Problems with radio button lights [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Problems with radio button lights

tflynn74
05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Has anyone else had a problem with the bulbs that light the buttons on their radio? I have a 2005 Trailblazer LS and I am goin on my third radio because the lights keep going out. There could be worse problems but still annoying.

Aukland
05-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Have you checked into your wiring, there could be a problem with that. I dont think that there is a known problem with this matter, pther then that, you may want to look into a good aftermarket Head unit to put in and see if that will cure your problem. Other then that, maybe get it checked out by a shop or dealer.....

csendker
06-20-2007, 10:45 PM
'04 standard CD/radio.

Two lights have blown out on my radio - from the bottom row of buttons; right-hand side. Are these really not a replacable thing? A new radio because a stupid light or two blew out? And I'm out of warranty...

I suppose the radio has some sort of security code, so buying a replacement (e-buy, junk yard or wherever) isn't going to work either?

Ugh.

JR4815D2
06-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Funny.. It just happen to my radio..:duh: One of the buttons the light went out also... I am not planning to replace it anytime soon.. unless it becomes a problem.. I just happen to notice about 3 days ago...so I am assuming it happen last week.. If it's not one thing is the other...:hissy:

Ben98gs
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Anyone know how to replace these??? I am going to try tonight and any help on accessing them would be great.

shaunhey
01-14-2008, 11:19 PM
I reported some HVAC panel lights and radio lights being out to my dealer a couple weeks ago. They completely replaced the radio and HVAC panel. Seems like a waste to me, but I'm sure they refurbish the units and resell... To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that went in were refurbs...

smalltownrp830
01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
I got an idea.... aftermarket:duh:

2001FZ1
01-15-2008, 07:15 AM
I reported some HVAC panel lights and radio lights being out to my dealer a couple weeks ago. They completely replaced the radio and HVAC panel. Seems like a waste to me, but I'm sure they refurbish the units and resell... To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that went in were refurbs...

Same here. If the lights go out in the new radio, I'll just put in aftermarket.

Ben98gs
01-15-2008, 08:53 AM
I took pictures of how to replace the lights in the radio. $6 worth of bulbs and an hour to solder them is a lot better than a buying a $150+ aftermarket radio.

Hopefully I will have time in the next few days to write up an article.

chrome
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
that sure sounds like something I would like to do and change the color of the lights

Ben98gs
01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I had thought about switching them to LEDs but then it would not match everything else and I really do not feel like swapping everything over right now. I might in the future.

I am going to try and get a "tutorial" written up tonight, it really was not that hard as long as you know what you are doing to solder.

Ben98gs
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=36199;)

chrome
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Good write-up. I might just have to take my radio apart and see if i can get my band button unstuck and maybe change to a different color or lights....time will tell.

Thanks for pics and sharing.

Ben98gs
01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I actually bought my replacement buttons from:

www.specmo.com

Ben98gs
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Just to add

This is a good site for everything GM radio's. I have called and they provide excellent tech support.
http://www.corvetteradios.com/
I have found buttons, bulbs, new radios, etc, They even have the Pontiac/corvette display bulb that always burns out.

Stock style replacement bulbs
http://www.corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios_013.htm

Those bulbs are EXPENSIVE though. For the bulbs I found at Radio Shack (2 bulbs for $1.69) I would have to pay about $30 shipped from corvetteradios. :eek:

Also, the button I bought (Volume/Power) was $8 and the smoked clear plastic display cover $12 appear to be about 50% cheaper than the buttons on corvetteradios.

Catfish_SS
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
One word. Kenwood. Tax ruturn time a nice Double din going in.:m2:

blackbear10
10-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Ben98gs can you give us more info on the bulb replacement? I need to do that to my 06 TB.