spare tire [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: spare tire

PUGHVOY14
03-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey guys i need some help. I have a 2002 Envoy and i can not get the spare tire to lower it will come down about 2 inches and no more. Any ideas, i would appreciate your input. thanks

the roadie
03-25-2007, 01:39 PM
The owner's manual has a section under the "changing a flat" instructions about the "secondary latch system". It's a safety system in case the main cable corrodes or breaks. Of course, the secondary latch is usually the thing that corrodes and keeps the tire held up there when you want it to come down. Especially if you haven't exercised or lubricated it regularly.

If you don't have your owner's manual handy, there's copies in the "resources" section of the site.

It could also be a hung-up cable winch, but 99% of the time, it's the secondary latch. Good luck - please report back so we can feel we're giving out accurate advice. :D

MTPockets
03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
If that secondary latch system doesn't work either, atleast you can lower it some to get some slack in the cable. You may need to cut the cable with a bolt cutter and order a whole new spare tire winch. IIRC, they are a ~$100 dealer only item.

Joel

PUGHVOY14
03-26-2007, 12:49 AM
:cry: Thanks guys for the info. You were exactly right it is the secondary latch. The manual says if the cable lowers it is the secondary latch and the cable will lower just fine but the tire only lowers 3 inches. The manual says to put the jack directly under the center of the tire and jack it up that will release it. Has anyone had to do this before? thanks in advance

the roadie
03-26-2007, 01:15 AM
No substitute for being the first one to try something and report back. Try the manual's procedure. Take the plunge. Just do it! :laugh:

Seriously, we have 10,000 members. Many people have probably had to do it, but not all of them are reading the site today. If you're trying to lower the spare, I figured you needed it. Soon. Like you had a flat. Get 'er done! :woot:

jaylind
03-26-2007, 01:51 AM
If you can get it down 3 inches you should be able to lift the tire up enough to angle the (don't know the word) holder, holding the tire enough to release the spare..just push the tire up against the underbody and get a buddy to play with the holder...or get them to hold the tire..lol

JAy

BearingBuddy
03-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Good luck, mine corroded (thanks to salt) and wouldn't lower. :hissy: I had to cut it with a cut off wheel and replace the whole unit. I forget the exact price I paid but I recall it being shy of $100. Note to self... exercise that baby on ocassion just like e-brake.... :duh:
Jeff D

PUGHVOY14
03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the answers guys. I really appreciate it. I just got the truck about three months ago. I know on other vehicles i have had the cables corrode so i was trying to lower it before i do need it and that is when i encountered the problem. thanks again for all the help, Joe

K2JJB
09-16-2007, 09:37 PM
anybody have a PN for the winch... mine is corroded and only comes down part way. If I had to I could get the spare off so I am OK for now... but my wife will be using the vehicle and while she can change the tire it would be hard for her to get the thing off the hard way.

thanks!
-JB

soldittomyson
11-04-2007, 12:45 AM
The winch part number is 15247311. The part costs around $100. There is definately a corrosion issue with the secondary latch. Best to check it, clean it, grease it, when checking air pressure on the spare. Spare tire will likely drop a couple inches when you uncrank the winch. If it hangs up at that point, the secondary latch is not releasing. Continuing to uncrank the cable can tear up the winch, as the cable has nowhere to go. After lowering the tire a couple inches, try supporting the tire and forcing it back up. This may give you enough room to fuss with the crusty secondary latch mechanism without having the tire drop on you. You may be able to free it up and then further lower it to clean and grease it. If anyone from GM reads this, you should not be proud of this latch. Anyone from Detroit should recognize that the underside of the car is a corrosive environment and that should have been considered in this design. The tightly fitting parts and tiny spring can not withstand the exposure to dirt, water, salt, etc... and it turns to junk very quickly. The other problem is you will never know about it until you need the spare.

randyusarmy
11-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I ended up unbolting mine and spending about 20 damn minutes trying to get it off the fram after it was unbolted. This is what mine looked like
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/randy_army/DSCN2013.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/randy_army/DSCN2012.jpg

ThEx CoNvOy x07
11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Try twisting the tire.

itchyfishnv
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
i just bought one from gm parts direct... had the same problem... when I get it I am going to soak it in an oil pan to keep it from rusting lol.

rbarrios
11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
wow!!!!!!!!! thats bad.
I just lowered mine the other day when I did the rear end gear lube change.
and the cable was so nice and shiny. Actually I was a little surprissed
This is aftr 5 yrs. I am in Socal.