07 5.3 owners - about the oil filters [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 07 5.3 owners - about the oil filters

TheWraith
08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
hopefully this isn't a repost, I can't see how it wouldn't have come up at some point yet, since there are a slew of people with 07's a lot longer than a couple months, but i did a quick search and didn't find anything.

This might also be an issue for TB SS owners, maybe even the I6 guys too, but I'll post it here, since I know for a fact it affects 07 5.3's.

I just changed the oil for the first time in my 07 5.3 tb, and when I picked up the oil filter, the book they had wasn't new enough, so I grabbed the 06 listing, which was a delco PF46. Well I pull the original one off the truck and it's a PF48. And the 46 doesn't screw on. The size of the threaded hole seems to be slightly different. So I quick rush to another auto parts store, and I notice that they don't carry the delco 48 at all. The first place I'm 99% sure didn't have it eithe, I vaguely remember it skipping from 46 into the 50's. I ask at the counter and the only filter in the computer at all they had for the truck was an STP 10060.

Not the end of the world, but I thought it would be an appropriate "heads up" for other owners, since that's not something I've ever seen before. I honestly would have figured that pretty much every LS* family engine would use the same filter, or at least the same threads.

I also did a little further research, and found that autozone.com only had the STP 10060 listed. Parts america.com (aka advance auto) had no listings for the truck :eek: rockauto.com has the delcos for a really good price though.

bartonmd
08-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I went through this a couple weeks ago at the 500 mile oil change, and went through it again to get the filter for the 3000 miles OC...

Turns out that all of the '07 Gen 4 small blocks (4.8, 5.3, 6.0) have all gone away from the high-pressure filter bypass in the engine and moved it to the filter. This way, every time the filter is replaced, the engine gets a brand new bypass valve.

They don't have the Pure 1 PL12222 for it on the shelves yet, but they do have the P12222 Purolator, and the PF-48. I have been using the M1-113 Mobil 1 filter because even though it's double the cost, it's the only one that I can find for the '07 with the synthetic blend filter media, like the Pure 1 has...

Mike

TheWraith
08-07-2007, 08:15 AM
if you want another alternative for a quality filter

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-1017

i've heard excellent things about the k & n filters for a higher-end filter, and they aren't too badly priced on amazon.com (oddly enough).

turbomike
08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Go with a M1-206 it's a little longer than the 113 and still clears crossmember.

bartonmd
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Go with a M1-206 it's a little longer than the 113 and still clears crossmember.

Is that what you use?

I ask because you have an '05, and they changed the filters in '07.

Thanks,
Mike

rbarrios
08-07-2007, 04:14 PM
its also gone from SAE to metric

rbarrios
08-07-2007, 04:15 PM
found 2 post on another web site... heres what they say....
The 07 Classics as well as the NBS 07 Silverados( all V8 engines = 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L )all take that new filter. It is not the same as the earlier filters and will not fit as you discovered. While the overall size is the same the new filter uses metric threads( 22X1.5 MM ). The old ones used SAE threads( 13/16-16 ). Many parts stores do not even have the application listings yet or if they do show it they don't stock them yet. Filter was 1st used in 06 on the Z06 Vette( possibly others? )and is now used on most 07 vehiles

The previous filters were the long PF61( 02 and earlier )and the short PF46( 03-06 )for the Silverado V8's. The PF46 is the same basic filter as the PF61 just shorter( approx 3.5" tall )with a higher burst rating and slightly better filtration rate. The PF46 filter runs through 06 for the V8 Silverados. The PF46 and PF61 are interchangeable room permitting.

The new filter used starting wiith 07 Classics on the V8 trucks is a PF48. It is the same approx size as the PF46. I do not know if there is a long version of this filter? I do not believe there is though as this filter is used everywhere including the Vette. There just is no new long filter that I know of that has the proper spec's and metric thread?

Car mfg's are trying to stream line and make fewer filters so this one is being used a LOT. They are dropping the PF46 because they now have this new one( PF48 - of course why not just keep using the PF46 as it is the exact same size ). You would have to check stats( ie; thread, seal diameter, burst pressure, etc... )and see if you could find a long one. All the 07 V8 "gas" Silverado's( 1/2 tons & HD's and 4.8L/5.3L/6.0L )take this filter.

Here is a list of the part #'s for the new filter that I can find( FYI - not all mfg's even have it yet ). Obviously it is not all of them. Just the ones I know of at this time...

AC - PF48
K&N - HP-1017
Mobil1 - M1-113*
Wix - 57060
Napa Gold - 7060( relabeled Wix )
Baldwin - B160
Hastings - LF613
Purolator Premium Plus - L12222
Purolator Pure One - PL12222
Fram - PH10060**
STP - S10060**
Champ - PH48
SuperTech(Wal-Mart) - ST10060**
Penzoil - PZ167**
Carquest - 84060

* - the Mobil 1 site does not show a filter for this application/equivelant to PF48. I found this filter being shown by application on another site and when entered at various filter sites it does cross to the PF48 filter line for that mfg.

** - I DO NOT personally recommend Fram, or Fram made, filters. The #'s are here simply for reference.

and the 2nd post says
AC Delco introduces the next generation of DuraguardŽ oil filters. This advanced filter technology allows the filter to function better while being lighter and more easily recycled. The oil filter redesign will be a rolling change with no price impact. An improved nylon core provides more open area in the core, yielding more filtering area for improved flow in a smaller canister, while maintaining the same capacity as the larger canister. Increased efficiency, higher collapse strength, and higher burst strength are the result of a roll seam design. The redesigned concave base plate allows for the accommodation of the combination relief and anti-drain back valve, while incorporating a raised threaded flange. Four new filter sizes cover the redesigned part numbers

TheWraith
08-07-2007, 06:39 PM
great information, and thanks for all the cross ref part numbers. saves me a ton of research.

ktm
04-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I would remove all those fram numbers, none of them fit my 07 Denali! Third times a charm, I'm done with them.

FKNFSTC6
04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I only use WIX or NAPA Gold (made by WIX) in all my rides :)