Stalling Trailblazer [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Stalling Trailblazer

SoundMan66
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
I've got an 03' that's been stalling at stops intermittently for about a year. Got 94,000 miles, and I've changed fuel filters, cleaned the throttle body, yada, yada, yada...

They changed the camshaft positioner twice, before deciding to clean the sensor and that seemed to help. But, it's still stalling, and I'm getting various camshaft and crankshaft SES lights.

Now they are recommending an adjustment to the camshaft actuator, gonna be a $900 swing at the problem. Does anyone here think this is worth doing?

Any other ideas?

SoundMan

RayVoy
07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey soundman, welcome to the site. Toss some of those codes at us and I am sure some one on here will get u looking in the right place.

KNBlazer
07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
first off I have no idea but what I do know is you should fill in your TB's information so that the knowledgeable members may assist you ...

gmcman
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Among other things that will be mentioned, hook up a vacuum gauge and tell us what the reading is and if the needle is steady. Does is sputter for a few moments before it stalls or is it sudden?

SoundMan66
07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Information updated.

That's the problem, it runs fine anytime other than when it stalls. When it happens, I just shut the key off and turn it back on. It runs like it was new. They've had it hooked to the machine a few times, and nothing shows up.

Oh yeah, usually before it dies, the tach bounces a bit. Drops down to a few hundred RPMs, then back up to 2,000 or so.

SoundMan

PROSPHOTO
07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
DO you have a Chevy dealer doing the work, or a different shop? Has the PCM been updated with the most current software?

SoundMan66
07-12-2007, 10:47 PM
It's a GMC dealer that does all the service work for my vehicles. They told me the code was updated when they replaced the camshaft positioner.

SoundMan

PROSPHOTO
07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
The GMC dealer should be standing behind their work (especially since you're a repeat service customer) :yes:
They are the professionals that should know how to fix your truck right the first time; I would talk to the service manager 7/or dealer owner/general manager about getting them to fix this problem (that they supposedly fixed numerous times) without any additional charge to you.
Sounds like you're a victim of a couple of non-quality repairs at this dealer.

KNBlazer
07-12-2007, 11:03 PM
replace the PCM is what they should do .... what else is left if they already replaced the sensors..

gmcman
07-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Do these engines have IAC valves? How is idle controlled? If there is an IAC valve sounds like it could be all gummed up.

PROSPHOTO
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Do these engines have IAC valves? How is idle controlled? If there is an IAC valve sounds like it could be all gummed up.

No IACs...the motor that controls the throttle blade takes the place of this.
So, if the throttle body is clean, that is no longer the issue :D

Coach Steve
07-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Hey Soundman - welcome to the site. Lots and lots of great info from some terrific people hereabouts.

When your truck hiccups, does either the SES or the Reduced Engine Power light come on? Even for just a second?

gmcman
07-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Probably not related...I haven't gazed into my TB yet other than to spray it, but is there a set screw of some type that allows for a minimum closing? Reason I ask is a buddy of mine had an intermittent stalling issue with his crustang years ago and we adjusted that little booger just a tad and never had another problem. Just a thought.

PROSPHOTO
07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Probably not related...I haven't gazed into my TB yet other than to spray it, but is there a set screw of some type that allows for a minimum closing? Reason I ask is a buddy of mine had an intermittent stalling issue with his crustang years ago and we adjusted that little booger just a tad and never had another problem. Just a thought.

Non adjustable on the TB...the idele is completely computer controlled on these :D

BTW...I like the nickname :yes:

gdewit79
07-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Mine just did this this morning! I managed to get it coasted off the road, the reduced power light was on. I turned the key off, turned it over again. It took a few cranks and finally started up.

ca2kjet
07-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I've had my truck stall on occasion. It's not common but it's been doing it at least once every year it seems. The engine dies out, I turn the key off, turn it back on and it runs like it always does. It's weird, I just hope it never stalls in the worst possible place... (first time was pulling out of a parking space, second was when I was about to pull out onto a highway) :worried:

When I mentioned this phenomena to a trusted mechanic he said it's possible that overtime a small amount of moisture can build up in the gas tank and if our engines are sensitive to it, that can cause the stall.

bobbym
07-31-2007, 03:19 AM
I'm having the same problem with stalling/hesitation. It's normally when I give the gas pedal a light push. I think the idle is set too low - it sits around 400-500 rpm, but sometimes dips (for no reason) to 300. Turning the A/C on aggravates the problem. That's when I've experienced the stalls.

Can the computer be reprogrammed to increase the idle speed? I'm an amateur at car repair, but I think my best bet may be with a performance upgrade.

NORTHFACETB
10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Mine just started doing this after replacing the battery.

white97lx
10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with stalling/hesitation. It's normally when I give the gas pedal a light push. I think the idle is set too low - it sits around 400-500 rpm, but sometimes dips (for no reason) to 300. Turning the A/C on aggravates the problem. That's when I've experienced the stalls.

Can the computer be reprogrammed to increase the idle speed? I'm an amateur at car repair, but I think my best bet may be with a performance upgrade.

Not sure on the trailblazer but on my 97 thunderbird I can adjust idle in park and drive so I would have to assume they can adjust these through programming in the PCM

GunRu
10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Just talked about cleaning the throttle body, dirty one will stall on ya or shake. u should look into it. do it yourself save $$$.

Nomad
11-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Mine has done this several times over the years. All but one time was when I was stopped or just leaving from a stop, such as waiting to pull out of a parking lot or waiting for a light. When the rpms drop, I can goose the throttle a little bit and it's usually fine. If it dies, it's the same story...turn it off, back on, it restarts like new and I don't ever have any trouble for another few thousand miles. No unusual lights before, during, or after the stall. I last changed my fuel filter about 16-18000 miles ago and haven't had it happen since (that I remember), but that may not be related. I mentioned it to the guys at the dealership service department and they said that unless they could replicate it, they couldn't help. This sounds pretty common, so you'd think they'd know more about it. I just gave up on it. I've never had it put me in a dangerous situation.

Chris11882
11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I had the issue go away for a couple months after cleaning the throttle body. Had it idleing at a steady 600 RPM. Just had it stall again, and it did it when something A/C related kicked on (compressor?) Sometimes it gets a little hiccup and drops a bit then ramps up to about 1200-1500 RPMs, each time when the A/C whatever kicks on. Not losing any sleep over it, but if I fix is ever out there, it would be nice.

Lu-Cifer
11-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Same happens to me, usually when i'm reversing out of a parking stop, or stopped at a light. The a/c on full blast makes it worse also.

cgallo
12-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi to al, I rode the messages, I think, it is a good idea down the fuel tank and check the fuel filter pump inside the tank and blow the gasoline tubes.

if it is ok, check the fuel pressure with a gauge and look whts happening with that when the event ocurrs.

Cesar Gallo

gearjamminjake
12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
i had this same thing happen to me. all i did was pour some sea foam in the gas tank and it cured the problem. no more stalls no more rough idling. that was about 6 months ago and just now im noticing the rough idle coming back so im gonna give it another dose of sea foam.:yes:

lfb57
12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
My brother has an '02 Chevy 1/2 ton that he bought new. He had intermittant stalling problems for several years much like folks here describe. Here's what he did mostly by himself to finally solve the problem.

plugs, wires, MAF cleaning, decarbonize head, fuel injector cleaning additive, Idle Air Controller, throttle body cleanings, fuel filters, four O2 Sensors, PCV Valve, Fuel Pump, and most recently, the Fuel Regulator (that was it).