great place guys.

Yep, went to order the 89018778 module last night and GmPartsDirect.com gave me the option to check the number against the VIN. I figured, ''Oh what the heck why not'', just to be certain. Its been superseded again. Its now $54.31 with kit and instructions..
Their response;

Hi,

Thank you for your emailed inquiry to us at

www.GmPartsDirect.com. We look forward to receiving your order. I have entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below is the part number requested to be verified as correct for the VIN supplied.

19260762 (Replaces 89018778) Heater and A/C blower motor control module.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=19260762&tid=1906

Please use the link provided to order and price the supplied part numbers, as the alternate parts catalog (TradeMotion catalog) may not list the part numbers supplied. Once the part numbers are added to the shopping cart the shipping and handling and order total will be displayed before entering any of your personal information or credit card number

05exttbls
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Sounds like the blower motor resistor its a 30 dollar fix from autozone

02Tahoelt
10-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Ok am having the same problem as everyone here, went to Discount Auto Parts my local auto parts store and it was $184.99 for BWD I think, guy at the store told me I can try it if that's not the problem he will take the return, ran home tried it, it works beautiful. Took it out, returned it and told the guy that wasn't my problem. Didn't like the fact I have to cut my original wire harness from the truck to install the part.
Am looking thru the forum and seeing that there's a new updated part that looks like the part I purchased.
Now I've found these part number and wondering if it will work on my truck
2006 Gmc Envoy Xl Denali
My original part # is 15-80567, but have found these part #
15-73535 and 15-80655
Let me know, wha you guys think
Thanks in advance

ptatro1960
11-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I replaced troubleshoot the problem about six months ago. Blower wasn't working; according to all tests it was the blower motor. I replaced the blower motor; it worked for awhile. It stopped working about a month ago. I am about to start the whole troubleshooting process again. Question is; could there be something causing the blower motors to go bad.