4WD Transfer Case or Transmission Whine [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 4WD Transfer Case or Transmission Whine

mpsrent
11-24-2005, 01:33 PM
My 2004 Envoy has a distinctive whine that increases with speed when the vehicle is in 4WD High. As soon as you switch from 4WD to AWD, the whine goes away. It almost sounds like an electric motor noise when heard from inside the vehicle.

Does anyone else have this whine? Has anyone expereinced a transmission or transfer case problem that would create such a whine? Thanks.

geneelder
11-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I get this whine when sitting in park and switching into 4Hi also, i have never actually used it, but when i switch into it, it does make that noise. I have the electronic Autotrac transfercase.

Flawsey_Bee
11-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Did you go over 55mph when you was in 4hi because your not suppose to .Also was it wet,rainy, or snowy while you was driving in this mode ?:undecided

mpsrent
11-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Speed was less than 55. This is drving on snow covered or wet pavement. The noise starts as low as 10 mph and increases proportunately as you speed up to 40 or 50.

gallai
11-24-2005, 03:36 PM
:eek: I didn't know about this 55 limit. I occasionally drove on the highway with 4HI. (It was beginning to snow and the road was totally unpredictable.)
Did I do something wrong?

Greg

ScarabEpic22
11-24-2005, 10:04 PM
:eek: I didn't know about this 55 limit. I occasionally drove on the highway with 4HI. (It was beginning to snow and the road was totally unpredictable.)
Did I do something wrong?

Greg
Probably not, it just puts too much strain on the front axle components as they arent designed for over 55mph. I would probably try not to do it again, but if it is an emergency, then it is up to you.

Wxman
11-25-2005, 12:39 AM
I just don't think there is a 55mph limit for the 4wd. At least not on the newer vehicles. The manual doesn't mention it (in fact it even says you can switch to A4WD or 4HI at any speed).

The front axle components are all moving whether in 4WD or not. The hubs don't release like days of old. The only difference is whether the front axle/driveshaft is 'connected' at the transfer case or not. The front axle and front driveshaft are all turning regardless.

Hope this helps
Wxman

lowered envoy
11-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Sounds like either the bearing on the pressure plate inside the transfer case for the clutch is making the noise.Or possibly the front output bearing on the transfer case.I haven't seen too many problems with the front differentials but seen lots of the pressure plate and bearing problems.This isn't an easy fix.the t case would have to be removed and disassembled for the repair.Hopefully this isn 't the problem.
let me know what happens.
Chris.

mpsrent
11-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Today my SERVICE 4WD light came on, so I'm off to the dealer for service. Something is definately wrong. Once I get it repaired, I will update everyone in case this happens to someone else. Thanks for all the input.

itchyfishnv
11-25-2005, 05:23 PM
what was wrong with it? encoder motor?

mpsrent
11-28-2005, 11:13 AM
I can't get in for service until Tuesday. I'm not sure what is wrong though I suspect it is electrical. It sounded like an electric motor whine, like a solenoid or something similar. What is an encoder motor?

Dave
11-28-2005, 11:24 PM
4HI is supposed to be used for extremely slippery conditions which means you shouldn't be going near 55 mph.

A4WD can be used all of the time.

2 HI is for conditions when you know for sure it is dry.

I generally ask myself a question when deciding which mode to use. Is the road wet (or gravel)? No means 2HI, maybe means A4WD, yes means 4HI.

ScarabEpic22
11-29-2005, 02:07 AM
I dont know if my TB manual says 55MPH, but Im pretty sure my 96 Jimmy manual said 55. I dont ever want to go over 55 in 4WD (again-stupid electrical engaging when it shouldnt) so I can save my drivetrain.

mpsrent
11-29-2005, 10:03 PM
My dealer checked the problem and had to order an encoder motor for the transfer case. The motor apparently does the switching from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. Making progress.

mpsrent
11-30-2005, 01:17 PM
So they put the encoder motor in but that was not the fix. They opened up the transfer case and found a broken band. More parts on order and another day to wiat until she is fixed.

mpsrent
12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds like either the bearing on the pressure plate inside the transfer case for the clutch is making the noise.Or possibly the front output bearing on the transfer case.I haven't seen too many problems with the front differentials but seen lots of the pressure plate and bearing problems.This isn't an easy fix.the t case would have to be removed and disassembled for the repair.Hopefully this isn 't the problem.
let me know what happens.
Chris.

Chris, you called it right! The bearing on the pressure plate went, taking out the entire tranfer case, Everything inside exploded. They put in a new transfer case under warranty as the cost to repair the old one was more than the cost of a new unit. Thanks for the help.

To anyone out there who hears a speed sensitive whine when operating your vehicle in 4wd, you had better get it checked because my experience is that its a sign that your transfer case may be going.

needonetime
09-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I hate to crack open an old old OLD thread but I really hope this isn't the case on my truck. I put my truck in 4wd today and noticed a whinning noise in the front passenger side. It gets louder the faster you go, and immediately starts to fade when going from 4HI to Auto.

I JUST had my TC serviced two weeks ago maybe a little longer. Here's to hoping they remembered to piece everything back together when they did it?

harpo1
02-07-2010, 08:08 AM
I have unfortunatley the same issue, a ruff whining sound from passenger floor in 4wdhi all the time.

In A4wd when choosen for a second and every time it engages.

I just bought my TB in November and the TC was changed just 12.000 km before that.

scuba2dogs
02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately I just started having the same problem!

Few weeks ago during that snow storm here in Delaware I had to go into A4WD to get around and ended up staying like that for a couple of days do to the condition of the roads. Always just traveling a short distance, 6/7 mile trips one-way. I tried never to go more then 45 mph 50 at the most. Started hearing a whining sound the other day in 2WD and today it got loader and started losing momentum. I stopped and tried shifting in A4WD, 4HI. 4LO. There's a problem shifting from 2WD to A4WD that is "nothing" there doesn't seem to be any change.

I'm going to start looking for a TC and see if I can switch out. Will keep all informed.

I hate to crack open an old old OLD thread but
I believe it better to add to a older thread to keep the subject highlighted then to start a new one. Maybe one of the Administrator can clarify. I know on the small vB forum that I own that's the way I like it.

the roadie
02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
How many miles, and was the TC fluid changed every 50K as required? Depending on what's going on with the encoder motor, you may also have a dry front diff. First I'd recommend checking the fluids, then listen for the two distinctive motor noises that control our 4WD system. And if you can, fully describe the lights you see on your mode switch, since there's a great set of clues there.

scuba2dogs
02-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the reply, The Roadie

How many miles,
and was the TC fluid changed every 50K as required?
I doubt it, (I forgot to mention that it's my girlfriends TB, so I'm only call upon when somethings wrong, I'll just leave it at that) I know it went in for service but what got done IDK.

First I'd recommend checking the fluids,
When i get time I all do that, but for now the TB not going to leave the driveway.

listen for the two distinctive motor noises that control our 4WD system.
What should I be listening for that is normal or not normal?

And if you can, fully describe the lights you see on your mode switch, since there's a great set of clues there.
the light blinks 3/8 times before switching into another mode. when I go from 2HI to A4WD I feel and hear nothing, A4WD to 4HI I hear the shift and can feel it shift, same for 4HI to 4LO fell it and hear it shift.

the roadie
02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
What should I be listening for that is normal or not normal?
The front axle actuator is a very high pitched whine that only operates during 2WD to A4WD mode changes and vice versa. The encoder motor on the side of the transfer case moves a little bit for each of the three possible transitions. (2WD to A4WD, A4WD to 4HI, and 4HI to 4LO.), and is a lower pitched motor noise for a shorter duration.

the light blinks 3/8 times before switching into another mode. when I go from 2HI to A4WD I feel and hear nothing, A4WD to 4HI I hear the shift and can feel it shift, same for 4HI to 4LO fell it and hear it shift.And when you see the light blink on the new selected mode, does it quit blinking eventually and go steady, or quit blinking and go dark? Anything on the Service 4WD lamp on the gauge cluster?

scuba2dogs
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
when you see the light blink on the new selected mode, does it quit blinking eventually and go steady, or quit blinking and go dark
When it quites blinking it stays steady.

I wanted to take the TB around the block to see if I can hear anything else but it does not have reverse. Would the front axle actuator stop it from going into reverse?

I do know now that when she was driving home she heard a loud bang, in her words "it sound like something hit the car" ??

the roadie
02-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Would the front axle actuator stop it from going into reverse? No possible connection.
I do know now that when she was driving home she heard a loud bang, in her words "it sound like something hit the car" ??Time to take it to a mechanic with a lift.

TBquestion
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
I just had my 2003 in at the shop because of the 4x4 noise, and it turned out to be a bad bearing. The unit only has 71,000 miles on it, so it was unexpected, but the noise is gone after 2 bearings and a shift fork.

burton
10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
My 2004 Envoy has a distinctive whine that increases with speed when the vehicle is in 4WD High. As soon as you switch from 4WD to AWD, the whine goes away. It almost sounds like an electric motor noise when heard from inside the vehicle.

Does anyone else have this whine? Has anyone expereinced a transmission or transfer case problem that would create such a whine? Thanks.

I had a wine just like that on my 2007 trailblazer took it in had 35,ooo on it and the tcase bearings were bad.

harpo1
10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
I had a wine just like that on my 2007 trailblazer took it in had 35,ooo on it and the tcase bearings were bad.

I just had my 2003 in at the shop because of the 4x4 noise, and it turned out to be a bad bearing. The unit only has 71,000 miles on it, so it was unexpected, but the noise is gone after 2 bearings and a shift fork.

Can you describe the sound as like a tire is rubbing against something??-
I have a sound like that in 4hi.

Which bearings was changed?.:thx

MightyFlashback
11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi,
since yesterday i recodnise this whining too.
I am so disapointed about this Truck, i've never owend
a vehicle with so many issues.
meanwhile i put over 2K in this Unit and i don't see a end.
Does anybody has a rough number for fixing the Transfercase ?

Thank you

mattman396
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
yea I have the same whine, loud in 4hi, still in auto4 but only loud under load, and it is very faint it 2wd when I go over bumps in the road, I started at the front end, I put $1800 worth of parts in the front diff and disconnect (carrier bearings were almost blown up, pinion bearings, disconnect bearings, 1 disconnect gear due to hard surface pitting, disconnect fork, seals, and the cv shafts were having hard spots in them so I did them as well, oh yea and then I changed the front wheel bearings and lower ball joints last month)
All the parts that I changed did have a problem.

But I still have a whine I will have to tear into the transfer case next, :duh: oh well It is cheaper than a new one!

mattman396
04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
well the transfer case input bearing was totally shot just about blown up, $650 worth of bearings and seals later I believe that is my noise, I pulled the rear diff cover off too just to see and all looks good in the rear end!:thumbsup:

mattman396
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM
well the transfer case input bearing was totally shot just about blown up,

:woot::woot::):woohoo: yes that was it! now it is very Quiet I cant even tell it is in 4wd! I got the trailblazer and it always had this whine. it is like a New car! and did not cost $40,000!:woohoo:

walterc
06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Had the same kind of whine and then my actuator motor quit working. So took it to the shop and found the actuator motor quit because the transfer case was gone, because the shift fork in the gear case was gone. According to the mechanic the gear case needed to be replaced (no serviceable parts) but when he called GM they told him the shift fork was available for $70. So apparently they have had a huge number of problems/complaints with the shift fork that causes a lot of problems if you don't catch it early enough.:mad:

So $1800 later:sadcry: . . . Now I'm wondering if I should keep it now that it has a new transfer case (put a new tranny in it two years ago) and had the front end fixed up, and hope I don't have that problem in the future or trade it in on a Ford?

It's the wife's car, so not sure what to do here.

2007tbls
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I have the same issue as well as some others but I already started a thread for that Please read it and see if its related. I have a whine when in 4HI but nothing else if someone reads the other thread please tell me if these 2 can be related... New thread started 10-30-12.

Thanks

aaric
11-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Newbie here. I couldn't find your new thread (not sure how, new to this whole thing), but... it sounds like my problem is the same as some of you have found. I have a whine in 4HI that starts low at low speed and gets louder proportionally with speed. By the sounds of it (pun intended), I'm looking at a TC internal bearing issue. Hope I can find an honest shop to deal with it. Need it soon. :worried:

2007tbls
11-16-2013, 08:40 AM
My other post had more details , I had the wine and there was a banging sound like the transfer case was binding up and when would bang the wine sound would get quiet and progressively get louder until it would bang again. This would continue until I took it out of 4x4.
Nowit.
I had my transfer case removed and rebuilt, rear and front diff's checked ok and the problem still persisted.
Last black Friday I got new tires, and the problem went away, until my 1st rotation, I noticed that it had startedr to come back have 500 miles until my second rotation, We'll see if that fixes it.
I'm not sure what's causing it, I'm starting to think that when I pull it up on ramps to change the oil that its messing something up.

its very frustrating, so far I'm at 144500 on the odometer.

aaric
11-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Replaced front diff fluid today. It was low, appeared to have been leaking based on oil on bottom and along gasket. It was dirty and low. Did not solve the problem. Rear seal and crank side seals, top and other casing areas checked. All appear satisfactory. Side shafts, rods all feel and appear normal. I plan to replace real diff fluid and TC fluid next weekend.
Need new tires so I'll go for that too.
78k mi and diff fluid was very black. It took about 12oz more than drained out.
I have no banging noises, no rattling, no clacking or clanging or banging. Just the whine.
It sounds like a little engine running in reverse and sound is def proportional to speed.

talmadgecook
12-13-2013, 08:32 AM

It should be the problem of transmission and will be fixed and your car will be running smooth as ever, you just have to visit Cook's Transmissions for solve your problem. I have been regular customer of Cook's Transmissions and it provides expert services. It has done a good work on my auto repair needs. ultimately, Best suggestion for you is just visit Cook's Transmissions (http://www.cookstransmissions.com/homepage.htm) once.