Wind and my Door [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Wind and my Door

baist111
04-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, I never though I would say this, but a 70MPH wind gust blew my door right off the hinges.

Actually, it wasn't that bad, but now my door is misaligned about an 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch, and it won't open without scraping where it meets the front quarter panel. I tried holding on to the door, but the wind blew it so hard, it ripped it right out of my hand (ouch). So for the time being, I have to climb in and out of the passengers side, which isn't a big deal except for the fact I'm 6'4" and it's really hard to do. But anyway... I don't think it actually damaged the door at all, except for a couple of scratches on the edge of the door, what I am concerned about though is the fact that it started to separate where the hinge is welded to the frame. I'm lost because of what I should do, should I submit a claim with the insurance co., or should I try to get it fixed for under $500 (the amount of my deductable)?

canadianbacon
04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
this exact thing happened to my saab a few weeks ago...in the parking lot at work, the hinge weld is cracked, i took it to the dealer to get it fixed as i see this as a manufacturering defect. they said that its not the door is 'overextended' my response was that i bloody knew that but they would no cover it, i called saab corporate and escalated got the same run around, i dropped it off at the body shop to get the door fixed yesterday and its going to come out of my insurance for comprehensive, but for my deductible i'm going to small claims court with saab/gm for my deductible i'm out of pocket...

has this happened to other people? and has this been covered under warranty ?

Blazernut
04-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, I never though I would say this, but a 70MPH wind gust blew my door right off the hinges.

Actually, it wasn't that bad, but now my door is misaligned about an 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch, and it won't open without scraping where it meets the front quarter panel. I tried holding on to the door, but the wind blew it so hard, it ripped it right out of my hand (ouch). So for the time being, I have to climb in and out of the passengers side, which isn't a big deal except for the fact I'm 6'4" and it's really hard to do. But anyway... I don't think it actually damaged the door at all, except for a couple of scratches on the edge of the door, what I am concerned about though is the fact that it started to separate where the hinge is welded to the frame. I'm lost because of what I should do, should I submit a claim with the insurance co., or should I try to get it fixed for under $500 (the amount of my deductable)?

Wow that sucks big time. Better get the estimates rolling. You will know right away after a couple what you are looking at.

If you get the insurance to do it you can get it all done right. Sure don't want to skimp on driver door hinges and welding.

:m2:
B.

Frostee
04-17-2007, 10:50 AM
:iagree: with blazernut. get some estimates so you can see what the costs are going to be first. then decide how to go. but definitely do not skimp at all.

canadianbacon
04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
check your door, my hinge weld on the top is actually cracked right thru, i also have a nice little dent in the front of the door where it went further then it should have and it contacted a frame support piece....

the body shop put in an estimate to the insurance company that will be a $1200 repair...for materials (new hinges), and labor to dismantle and to fix the dent and repaint....they have to see how badly the door may have been dented it may be more cost effective for them to replace the entire door panel...they said they will let me know...

baist111
04-17-2007, 11:10 AM
check your door, my hinge weld on the top is actually cracked right thru, i also have a nice little dent in the front of the door where it went further then it should have and it contacted a frame support piece....

the body shop put in an estimate to the insurance company that will be a $1200 repair...for materials (new hinges), and labor to dismantle and to fix the dent and repaint....they have to see how badly the door may have been dented it may be more cost effective for them to replace the entire door panel...they said they will let me know...

I don't think it dented it... but then again, it's been raining since it happend so I haven't been outside enough to notice... I think there are just a couple of scratches on the edge where it has been scraping/contacted something it wasn't supposed to.

$1200 dollars... is what I was thinking worse case scenario... but then again, I don't know anything about body work.

Guess it's time to call a couple of body shops, and get there opinions, and then obviously the insurance co... I'm already get porked for insurance, I'd just hate them to drop me or even worse raise it again!

PROSPHOTO
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
this exact thing happened to my saab a few weeks ago...in the parking lot at work, the hinge weld is cracked, i took it to the dealer to get it fixed as i see this as a manufacturering defect. they said that its not the door is 'overextended' my response was that i bloody knew that but they would no cover it, i called saab corporate and escalated got the same run around, i dropped it off at the body shop to get the door fixed yesterday and its going to come out of my insurance for comprehensive, but for my deductible i'm going to small claims court with saab/gm for my deductible i'm out of pocket...

has this happened to other people? and has this been covered under warranty ?

Did you actually damage the door or fender, or just the hinge?

MTPockets
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Any decent body shop should be able to fix that up in short order. With smaller stuff, I try to work out a cash deal (get a better price). With no door damage, I don't see how this could exceed $500. I carry a higher deductable to keep my premiums low.:worried:

Joel

canadianbacon
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Did you actually damage the door or fender, or just the hinge?

the door flew out of my hands like the original post person's door, the door flew open completely and i heard a metallic 'crack' sound (difficult to describe) and i noticed right away that the door doesn't close properly, when i got home that night and took a look and the weld on the top of the hinge was cracked right thru, i have a pic at home that i can put a piece of paper between the body frame and the door hinge...its that cracked...the consequence of the hinge failure led to the door 'overextending' thus letting the door hit the body frame support on the other side and causing a dent in it...

PROSPHOTO
04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
We had something similar happen to our GP a few years back...I pulled up to a gas pump & when I went to get out, the wind took the door. Fortunately (for my fender & hinge) there was a fire extinguisher box there; but my door didn't like it...get a nice big dent in the door just above the handle.

It sucks, but I doubt you're going to get anywhere going after GM...Keep us posted though :yes:

baist111
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Just as an update, I talked to my insurance company, and anything that happens because of nature (or "an act of God"), is convered under the comprehensive part of your policy. Depending on your insurance company, usually doesn't raise your premium or count against you... just in case you were thinking about not filing a claim.

Anyways... I filed a claim, and the body shop told me that depending on how much was streched out in the process, it might cost anywhere between $400-$1500. When this happens they will replace, even if it's not damaged (because it might be stretched out), the two hinges ($174 each) and the check strap (not sure what it is, but it's under $100 i think). They will start there, but if your inner door shell or hinge pillar is twisted it might cost upwards of $900+ to replace the door and other parts.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think filing a claim is the way to go... that way I'll have it done right the first time, and won't have to worry about any after effects.

Now I'm just hoping the weather gets better, so I can ride my bike to work while my car is being repaired.

canadianbacon
05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
update for mine, door took 6 days to get it all done, i was not out of pocket for it the insurance company took care of it under comprehensive coverage...They gave me a Dodge Durango SLT with the hemi to drive around for a few days...

in either case everything is back to the way it was before, however the mech did bring out the old hinge to compare to the new one, they don't even make the old one apparently 'cuz he wasn't able to order it, he had to order a new reinforcing plate and new hinge design...needless to say i'm going to take this up with my saab dealership next time and ask them about it since obviously it was a bad original design if the hinges are now different...