Whining noise [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Whining noise

jjl1298
07-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Has anyone had a whining noise in there engine. I have a 06' TB,4.2 I6 and when ever i accelrate (or even at idle) i hear a whine noise. Now i think its always had light whine, but lately (especially today) its alot louder. Im thinking maybe water pump/fan clutch or belts. Any ideas?

lightguypro
07-27-2007, 02:44 AM
i had the same problem..kinda sounds like a super charger..do a search under that name.
dealer had my tb for a week....they said its normal

i beleive the name of the thread is supercharger noise

trailblazingold
07-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Sure you didn't run over a kid? Usually when that happens they get trapped and scream or whine.

ieatglue
07-27-2007, 03:43 AM
It could be your power steering pump. Here's a thread on it...

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=9172&highlight=whining+noise

benstep11
07-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Sure you didn't run over a kid? Usually when that happens they get trapped and scream or whine.

Yeah! I hate it when that happens!!
:crazy: :D

PROSPHOTO
07-27-2007, 08:35 AM
My guess (without hearing it) is the power steering system :yes:

If you can hear it at an idle, open up the reservoir & see if you hear the noise increase slightly (from the pump)

...thanks for the link Glue :D

Keep in mind...if there is a failure in the pump, it's a good idea to make sure the system is flushed when replaced (to get any debris out of the lines)

Also...there are a few bulletins on this year pertaining to a whine noise coming from the transmission :undecided so it definitely needs to be isolated

Pghguy
07-27-2007, 08:53 AM
HA! Someone beat me to the post! :laugh: I was actually going to post about a slight whining sound myself. It's real faint, but I definitely think its from the transmission. I hear it at idle and when I accelerate. Again, its faint, but somewhat noticeable. 99% sure its not the power steering either since I've had a couple of cars that ended up having bad pumps.

I remember the last new vehicle I bought was a 1991 S-10 and one of the tranny pumps went bad after like 3 months. I would swear its almost identical in sound, but, since I have such a bad memory, comparing this sound to one I heard 17 years ago is damn near impossible, especially since I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday! :crazy:

jjl1298
07-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, found the problem, Went to the dealer and they had it all day long. It was the idler pulley. Once it was replaced-the whining sound was gone. It did resemble a power steering pump problem-which was the first thing i checked and it was fine. Thanks for the responses

ieatglue
07-29-2007, 07:16 PM
That would have been my second guess :D

rsnow46
08-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, found the problem, Went to the dealer and they had it all day long. It was the idler pulley. Once it was replaced-the whining sound was gone. It did resemble a power steering pump problem-which was the first thing i checked and it was fine. Thanks for the responses

I had the same deal, worn idler pulley, '06, 38k. They also found a kid, but he jumped out and ran away before they could ask him his name. Probably the neighbor's. I coulda' sworn I missed him when I backed out.

carp
08-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Mine does it too, has since I bought it almost a year ago. The bearings in the idler puller are to blame. Mine seems tight though without play. Will these things eventually lock up and throw the belt?

benstep11
08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
...but he jumped out and ran away before they could ask him his name...

At least the dealer didn't charge for the removal. I've heard uninstalling a child can be pretty pricey.

:)

JeremyM
04-15-2008, 02:28 PM
:hijacked

Mine does the same..2005 TB LS with about 43k on it. Definitely coming from the engine area and is associated with RPM. Whether rolling or not, in gear or park or nuetral, gets higher and louder as I increase RPM's.

Any ideas? It's been like this for a while now..since I started using 4wd this winter.

I was thinking it was the power steering pump..but not sure. Just thought that because you know, Ford's, how they have that high pitch sound when turning the wheel...then again, maybe that's just shotty engineering on Ford's part - ya think?

MountainTblazer
04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
:hijacked

Mine does the same..2005 TB LS with about 43k on it. Definitely coming from the engine area and is associated with RPM. Whether rolling or not, in gear or park or nuetral, gets higher and louder as I increase RPM's.

Any ideas? It's been like this for a while now..since I started using 4wd this winter.

I was thinking it was the power steering pump..but not sure. Just thought that because you know, Ford's, how they have that high pitch sound when turning the wheel...then again, maybe that's just shotty engineering on Ford's part - ya think?

Jeremy, check your idler pulley as mentioned a few posts up in this thread. I just bought a 05 EXT this weekend and the place I purchased it from replaced the alternator for a similar noise - and it ended up being just the small, black plastic pulley that is being described in this thread. $400 part down to a $30 part. The dealership was happy!

BMartin01
04-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I have an 05 with 37,000 miles on it and had the same noise. The dealer replaced the bottom idler pully at no charge. But if you don't have a dealership as kind as I do, autozone does sell the pulley. I think it was around $20 to $30, don't quote me on that.

POWERFREAK
04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I had the same issue a few weeks ago...it was the Idler pulley...(replaced it with a goodyear brand pulley, actually made in the USA:eek:)...I replaced the belt while I was at it (with a goodyear gatorback) since the stock belt has always been a little squeaky...now it's nice and quiet, better than new. Ordered both from Advance...$50.:thumbsup: Can't complain, other than the fact that it happened a few weeks after my factory warranty ran out...:duh:, but at least I don't have to make a trip to the dealer.:woohoo:

saad
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
hehe , I get used with this sound clip noise:D
when i bought the new Tb 2006 until now the same noise generated..
does it harm the engine?

your friend: Saad from Saudi Arabia

Audiojunky
05-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Can someone post a pic of the idler that is being replaced? I have had the same noise for about a year and it is driving me nuts. :bonk:

RayVoy
05-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Can someone post a pic of the idler that is being replaced? I have had the same noise for about a year and it is driving me nuts. :bonk:Sorry no pic, the idler pulley is below the alternator or the left side (your right when facing engine) of engine. There is also a belt tensioner, with a pulley. Both of these are a very common failure problem on GM engines. The noise is from the bearing and usually when the bearing fails, the pulley will come apart and the belt will pop off.
I have the described noise as well and thought it was the idler (I tested by removing the belt and checking the pulley for wobble and rough spin). Mine didn't wobble, but there was some roughness. Changed it yesterday, about $25, but sadly, noise is still there. I think it may be the alternator. Sometimes u can pinpoint the noise by holding a wooden dowel against the item and cupping the other end in your hand and against your ear (acts like a stethoscope). Haven't had time to try this, will keep u updated.

MountainTblazer
05-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Can someone post a pic of the idler that is being replaced? I have had the same noise for about a year and it is driving me nuts. :bonk:

Here is a pic under my hood - my idler pulley has all of a weeks worth of use on it. Prior to its install this thing screamed like a stuck pig.....now smooth and clean and no caffeine!

http://jbauer.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p139345225-4.jpg

It's the middle pulley from the top - the black plastic one with the rounded edges. Hope that helps someone.

john_danielson
05-08-2008, 12:26 PM
I had the same issue. The whinning started about 2 weeks agi. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the bearing for the idler pulley. Cost $140 with parts and labor.

petevw
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Cost $140 with parts and labor.

YIKES! :eek:

MountainTblazer
05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I had the same issue. The whinning started about 2 weeks agi. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the bearing for the idler pulley. Cost $140 with parts and labor.

Sounds like the mechanic took his time.........:hopeless The part is about $25.

POWERFREAK
05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Sounds like the mechanic took his time.........:hopeless The part is about $25.

yeah, and a maybe a whole 10 minutes of labor.

Prey521
05-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Had the same issue a few months back...was indeed the idley pulley. Dealer lubed it up and it's been nice and quiet ever since. Warranty work FTW! :D

TomCT1966
07-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Whining issue here, appears to be the AC pulley / clutch.
When I have the car running without AC it whines like my ex-wife.

When I engage my AC, whining stops.

Appears when the clutch is engaged with the AC pulley, no whine, when its off and the pulley runs free the whining starts again.

Anyone know of anything that can be done to at least stop the whine until the AC compressor kicks altogether?

Hardly use the AC, mostly to defog/frost the windshield.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adamstype338
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
i have a whine also. but i noticed that my voltage drops also. far enough that the motor stumbles.oh course you give it gas and clears up... any thing yall can think of...

TomCT1966
07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
For anyone who cares, I ended up taking it to the dealer.

Have an extended warranty on it but wasn't sure what was and wasn't covered. Luckily its GMPP and it covered what needed to be done.

They replaced the AC Compressor, then under load, they discovered that the Alternator was making noise so they swapped that out too. Along with that they noticed the idler pulley was loose so they swapped that out too.

No more whine, cost me the deductible on my warranty so all that changed for $106 bucks.

I usually eat my extended warranties because everything usually breaks before I use them, so lucky, or not it worked out for me this time, I guess.

guccidustin
08-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Here is a pic under my hood - my idler pulley has all of a weeks worth of use on it. Prior to its install this thing screamed like a stuck pig.....now smooth and clean and no caffeine!

http://jbauer.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p139345225-4.jpg

It's the middle pulley from the top - the black plastic one with the rounded edges. Hope that helps someone.

haha wow, so many posts, so many exact same issue, got a 04 ext, and SAME thing, thanks for the pic!! Gonna get a new pulley and get it thrown on, hopefully fix it, it sure is annoying,

85vette
08-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Of course the whining stops when you engage the AC, every body's cool then.....:raspberry

ronnie6398
08-03-2008, 11:54 PM
i got a 08 trailblazer with about 4000 miles and a punch the accelerter mine wines in does sound like a supercharger but if thats same problem ur having u should be fine...........:)

searay220
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
:duh:I'm getting that whine noise when turning only. Does that say it is the power steering pump or could it still be the idler pulley??????

harvman77
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Has anyone had a whining noise in there engine. I have a 06' TB,4.2 I6 and when ever i accelrate (or even at idle) i hear a whine noise. Now i think its always had light whine, but lately (especially today) its alot louder. Im thinking maybe water pump/fan clutch or belts. Any ideas?

it should be the tension pulley. 30 minutes of labor and $39 part. $100 total fix.

MrsBee
11-23-2010, 06:32 PM
My 2006 chevy trailblazer was making a whining noise when ever the car was on and not moving and got louder as I accelerated I thought it was the alternator and I would have to have it replaced but I took it into auto zone and they tested my alternator and it was reading good! so I did some research online and I found out it was the idler pulley I took it into a mechanic the next day and he confirmed it was in fact the idler pulley. The part was $16 at auto zone and $50 to install and in less than 15 mins it was ready. The mechanic said its normal for these to go out on these model cars so it was replaced and I don't hear that annoying noise anymore. :)

wcrstereo
11-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I have replaced all three alternator first and i still have the whine. Is there any thing else or could the alternator be the problem again ?

MrsBee
11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I have replaced all three alternator first and i still have the whine. Is there any thing else or could the alternator be the problem again ?

your best thing to do now is take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose the sound. have you changed the tension pulley yet? and another thing it could possibly be is your power steering! hope this helps

Topher
01-04-2011, 09:39 AM

your best thing to do now is take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose the sound. have you changed the tension pulley yet? and another thing it could possibly be is your power steering! hope this helps

A good basic check is to take the serpentine belt off and run the engine. If the noise is still there it's nothing connected via the serpentine belt (think transmission). If the noise goes away, it is for sure something run by the serpentine belt.

And yes, it could be the power steering pump. If the fluid has never been changed and the noise is mostly when it is cold outside, then you can switch to a "cold weather" fluid (available at the dealership). Flush out the old while filling with the new.