Bird Chirping Sound When Driving? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Bird Chirping Sound When Driving?

robenvoy03
08-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I WAS DRIVING YESTERDAY WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN AND EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE IT SOUNDS LIKE A BIRD IS CHIRPING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRUCK BUT WHILE DRIVING...THERE ARE NO SPECIFIC TIMES WHEN THIS HAPPENS...HAS ANYONE HEARD THIS BEFORE OR SOME NOISE LIKE IT? I HAVE AN 03 ENVOY XL........ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP

THANK YOU
ROBENVOY03:thx

whiskey617
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Do a search on engine chirping... 99% of the time its your AC compressor engaging and disengaging. :thumbsup:

turbomike
08-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Apply white grease to your hood latch.

Fudge
02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I think I have a squirrel under my hood. Tried the 'belt dressing' and it initially went away (for like 20 secs) then came back. It hasn't left yet. Took it to the dealer and the service guy came out, sprayed some rust chek on the belt/pulley and it did the same thing; went away and then came back. I was concerned it was a bearing gone bad in one of the pulley's but the tech said it wasn't that but rather I needed a new belt. Does this sound right to you guys? I sure would like to pop a cap in that squirrel! lol.

lhassebrock
02-11-2008, 08:59 PM
If it seems to happen when you are going over small bumps check your hood stops. They screw in and out to press tight against the hood. Sometimes the squeaking might be created by the hood stops rubbing against the underside of the hood. A little dab of lithium grease will cure that. If it's engine related, I don't know what to tell you...but good luck.

Fudge
02-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Picked up the new serpentine belt yesterday and took the old one off last night, as per the EASY instructions found here. However the old one was shorter then the new one so I assume they gave me the wrong belt. Since I had the belt off anyhow, I did as some of the guys here suggested; spin each pulley by had, noting any squeaks or noise. All the pulleys worked fine except for the altenator pulley which made a consistent, small squeak. I'm bringing the Voy in today to replace the Idler pulley, get the correct belt, and have them replace (I hope under warranty!) the altenator. Hopefully that will put to rest that damn squirrel that's been chattering away under the hood!!

Fudge
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Just a note: had the Voy in to the stealership today. They replaced the idler pully assembly but still made the noise. New belt put on and the noise was gone. They left the new idler pulley on and made note of the squeak from the altenator, in case it gives me grief later. So, just a belt. Guess they were right at the stealership, Ok the dealership (they earned it THIS time). Hope this helps someone else.:undecided

03GMC
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Going in for the same thing tonight. Hope thats all mine is too. Was your squeal just until you got it warmed up? Mine is. Thanks for all the helpful tidd-bits..

Fudge
02-26-2008, 07:02 PM
No, mine was all the time. Initially it wasn't as bad, just a chirp every now and again. A thing to try would be to put a little water on the belt when the engine is running; if the noise goes away it's probably your belt. Keep me posted on how you made out. Cheers.:undecided

db131994
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
I have an '05 TB and I have the chirp issue as well. It only does it under a load and not in park / idleing. So, I'm thinking it is engine related. Sometimes I get an indication of a stumble when I hear the noise, but not for sure. The post about the AC engaging / dis-engaging makes some sense with the ~minute cycle time of the sound... Any other people experience this?

slimfast
09-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Mine chirps a little here and there, but I think it's the brakes or something. I get a little crazy here and there, and rough up the old TB, I think the brakes are slightly rubbing. It happened ever since I almost flipped it, but it has almost gone away with the wear of the brakes.

quadhauler
12-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Maybe this will help someone. I put a waterpump on mine and then it began to squeak. Took the belt off to inspect the new pump and found the tensioner pulley made the sqeaking that I thought I was hearing. You know, without load it would be a tiny sqeak. Anyway, I had some fun issues with the pump and the thermostat housing and I replaced the tensioner for $68 in the process. Squeak was still there. So, the moral of the story is and if the belt is worn (mine was not) or gets that nasty Dexcool on it, it's gonna squeak until it gets worn clean. Silicone spray on the belt is just a temporary fix.... as in seconds.

So, if you want to know, what was my deal with the housing and the pump? Either the pump housing was tweaked a bit due the crushing of the box, or there has been a revised thermostat housing. My thermostat was recessed with a thick seal around the 'stat. The pump came with a huge o-ring that would not fit my 'stat housing as it does not a machined groove there for it. So, I had to end up using silicone along with the new t-stat seal and stat I installed on the day 2 or 3. Yes, get a t-stat while you're doing this!!!

MAY03LT
12-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Silicone spray on the belt is just a temporary fix.... as in seconds.

I would consider it a diagnostic aide:)

tad1214
12-16-2008, 06:30 PM
belt dressing was more geared for V-Belts and somehow it got turned into the dealership fix-it-so-we-can-get-them-out-of-the-door-i-dont-care-if-it-is-really-fixed fix.

TBUAV
05-14-2010, 03:45 PM
i got chirping whenever it is wet out and cold, i spun the pullys and the altenator chirps and is hard to turn. but charges the truck just fine, any suggestions so that i dont have to replace it??

lancour4
05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
mine is squealing only while accelerating. it just started happening and got really bad in a day. if not accelerating it also squeaks while turning and the food off the accelerator. I'm assuming it is just the belt, but any insight would be great.

P.S. it was terrible yesterday and not very noticeable today.

wardak33
05-16-2010, 01:28 PM
mine is squealing only while accelerating. it just started happening and got really bad in a day. if not accelerating it also squeaks while turning and the food off the accelerator. I'm assuming it is just the belt, but any insight would be great.

P.S. it was terrible yesterday and not very noticeable today.

Is it like a whistling noise/air tool noise as well?

Had and still have the same symptoms, But i noticed mine was coming from underneath the truck, more specifically the transfer case. When i took a closer look at it, to my guess it was the encoder motor on the t-case. Will check it out today and confirm in a bit.

lancour4
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Is it like a whistling noise/air tool noise as well?

Had and still have the same symptoms, But i noticed mine was coming from underneath the truck, more specifically the transfer case. When i took a closer look at it, to my guess it was the encoder motor on the t-case. Will check it out today and confirm in a bit.

no, it sounds like a belt that is about to go. just a squealing. but it hasn't been there for a few days now, which i find odd. everything seems to be working great. im hoping that it was just something that got on the belt. but i may be wrong.

Tarnished
05-19-2010, 11:31 PM
no, it sounds like a belt that is about to go. just a squealing. but it hasn't been there for a few days now, which i find odd. everything seems to be working great. im hoping that it was just something that got on the belt. but i may be wrong.

Mine has a slight, subtle liquid bird-like chirp occasionally.. and I usually hear it whilst driving slow in a parking lot, turning and then straightening my steering wheel while the windows were open. It turned out to be my rack and pinion operating.

cmatt
05-20-2010, 12:17 AM
When you say it was your rack and pinion operating, what specifically do you mean? Were you able to get it fixed?

Tarnished
05-20-2010, 10:51 PM
When you say it was your rack and pinion operating, what specifically do you mean? Were you able to get it fixed?

It was the sound of the fluid in the operation of the rack and pinion. There wasn't anything to fix.

BossBlazer
05-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I have an '05 TB and I have the chirp issue as well. It only does it under a load and not in park / idleing. So, I'm thinking it is engine related. Sometimes I get an indication of a stumble when I hear the noise, but not for sure. The post about the AC engaging / dis-engaging makes some sense with the ~minute cycle time of the sound... Any other people experience this?

Have some one look at your power steering pump this past winter i broke my pump shaft and replaced the pump, i heard a slight squeak here and there so i turnt up my radio. About a month ago i had my mechanic look at it he said my pump bad, i thought it was the pulley but the only way to get it off is to use the tool or heat it up and hit it (which is always fun):yes:

eericksen
08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I WAS DRIVING YESTERDAY WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN AND EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE IT SOUNDS LIKE A BIRD IS CHIRPING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRUCK BUT WHILE DRIVING...THERE ARE NO SPECIFIC TIMES WHEN THIS HAPPENS...HAS ANYONE HEARD THIS BEFORE OR SOME NOISE LIKE IT? I HAVE AN 03 ENVOY XL........ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP

THANK YOU

I have the same issue with my 04. It doesnt seem to be the brakes and it seems too random to be a belt, especially since it doesnt get worse when it rains or is damp....I really have no idea!

wiggles
08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I have the same issue with my 04. It doesnt seem to be the brakes and it seems too random to be a belt, especially since it doesnt get worse when it rains or is damp....I really have no idea!

I had the same problem. Check your hood stops under the hood, if they are not sets to the proper height your hod will vibrate causing the chirping sound. With the hood closed see if the front corners of your hood move, if so open the hood and adjust the hood stop by just turning them until they hold the hood tight. Keep in mind that if you raise them up too much your hood will not close. Also make sure that they are even on both sides or you won't fix the problem. It took me about 3 tries to get it right.

jchandler
09-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm getting a squeal for the first 10-15 min of driving. It's intensity follows the rpms of the engine. The more gas, the louder the squeal. I tried cleaning the belt with soap and water; didn't help. I just picked up a new belt and plan to put it on tomorrow. I'll let everyone know my results...

Robert1101
09-03-2010, 10:56 PM

THANK YOU

PS: get off the caps........

eericksen
09-03-2010, 10:59 PM
It appears that the common problem is the Idler Pulley. $20 part and an easy repair, however it didnt fix my problem. Now im looking at the altenator or the water pump. I checked the AC by switching it on and off...no change. btw You can use a normal socket set and place the ratchet head inside the square notch on the adjuster arm. Its the middle slot on the front. Turn it counter clockwise. I didt have anyone to help so after trying several ideas I took the bigger side of the factory jack handle and placed it over the ratchet handle...worked perfectly. Just didnt solve my problem.

jchandler
09-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm getting a squeal for the first 10-15 min of driving. It's intensity follows the rpms of the engine. The more gas, the louder the squeal. I tried cleaning the belt with soap and water; didn't help. I just picked up a new belt and plan to put it on tomorrow. I'll let everyone know my results...

Put my belt on! Seems to have solved my bird / squeal. True test will be when I start it in the morning after night time dew. I'll let ya' know. :cool:

Loverotties
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Mine from the compressor.Only chrips when A/C or defrost is on.

toddb92
10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I have been hearing the same random chirp from under the vehicle. I have listened closely on recent trips. Seems to come from left front wheel area. Doesn't seem to be related to bumps or turning the wheel. And I don't hear it in park or idle. I am currently dealing with a slow leak in the low pressure power steering line, which is right inside the left front wheel. Could they be related?

greeneyerocker
10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I've got the same problem and notice when I turn the wheel slightly to the left it goes away. When it goes to the right it tends to get louder. I think it has something to do with the wheel bearing not sure. I thought it was the breaks but I checked it out and they seem to be fine! I am going to have the stealership check it out unless someone else has any other suggestions.

BobbyOrange
10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I've had similar issues, with a frequent chirp. I must clarify that it lasts for only a fraction of a second; there is no constant whine, etc. I've narrowed it down to the clutch on the A/C Compressor engaging. I replaced the belt and the idler, thinking that the tensioner was not keeping the belt tight enough, but the noise is still there. However, if I drive without the A/C on, the chirp is gone.

I've learned to live with it, as it seems to be a design flaw.

Eric

zipwalsh
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a 2003 4.2L I6. And have had many sounds comming from under the hood. First was a rattling noise when hitting a bump. It sounded like a piece of sheet metal was loose and banging violently when I hit a bump. Turned out to be the fan shroud. A tiny tab of plastic at the very top center of shroud had broken (it was too thin a design to begin with). I drilled a small hole and glued a screw onto it.

Next was the front staibilizer bars. At about 35,000 mi they went which made a banging noise when going over bumps. Thank goodness for these forums as someone had already gone throught that problem.

Next at 60,000mi I was getting a chirping noise when hitting a bump. I sprayed everthing in the front suspension that was rubber with silicone but to no avail. One day when getting out of the car in my gagage it made the noise. I got out and shook the car violently. It made the noise again. It sounded like it was comming from the hood area. I opened the hood and shook again. No noise. I greased one thing at a time and shook again. First the hood rubbers, then the hood height adjusters and finally the hood latch. It finally stopped. It was the latch.

Now at 90,00mi I got some new stuff to deal with. At this oil change I noticed the serpintene belt had some cracks in it. I bought a new one. After replacing it, it squealed like a pig. Tried belt dressing, cleaned the pullies etc. Finally I brough it back and got a more expensive one. No squealing but now a rumbeling noise. I noticed the belt tensioner was bouncing up and down a lot. Replaced that. No change. I replaced the power steering pump (what a mistake that was, the rebuilt would start whining above 2,000 rpm. I replaced the power steering pump again and the rebuit now whines all the time but is less loud. (i'm living with it). I just replaced the other idler pulley (not the tensioner) it was actually on it's way out, there was grease radiating from the bearing and I could get a little "play" out of it when I wiggled it. But I still have the tensioner pulley bouncing up and down making that noise.

Al in all I'd rate this vehicle as a piece of ****. 4 times in the garage under warrenty for the clutch fan, both rear passenger power window units replaced, rear hatch lift pistons replaced (hatch rusted shut). rear hatch window exploded when closing. Heater fan motor control replaced. Recall for rear wire harness. I have about 6 interior lights out (power windows etc.) The fuel gage is erratic sometimes reporting 1/4 tank when full. 4 wheel drive every once in a while will not work and errour out. And the most enoying is the lights going up and down.

My Toyota Tacoma has 140,000 mile on it and has had only routine maintenance.

It's no wonder why people buy Japanese!