Engine shutoff while driving!! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Engine shutoff while driving!!

tnynyn
11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok so I was driving in the neighborhood (luckily) and while turning in to parallel park, my engine just completely shut off and the wheels locked!! It took me a minute just to figure out what was going on until I looked at the rpm and it wasn't idlling (my stereo on so I couldnt hear the motor) So I turned the ignition on and the car started right up again. I was so glad I was parking when it happened becuase my car just hit the curb and stoped. Anyone got a clue to what happened? My cars out of warranty and I just past 33000. I get my oil changed every 3000-4000 miles, last oil change was at the dealer. Car is stock other than an upgraded stereo system since I got the car 3 years ago...I'm kinda scared to drive it on the freeways (which I have to do daily for work and school)

the roadie
11-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Typical thing that intermittently fails and causes many odd electrical symptoms but is relatively cheap even if it isn't the ultimate root cause: ignition switch.

tnynyn
11-22-2007, 04:49 PM
tanks roadie, ill have that checked out and repalced.

RayVoy
11-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Could be a dirty throttle body. It will cause stalling at idle, or just toeing the go pedal.

the roadie
11-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Eek. I agree. In a 2004, if the throttle body's never been cleaned, it's definitely the first thing to try. Cheap and quick driveway project: http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

I do mine every 10,000 miles since the symptoms first came on at 25,000.

tnynyn
11-22-2007, 08:55 PM
hmm thanks for the tb adivce. will try that out first for the weekend.

longhorn262
11-25-2007, 01:32 AM
hmm thanks for the tb adivce. will try that out first for the weekend.

my car almost did that to me once before. sometimes if i have the wheels turned all the way it will drop down real low and rev up to recover. but one day it almost just completely died. it hasnt really been that bad since. and even better after i cleaned the throttle body

Jozuah
11-25-2007, 03:00 AM
have the dealer check your PCM build calibration 04's have issues with the EXACT problem your describing and a PCM flash is the fix (supposedly)
Josh

tnynyn
11-26-2007, 10:47 AM
thanks for the tip everyone...didnt have the chance to clean the the throttle body this weekend, but will do it asap after work and take it in the dealership afterwards to have it checked out..im due for an oil change anyways..

..however a little update...

driving on the freeway, i notice my car started to "kick" when I was coming to a stop. Looking at the guages I notice the RPM droped below 1000 to 500 then under 500 and it "recovers" then drops again, and recovers again, etc...after a few times of that, it stalled! :mad: and on the freakkin freeway..

rbarrios
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
those are classic symptoms of a dirty throttle body AND using the AC at the same time.
The compressor coming on and off is pretty much what is causing the RPMs to go up and down like that.
Happened to me on the freeway too. though mine didnt shut off on freeway. It did on the street while making a slow speed turn.
This issue usually arises on a vehicle that has some miles on it and has had the battery disconnected recently.
We recommend YOU do the throttle body cleaning, as it will take you about 30-45 minutes (the fast clean without removing TB) and the spray will run you about $4.
Also- you can do the oil yourself. easy.
if you dont do either- im curious to know what the dealer charges for a throttle body cleaning.

you can test this by
turn off AC.
start vehicle and let it idle down to normal (about 600 rpm).
turn steering wheel. you may notice a slight drop in rpm.. but not much............
now- still in idle, roll down both windows, turn ON AC.....
can you hear the AC compressor click on? when it does click on, do you see the engine RPMs drop to about 300 or 400 RPM, then you hear the AC click OFF, and the RPMs shoot up to about 1000?, then AC click on again, and engine stumble to 400 RPM and the cycle keeps repeating?
this gets worse if the engine is on D, and if you try to turn the wheel the engine may easily stumble and die?

if the above happens- then clean the throttle body.

tnynyn
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
thanks for the tip rbarrios,

cant wait to get home and clean the tb for some reason lol...i can't test if the tb is dirty via method rbarrios gave me since im at work but im sure its a dirty tb since i had my heater on and disconnected my battery for a bit during the past weekend...

RayVoy
11-26-2007, 07:32 PM
my car almost did that to me once before. sometimes if i have the wheels turned all the way it will drop down real low and rev up to recover. but one day it almost just completely died. it hasnt really been that bad since. and even better after i cleaned the throttle bodylonghorn, your problem is not a dirty throttle body (although cleaning the tb might stop the stalling), when u turn the wheels to "full lock", the power steering pump loads up the motor (u can hear the engine loading) and at idle, the motor will idle down and maybe stall. Most of us will hold the wheel just off "full lock" to prevent the pump loading the engine.