Driver door does not fit right, confused. Help! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Driver door does not fit right, confused. Help!

blueblazer5_3
07-01-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a 2007 Trailblazer 5.3 I have the vehicle for about 7 months now. Suddenly, I started noticing that I get wind noise around the door seal and the gap between the driver and passenger doors is HUGE!!! I can't even get my finger in between the passenger side and the driver side I can get my whole finger in there!!!

I have towed with the vehicle recently. I towed my Thunderbird about 230 miles and had no problem, The only thing I can think of is when loading the car on the trailer, could I have bent the frame???? I am stumped as why now, I have a gap.

The door also "SLAPS" when closing it now, which I associate with the gap problem.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!

Don

gmcman
07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Is the door moved forward or not closing all the way? I wouldn't even consider your frame is twisted...these things are over-built in that department. Can you take a pic straight on at the rear and front of the door and along the left side looking forward...sounds like your striker is out of whack or your door latch.

gmsuv
07-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Check to see if the door hinge weld is cracked. Sometimes that happens or the door was over extended when opened and cause the hinge to be pulled out of alignment.

RayVoy
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a 2007 Trailblazer 5.3 I have the vehicle for about 7 months now. Suddenly, I started noticing that I get wind noise around the door seal and the gap between the driver and passenger doors is HUGE!!! I can't even get my finger in between the passenger side and the driver side I can get my whole finger in there!!!
Don, take it to the dealer. :thumbsup:

blueblazer5_3
07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I noticed that the door when looking at the car from behind is actually not aligning with the back door. It actually sticks out about 1/4" past the back door and the top is way out. Wind noise is horrible.

Going to the dealer hopefully tomorrow.

Don

althoff2004
01-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I noticed that the door when looking at the car from behind is actually not aligning with the back door. It actually sticks out about 1/4" past the back door and the top is way out. Wind noise is horrible.

Going to the dealer hopefully tomorrow.

Don

Did you ever fix this? I have the exact same problem and I'm sick of the noise.:mad: What did they charge you to fix this by the way?
Thanks,
Nick

RayVoy
01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
He would have had his fixed under warranty (an 07 in 07). The body shop would have adjusted the door, remember, his did not align.

If yours does not align, it needs the hinges, and/or the latch adjusted.

If the door does align, and the rubber is in good shape, clean the rubber and wipe with some rubber rejuvenatory.

althoff2004
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
He would have had his fixed under warranty (an 07 in 07). The body shop would have adjusted the door, remember, his did not align.

If yours does not align, it needs the hinges, and/or the latch adjusted.

If the door does align, and the rubber is in good shape, clean the rubber and wipe with some rubber rejuvenatory.

Thank You Ray. I hope it doesn't cost much to do alignment because my door is off quite a bit. Thanks again have a great day!

RayVoy
01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
As long as the door is not (or was not) damaged in an old accident, the adjustment is easy (should be affordable), damage can be an expensive fix.

cube21
01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
My passenger side front door is having a similar issue. Wind noise above 60 is intense. At first I thought I would just do the wind noise mod and fix it that way, but then I took a closer look at the door and found its not closing as tight as it should be. The drive side is fine and I never hear any noise from it, but....here some pics.

This one is the driver side, showing that its flush with the rear door.
http://i49.tinypic.com/ra8f7n.jpg

this one is taken on the passenger side from the same angle, and you can see the front door sticks out about 3/16" from the rear door.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2vxoz61.jpg

From the inside, I can gently push on the door and actually see out through the crack. So...I need to go get something adjusted? Do you know what I need to specifically ask for in order to get this door to shut tighter?

And is there a way to adjust it without a mechanic?...Im sure it will be much cheaper to do it myself, anyone know what to do?

Any help is appreciated. thanks
-CUBE-

the roadie
02-01-2010, 01:06 AM
The lock striker plate adjusts on almost all vehicles I know about. Just loosen the bolts and slightly move the striker plate, then tighten them again. Torque spec is 18 ft/pounds, so don't honk on them too hard.

cube21
02-01-2010, 02:04 AM
The lock striker plate adjusts on almost all vehicles I know about. Just loosen the bolts and slightly move the striker plate, then tighten them again. Torque spec is 18 ft/pounds, so don't honk on them too hard.

I did a little googling and...
is the striker plate the metal U thing connected to the door frame? Im assumming I can lossen that and move it in towards the middle of the car which will force the door to shut tighter before it latches...
lmk if Im right, that sounds simple enough.

thanks.
-CUBE-

cube21
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
yes??
I think Im gonna go ahead and try that and hope thats why roadie meant.
If Im wrong...Ill let you know.

-CUBE-

cube21
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
well.. that was a fail.
I loosened the "striker plate" and tried to move it to the inside but it wont budge at all...didnt move any in any direction...Im a little scared to take the bolts all the way out because it looks like theres a plate behind it that will fall. Im gonna restart this thread to get more help.

-CUBE-

the roadie
02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Ahhhh, never take the bolts out. That would be bad. Just bring a small hammer next time. The plate is almost always slightly stuck to the door jamb.

cube21
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
now i got two threads goin :-X oooopps.

ok...so loosen the two "star" bolts on the stike plate...then hammer the plate to the inside?
Cuz it didnt seem to me like that plate was going to go anyway, plus the bolts are already almost all the way to the inside of the hole they fit through.
So, would you say Im wrong and I should try again with a hammer? lol

-CUBE-

the roadie
02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Ahhh, if you can see the bolt holes and they're already out of adjustment range, you might have to drill or file them larger to get more movement out of them. I've never done that on the trailvoys.

lint
02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Are you sure the striker plate is not to far in and the door is not double latching ,,just a thought..

Sometimes if the door is not lining up just so it will not latch all the way too

cube21
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Ahhh, if you can see the bolt holes and they're already out of adjustment range, you might have to drill or file them larger to get more movement out of them. I've never done that on the trailvoys.

That was my first thought. But I want to be totally sure before I go cuttin parts out of my car. I need a more professional opinion on this.

Are you sure the striker plate is not to far in and the door is not double latching ,,just a thought..

Sometimes if the door is not lining up just so it will not latch all the way too

the door is perfectly aligned vertically and horizontally (as far as I can tell), its just the tightness thats the problem.
I have no idea what the "double latch" thing is...so...no. Im not sure thats not whats happenning? Care to elaborate?

-CUBE-

lint
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
All car doors have a double latch for safety i guess,,,, just push any car door in slow and it will latch ,one click. and if you push a little more it will click again ,try it with a good door on any car,,sometime if the door doesn't line up just so,or the striker is to far in it will not double latch,but like I said dont dent the doors buy pushing to hard,If someone on here knows what I'm talking about maybe you can explain it better,my back shot is kicking in for pain and not focusing to well,,LOL

and did you check the hinges to see it there good,, open the door a little and lift up on the bottom of the door to see if there is ant play in the hinges ,they should be tight...sorry if someone said this already..

You see people riding around all the time with there doors not latched all the way

Sorry,,, and when you go to shut the door make sure that when the latch just touches the striker plate ,the door doesn't move up or down a little.it needs to line up perfect

cube21
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
ok that makes sense. I just checked it. driver door latches twice. second click brings it really tight. passenger door latches twice also, second click is happening too far out so its not tight at the second latch.
looks like my problem is definately that stike plate, just gotta figure out how to adjust it.

-CUBE-

lint
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Yea I agree, did you check the door latch itself to see if it is tight,and sometimes you can move it a little too i think there is 3 hex head screws on it... What happened was it in a wreck or they just get worse over time?

cube21
02-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Haha. Nooo. no wrecks. its been like that since I bought it but I never noticed it until I went 75mph and the wind noise overpowered my screams to my girlfriend next to me lol

will the latch on the door itself adjust in the same manner if I just loosen it and move it outward?

-CUBE-

lint
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
No ,not really but sometimes you can get just a small little bit but not enough to get that tight, Yea I was auto body man for 30 years ,,

if you know one not the dealer ,,take it to him and ask him what he thinks is wrong ,,if it was in a wreck or what,, and ask him for a price to fix it ,,ofcorce you don't have the money now to fix it but he might tell you whats wrong so you can do it your self,because they have to tell you whats wrong .

cube21
02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
It wasnt in a wreck. We carfaxed it before we bought it.
Somehow its just loosed up due to age or...maybe aggressive driving :P

thanks for the help, once I get it fixed ill let you know how I got it.

-CUBE-

hp_2002grad
04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Hey CUBE21,

Did you ever get your door fixed? Mine is having the same problem (drivers door) and wanted to know what course of action you took to get it solved. I noticed that if i push on the door a little when already closed, it seems to close tighter.

Thanks,
HP