Anti-freeze coming out of tailpipe? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Anti-freeze coming out of tailpipe?

blazntn
08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Anyone had this problem. We notice that a small amount of antifreeze is dripping out of the tailpipe. We checked the oil and it looks clean. Also, the antifreeze that is dripping is green, and the stuff in the fill tank is pink! Any ideas of what might be the problem?

LMMJ
08-31-2007, 09:37 PM
the over flow can be red/orange/dex cool and the radiator /block can still have some green stuff in it. Someone had to have filled the readiator directly with green stuff or that new universal G05 or whatever it's called.

As for the tailpipe dripping, there could be a crack in the cylinder head in one of the water passages into an exhaust port. But I don't know the layout of our heads so that could be a reach

blazntn
09-01-2007, 08:21 AM
what about maybe the intake gasket or something? If it was a head gasket I think there would be antifreeze in the oil?

gmcman
09-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Definately monitor the dipstick and make sure there is no light brown residue...antifreeze in oil is very very bad. Wasn't there a cracked cylinder problem for a while..maybe yours falls under that, I dunno but look into it. Honestly, I wouldn't drive it anymore...if you injest antifreeze into the oil then you have major problems, I would stop driving it while your ahead.

whiskey617
09-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Anyone had this problem. We notice that a small amount of antifreeze is dripping out of the tailpipe. We checked the oil and it looks clean. Also, the antifreeze that is dripping is green, and the stuff in the fill tank is pink! Any ideas of what might be the problem?

Would you mind filling out you profile info so we could all see what you have. Might make things a little more clear....

GusMan
09-01-2007, 09:50 AM
For a simple test to see if there is anti-freeze in the oil, get the engine up to normal operating temp and then pull the dipstick. Let the oil drip on the exhaust manifold. (not on the heat shield, if there is one, if at all possible.) If you see bubbles form, you have AF in the oil. If it just smokes, you at least dont have AF in the oil.

I have seen it where a cracked head / head gasket can allow AF to enter the exhaust port as well as the combustion chamber. What usually happens then is that it would you get white smoke out of the exhaust, especially when it starts up.

I would think a pressure test of the cooling system will tell you if you have some sort of internal leak.

rouxzy
09-01-2007, 09:58 AM
From my experience with anti freeze leaking into the engine, you would have a Stanley Steamer going down the road. In other words you will be able to see white smoke, (steam) coming out of your exhaust.
Tom

gmcman
09-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Agreed with what the others said about the white smoke, just hope it stays on top of the rings.