removing front drive axle [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: removing front drive axle

tahawus84
12-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I got it almost out but how do you get it out of the front differntial? I tried pulling and prying but cant seem to get it out. Any help is appreciated:confused:

Dave
12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Document ID# 865577
2005 GMC Truck Envoy - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differential Carrier Assembly Replacement 4.2L In-Line Six Cylinder
Removal Procedure

Remove the front tires and wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Remove the engine protection shield. Refer to Engine Protection Shield Replacement in Frame and Underbody.
Drain the engine of oil.
Drain the front drive axle. Refer to Lubricant Replacement - Front Drive Axle .
Remove the front propeller shaft from the front axle. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement - Front in Propeller Shaft.
Wrap the bearing caps with tape in order to prevent the loss of the roller bearings.

Remove the antilock brake system (ABS) wiring harness from the retainers.

Remove the brake hose retaining bolts.
Remove the front drive axle vent hose.

Remove the left and right upper ball pinch bolt and nut.

Remove the left and right upper shock module retaining nuts.

Remove the front stabilizer bar links from the frame. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.
Remove the shock module from the frame.
Remove the steering knuckle from the upper control arm.
Remove the left and right front wheel drive shafts from the front drive axle.

Relocate and secure the left and right front wheel drive shafts to the frame.

Using mechanics wire or hook, support the front shock modules and steering knuckle.

Remove the power steering gear assembly. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering System.

Remove the inner shaft (2) from the front drive axle. Refer to Inner Axle Shaft Replacement - Front Drive Axle .

Remove the front drive axle from the oil pan.
Secure the front drive axle to the frame.
Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.2L.

Remove the front drive axle from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Install the front drive axle to the frame.
Secure the front drive axle to the frame.
Install the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.2L.
Remove the front drive axle from the frame.
Install the front drive axle to the oil pan.
Notice
Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the front drive axle mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the front drive axle mounting bolts to 85 Nm (63 lb ft).

Install the inner axle (2) to the front drive axle. Refer to Inner Axle Shaft Replacement - Front Drive Axle .

Install the power steering gear. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering System.
Remove the left and right front wheel drive shafts from the frame.
Remove the left and right shock module and steering knuckles from their supports.
Install the right and left front wheel drive shafts to the front drive axle.
Install the vent hose to the front drive axle.
Install the left and right shock modules to the frame.
Install the upper shock module retaining nuts. Tighten
Tighten the upper shock module mounting bolts to 100 Nm (74 lb ft).

Install the steering knuckle to the upper control arm.
Install the upper ball joint pinch bolt and nut. Tighten
Tighten the upper shock module mounting bolts to 40 Nm (30 lb ft).

Install the front stabilizer bar links to the frame. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.

Install the brake hose retaining bolts. Tighten
Tighten the brake hose retaining bolt to 25 Nm (18 lb ft).

Install the right and left ABS wiring harness in the retainers.
Install the front propeller shaft from the front axle. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement - Front in Propeller Shaft.
Fill the front drive axle with the proper fluid. Refer to Lubricant Replacement - Front Drive Axle .
Fill the engine with the proper amount motor oil. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid in Maintenance and Lubrication.

Install the engine protection shield. Refer to Engine Protection Shield Replacement in Frame and Underbody.

Install the tires and wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

You didn't give a model year specific with an engine but this is what I pulled up from Techline for a 2005 GMC 6 cyl. (Did you remove the oil pan?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 865577

tahawus84
12-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the help, I am removing the passenger side and it doesnt go though the oil pan. Maybe thats the drivers side? I got it all disassembled but I couldnt pull the inner cv joint from the case. Dosent look like there is any special retaining clip on it either.

Dave
12-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Oops, I though you were removing the whole assembly. It looks like you need special GM tools. One tool looks like a screwdriver socket adaptor and the second looks like the adaptor.

Here it is for the axle. Document ID# 865568

Inner Axle Shaft Replacement - Front Drive Axle
Tools Required
J 6125-B Slide Hammer
J 45104 Axle Remover Adapter
Removal Procedure
Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Drain the lubricant from the differential carrier assembly. Refer to Lubricant Replacement - Front Drive Axle .
Remove the intermediate shaft bearing assembly. Refer to Intermediate Shaft Bearing Assembly Replacement - Front Drive Axle .
Install the J 45104 to the J 6125-B .
Install the J 45104 and the J 6125-B into the threaded hole on the inner axle shaft.

Important
Do not nick or cut the inboard (oil pan) side differential carrier assembly oil seal.

Remove the inner axle shaft using the J 6125-B (1) and the J 45104 (2). Support the inner axle shaft as necessary to in order to pull the inner axle shaft from the differential carrier assembly and evenly through the oil pan.
Installation Procedure
Install the J 45104 and the J 6125-B to the inner axle shaft.
While supporting the J 6125-B and the J 45104 with the inner axle shaft, place the inner axle shaft into the inner axle shaft opening in the oil pan.

Important
Do not nick or cut the differential carrier assembly oil seal.

Using the J 6125-B (1) and the J 45104 (2), carefully guide the inner axle shaft through the oil pan and differential carrier assembly oil seal into the differential side gear turning as necessary in order to align the inner axle shaft splines with the differential side gear splines.
Using the J 6125-B , push the inner axle shaft into the differential side gear until the retaining ring snaps the inner axle shaft into place. Pull on the inner axle shaft to ensure that it is locked into position.
Remove the J 45104 and the J 6125-B .
Install the intermediate shaft bearing assembly. Refer to Intermediate Shaft Bearing Assembly Replacement - Front Drive Axle .
Add lubricant to the differential carrier assembly. Use the proper fluid. Refer to Lubricant Replacement - Front Drive Axle .
Lower the vehicle.

Document ID# 865568

geneelder
12-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Any reason why you are doing this? Is something broke? Are you upgrading something?

tahawus84
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the help. The reason I am doing this is I have a busted outer cv joint and I need to remove the whole shaft to fix it. Thanks for the help. :D

6dutchfans
10-21-2011, 02:41 PM
whats the trick to removing a front drive axle from the transfer case on a 06 trailblazer.. can't get it to come out..:bonk:

the roadie
10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
1) The CV shafts don't touch the transfer case, whcih is attached to the back of the transmission. The front differential is the thing attached to the driver's side of the oil pan.

2) Many other threads discuss the CV shaft removal process, which is basically getting an 18-24" piece of rebar or something similarly long and stout, a 3-5 pound sledge, and whaling away at the bar while the other end is touching the inner CV joint (called the tripot housing) at a slight angle to clear the oil pan. There's a circlip on the inside edge of the splined end of the CV shaft. If you're replacing the shaft, you will already see this on the replacement.

You can also try a pickle fork to pry on it, a flat pry bar (like a Wonderbar), or get an adapter for a slide hammer and take it out by pulling from the outside. Nothing is as potentially quick as the sledge-o-matic and rebar. ;)

twiztedI8
11-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Would it hurt anything if i removed a cv axle and didnt replace it right away? I have a busted cv axle and dont have the funds right now to replace it but it is the only vehicle i have to drive to work. Any help would be appreciated. I dont really want to mess it up.

the roadie
11-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Answered in your other location.