Opinions needed on BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Opinions needed on BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires

ZRjohn
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Looking for opinions on the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires, the local discount tire made me a great deal on them, but I don't know much about them. I was really considering the Firestone Destination A/T's before these. I need good snow, slush, rain traction; That is very important to me!

Let me know!

Thanks

John

Wake
10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I like them...

They were OE on my 02 and replaced two of them earlier this year when I bought it used, 2 had already been replaced by the dealership... My first winter here in MD where I'm not used to driving in snow and they were great...

They ride nice and don't have any real noticable noise... I haven't done any off roading other than some dirt roads in the slush and mud, but they seem pretty decent to me there as well...

Also, go to tirerack and discount tire and ready up on the customer reviews, they were marked pretty high there which is another reason I went with them...

bullethole
10-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Had good service from them on my first TB. They were OE and I got 60k from them. Bought another set and they were great also. Still had plenty of tread at 40k when my TB was killed. Did some snow and they did fine. Some off-road and it was average. Does not like the mud though.

ZRjohn
10-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, they only wanted 474.00 out the door for these with there current special of $100.00 off any set of four tires. Seems hard to pass up, especially with the free lifetime rotations. I do not plan on any mud, but will see snow for sure. Sounds like the tread life is pretty good to, maybe I will just have to try them. I must say I liked the OEM Michilens on my Envoy, but I am always open to trying other tires.

Thanks again,

John

LOWRIT00
10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Yea there a great tire, snow mud and not noisey either, I have had mine for about 60k and still have good tread but I'll probably getting a new set next fall. I got mine from discount tire too, get the certs on them too. I keep mine rotated and balanced once a month, but dont forget I drive 70 miles round trip just to work and home. thats just 1400 miles to work and back a month. I love them and I never had a problem.

chevydriverx2
10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
thats all my dad uses on his explorer and thats all he will use he loves them and he goes on and off road all the time and even when we get snow they do fine hes been using that brand of tire since 98 or so and ive never seen him have a problem with them
also theres not alot of road noise from them i would recomend them and he drives like 300 miles a day and makes the tires last anywhere between 35,000 to 45,000 miles

MichEnvoyBoy
10-22-2007, 04:27 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Rugged+Trail+T%2FA&partnum=465HR7RUGTTA&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=4&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=S

According to Tirerack, I wouldnt accept a set of these tires if Jesus Christ himself appeared from the Heavens and told me if I didnt take them I'd have a cold sore on my lip for life! :eek:

Ive heard exceptional remarks on the Firestone Destination LE's, Cooper Discoverer's and Bridgestone Dueler A/T's.

My OEM Michelin cross terrains lasted 85,000 miles and still had some tread left that I could've stretched it out longer but they were starting to get "micro cracks" between the tread and IMO, after 5 years thats pretty good! I replaced with a new set of michelin cross terrains. :yes:

xceebeex
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
I just went with a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's. They should be here any day now!

blu ya
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
They're a good tire, had them as oe for my 16's and bought them for my 17's when I went up in rim size. I would buy them again.

jake129
10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
here (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=67SR6ATAKORWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=40)

These are pretty sweet too! (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=67TR6GRAT2OWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=47)

Just some other options...

TBlazeruss44
10-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I used to love the BFG TA KO's(as opposed to the BFG's that are the actual subject here) on my 1994 S-10 Blazer, they were great in ANY kind of weather that Mother Nature could throw at us in CNY...But for my TB, the Firestone Destination AT's are getting mounted and balanced tomorrow!!! Way less $$$$ than the BFG TA KO's...I can't wait for the snow and slop to come rollin' off Lake Ontario!!!! :yes:Bring it on!!!:D:D:D

dyseck
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I have always purchased BFGoodrich tires. Just picked up H rated Raised Black Lettering Rugged Trails 245/R65/17 at Sam's Club last week for $132 per tire. The cheapest I could find. Seems to ride smooth so far. Less than 100 miles on them. Way better than the Continental Contitrac that were OEM.

TBlazeruss44
10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
I have always purchased BFGoodrich tires. Just picked up H rated Raised Black Lettering Rugged Trails 245/R65/17 at Sam's Club last week for $132 per tire. The cheapest I could find. Seems to ride smooth so far. Less than 100 miles on them. Way better than the Continental Contitrac that were OEM.
That's precisely why I am getting new rubber tomorrow...I had just 30,000 on the Contitrac stock tires that came new on my truck and bald spots were showing up all over the treads, very disappointing to say the least...Great price on the BFG's, in my opinion...My Destination AT's are running me $140 a tire with lifetime rotations and balancing from my regular mechanic...

ZRjohn
10-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Just picked these up today for $474.00 out the door installed. Awesome deal, and I really like the way these tires look on the envoy. This also includes a prorated warranty as well as all tire rotations. We will see how they hold up, again, thanks for all the input!

John

superman_79065
10-23-2007, 05:20 PM
I put 255/70 R18 Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on my TB over the summer and LOVE them. They rate just as high on Tirerack as the Michelins, but are WAY cheaper. I haven't had 'em in the snow yet, but they eat up the mud, they look aggressive and knobby, and are SILENT goin' down the road!

gearjamminjake
11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
cant go wrong with bf goodwrench. they got the triple sidewall thing goin on. i had one tire damn near split through the side because of rock i nicked while muddin. i went another 5000 mi or so never had no problems.

damascus92
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I've got BFG Rugged Trail T/As on my 02 TBZ with almost 78,000 miles on them. We're buying new tires soon but have been very happy with the BFGs so far.

Bthracer21
03-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I have general Grabber AT2s and I love them. Have not let me down at all. Very little bit of road noise but it is an aggressive AT tire. And they are cheap. I have had them on for a little over a year and they havent shown any signs of wear... Good luck, Tire Rack is the way to go unless you have a hook up with another dealer.

rbarrios
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I think theyre the tires that came from the factory...
if so- they are great.
mine also went 88,000. with about 10K left on them.
when I replaced them, I purposely went looking for OEM replacements.
theyre wearing beutifully...

ZRjohn
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Well it is about 3 years and 70,000 miles later on these BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's......Tires still have traction but will be getting replaced before winter. I was very impressed with the snow traction on these tires, and thought they did just fine on highway and city driving. We do many 8 hour trips (one way) through some pretty trecherous roads in the winter, these tires performed flawless, and dare I say I though the snow traction was superior to the Michelins that came stock on my Envoy. I think i will be getting another set, the Triple Treds from Goodyear were tempting, but not a huge fan of the 1-2 MPG loss on the hwy that people seem to have.

Take Care,

John

bigezzyk
09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
i had a set and got 53000 miles on them and i go off roading and they were good until i got it to deep mud then i had trouble spinning a lot

maxxhotrodd
09-26-2010, 04:58 AM
cant go wrong with bf goodwrench. they got the triple sidewall thing goin on. i had one tire damn near split through the side because of rock i nicked while muddin. i went another 5000 mi or so never had no problems.

BF Goodrich only makes the All Terrain K/O, the Mud Terrain KM (? I can't keep up), and the Baja TA with 3 ply sidewalls. The rest of their line is 2 ply, including the Rugged Trail. Cooper S/T's, Goodyear Wrangler MT's, Firestone Destination MT's, Falken Rocky Mtn ATS, the new General Grabber are some other tires with 3 ply sidewalls. Funny thing Bridgestone (parent of Firestone), Michelin (parent of Goodrich) or Continental (parent of General) don't offer their own tires in 3 ply.

Goodrich once had a great ad, with a Baja truck leaping off the ground with the tag line "The only thing you need in 2 ply out here is toilet paper ..."

Yeah, someones gonna say I left off Cepek, Interco, and Mickey Thompson, but they don't make their own tires. Cepek and M/T are subsidiaries of Cooper, Interco has tires their made by STA and overseas companies.

WetOne
03-14-2011, 02:17 PM
At 85,000 miles, I finally replaced the 17" tires on my '02 LTZ which I purchased new in '01. The tires served my well in wet (and dry) Seattle weather and crossing mountain passes. Nary a flat in all those miles. I was so impressed with wear that I bought a replacement set of BF Goodrich Rugged Trails that now have 30,000 miles on them. The run-flats on my Corvette only got 25G miles on them before replacing and they cost three times as much. Two thumbs up to BF Goodrich and their Rugged Trails!!

WetOne
03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
At 85,000 miles, I finally replaced the 17" tires on my '02 LTZ which I purchased new in '01. The tires served my well in wet (and dry) Seattle weather and crossing mountain passes. Nary a flat in all those miles. I was so impressed with wear that I bought a replacement set of BF Goodrich Rugged Trails that now have 30,000 miles on them. The run-flats on my Corvette only got 25G miles on them before replacing and they cost three times as much. Two thumbs up to BF Goodrich and their Rugged Trails!!