How to: Replace blower resistor pack replacement WITH PICS! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: How to: Replace blower resistor pack replacement WITH PICS!

Pages : [1] 2 3

K2JJB
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Vehicle 2002 Trailblazer LS - no automatic temp controls

Time spent: about 20 minutes (spent time getting the right stuff from the garage :) ).

Part: blower motor resistor (I used parts4chevys.com so I used the drill down menu to find it, sorry I do not have the PN handy)

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
7/32" socket or nut driver
one long screw driver (flat blade) - optional
flash light - optional

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res0.jpg

step one: locate the two 7mm screws holding the plastic kick plate under the passenger side dash, remove them, and then carefully remove the plastic cover

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res1.jpg

step 2: look up under there and you can see the old resistor pack. It has one connector and a pair of wires going from it. Unscrew the two 7/32" screws and it will come down, unclip the wire harness

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res3.jpg

step 3: open the glovebox and empty it, now release the catch so that it can hang down

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res4.jpg

step 4: locate the end of the wires that came from the resistor pack, they are plugged into the blower, release the clip and remove them (I used a screw driver to push in on the little clip to release it)

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res5.jpg

step 5: reverse the process and install the new one :)

here is the comparison of the two

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res6.jpg

hope that helps somebody....

From the Roadie: Since everybody looks in this post if they use a search, I'm just going to add the schematic HERE for one-stop shopping

RayVoy
10-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Nice job, thanks. Maybe one of the mods can move this to the articles section.

rubberman
10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
can yoiu list the part no and price for the part? thanks

johnblahblah
10-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Great article :thumbsup: Just what I need when my resistor pack comes in.

Thanks!

John

K2JJB
10-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Where I ordered it from does not show the PN, sorry. I just used their drill down menu until I found

"Mechanical Catalog - 2002 - Chevrolet/Geo - Trailblazer
Hvac, Controls, Blower motor, Resistor, Resistor, s-series, bravada/envoy/trailblazer"

I also did not see a part number on the part itself.

It cost me $38 + s/h. The local dealer here wanted $60 for it, so it was better than that even with the shipping.

duff76
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
AcDelco # is 15-81095 if that helps any.

lineman82
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
thanks

Blazernut
02-13-2008, 07:53 AM

Great write up!

part # 89019100 I think mine was about $35. The best part about Parts4Chevys is that they have reasonable shipping rates compared to others.

Under the Resources tab, at the top right of the page, there are a bunch of part numbers listed for various items. We as members can add to this list and keep it current for any and all parts. A great helper for ordering for mods and regular replacement parts:thumbsup:

OldSVTGuy
03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Yep, replaced mine about 3 months ago. Took longer to find it than to actually replace it. The new part was very different looking, as shown above, than the old part. Maybe an upgraded part??

05TBLS
03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I did this repair last weekend. I lost fan speed #5, and put it off for a while.

This write-up was very helpful, and other than needing to be a contortionist, it wasn't too bad a job.

shawnowen32
03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I will be replacing this on my girlfriends TB. Thanks for the great photos.

Shawn

lwlasowicz
03-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks for pics. My blower setting #1 is out so I'll have to do mine. I more or less knew where it was how to get to it, but the pics difintely helped out. I am getting one from AC/DELCO for about $38

JosueZQ8
03-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Great write up! Nice pics too!

We have this problem on our trucks too. Some people have to do over and over again? Luckily I've been immune to this issue thus far....*knocks on wood*.

csp1
03-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Great pics and info.

Thanks for sharing with us.

I had this done a while back under my extended warranty.

Fergs02
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Great post and Pics K2JJB. Did mine today, just about 15 min. to do.
Thanks

BigJohnAZ
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for this write up, it helped me immensely. My #5 position fan switch went out yesterday, I read this post and replaced the blower fan resistor this morning. The only problem I had was trying to contort myself inside the passenger side to remove and reinstall it. I'm 6'5" and a biscuit less than 300 pounds lol

Talking to the parts guy at the Chevy dealer, he said that this is a problem with all Chevrolets, this resistor fails quite often. He also said that usually the socket melts from overheating.

Thanks for a great post! :thx

nhenvoynh
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
well ive been putting off getting to this for a while ive been kinda in denial i thought that this was wrong i have no 1 2 3 speeds. i figured since im broke that this fix had to be expensive but now that i know its not ill probably even do it myself

Tumba
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
The job went just as described in this thread didn't take 30 minutes {cause i'm old and slow} But I lost my 7/32 nut driver. eh it'l turn up somewhere.
This site is exelent i'll be here everytime I need you! I don't have much to offer yet I'm kinda dated with any car above mid 80's
Again Thanks
Tumba:woohoo:

petevw
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Great write up!

part # 89019100 I think mine was about $35. The best part about Parts4Chevys is that they have reasonable shipping rates compared to others.

Under the Resources tab, at the top right of the page, there are a bunch of part numbers listed for various items. We as members can add to this list and keep it current for any and all parts. A great helper for ordering for mods and regular replacement parts:thumbsup:

GMPartsDirect.com GM LIST: $53.14
OUR PRICE: $27.63

rrufast
05-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I've lost fan speed 1.
Is this indicative of a bad resistor pack?

Robert1101
05-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Yes, and you should loose speeds 2, 3, 4 in time. Mine ran backwards, I lost 4 and then 2 but 3 was close behind. Fix it while summer is not quite here.

rrufast
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get around to ordering the new replacement soon enough. At least this looks to be a relatively simple and cheap fix... ;-)

EDIT- Just order from GMPartsDirect.com. Total was $38 and change. They are in NC and I'm in SC, so I should have it in a few days. Learned that GMPD is actually a subsidiary of FLOW Motors, which is out of Winston Salem if I'm not mistaken. Anywho.. hope this solves my problem with no air on fan setting 1.

rrufast
06-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Got the part in today. Took me all of 10 minutes to remove and replace.
Miraculously, fan speed 1 now works.. :)

Thanks again TV... :thumbsup::D

To the OP.. :thx for the pics also. Being able to get a 'visual' on things really helps me out.. :thumbsup:

jl830344
07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, and you should loose speeds 2, 3, 4 in time. Mine ran backwards, I lost 4 and then 2 but 3 was close behind. Fix it while summer is not quite here.

I lost my #5 speed, and replaced this resistor today in about half hour. $39 from gmparts direct. Works great now that my TB sat in the sun today at about 92 degrees outside. Cooled quickly...:):):):)

pauljohnson
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=K2JJB;443102]I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Time spent: about 20 minutes (spent time getting the right stuff from the garage :) ).

Part: blower motor resistor (I used parts4chevys.com so I used the drill down menu to find it, sorry I do not have the PN handy)

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
flash light - optional

step one: locate the two 7mm screws holding the plastic kick plate under the passenger side dash, remove them, and then carefully remove the plastic cover

step 2: look up under there and you can see the old resistor pack. It has one connector and a pair of wires going from it. Unscrew the two 7/32" screws and it will come down, unclip the wire harness

step 3: open the glovebox and empty it, now release the catch so that it can hang down

[I used these directions on 7/24/08 and found them to be spot on. I had lost speeds 1,2, and 5. Part cost $53.94 at dealer

nearpar
07-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I had to replce the blower motor resistor pack on the 2003 Envoy this was most helpful !

Thank you !:)

shocker
08-16-2008, 09:36 PM
i have change mine on a envoy 2005 but the 4 speed stop working again after 1 week???

anyone know why

K2JJB
08-17-2008, 08:41 AM
i have change mine on a envoy 2005 but the 4 speed stop working again after 1 week???

anyone know why

a while back I recall reading on here that someone (maybe it was The Roadie? I just can not remember) on here had issues that when the resistor pack went bad it got the connector that went to it really hot as well. That caused the contacts in there to have issues so that when they put the new one in there the resistance of the contact itself eventually caused the connection to get hot and then open up. They had to replace the resistor pack and the cable that plugs into it to fix it. Might be worthwhile to unplug the harness from the resistor pack and see if it looks discolored/disfigured.

reedtchsrv
08-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I just ordered my resistor pack due to not having 1,2 or 3. Just found this in another forum:

Subject: EI05082 - Loss of Blower Motor Speeds Except for Low Speed or Inoperative (Replace Blower Motor Resistor and Resistor Module Connector) keyword fan #05-01-38-012C - (11/02/2006)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

2004-2006 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

with HVAC System AC Front, Manual Temp Control (RPO CJ3) or Heater Only (RPO C42)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-012B (Section 01 -- HVAC).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the blower will only work on low speeds or has become inoperative.

Correction
REPLACE THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND RESISTOR MODULE CONNECTOR.

Replace the blower motor resistor and module connector using the following procedure:

Remove the blower fuse.
• Fullsize Trucks and Utility Vehicles -- Htr A/C & HVAC 1 fuses

• Midsize Utility Vehicles -- Blower Fuse 35 located in the Underhood Fuse Block

Lower the hush panel or close-out panel enough to gain access to the resistor module connector.
Disconnect the connector from the resistor module.
Remove the tape from the wiring harness to expose the wiring.

Cut the wires back far enough from the connector to eliminate any melted insulation on the wire.
Tip
Use the old connector as a map for splicing the wires for the new connector. Be sure to use the correct crimping tool from the terminal repair kit J 38125. Use only Duraseal splice sleeves. Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection.

Install the new connector. Use the yellow splice sleeves provided with the connector.
Install new blower motor resistor.
Reinstall the fuse or connector block. Test the blower motor to make sure all speeds are functional.
Reinstall the hush panel/close-out panel.
Parts Information
Important: To determine which resistor to use for Fullsize Truck/Utility vehicles, search the parts catalog using the vehicle's VIN.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Connector - Resistor Blower Motor (includes splice sleeves)

Resistor -- Blower Motor (Fullsize Truck/Utility)

Resistor -- Blower Motor (Fullsize Truck/Utility)

Resistor -- HVAC & A/C (midsize utility vehicles)

JRF001
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks! I just fixed my 2002 GMC Envoy August 28 2008. Your information save me 150.00 dollars. That may not included the part from the Dealer. The part cost me 25.00. The directions worked great.

reedtchsrv
08-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Great thread. I was missing 1-2-3 and had no idea why. I bought my parts from parts4chevys and had the entire installation finished in 15 minutes. So far, this has been the easiest surgery on my truck.

Martinez17
08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
i havent lost any speeds yet but the tb is making a noise where the blower is?
as soon as i turn the truck on

ckeefjr
08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I just wanted to thank you for posting the instructions and pictures for this repair. Because of you, this repair saved me a lot of money by doing it myself and only took a few minutes to complete. The Autozone a couple of blocks away from my house had the part here the next day and it was only $25.00. More than that, my wife thanks you because it is her car and almost 100 degrees outside. Thanks again!

shocker
08-29-2008, 06:37 PM
do you know where i can get the new connector because here in canada at gm it sell around 160$ just for the pig tale

Hepcat
09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm happy to report that I just finished this repair and the blower speeds are all working. Beeyotiful!

I purchased the new resistor from Autozone for $23.99 +tax. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it from another store. I ordered it yesterday, picked it up at 4:07pm today. 10 minute ride home, a quick infusion of Mt. Dew, gathered my tools and installed it. Here it is, 5:00pm on the dot. The actual install, as reported, took about 15-20 minutes.

For future reference, the replacement part is made by Duralast.

Part # DR755

RayVoy
09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
:thumbsup:

regen333
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Thats great!! I'm gonna order one right now, mines been bad for about a month now. I don't know why I haven't done it yet. Thanks for the how to! :thumbsup:

STREETTEC
09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I ordered mine a couple of days ago from AC-Direct for $27.95 (ACDelco 15-81095), got it today and just installed it! My setting #1 wasn't working and now everything is working!! I never took it in b/c I thought it was going to be an expensive fix!!

Thank you for the write-up!! VERY VERY HELPFUL!!! :thumbsup: :thx

Kman1022
09-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Could it be this part if the system works sometimes on all of the settings and sometimes on none of the settings? Before I bought the vehicle used, it didn't work on the #4 setting. They replaced something under the warranty it had right away. Now a few months down the line it stopped working completely, then during the same ride home it all of a sudden kicked on. It worked fine for a week now it won't work at all again?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

K2JJB
09-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Could it be this part if the system works sometimes on all of the settings and sometimes on none of the settings? Before I bought the vehicle used, it didn't work on the #4 setting. They replaced something under the warranty it had right away. Now a few months down the line it stopped working completely, then during the same ride home it all of a sudden kicked on. It worked fine for a week now it won't work at all again?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Usually when the pack dies you loose one speed at a time here and there, not all of them all of a sudden. It could be the harness that plugs into the pack (mentions of that in other posts in this thread) or the blower itself.

Kman1022
09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
The dealership replaced the blower motor about 2 months ago. I brought the truck into them today to talk about the issue. They said they'd take a look at it on Monday. If it's the blower motor they aid they'll replace it no cost. If it's not they wanna charge me 90 an hr to diagnose then more for parts and labor. F-THEM! If they won't warranty it and it's only a few days out of warranty I'll take it up with the owner of the place.

I'm gonna have to read around on here some more before I get discouraged. I'd rather fix it myself anyways if it's not the blower motor. I'm not paying them to screw me.:suicide:

k6
10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for an awesome post, it saved me a lot of time. I was able to do it without messing with the glove box at all. I also noticed that because of the way the screw holes line up, the replacement part (same as yours in the picture) actually installs the opposite direction of the original. I also noticed the one odd size nut driver I had in my whole craftsman set was the 5.5mm needed for this job!

Nakattk
10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi, I'm new here and i have a 05 trailblazer ls. My blower just stopped working the other day. If you turn the ac on u can here the ac engage and the heat too, but nothing blows out any vent. It won't work on any lvl 1-5. does this sound like I need to replace the resistor? How do you find out if that is the problem? I'm asking casue if I can fix it myself for cheaper I need too. My warranty wants $50 if its coverd, but if it's not I have to pay the shop $83+parts and labor. I read my warranty list and resistor is not on there. Please any help here.:confused:

bmeehan19
10-06-2008, 10:50 PM
:tiphatI found the new harness and resistor for 69.99 + shipping.

Blower Motor Resistor / 4180 Repair Harness Combo
15-81086

From The Electric Connection Online Store:

http://store.the-electric-connection.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=stevene55&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=311992824&Count2=229133248&Keyword=15%2D81086&Target=products.asp

Kman1022
10-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi, I'm new here and i have a 05 trailblazer ls. My blower just stopped working the other day. If you turn the ac on u can here the ac engage and the heat too, but nothing blows out any vent. It won't work on any lvl 1-5. does this sound like I need to replace the resistor? How do you find out if that is the problem? I'm asking casue if I can fix it myself for cheaper I need too. My warranty wants $50 if its coverd, but if it's not I have to pay the shop $83+parts and labor. I read my warranty list and resistor is not on there. Please any help here.:confused:

This is what happened to me a few weeks ago. I could hear both trying to turn on but nothing would come out. It was the blower motor. This has happened to me twice now in the past 3 months:hopeless:suicide:
The service manager said it's just a crappy GM part and this may continue to happen.?. I hope not!!!

Blazernut
10-07-2008, 07:39 AM
:tiphatI found the new harness and resistor for 69.99 + shipping.

Blower Motor Resistor / 4180 Repair Harness Combo
15-81086

From The Electric Connection Online Store:

http://store.the-electric-connection.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=stevene55&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=311992824&Count2=229133248&Keyword=15%2D81086&Target=products.asp

This looks like a great find! Resistor alone is 30 bucks and the harness and motor included is a fabulous deal. So easy to do yourself too!

Nakattk
10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I just found out this morning that the unit inbetween the seats doesn't blow out either for the rear seats. does the same part upfront under the dash run this as well, or is that another problem all together?

Kman1022
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I would assume that it runs from the same blower motor. I doubt they'd use a second blower for such a small amount of air for the rear unit.?.:confused:

Nakattk
10-07-2008, 09:03 PM
It probably is. It doesn't blow very hard back there anyways so it's probably comming from the front. I just want to know if its the blower or the resistor before I let them look at it. I want to know if my warranty covers it before they try to tell me it doesn't. If it's just a $30 part I'd rather fix it myself rather than pay a $50 deductable. How do you tell if it's the resistor or the motor?

Kman1022
10-08-2008, 07:09 AM
from what I've gathered in here, if yo lose settings 1-5 at once, it's the blower motor. If you lose a few at a time or even just one setting like just #4 or just #5 then it's the resistor.

Nakattk
10-09-2008, 08:36 PM
It just started working again today all settings blow out like normal. So, I guess it is the motor. Guy at autozone told me the motors will do that untill they completely burn out.

Nakattk
10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Nvm, lol it stopped working now. This is stupid. Things like this shouldn't happen when it doesn't even have 49,000 miles on it. This should be a recall. It seems to me like Trailblazers should be recalled for alot of issues, but there is only one recall in effect. I am getting disheartned for chevy products becasue of this. So far I have had the light dim problem, it cut out on me once at a stop light, the blower problem, a battery problem. Also, when I accelerate sometimes it bogs back the revs back up and bogs back again like it won't shift or something. I have no idea what that one is Arggg. Sorry to rant on this fourm, I just needed to vent.

Nakattk
10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Just a heads up. Took it to the shop it was the resistor and a connector, and it was under my warranty. Works fine now. So the resistor can make it not work at all as well. Watch you wires if you are doinging it yourself they got mine crosses up and I had to go back. They had it where 1 was like 4 and backwards.

gker
10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Just replaced this on my '04 Envoy in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the great post.

dunkelson
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Replaced mine today as well. Nice write up, but i have another possible issue that i need opinion(s) on. The wire harness going into the resistor from vehicle was a little toasted, nothing bad but toasted none the less. Speed 5 now works which it didn't before, but should i replace the wiring harness and not use speed 5 till i do so, or use speed 5 and get wiring harness replaced asap, or not worry about it ?

rayboy55
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
This how to helped me tremendously. Thanks for the post.

dsmlherbold
10-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Excellent forum. Thanks for the post and pictures. Everything worked exactly as described and illustrated.

badbrad6491
10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Great job with the photos. Mine is out, now i need to find a replacement. Was quoted $152. from the dealer. think I'll look elsewhere. Many thanks:D badbrad6491

Yasko
11-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Great instructions and pictures for the replacement. Got the part from NAPA for $36 and had the total job done in 30 minutes.
Thanks!

mr croom
11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
This is a great thread! Thanks to everybody who posted including the OP! :thumbsup:

rbarrios
11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks...
Last year- during my cross country drive into mexico...
the #5 setting stopped working intermittently (bumpy roads I thought).
It was cold thru the Sonoran Desert.
I left it as is till yesterday... 1-4 worked fine.
So I decided to correct this- as we will be driving thru that desert again.
During a work break- I went down an in 8 minutes removed that part....
After work- I drove to the local AC delco parts wharehouse and bought the new part for aboutr $33.xx with tax.
Got home and in the dark with flashlight- installed the new part. # 5 blows nicely again.....

I did notice that #1 seems to really be a low setting.. I mean it appears to blow air with less force...

My new part looks just like the one in the posters image.

mr croom
11-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Great job with the photos. Mine is out, now i need to find a replacement. Was quoted $152. from the dealer. think I'll look elsewhere. Many thanks:D badbrad6491

I believe you and I are in the same boat my friend. The SLT has a heater control module instead of resistor like the SLE, thats why they are so much more expensive. Gotta love that automatic climate control :duh:..............

desert_dawg
11-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I started to price around and Autozone had the best price at $26.99 plus tax, part number DR755. I actually placed it on order from another store, but when I went out in the garage to check for voltage at the fan motor, there was 12 Volts DC at the motor but no motor spinning.

I pulled the fan motor out and found the brushes were not making good contact to the armature inside the motor. There is a vent tube that is on the side of the motor body that can be moved to get access to the view of the one brush assembly. I moved the brush assembly back and forth to work it loose and did the best I could doing the same with the brush tucked away on the opposite side. I cleaned off the surface of the armature with a standard pencil eraser. I re-installed the fan motor and it works fine for now. I may have to revisit this servicing again, but much better than buying a new motor. New motor was $100.00 from Autozone so imagine it would be twice that at dealer.

My symptom was fan would only work about 10% of the time. But when it did work, all speeds were able to be used. If you lose a couple of speed choices, such as speed 1 and 2, this would more likely be the module. Check for 12 Volts DC at the fan motor plug (purple and black wires) by pulling the under dash piece off like in the pictures in th beginning of this posting. If you pull the glove box out it will give you more room and viewing area to see what you are doing. Just unplug the motor plug and measure for 12 Volts DC with the fan turned on.

Hope this helps someone out. This forum is super helpful and a big money saver for the do-it-yourselfer.

tjwisely
12-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to give a big thanks to all that contirbute to this thread and ths site. I just replaced my blower motor resistor on my 03 'Voy Xl and in went in perfect. Next project....the stepper motors on the tach and speedo. Anyway, thanks again, I could not have done it with the guidance of those on this site.

Tim

jazzybiebs
12-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I replaced my resistor (BR281 from Napa) because the #5 setting wouldn't work. That fixed it but a day later it is now not working again. Any ideas to what the problem is. All the other settings work fine.

Jeff

neelskit
12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Some have reported a melted connector that plugs into the module you replaced. Check the contacts- makes sure they're not burnt.

Amedeo
12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I recently joined and used this thread to sort out my blower issue. The step-by-step instructions/pics have been great. My blower stopped working on the highway during a winter storm last week (Canada). I had the blower checked with separate power and it worked. I bought a new module ($140 CDN) for the auto control and installed it - but the fan didn't go on. Then someone in a thread said they banged on the blower. I did that and everything started! This is a very good forum and I put the shortcut on my desktop.

WTF_GM
12-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok I got the resistor out the next problem is one of the termanals was burnt off and the side of the resistor was melted, Why would that happen? Like I say let her burn Im insured wont be buying another one

Charlie
01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
flash light - optional

step 4: locate the end of the wires that came from the resistor pack, they are plugged into the blower, release the clip and remove them (I used a screw driver to push in on the little clip to release it)

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res5.jpg

step 5: reverse the process and install the new one :)

here is the comparison of the two

http://www.barenys.com/tv/tv_res6.jpg

hope that helps somebody....

Thanks...I spent a lot of time searching for this resistor pack before coming across your excelent article. After removing the resistor pack I was able to find the breaks in the lands on the circuit board with the use of an ohm meter. I then scratched off the varnish and soldered a bridge across the break. All speeds are now working . Its been good for 6 months now. :thx
charlie

woody6725
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Usually when the pack dies you loose one speed at a time here and there, not all of them all of a sudden. It could be the harness that plugs into the pack (mentions of that in other posts in this thread) or the blower itself.

i lost the high speeds, then today the lower ones went out too. this write up is a beautiful thing. i'm heading over to order the dr755 from autozone now. i have a $20 credit on my autozone rewards card, so this'll only be about a $10 fix with tax! keeping my fingers crossed that this fixes the problem!

saintmac
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
i have 05trailblazer ,awhile back i lost 4,5 on the fan controll then lost 1,2,3 speed so i replaced the resistor and noticed that on the plug to resistor has 2 brunt spots on it,could this have affect on it or is my blower out,need help,thk

jd4th
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
K2JJB, just want to say thanks for posting the step by step to replacing the blower motor resistor. It saved me a ton of cash. Nice job.
Joe

gredden
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
On my 2005 Trailabler, the blower seems to very hard the 1 -3 speeds. It is quite bothersome, making it hard to keep the car at the right temp. This does not sound like a blower resister to me but I don't know much. Could it be the switch? NOTE: Everything electronic (dual zone climate control), not actual knobs to turn.

Thanks for the help!!

the roadie
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
... This does not sound like a blower resister to me but I don't know much. Could it be the switch? NOTE: Everything electronic (dual zone climate control), not actual knobs to turn.The digital control HVAC system doesn't have the same resistor pack and a 5 speed fan. The control is smooth, and the fan speed can be variable at any speed. I assume when you go into manual mode by pressing the fan up/down speed switch that it always blows too hard.

I also assume (since you didn't mention it) that when you press the AUTO button and let the system choose its own fan speed that it always blows too hard.

The digital HVAC system uses an electronic control amplifier near the blower instead of a resistor pack, and that's been mentioned a few times on here as something that can fail. I can imagine a way that it could fail in the on position instead of being dead.

If you have a meter and know how to use it, I could talk you through looking at the voltages on the amplifier. Otherwise you could just put in a new one, but they aren't as cheap as the resistor packs.

It's a GM # 52494707, AC Delco #15-80186

$90 on parts4chevys.com or $94 at rockauto.com. You can also look locally at your favorite parts stores.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=340132&imageurl=http%3A//198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServ let%3Flanguagecd%3DEN%26countrycd%3DUS%26user%3DIn ternetUser%26mfgname%3D%26prodlinecd%3D%26acpartnb r%3D15-80186

the roadie
03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Don't yet know how, but I went down a path and discovered the part numbers in my previous post. But the consensus here on trailvoy is that the right part number for the control amplifier/module is 89018778.

You could do a search for 89018778 and read up more. Until I figure out where I went wrong, please ignore my previous post. I think my data was for the 2002 model only.

keeborts
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
for any canadians having this problem, partsource has the resistor for about $42 canadian plus applicable taxes. model numbers you can try is RU377 or RU 1070, i forgot which one it was.

keeborts
03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
i love trailvoy, this happened to me 2 days ago, fixed it yesterday and a blizzard came today...man oh man am i glad it was the resistor not the motor.

03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
My wife informed me yesterday her #5 speed went out. She reminded me when we got the TB #1 wasn't working (this was about a year ago). Anyway, she told me today #2 went out months ago. So, sign us up for a new resitor.

This place is great, thanks for all the info and the pictures on how to do this.

zeke36
03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
I have look through this site many times in the past, and finally joined. Will be ordering the resitor and using your guidance. :)

the roadie
03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't worry. It's actually only five days later. You have NOT been sleeping for a year, Rip. :D

zeke36
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Allright! I know I am getting older. I guess I am going to have to admit that I should be wearing my reading glasses.:ol

ColtraneXL
04-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks this sounds like it is the same issue I am having. I try this first.

edlazaro
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

After quickly reading the threads for blower resistor, I have determined that mine is blown(no fan at 1-3...only 4 and 5). I am not very handy but it seems like an easy replacement even for me so I want to give it a try.

I want to make sure I get the right part number. Anyone please jump in with the right number. I'll probaby just go to autozone.

2004 Envoy XL (manual control)

edlazaro
04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Is it 15415789?

The autozone part number is DR755

Duralast / Blower Motor Resistor
For your 2004 GMC Truck Envoy 4WD 4.2L SFI DOHC 6cyl
Price:
$27.99

zeke36
04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
This is the part I got from rockauto.com

ACDELCO 1581095 (15-81095) Blower Motor Resistor $ 34.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 34.79

I had needed to order an ignition switch as well, so that is why I went with ACDELCO since I wnated that OEM part for the ignition switch.

Installation was a breeze, especially with the details in this forum. The only thing I ran into is that I had to turn the resistor block around from the way the old was installed, as there is plastic post preventing me to install the block in the same way.
but this piece it doesn't matter as it is just protruding into the air vent and doesn't really matter the orientation of it.

MWatling
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I just did this install. Piece of cake. All 5 fan selections work awesome now. I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for your help. It made a mystery that was a bit of a head-scratcher (and potentially expensive at a 'stealership'), an easy 30 minute do-it-yourself project. Thanks guys!! Love this place...

;)

-Matt

Scarface5
04-09-2009, 04:54 AM
This is great, I just bought a 03 trailblazer and #5 on the control dial is not working (but 1 to 4 work just fine). Hopefully the resistor is the problem and I can find the part cheap and be able to change it. Again thanks alot.

the roadie
04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
If speed 5 is the only one out, look first at fuse #35 under the hood. It could be the root cause, and is cheaper than the resistor pack. Not as likely, but possible.

edlazaro
04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Many thanks to everyone who chimed on the replacement of the blower resistor. I just changed it and took 15 minutes. All my speeds work now. YAY!

poctai
04-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Just changed my blower motor resistor too. Being 6'4" though, and having large hands did not help in the least. It took me about half an hour, maybe 45 minutes with all the squeezing in. Funny thing was, I put the kick plate back on and thought I forgot one of the connections. I started the car and no ac at all. Got the kick plate back off and connected the last part and voila, works like a charm!!

The guide was really, really good. Thanks!!

Tree
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Add me to the success list.

Setting 1 and 2 dropped out last summer. 3 and 4 Saturday. Found this forum Sunday, picked up the part Monday, and Monday evening all speeds back on line. As others have said a little bit of tight quarters, but very straight forward. Especially with the pictures, very cool.

This forum rocks! Solved this problem, and also found a potential fix for my temperature reading on the rear view mirror. That ones be plaguing me for almost 7 years, never could figure out where it was.

Thanks!

Mark

rousch6
05-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow excellent write up. Mine has been broke on #5 for a couple of years and never thought about fixing it until now, THANKS!!!;)

CoyoteFireGuy
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I nominate for STICKY! :yes:

MajesticLT03
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
done :)

Diablo03
05-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Add me to the success list.

Setting 1 and 2 dropped out last summer. 3 and 4 Saturday. Found this forum Sunday, picked up the part Monday, and Monday evening all speeds back on line. As others have said a little bit of tight quarters, but very straight forward. Especially with the pictures, very cool.

This forum rocks! Solved this problem, and also found a potential fix for my temperature reading on the rear view mirror. That ones be plaguing me for almost 7 years, never could figure out where it was.

Thanks!

Mark

Wow excellent write up. Mine has been broke on #5 for a couple of years and never thought about fixing it until now, THANKS!!!;)

good to hear we could help out some new faces

I nominate for STICKY! :yes:

i nominate fro an ARTICLE

XSquid
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Have a 2006 Envoy Denali with the V8, originally lost all the speeds except #1, read thru the whole thread on replacement (great work), picked up the new resistor, pulled everything out in about 5 minutes, ready to install and noticed the original wiring harness has only 3 connectors (BATT/INPUT/GRND) the new part has the wide pin connector as depicted in the thread. Is there some sort of adapter I need to get? did some digging around online and don't see the one I have that is installed.

Sadly I put the resistor back in, hooked everything back up, now mister fan doesn't even come on..

any clues?

thanks

the roadie
05-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Wish you'd posted first to make sure you were getting the right part. Almost ALL of these discussions are about the manual/analog HVAC control that has five discrete fan speeds.

You (I assume as the high end Denali) and the upper trim level vehicles, have the digital controls where the fan has a smooth speed control that uses a solid state module instead of a resistor module. You just have to buy the more expensive (naturally) module. Unless you've accidentally blown under hood fuse #35, that takes out all speeds.

Your part number is AC Delco, GM#15-80906 if your module is labeled 52416100.

It may also be an earlier design, ACDelco #15-80567, GM #89018778 for modules labeled 52413530 OR 52409643

XSquid
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
That's what I get for 'lurking', I have the 52413530 so I'll go exchange the one I have for the part you referenced. Interesting though, most of the sites and even a few of the shops I stopped at all recommended the same part (even when given the VIN# & descriptors). At least the lil lady will be happy that her 'rig' will keep her hair happy.. Many Thanx.

the roadie
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
...Interesting though, most of the sites and even a few of the shops I stopped at all recommended the same part (even when given the VIN# & descriptors). ...The collective wisdom of trailvoy wins again! :thumbsup:

XSquid
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
New AC-DELCO part replaced in about 15 minutes, start to finish... many thanks. Should you ever find yourself off road with your nuclear powered submarine and the 3000PSI hydraulics or 4500 PSI air system is giving you a problem? reach out.

thanx. again.

:D

srtoperator
05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Just fixed mine and I have to say that this forum has saved me a TON!! Thanks!!:hail:

the roadie
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Glad to be of service!

Should you ever find yourself off road with your nuclear powered ...

Now that you mention it, this power unit of mine needs a tune-up, and Rockauto was out of the moderator rods.

http://www.outatime.it/public/40-mr_fusion.jpg

yyzcygnus
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Is it 15415789?

The autozone part number is DR755

Duralast / Blower Motor Resistor
For your 2004 GMC Truck Envoy 4WD 4.2L SFI DOHC 6cyl
Price:
$27.99

Hi all, I just want to confirm that this fixed my 2003 Trailblazer.

For years I have not had setting 1 work. Then 1-3 shot last week or so.

Bought the part and it took ~ 20 minutes to install. Pain to reach! but I got it!

Infinite thank-yous to the people who posted information and pictures.

the roadie
05-22-2009, 06:47 PM
I continue to be amazed that folks run around for any length of time with something dead on their vehicles and DON'T find trailvoy in a quick search. Anyway, glad you're up now. Welcome!

97tntcobra
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
ok my first post and its a problem lol!! Ok so i read this thread and checked a few thing finally seemed like it was a blower motor but when i moved the resistor around the blower started working so reinstalled every thing and its working great. Well then i smelt somthin so i shut it all off and tryed to unplut the harness from the resistor and it was stuck. i finally got it off and the black wire had melted onto the prong on the resistor. Any ideas what caused this 06 tbss

the roadie
05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, it's the classic high resistance connector that causes self-heating, and then it all gets worse and worse until you end up having to solder it together or buy a new connector with a few inches of wire to splice it in.

Get somebody with electrical repair experience to fix this for you so it won't happen again. It happens a lot.

97tntcobra
05-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Yes, it's the classic high resistance connector that causes self-heating, and then it all gets worse and worse until you end up having to solder it together or buy a new connector with a few inches of wire to splice it in.

Get somebody with electrical repair experience to fix this for you so it won't happen again. It happens a lot.so it was the connector or the resistor caused it? Where can i get the connector do you have apart#

Blk_beauty04
06-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for this write up and pictures. I finally got around to replacing the blower motor resistor after approximately 2-3 years of only having fan speeds 4 and 5. It would have went longer if I had not researched on TrailVoy.com :bonk:

It's great to have fan speeds 1-2-3 4-5 again!!! :woot:

CAPIII
06-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Awesome post - With the pics I can now figure out how to take off the connector catch that goes into the actual blower motor. Thanks!!

m_collinsworth
07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Wish you'd posted first to make sure you were getting the right part. Almost ALL of these discussions are about the manual/analog HVAC control that has five discrete fan speeds.
..... You just have to buy the more expensive (naturally) module. Unless you've accidentally blown under hood fuse #35, that takes out all speeds.
I have the 2006 SLE Envoy and lost all blower speeds this week. I checked the fuses that control the blower, HVAC1 and 2 on both left and right sides (dual climate controls), and they are fine. Is there any way to test the blower motor to be sure, or test the resistor?

the roadie
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Is there any way to test the blower motor to be sure, or test the resistor?Testing the blower is easy. All it takes is 12V. Make a couple of long jumper wires to go to the battery. But having to ask how to test the blower makes me worry you're not up for the second paragraph.

Testing the resistor pack would require a meter and knowing how to use it. The schematic has been posted, but I could do it again if you haven't found it. Do you troubleshoot electrical things to the component level?

rjs985
07-02-2009, 06:09 AM
I had the same problem in my 2003 TB LS. I apreciated the tool list and pics. The part cost about $35 from Napa and it only took around 20 minutes.

Thanks!

nfm322
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Lost setting 5 looked it up here found the help I needed took 15 min to do the job thanks again

blktblazer04
07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Lost setting 5 looked it up here found the help I needed took 15 min to do the job thanks again

same thing happened to me. herd that usually ppl only have 5 and nothing else. prolly gonna change it out next week

bigdraz
07-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the great guide:thx , it helped pinpoint my exact problem.

I took a few photos and posted on a different thread but wanted to include here
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22113&page=4

Simple repair and glad to have the A/C back and working!

jdkopin
07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I just lost my ac today, so I came here and found this article to be more than helpful. My research reflected my local parts store (Advance) has AC Delco part number 15-81095 for $45.99 which will replace OEM. The pictures provide the rest of the story. I figure I just saved myself about $600 in here. Thanks!:yes::):thx

jdkopin
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
My A/c just went out today with position 4 going out a couple of months ago. The pictures and simple directions just saved me about $600. I found the Blower Motor Resistor at local Advance Auto Parts store (AC Delco #15-81095) Love this site!:thx:thumbsup::)

cmb13
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I just replaced mine.

Interestingly, all 5 speeds blew at once. It smelled as though something were burning. I read about this fix here and bought the new Blower Motor Resistor, unsure of whether or not it would work.

Getting the wiring harness out of the resistor was difficult - I had to pry and cut the old resistor. Turns out it's because the prongs were rusted and the harness melted. Two of the slots were damaged by heat. The new one, nonetheless, plugs right in and the fan works. The only speed that does not work is 5. I'll bet the connector to this speed is damaged, and I'll bet that if I got a new wiring harness it would work.

Just to report.

Thanks

Scooter1052
07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
that help me so much my blower resistance switch went out and I even asked the dealer where to look...Luckily with my mechanical expertise I located it and fixed it.!

Thanks!

kkoorndyk
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
This thread has been awesome. Many thanks!

I have a 2003 Envoy SLT with the climate control. The part under the dash has 52495874 on it. On gmpartsdirect.com, they show 52494707, AC Delco 1580186 as the part for this truck.

Even after reading this and another thread on these forums, I ordered that part from gmpartsdirect.com. Now I'm afraid I may have ordered the wrong part. It's sounding like I need GM #89018778, AC Delco #1580567 instead? That's what's showing up on rockauto.com.

The 1580186 part arrived today, but the wife has the truck so I haven't checked it out yet.

Can anyone confirm whether the 1580186 part will work with this truck?

the roadie
07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
1580186 is shown for 2002 at compnine.com, and 1580567 for 2004 and beyond. Since the control circuit is the same, I think it's just a normal redesign for either saving $ or a reliability improvement. What you bought should work, but might not be the absolute best possible part. Try it.

kkoorndyk
07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
1580186 is shown for 2002 at compnine.com, and 1580567 for 2004 and beyond. Since the control circuit is the same, I think it's just a normal redesign for either saving $ or a reliability improvement. What you bought should work, but might not be the absolute best possible part. Try it.

Oh wow! compnine.com is awesome! Thanks for that.

richy3
08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks a bunch,did this repair this morning. I have a 2002 envoy and 15 minutes later i had all speeds back on my motor. You sure made it easy. Wife is happy to, doesn't mess her hair up having to use #5 setting,lol. Thanks again.:hail::hail::hail:

calcoll4
08-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info!, will this fix the max position too? Art

spicyman
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I have the same problem, where can i get the resester and do you know how much $

DSMmaniac_Big_O
08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I too would like to give a big thanks to the TrailVoy community.

This write up along with everyone's input(i.e. part numbers and prices) is
everything you need to get the job done. Start to finish was about 15 minutes,
I didn't even have to remove the glove box. Everything just came apart and
went back together smoothly. It's been a couple of weeks now, I just forgot to post up.

It's threads like this and this community, that told me, buy a TrailBlazer.

the roadie
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
I have the same problem, where can i get the resester and do you know how much $The information is in THIS THREAD. Well, the estimated price is in the thread with the part number. Just call your local parts stores and ask what the price is. Whatever it is, it will be less than the dealers.

Thanks for the info!, will this fix the max position too? ArtAs long as it's not a simple blown fuse. One fuse is only used for speed 5. Underhood fuse #35.

calcoll4
08-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Spicyman and Sticky

Thank you! Just one great reason to keep my Envoy which my wife loves!

calcoll4
08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Most Autozone stores stock the resistor pack DR 755 for $27.99+tx. Picked up one this PM,, installed it in less than 10 minutes. Thanks for the great photos! :hail:

racermpn
08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
My five just went out today. But when ya'lls went out did you smell something like burnt wires through the air ducks??? After I brought it back home, thats when I noticed 5 wasn't working. I drove it around for 20 minutes on 4 and never smelt burnt again. I hope this is the problem

the roadie
08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
A good percentage of folks also have burnt harnesses, and there are threads where the replacement connectors with pigtails are discussed. They usually cost more than the stupid resistor pack, though. You'll see when you get to yours whether it's fried.

shaggy474
08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the information about blower motor resistor. I have a 2002. I have been getting the service 4wd light on now and then and usually if you shut the engine off and then on again it would go away. Yesterday it came on and I restarted the engin only to have it come back on and the blower to stop working. The blower never worked on 5 but 1-4 were fine. Now all speeds are dead. I checked the motor and it runs fine when jumped. I replaced the resistor and still nothing. I get less than 200 mV out of both the old resistor and the new. I checked and I have 14 V on the red and black of the 7 wire harnes and all fuses are good. I have seen other threads that say they two systems are not related...any ideas? Would this maybe be the ignition switch? Any help would be great...thanks again for your forum, Tim

Sorry I did also inspect the wiring...everything is clean and bright...no signs of melting insulation or plugs...even took the dash off and checked the switch...seemed to be in good condition...anyone have the voltages for all 7 wires of the resistor harness?

the roadie
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Good troubleshooting so far. When you say you have 14V, that's BETWEEN the red and the black? Black should be a good ground. Can you confirm the black wire at the motor is a good ground when plugged in?

The red is fed from fuse 35 under the hood, and if your switch is on speed 5, then the orange harness wire should have 12V , and then the purple wire going to the motor should also.

The wires from the control module have 12 V on them as follows:

speed 1: yellow
2: tan
3: light blue
4: purple
5: orange

If they don't, I'd suspect fuse #44 in the rear fuse block. Can you confirm it has 12V on each side when plugged in, not just that it has zero resistance?

Other things would be dead if the ignition switch was bad.

The 4WD system (my specialty) is indeed connected to the same ignition switch RUN bus as the HVAC system. As well as the brake lights. If it's gone flaky, then you should see no voltage on rear fuse 44, and the brake lights (rear fuse 51) will also be dead.

But the 4WD problem is likely to be a dirty 4WD mode switch (if you don't exercise the switch regularly to keep the contacts clean). When you have the Service 4WD light on, what is displayed on the 4WD mode switch? Any of the mode lights on, or are they all dark? When it works OK, and you change through the modes, can you hear the two separate motors doing their thing underneath the vehicle? One the front axle actuator and the other the transfer case encoder motor?

shaggy474
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
The indicator lights are showing 2WD...any attempt to change them just blinks the other selection...but it will not lock in...I do think I hear the motors...just wont lock into the new selection....I will check those fuses...but I could not get more than 200 mV on the purple no matter what setting my fan was set too...maybe a bad new resister...I will go check the fuses voltage and be right back...Thank you for your time, Tim

the roadie
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
To troubleshoot the TCCM issue, you'll have to get at the module above the driver's left knee and measure some voltages while it's trying to change modes.

On the resistor issue, I don't think I've heard of a DOA replacement ever. Check the voltages going INTO it on the five speed wires.

shaggy474
08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok it seems that 44 has no voltage to either side of the fuse...this tells us something....I just am not sure what....lol

It seems that the whole cluster in that section is without power...including 51 as you said. So now it sounds maybe more like the ignition switch...

the roadie
08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
It is undoubtedly the ignition switch. Good reason to check one's brake lights regularly also.

Cheap part available in the aftermarket parts stores.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=50141

shaggy474
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Well I confirmed again...no voltage to those 4 fuses...but my brake lights still light properly...not sure how that is working but I will replace the ignition and see what happends..Thanks again for your help!

the roadie
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Aha! I dug deeper, and the fuse labeled BRAKE (#51) is one of three that feeds to the ABS controller, not the brake lights!

I should have known better, since I'd traced the brake LIGHT circuits a dozen times for people, and they're fed from the CONSTANT 12V bus, not switched by the ignition switch! So anytime you step on the brake pedal, even with the keys out of the ignition, you get brake lights.

Dumb Roadie. Sorry for the misdirection. Erase, erase, erase.... :duh: :sadcry:

shaggy474
08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
The ignition switch did the trick. Everything is back to normal...so in summary the blower, 4wd, abs and cruise control were all out because of the faulty switch. Total cost $60 for the resistor and ignition switch. Let the dealer cry for a change...lol. Thanks again for all your help, Tim:woot:

04_t_b
08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Did this tonight. Thanks for the instructions!! definitely couldn't have done it without them!

I got online the other day to try to find an estimate of what this would cost for the dealer to fix and stumbled upon this web site and absolutely love it! I've never consider trying to fix anything with my car myself and since finding this website, have replaced this resistor and have two other projects planned! thanks for all the helpful how to's and posts!!

kkoorndyk
08-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Just wanted to respond to this. The 1580186 is working fine in our 2003 Envoy and the wife is happy to have her blower fan back.

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, especially The Roadie!

chrisrosenb
08-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the helpful information.
I got mine changed this morning.:thumbsup:

dantrap
08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Many Thanks Guys, Changed mine this morning. Took me longer to find the tools in my box than to do the switch out. :thumbsup:

pfugly
08-16-2009, 05:08 PM
changed mine out today, went to my local autozone, bought the last resistor in stock (this is after ordering the wrong part from gmpartsdirect. trying to get them to cancel that order before its filled or shipped. even tho their site days they dont cancel orders.

thanks to the OP for the write up, came in very handy on this 95 degree day.

stonescave
08-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Well first I know this is not a sierra forum but the principle is the same. My Sierra had an intermittent blower motor and finally quit working all together. I have located the control module and would like t ask if this module would in fact cause an intermittent problem then quit all together or do I need to look at the motor? I ohmed the motor and read 25 ohms. any help would be great with this issue. The Control module i have is also 52409643

Andy

the roadie
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
The true test of the motor is to hook 12V to it and see how it spins. If it's the resistor pack, typically they lose one or more speeds, but the others work OK. If it's the overloaded and overheated pins in the connector at the resistor pack, those typically go intermittent, and wiggling helps for a while. Fuses might also be intermittent, and get better if you replug them.

Have you taken the resistor pack out to inspect the connector yet?

stonescave
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
yes I have... I have the resistor pack on my desk as we speak and this one has the purple and black wire on it. I have 14v in and 0 out. when I turn the climate control on to allow the fan to be on. Update on fix. I applied 12v to fan and It worked Fan runs. Next test it to buy a new MOSFET and replace it in the circuit and see if that works. If so $4.95 fix. I will keep this updated.

GMfever
08-17-2009, 07:18 PM
After reading this thread I want to run this by you good folks in the know first before I start tearing into things. Driving down the road today and lost the A/C to the drivers and passenger area completely. It was working great before that.

It is a 2002 Envoy XL with Automatic Dual Zone digital option.

I noticed there is still A/C going to the rear 4 vents when I turn on the rear A/C with the rear blower still working and the A/C unit cooling and kicking on/off as it should.

I checked the #20 cooling fan, #35 blower motor, #45 cooling fan and some other fuse's not listed on my fuse block diagram since I dont have a clue what I needed to check. I then checked the rear under seat fuse block #13, #36,#39,#44, didn't see anything blown either.

So my question is do I check the digital blower resistor pack being it all went at once or should I go straight to the fan blower motor? Never a problem with A/C till today. Thanks for your input all before I get started.

the roadie
08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't start swapping stuff unless you're desperate. Those are the right fuses.

The issue could be the blower motor, the speed control module (not a resistor pack on the digital systems, but a more expensive solid state unit), less likely the control head, or most likely the wiring harness that brings 12V to the speed module.

If you drop the glove box down and fiddle with the wires down there, can you make it come back on? If so, you might just have an overheated and oxidized connector pin, or one that got so hot it melted out the side of the connector body. That's what I had. Go look first, and see if you can see heat damaged insulation or a connector body.

To reassure you it's not the blower motor itself, just remove its connector and jump 12V to it. The black wire is ground, but you can confirm that with a meter.

GMfever
08-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for info. Will update what I find later in the week when I find time to dig in and check further.

Just glad to find this thread because I was looking all over for the blower itself under the hood and under the dash without removing anything (quick look see) and was lost.

GMfever
08-18-2009, 03:54 PM

So my question is do I check the digital blower control module being it all went at once or should I go straight to the fan blower motor? Never a problem with A/C till today. Thanks for your input all before I get started.

The issue could be the blower motor, the speed control module (not a resistor pack on the digital systems, but a more expensive solid state unit), less likely the control head, or most likely the wiring harness that brings 12V to the speed module.

If you drop the glove box down and fiddle with the wires down there, can you make it come back on? If so, you might just have an overheated and oxidized connector pin, or one that got so hot it melted out the side of the connector body. That's what I had. Go look first, and see if you can see heat damaged insulation or a connector body.

To reassure you it's not the blower motor itself, just remove its connector and jump 12V to it. The black wire is ground, but you can confirm that with a meter.

Check it out today. You could see where it was overheating on the connector on the black wire once it was removed from the blower control module. I pulled the blower control module and the male connector was lose on the circuit board and had overheating issues around it too.

I put everything back together (because I couldn't find part local) and was able to get everything to work to check blower etc anyways.

So where do I go online to find the blower control module for the automatic dual zone digital option vehicles?

Thanks to OP also for the pics :thumbsup:.

the roadie
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Either of these parts should work
ACDelco
1580186 (older design)
1580567 (2004+ design)

Replaces GM Part #: 93803636,89018778,52495874
Rockauto, other parts stores should have them. Often on Ebay.

GMfever
08-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Just trying to make sure on this (since they are not returnable). I have a 2002 and this part says for 2003 and up. So is it the same part I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/03-04-GMC-Envoy-XL-AC-Blower-Motor-Control-Module_W0QQitemZ310157988204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4836db516 c&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Thanks for all the help.

the roadie
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
It's backwards compatible, yes.

And only $70 at Rockauto:

ACDELCO Part # 1580567
{replaces 93803636 #1572909, 52495874, 89018778, 93803636}

GMfever
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:, Rockauto $77.90 total shipped.

the roadie
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
If I only had a nickel for every dollar I save people. ..... ;)

Your ability to avoid being ripped off by greedy mechanics is all the satisfaction I need. :woohoo:

polarhooah
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
hi i am having quite the issue i went to replace the resistor in my 03 trailblazer and it had a 3-pin pigtail. the issue i have is the new one i bought is a 7-pin pigtail. I also bought the 7-pin pigtail that went with it but do not know how to wire it to the older 3-pin thats actually on my trailblazer. i have been to every parts store in town and no one understands why mine has a three pin when there system shows seven

the roadie
08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Welcome polarhooah. You don't have the older 3-pin system, you have the superior 3-pin system, the one used by the DIGITAL automatic control system. You don't need a 7-pin resistor pack or a 7-pin harness. Those are only for the manual, analog control system.

You need the solid state blower speed control module ACDELCO Part # 1580567 as I posted a couple of posts back. Sorry it's more expensive.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=668876&imageurl=http%3A//198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServ let%3Flanguagecd%3DEN%26countrycd%3DUS%26user%3DIn ternetUser%26mfgname%3D%26prodlinecd%3D%26acpartnb r%3D15-80567

stonescave
08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I replaced the $4.95 part and so far so good. this is on a 2005 GMC sierra with climate control and the Blower control module with the Purple and black wires on it.

the roadie
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Ahhhh, a COMPONENT-level fix by somebody who knows their way around a soldering iron. Very cool! :hail: Any chance you have the FET data and any pics of the module apart? Somebody should start a repair service for these if it's the FET and not PCB damage taking them out. $5 versus $70 is a no-brainer.

stonescave
08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
This is the digikey part number IRFBA1405PPBF bear in mind this is the lead free (better for the trashcan) component the leaded component has a 73 day back order. I applied the 12v to the fan motor and the fan worked I measured the 12v into the control module and nothing out. Removed the old component easy to spot its the big one with the red heat grease on it. 3 legs soldered the new one in put it all back together and nice cold days are back again!!!!

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1021158-mosfet-n-ch-55v-174a-super-220-irfba1405ppbf.html

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1021158-mosfet-n-ch-55v-174a-super-220-irfba1405ppbf.html

stonescave
08-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Well after a nice evening of A/C I regret to inform you that the system now runs full time :( I have to pull fuses.. With that in mind, I am still looking to cut a few dollars off of the cost of the fix so I am still looking. I will try to keep this post updated.

Bay Wolf
08-20-2009, 12:23 PM
We bought a used 2003 TB recently, knowing it had no fan at speed 1. We asked the dealership about repairing that, in addition to a couple of other things I could also do myself, as an implied warranty item. This was the one thing they wouldn't cover.

They wanted $319 for a new resistor pack ($62), a new connector ($97), and 2 hrs labor ($160).

$28 at AutoZone and 20 minutes of my time fixed it, thanks to this site.

stonescave
08-20-2009, 01:09 PM
That a boy... They want bailout money, I say we just help each other out spending $60 is alot better than $400. I just went to the JY and picked up my module for $50 hope i can get through the summer with it. Not really sure what happened with the component lvl fix but the Fan is getting straight 12v now... Damn those engineers.. I will keep looking at it though. I am sure there isnt more than about $20.00 worth of electronics in that.

GMfever
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Curiosity got the best of me. I called the dealership in town to see how much the digital control module was for my dual climate automatic a/c unit that I just paid $77.90 shipped to my door. The dealership wanted $149 + 7.25% tax and also had to order the part in.

Thank goodness for this site . :woohoo:

GMfever
08-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Either of these parts should work
ACDelco
1580186 (older design)
1580567 (2004+ design)

Replaces GM Part #: 93803636,89018778,52495874
Rockauto, other parts stores should have them. Often on Ebay.

Just trying to make sure on this (since they are not returnable). I have a 2002 and this part says for 2003 and up. So is it the same part I need?

It's backwards compatible, yes.

And only $70 at Rockauto:

ACDELCO Part # 1580567
{replaces 93803636 #1572909, 52495874, 89018778, 93803636}

Just a update with pics. The one on the left is out of my 2002 and the one on the right is the new one listed for 2003 - 2006. Its is a direct bolt up and replacement just like roadie says.

Was a little worried when it looked half the size and had 2 different bolt patterns. But works perfect. Here are 2 pics to compare 2002 on left 2003 and up on right.

the roadie
08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
They wanted $319 for a new resistor pack ($62), a new connector ($97), and 2 hrs labor ($160).

$28 at AutoZone and 20 minutes of my time fixed it, thanks to this site.

The dealership wanted $149 + 7.25% tax and also had to order the part in.

Do the dealers just MAKE THIS STUFF UP to amuse and annoy us? All I can think of is that ripping us off works so seldom nowadays that they have to take the true rubes for everything possible.

If only they could deal with us fairly, we might trust our vehicles more often with them.

Instead of the ludicrous stories about insane ABOVE-MSRP pricing, labor hours from the book-of-lies, and incompetent troubleshooting that we archive here.

morlock13
08-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you sooo much !!! Part was 45.00 at Advanced auto (ac delco) and took less than 10 min to install.

tonertim
09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I purchased a replacement from AutoZone which was in stock!!! Cost $27.99, P/N DR755 for my 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer. I noticed that the plug got a little hot at pin G. I cleaned up the connector all works great. Total time was 25 minutes + trip to AutoZone.

djdavid60
09-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm new to the forum. Thanks for posting such great information. I have an 03 Trailblazer LT. My #1 fan position died, then #2, then #3, then #4. Last week #5 finally died. I googled the problem and found a couple other forums that recommended replacing the control module. I was just about to order the control module, but started thinking about it and it didn't make sense, because the controller obviously was working because I could turn on the air and blow cold air from the rear vents and cold air would come through the front vents when the vehicle was moving. I'm really glad I found this forum before I ordered the control module. I ordered the resistor today, so I will post results after I get it installed. Thanks again for taking the time to post the procedure and pictures. Gotta love the internet!

djdavid60
09-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Got the resistor today. Put it in durung my lunch break. Problem fixed! Thanks to this thread, it took about 10 minutes. Thanks everyone!

JokersWild
09-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi, I saw your post and was having the same trouble with my 2002 traiblazer with the blower working intermittently on several settings and also it will not switch between defroster,heater,and vents. I replaced the resistor pack and disconnected the battery, all blower settings now work but the A/C and the re-circulate will not come on??? and it's even worse now trying to switch between heater and vents, the air does not seem to blow out of anywhere and no matter what setting you try it does not switch...Please help
Thanks!!!

the roadie
09-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Sorry for your problems. By disconnecting the battery (which wasn't strictly required or recommended for this sort of repair), you accidentally triggered another failure, of the airflow mode actuator. It's a misdesigned part that many owners are getting failures of after they replace the battery for the first time, or disconnect it, or discharge it and have to get a jump start.

That triggers an actuator recalibration process that damages some weak ones. Sometimes, they come back to life after another 5-minute battery disconnection. Important: When you reconnect the battery, turn the ignition switch to run but don't start the engine. Don't touch anything, especially HVAC controls, for 90 seconds. See if you can hear the actuators moving about inside the dash. Then try moving the mode control and see if the airflow changes.

More reading:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=40235

JokersWild
09-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. After I posted I thought about the battery and disconnected it again although I did not follow your procedure to re-connect. It did work. Now all the blower settings work as well as the re-circulate. I did manage to get the air to blow out of the vents but it still does not switch properly or at all. I do hear a lot of clicking which has been going on for awhile. I suspect I have two problems. The resistor pack and I believe I need to replace the actutator door? Do you think this is my next step?
Thanks!!!

the roadie
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I do hear a lot of clicking which has been going on for awhile.I really must remember to ask people: "IS THAT ALL YOU'VE NOTICED? ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS BEFORE WE GET TO THE DIAGNOSIS?" ;) If you had included that at first you could be out buying your parts now to fix it. :yes: I suspect I have two problems. The resistor pack and I believe I need to replace the actutator door? Do you think this is my next step?Not the door. The actuator that MOVES the airflow door. :tiphat

JokersWild
09-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Ok that's what I was afraid of...After doing more reading on the site it looks I would need to make your tool, and I have that post saved. It also looks like I could have the dealer do it for about $155 per another post. Does this sound correct to you? Would I need to remove just the lower part of the dash under the steering wheel or is it more complicated than that? As far as a part number it looks like it may be 89018539 but I havn't checked that with the dealer yet. It does show as an actuator at parts4chevys.com for $40 I think.
I really appriciate your help.

Woodbag
09-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Awesome thread guys!!

Lost all fan speeds, and the 7 pin connector was melted into the resistor. I ordrered the resistor from Autozone for $30 tax included and NAPA carries the repair harness Item#: ECHEC397 Price: $35.99. Hope that helps anyone who needs the harness. Thanks guys, awesome forum! :tiphat

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=ECH&PartNumber=EC397&Description=Blower+Motor+Resistor+Connector

gmjim
09-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the great pics and instructions. This saved me a great bit of time and head scratching, I'm sure.

notnodak
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Is there a resistor pack like this in my sons 91 Chevy Silvorado? His dash control was replaced just before he got it but some speeds don't work and it shuts of sometimes.

the roadie
09-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I would click HERE (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=silverado+forums)to find out.

notnodak
09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks. You must get real tired of answering questions like that. I get lazy sometimes.

Trailblazerfans
10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks this is what I need, now we just need to order the part so the handy man of the house can get it fixed.

Envoyguy05
10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I just had my fan stop working .

I brought it to the dealer (gmpp) to find that it is common for the connector to melt which shorted out the resistor and blew the fuse.

So it may not just be the resistor that went bad.

the roadie
10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Agreed. But a new pigtail is typically less than the $100 deductible on many warranty plans. Did they soak you for that finding? :worried: Or was it free? :yes:

Envoyguy05
10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Agreed. But a new pigtail is typically less than the $100 deductible on many warranty plans. Did they soak you for that finding? :worried: Or was it free? :yes:

Free! $0 deductable

jimmyk
10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

My blower just went out. Did a quick search and this thread came up. WOW - I didn't know this forum existed. Now that my Envoy is getting old, this place will be a blessing!

To my immediate issue, my blower started vibrating and making a loud whine. Now it's dead, in Auto or Manual in any speed.

Should I just get another blower, or do I need to check a few other things?

Thanks again all!!!

thewolftc
10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for posting such great pics. Been dealing with a bad blower in my wifes car for 12 months and didn't know what to do. Mechanics said needed new blower motor and probably computer....glad I didn't fix it with them.....of course Momma has been complaining for awhile now and if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!! So I figured I better fix it before winter...which is starting for us already.

Bought the part for my 2004 Envoy at Autozone, part number DR755. Cost $27.99. 15 minutes to get it installed and voila!!! (5 minutes of contortion work to get my body under that dash to see it):thx...LOL

Awesome stuff and thanks again!

the roadie
10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
To my immediate issue, my blower started vibrating and making a loud whine. Now it's dead, in Auto or Manual in any speed.Drop it out of the plenum first to check for a mouse/rats nest. If not that, see if the impeller spins freely. Jump 12V to it and see if it spins. If not, it's bad. If it spins, check the wiring harness carefully for scorch/overheating evidence. Could also be the resistor pack, as so many other failures are traced to. But with your history, you're right to look at the blower first.

thewolftc
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Guys,
I know this question is not for an Envoy but, it seems like this thread was so helpful with the fan motors etc I thought I would give it a try.
I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban with dual climate control and a variable speed electronic fan switch that you just push up or down to increse speed. The fan works FINE.
The challenge is this:
On the drivers side the heat/cold is not adjusting properly. I may have to turn it up to 90 degrees for 15 minutes and maybe the heat will come out of it. While on my wifes side she has full temperature control up and down and it immediately adjusts. The heat on my side is so indiscriminate, I never know when I will get heat or cold. My mechanic said it was a thermostat wihout looking at it, but I don't think he's right because the passenger side works fine. (Unless they started putting 2 thermostats in and I missed that one...LOL)

With winter coming on I need to get the heat working on my side...lol
The rear heat system works fine, it's just the drivers side is out of whack...
Any ideas from such a great group of people?:confused:

AnotherHickey
10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I had the same part die on our Dodge Durango. Dealer wanted almost $300 to fix it. $20 part from them and I was up and running. :)

thewolftc
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I had the same part die on our Dodge Durango. Dealer wanted almost $300 to fix it. $20 part from them and I was up and running. :)

Are you speaking of the blower motor resistor or the suburban question just posted?
Thanks

AnotherHickey
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Are you speaking of the blower motor resistor or the suburban question just posted?
Thanks

Blower motor resistor.

the roadie
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
On the drivers side the heat/cold is not adjusting properly.Temp actuator.

A quick look on compnine shows this, but I'm not familiar with the Suburban RPO codes. Are you SURE there isn't a good full-size truck forum for this question? Hate to give you the wrong part number.

ACDelco #15-72971
$140 at rockauto.com

http://www.compnine.com/largeimg/041022TC09-676.gif

thewolftc
10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks roadie, I appreciate the help.. It sounds like the right name for the part but I wish I knew what part the picture was pointing at...LOL

I will do a serach for some full size truck forums and see what I can find. At least you pointed me in teh right direction. For all I know this site might have a full size truck forum.lol...haven't looked everywhere yet.

If it is the temp actuator, do you have an idea of what the number is that the schematic is pointing at for me?

jimmyk
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I took your advice and tried all the things you pointed out. Turned out that the fan was full of junk. I cleaned it out, verified voltages, clicked the hvac on and the fan started spinning in my hand. Put everything back together and you guys saved my a bundle. Thanks!!!

Where is the blower's input to see if it's clogged too?

James.

AnotherHickey
10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
What kind of junk was it filled with jimmyk? Leaves? Dirt?

jimmyk
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, leaves mostly.

Wex
10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I replaced my resistor (BR281 from Napa) because the #5 setting wouldn't work. That fixed it but a day later it is now not working again. Any ideas to what the problem is. All the other settings work fine.

Jeff

hello all. had my #5 speed go out as well. first thing i did was go behind the glovebox and push together every connection. worked for about an hour. saw the awesome thread on here and got the resistor pack at autozone for $28. Plugged it in, turned it on and still no #5. pressed the 7 wire connector in again and worked for about a minute. took everything apart again and inspected the 7 wire harness. saw the last (or first connection can't remember) was burned all to heck. used a pocketknife to scrape all the melted muck out and still no luck. so now I am wondering...

I can get the new harness for mentioned in this thread for $70 at napa. but where do the loose wires hook up to? And most important of all, will it all simply just burn up again?

Thanks

the roadie
10-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I can get the new harness for mentioned in this thread for $70 at napa. but where do the loose wires hook up to? And most important of all, will it all simply just burn up again?There are much cheaper sources than NAPA for that harness. Just read this thread and search. You cut off the existing harness, and the loose wires should be soldered to the existing harness and protected with heatshrink tubing. Crimp connectors are not so reliable. Do them one at a time so you preserve the proper connections.

Aftermarket harnesses are less likely to burn up from self-generated heat over time, but there's no guarantees. GM or Delphi designers underdesigned this system for sure. Saved themselves a buck, cost us each $100 as the vehicles age.

actionhank99
10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
After reading this thread I want to run this by you good folks in the know first before I start tearing into things. Driving down the road today and lost the A/C to the drivers and passenger area completely. It was working great before that.

I noticed there is still A/C going to the rear 4 vents when I turn on the rear A/C with the rear blower still working and the A/C unit cooling and kicking on/off as it should.

I checked the #20 cooling fan, #35 blower motor, #45 cooling fan and some other fuse's not listed on my fuse block diagram since I dont have a clue what I needed to check. I then checked the rear under seat fuse block #13, #36,#39,#44, didn't see anything blown either.

So my question is do I check the digital blower resistor pack being it all went at once or should I go straight to the fan blower motor? Never a problem with A/C till today. Thanks for your input all before I get started.

OK, i have no display on the front climate control, when i hit a button on the rear display it says off. Checked all fuses, swapped with similar rated fuses but nothing. Truck is an 08 tbss 3ss

thanks in advance

mark

mykcrawford
10-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Another successful module installation here. Thanks guys!

jaylind
10-16-2009, 06:06 PM
hello all. had my #5 speed go out as well. first thing i did was go behind the glovebox and push together every connection. worked for about an hour. saw the awesome thread on here and got the resistor pack at autozone for $28. Plugged it in, turned it on and still no #5. pressed the 7 wire connector in again and worked for about a minute. took everything apart again and inspected the 7 wire harness. saw the last (or first connection can't remember) was burned all to heck. used a pocketknife to scrape all the melted muck out and still no luck. so now I am wondering...

I can get the new harness for mentioned in this thread for $70 at napa. but where do the loose wires hook up to? And most important of all, will it all simply just burn up again?

Thanks

Thanks for this post. I was about to go buy the part I read this and went out to the Truck and found this. Red wire at the tip has melted

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/jaylind1/HVAC%20wire/c8ab79a9.jpg

So now I am going to pull this apart and see if I can clean it. but the question remains. Why did this happen? When it worked I used the #5 99% of the time so maybe that is why? I think I will clean it then plug it back in and keep an eye on it and make sure it does not do it again.

the roadie
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
They designed it poorly to handle the inevitable oxidation and thermal expansion/contraction over time. Cold/hot/cold/hot. Lather, rinse, repeat. Sooner or later you get a tiny bit of resistance. And then power that used to go 99% to the motor now goes 5% to the connector contact and 95% to the motor, and the contact heats up. Then it's 10%/90%, then 20%/80%, and then the insulation melts and perhaps the connector body and then the contacts spring apart and nothing works.

Gold plated contacts don't have this issue. ;)

trapperj
10-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi, Just bought a replacement resistor pack for my TB. It cost me $39.00. The company that made this one is BWD and the part number is RU1070. Thank you for the person who detailed how to change it. The photos were a real help. Hope this info can help out someone else.

alaskalad
10-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I know this is an old thread but thanks for the info.:thx

FYI: I just orderred the resistor for $35.59 from Amazon and there is currently free shipping in the States. Even to Alaska! :woot: Loca NAPA store wanted $58 + $25 or 30 for shipping.

fireindahole410
10-19-2009, 10:07 PM
thank you soo much for you step by step instructions they where very helpful. i decided to take the part under the glovebox off to see if it matched my 04 envoty xuv. it was dark out here so i couldnt really see what i was doing but i juts lightly hit the motor and it came back on full speed. i will post tom if it does not work but to me it seemed like something was just stuck in there.

:thx

gahammerle
10-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for this thread. Lost speeds 1,2,3 a few weeks ago. Got the new resistor today. I think it took longer to get my tools and clean out the glove box than it did to replace it. I could have skipped the glove box step though - I was able to replace it with the glove box closed.

frank632
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
thanks the thread is great went right to it and put it in
this made it easy and fast
thanks again

gusroy
10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks so much for the pictures and the step by step procedure. It was a little cramped to say the least, but could not have done it without the help. I'm so glad that I found this website.
Its nice to save a little money now and then.
Greg

palmerwoman
11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I just took the old resistor out of my 2003 Trailblazer and it requires wiring with 3 leads that plug into it... not 7. Can anyone help me with this? Is there some kind of adaptor??? The new part matches the pics in the thread, but my old one doesn't. HELP!!

the roadie
11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
You have the digital controls, not the manual controls this thread was designed for. The clue is that the digital control doesn't have five distinct speeds like the system being discussed here. It's a different module, and more expensive. Run a search for "digital blower module" for some discussions of the flavor you need.

Necessity
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
:tiphat:thx A few days ago I turned on the heater in my Envoy and the low pitched roar was scary. I didn't need to replace any parts but your post with the pictures showed me exactly how to get in to remove the motor and clean out a fan that had been packed solid with fiberglass insulation taken from my garage walls and ceiling. Mighty Mouse had built a house in there. Seems to be a pretty common problem. It was no 20 minute job, but I was able to do a thorough cleaning of the system and get it back as good as new. This site is a wonderful resource. Thanks.

stryped2131
11-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Got a question on this. I have a 2003 TB 4x4 I have the same problem. I need to replace the blower resistor...well I orderes one from O'rileys Auto the only one in there system looks like the one in your pic but its not the one I have on mine. I cant seem to find it anywhere I have looked. Mine has two metal bar like things where that pc boards is and the electrical plug is only has a three prong plug...please help...its getting cold and I have a 1000 trip in Dec....at least my back heater is working but I got to get this fixed fast.:thx

stryped2131
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
well I see my question taken care of above! sorry!

the roadie
11-19-2009, 01:28 AM
...I cant seem to find it anywhere I have looked....You didn't read enough of this thread before you went looking. You have the digital control. This thread is mostly about the manual 5-speed control system. But check out in the vicinity of posts #153-167. Part numbers and prices for YOUR module.

stryped2131
11-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Yes I saw that after I posted the first message..thats why I posted after that. " My question was taken care of above" thanks for the help guys! I did find what I was looking for and just got what I needed off Ebay motors!!! Thanks again!

zooZYyork
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Thank you for the thread and pics. and like always thank you to the roadie! is there anything you dont know.

why is the sky blue? :laugh:

06 Envoy
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Refraction of light through the atmosphere lololol

parrothead1
11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Where I ordered it from does not show the PN, sorry. I just used their drill down menu until I found

"Mechanical Catalog - 2002 - Chevrolet/Geo - Trailblazer
Hvac, Controls, Blower motor, Resistor, Resistor, s-series, bravada/envoy/trailblazer"

I also did not see a part number on the part itself.

It cost me $38 + s/h. The local dealer here wanted $60 for it, so it was better than that even with the shipping.

$29.39 tax included at Autozone in-store pickup.

harmanator
11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm adding onto a pretty old thread about the resistor replacement. In short, both my a/c and heat aren't blowing on any of the settings until I have been driving for several minutes, and then stop again when I slow down or stop momentum. I've narrowed the issue down to either the blower motor resistor or the control module, and I'm pretty sure that in my 2005 TB LT I need to replace the module vs. the resistor since my controls are automatic not manual....is that correct? Additionally, do you happen to have any pics or info on how to replace the module? Thanks for any info.

the roadie
12-01-2009, 12:33 AM
You need the module:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=52946

Or it could be oxidized and overheated wiring harness connecting to the module. When you pull the lower dash panel and get behind the glovebox and inspect it, it should be obvious.

Ralph1229
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy and my front A/C does not work but the back does. I was told that I need to replace my blower motor control module and I wanted to know if the steps you listed are the same for my case. Thanks!

the roadie
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
If you read the thread in my post #222, you'll see a picture of the solid state module you have. It's in a slightly different place than the resistor pack that's the subject of most of this thread, but it's INSTANTLY obvious when you get down there, take off the under glove box access panel, and look with a flashlight.

PRINTALL
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Many Thanks to K2JJB. So helpful. I just replaced mine today, was a pain in the neck fitting my hands in there. Your post made it so much easier though.
Thanks again!

spyonu2007
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
THANKS to the original poster and those that contributed. Saved me some $$$.

drlove907
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Hello All,

Heres my saga, I "replaced" blower motor, resistor, harness (all new) and just this morning went to a salvage yard and purchased a control module to see if it was bad. Nothing has worked for me as of yet. I also checked the fuses under the back seat and under the hood, they are all good. Is there a way for me to test to see if I got a bum resistor or how to test for current on the connectors? Is there an alternative method of troubleshooting outside of this solution?

Thanks 4 Your Time,

TLove

the roadie
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I "replaced" blower motor, resistor, harness (all new) and just this morning went to a salvage yard and purchased a control module to see if it was bad. Nothing has worked for me as of yet. I also checked the fuses under the back seat and under the hood, they are all good. Is there a way for me to test to see if I got a bum resistor or how to test for current on the connectors? Is there an alternative method of troubleshooting outside of this solution?Holy moley, that's a lot of stuff to swap out just because you don't have a $2.99 Harbor Freight voltmeter. I've posted the schematics before. Do you or anybody own a meter and know how to look at the harness? How are you certain the fuses are good without a meter?

drlove907
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Holy moley, that's a lot of stuff to swap out just because you don't have a $2.99 Harbor Freight voltmeter. I've posted the schematics before. Do you or anybody own a meter and know how to look at the harness? How are you certain the fuses are good without a meter?

I have one of those GB Instruments Voltmeters. Only checked to see if the fuses were blown so not sure if that's where the problem originates. I saw the schematic but really don't know how to read them but generally understand them.

the roadie
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
#1 thing to check is if the RED wire on the harness has 12V on it. It should, all the time. If not, report back for additional instructions.

#2 - check the ORANGE wire for 12V if the blower speed control is on HIGH. If not, report back.

If it is, and the blower is not turning, check the PURPLE wire to see if you have 12V on it. If you do, and the blower is not turning, check the BLACK wire at the blower. It should be ground. If it's at 12V, then the ground connection is bad and that's the ultimate root cause.

drlove907
12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
#1 thing to check is if the RED wire on the harness has 12V on it. It should, all the time. If not, report back for additional instructions.

#2 - check the ORANGE wire for 12V if the blower speed control is on HIGH. If not, report back.

If it is, and the blower is not turning, check the PURPLE wire to see if you have 12V on it. If you do, and the blower is not turning, check the BLACK wire at the blower. It should be ground. If it's at 12V, then the ground connection is bad and that's the ultimate root cause.

Will do, I will report my findings tomorrow. You dudes rock!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

stevrock
12-09-2009, 12:13 AM
I replaced the resistor in the gf's 02 Envoy after she only had the blower on 4 and 5.

Everything worked great... for about a week. Now the only setting that works is 5.
Fuses in the rear block were fine, as was 35 under the hood.

Why would this thing fail twice in one week? I checked the connector and it looked fine, no signs of thermal damage, or any other damage for that matter.

Thanks in advance.

the roadie
12-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Why would this thing fail twice in one week?Who made the replacement and is there a warranty? You can confirm it's bad with a meter, using the schematic, if you know how to trace the signal flow. Or it could be an intermittent control switch. Otherwise we'd only be able to guess why the replacement is bad. It's not as if there's any potentially damaging voltages running around to kill the replacement resistor packs.

drlove907
12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Will do, I will report my findings tomorrow. You dudes rock!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good Evening Roadie, I checked the Red and Orange wires, needle didn't budge for either of them. I had meter set on DC V 50 (analog meter) testing the red and orange wires. Checked the fuses for continuity under the hood and they were good.

SirRazz197
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Yesterday had to be the coldest in December....

I have a 2004 GMC Envoy, the heater fan has been working fine until today.
I went to work; the HEAT fan was working fine. When I got of work, the fan wouldn’t work?
Not in Low, Medium or High? drove it home like this.......
I went to the garage to check out the fuse #35 – is all good.
I turned the ignition on, started the heater fan and nothing.
I could hear a small clicking going on, I tapped the top of the dash board and the fan started.
I turned the truck off, turned the ignition on and started the fan - again nothing
I tapped the top of the dash board a few times and it started working again?

How can I tell if it’s the blower motor or the blower fan resistor?
I don't have any gadgets to check voltage or power....

the roadie
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
How can I tell if it’s the blower motor or the blower fan resistor?You need one of those gadgets to check voltage or power.
I don't have any gadgets to check voltage or power....:worried: Sorry, then you'll have to pay somebody to troubleshoot it who does.

Good Evening Roadie, I checked the Red and Orange wires, needle didn't budge for either of them. I had meter set on DC V 50 (analog meter) testing the red and orange wires. Checked the fuses for continuity under the hood and they were good.Close. Now you have to check to see if the fuses have power. If you have the kind of fuses that have little test points on the top edge (metal sticking up out of the plastic), then check each side for voltage. If not, then pull the fuse and check each blade socket. If there's nothing at the red wire, that's serious. You do have the other end of the meter on a good ground? Make sure the meter can see a good 12V on the center contact of the cigarette lighter socket.

stevrock
12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Who made the replacement and is there a warranty? You can confirm it's bad with a meter, using the schematic, if you know how to trace the signal flow. Or it could be an intermittent control switch. Otherwise we'd only be able to guess why the replacement is bad. It's not as if there's any potentially damaging voltages running around to kill the replacement resistor packs.

I've checked continuity on this resistor pack (Bought from GM dealership) in 3 different places.
Across the 2 lower purple resistors which had continuity, and the lone green one which did not have continuity.

I checked all the pins on the connector to ground, and the switch was passing roughly 12vdc in all positions (With the exception of off).
Didn't see any spikes.

Just wondering if there's anything else I should look for, as this issue is one of a few problems I'm having.

Just checked the schematics, this green one appears to be M3 which would explain why nothing below high setting would work.

jamesbt
12-10-2009, 11:47 PM
i just lost speed 5 again...seems to happen as soon it gets cold out

JJMcKay
12-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Been reading through the treads on this site and I'm starting to lean on the resistor being the issue ... I realize that this site is for Trailblazers and Envoys but it has to be common with the Sierra .. ;)

I noticed a few days ago that the blower was acting a little odd and I had to turned up all the way but I could hear to changing speeds .... sometimes stop all together then start up again ...

This morning it was working fine ... I stopped to get a coffee and when I got back in the truck it just refused to come one ... tried all the speeds ... nothing ... I haven't had a chance to test anything yet and I just arrived at work ... I wanted to get some idea for tonight ... my first though was a fuse ... and I'm hopping that is all it is ... Just got the truck 2 weeks ago so I have no clue where everything is located but I do have access to Mitchell 1 On Demand5 .. it's a good resource... should help me locate the fuses ... I'm assuming there would be a fuse for the heater blower fan.

Since this tread is still going I figured I would post to get some advice .... I realize I need to test a few things before to rule out the motor ... I know the truck is getting a little old ... just a bad time to break .... it's getting cold over here in NB..

Any info will be greatly appreciated ... I was thinking I would start by changing the fuse and replacing the resistor ... the local GM dealer must be able to provide me with the part ... probably expensive from them though .. :(

Thanks guy!

SirRazz197
12-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Not sure if ANYONE here knows, but the blow motor run on 12 volts?
Soooo U don't need any gadgets to check if the blower motor works or not?

All you need 2 wires and 12 volt car battery.....
I hooked the motor directly to the car battery and NOTHING.
I disconnect the wires, tapped the motor a few times,
hooked the wires back on to the battery and the motor turned on.

I replaced the blower motor, put everything back together...
The blower motor works fine, i got heat on Low, Med and High.

Now......,
when I turn the heat on and ONLY when I turn the heat on
No matter what speed Low, Med, High
The truck will not idol smooth, it surges?

the roadie
12-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Not sure if ANYONE here knows, but the blow motor run on 12 We (we meaning the entire crew on trailvoy - certainly not just me) know everything about the vehicle. Yes, the blower motor is a 12V motor.
The truck will not idol smooth, it surges?
100% diagnosis that you need to clean the throttle body. 30 minutes and a $4 can of spray cleaner.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

SirRazz197
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM

When I first posted,
I stated I didn't have any gadgets and asked if there was a way to check it?
"WE" didn't say to check it with 2 wires and a 12 volt battery.
"WE" said sorry you have to pay somebody to troubleshoot it.

I also stated that the truck worked fine before the blower motor went out,
The truck idol only surges up and down when the heat is on and causes the truck to die out.
If I turn off the heat, there is no problem with the idol, it runs good and does not surge at all.

Can you explain what the blower motor and throttle body have to do with each other?

the roadie
12-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Can you explain what the blower motor and throttle body have to do with each other?The explanation gets posted about every six months, in threads thaat you could find with a search for "cleaning throttle body."

But the quick explanation is that it's the AC compressor kicking on every few minutes that's causing the engine to stall out. The computer can't handle the stickiness of the dirty throttle body, and when the AC compressor kicks on, it can't open the butterfly valve the way it wants to, and the idle decays and sometimes stalls out. The HVAC control is what's really stopping this process when you turn off the "blower" but the real culprit is the AC compressor.

Often the computer has accommodated to a progressively stickier and stickier throttle body, and I assume you disconnected the battery to use the jumper wires to the blower motor trick. This caused the computer to lose its memory, and it can't handle the learning it has to do all at once with a sticky throttle body.

For a $4 can of cleaner and 30 minutes, you'll be astonished with the improvement.

dh11670
12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
i looked at the blower motor 7pin connections looks good nothing burnt, and looked at the restor modle that looks good also how can i tell if its the switch or the resitor module? only fan speed 5 works

the roadie
12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
... looked at the restor modle that looks good also...Appearance tells you almost nothing, especially about the interior functionality of relays or semiconductor chips.

You can only determine the EXACT cause of the failure by using a meter and tracing the schematic which I've posted before. If you don't have a meter and know how to use it, you should just slap in a new resistor module because they're relatively cheap, and 98 out of 100 times it's the problem if the fuses are OK. :thumbsup:

drlove907
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Good Evening Roadie, I checked the Red and Orange wires, needle didn't budge for either of them. I had meter set on DC V 50 (analog meter) testing the red and orange wires. Checked the fuses for continuity under the hood and they were good.

Hey Roadie, heres my findings today. I did not have the blower fuse in the right place to begin with. Placed it in the right spot and tried the blower, got nothing but i smelled something burning. come to find out the resistor i replaced back in the summer was the culprit. the capacitor thingy at the top of the resistor was burned. there is no continuity anywhere on the resistor either so hopefully that the problem. i also tested the connector, i get 12v on the red but nothing on orange with speed on 5, im also testing the connector wide open, not connected to the resistor/blower. let me know what you think, on my way to buy another resistor.

davids_1718
12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
This write up really did come in handy as others have already said. Thanks to all of you I saved a few bucks and now am able to go through a New York winter with heat.

drlove907
12-30-2009, 06:29 PM

hey there roadie,

here's where i stand now. i found out that i had the #35 fuse in the wrong place. corrected that. went to try the blower i smelled something burning, come to find out it was the capacitor thingy at the top of the resistor i bought back in the summer. now i got a new one but haven't connected it yet. the reason is this, I get 12v at the red wire on the harness, but i get nothing on the orange wire with the speed on 5. is it ok to connect or is there more troubleshooting that need to be done. thx!

the roadie
12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
...i get nothing on the orange wire with the speed on 5. is it ok to connect or is there more troubleshooting that need to be done. thx!Check rear fuse block fuse #44. If it isn't that, then it's the switch or the harness from the control module/switch to the resistor pack.

efsoccer9
12-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Check rear fuse block fuse #44. If it isn't that, then it's the switch or the harness from the control module/switch to the resistor pack.

I tore my 06 TB EXT apart tonight and tested the blower motor, and of course it works fine. (Will be returning the new one ;) Resistor pack took some major heat damage and I'm missing some pins on the connector, and the ground wire on the harness is pretty messed up. Does anyone have a part number for the harness? I'm hoping to get ahold of one in the morning to finish the job since my passenger seat is literally holding the contents of the blower motor assembly area.