Clear coat chipping off wheels [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Clear coat chipping off wheels

Fishhunter911
12-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Who has had an issue with the clear coat chipping away on the SS rims??? I called GM to see if it was covered and they said no.. I am going to head to my dealer and see what they have to say..still the original tires on it so they cant blame a tire shop. This is happening to all 4 wheels.

MajesticLT03
12-22-2007, 02:09 PM
strip the clearcoat and have them powdercoated :hail:

DangerousTacos
12-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe its time to chrome them?

blktbz
12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
A lot of guys strip the clear off their S10 rims, polish them and reclear them. It'll look 100 time better than stock, if you don't wanna go as far as clearing. Takes quite a few hours per rim, but it's a nice fix.

chunn7
12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
All 4 of my rims look terrible. I complained about them when the SS was in the shop for the rear diff, but they wouldn't do anything about them. I'll show them... I'll just get them chromed. :D

DangerousTacos
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
All 4 of my rims look terrible. I complained about them when the SS was in the shop for the rear diff, but they wouldn't do anything about them. I'll show them... I'll just get them chromed. :D

Its a shame these things don't come with chrome wheels to begin with... they're only an option, but they're only 18"!

DucatiSS
12-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I have noticed all kinds of white areas under the clear coat. :hissy:Just for a laugh I may take it to the dealer and see if they will do anything about it. :dielaugh:

chunn7
12-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Its a shame these things don't come with chrome wheels to begin with... they're only an option, but they're only 18"!
I agree... they should come from the factory chromed. Not sure what GM was thinking on that one. :hopeless

I have noticed all kinds of white areas under the clear coat. :hissy:Just for a laugh I may take it to the dealer and see if they will do anything about it. :dielaugh:
Good luck with that! :laugh:

SStbSS
12-24-2007, 03:41 PM
one of my rims is like that, it wasn't polished right before the clear was put on which makes it look white or hazey

Fishhunter911
12-24-2007, 03:43 PM
one of my rims is like that, it wasn't polished right before the clear was put on which makes it look white or hazey

I wish that was my issue. The clear is actually flaking off and the metal has turned black.... The dull look I can handle to a point, the clear coming off I cant.

KAM240
12-24-2007, 04:23 PM

:iagree: My rims look like crap no matter what I put on them they never look good and the dealer said not their problem its normal wear and they cant cover it.

Juniorss
12-28-2007, 04:47 AM
Who has had an issue with the clear coat chipping away on the SS rims??? I called GM to see if it was covered and they said no.. I am going to head to my dealer and see what they have to say..still the original tires on it so they cant blame a tire shop. This is happening to all 4 wheels.

I just noticed it on two of my dads wheels too. Good thing he just picked up a set of brand new take offs

cgriffin_5139
12-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Hey chunn i could have swore Joe (Fishhunter911) told me yesterday, his dealer would have fixed his wheels if it was still under the 36,000 mile warranty, no problem but he has 40 and change on his truck.

Fishhunter911
12-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Yup, they told me had I brought it in before 36k, the would have put new wheels on it.... oh well, guess I lost out on that deal. I will just have to do what Chunn is doing, either Chrome them or get diff.

maxtbss
12-30-2007, 11:53 PM
The TBSS REEEEEALLY should have come with chrome rims, what was Chevy thinking :duh:

06suvette995
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
as long as your in the 3yrs/36k legally you should be golden, also look at the corrosion warrenty thats like 10-12yrs on the body see what is mentioned about the rims

Fishhunter911
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
as long as your in the 3yrs/36k legally you should be golden, also look at the corrosion warrenty thats like 10-12yrs on the body see what is mentioned about the rims

I am past the 36k mark, I have the GMPP till 80 but that doesnt cover it. The corrosion warr. does not cover wheels. So they say. I called GM and they backed up what the dealer said. So I am SOL.

squiggyacfd
01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Mine aren't chipping (yet), but they are very dull and I have these dark stains on the inside of the rims where the rotors are located. I have tried lots of elbow grease but no luck. What could it be??

SStbSS
02-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Whats so great about chrome? At least gm chrome wheels. Parents have a 07 Denali on its second set of crome wheels. Both were peeling after less than one year. Btw Gm doesn't chrome the insides of any of their wheels,thus results in peeling starting around the inside edges.

smokinjoe486
02-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Joe Joe I got a proposition for you buddy! get at me!

turboawd
07-05-2008, 02:56 AM
my ss is still under warranty. will the dealer do anything for me for peeling wheels?
i noticed mine are peeling around the center caps, and nobody has ever removed the wheels before.

Fishhunter911
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
my ss is still under warranty. will the dealer do anything for me for peeling wheels?
i noticed mine are peeling around the center caps, and nobody has ever removed the wheels before.

I was told if you are over 12,000 miles, they wont cover it.

turboawd
07-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I was told if you are over 12,000 miles, they wont cover it.
thats why i'm not going to buy a GM product again. the quality isn't there.

DangerousTacos
07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
thats why i'm not going to buy a GM product again. the quality isn't there.

Not many companies have it anymore. If you want "quality" you'd have to go with something like a BMW or Mercedes, and even then its questionable as compared to what they both once were.... its just the times we live in.

turboawd
07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Not many companies have it anymore. If you want "quality" you'd have to go with something like a BMW or Mercedes, and even then its questionable as compared to what they both once were.... its just the times we live in.
at least with companies like bmw, you wont have to worry about corrosion.

anyways, i stopped at the dealer today. service guy said someone else came in with fewer miles and got denied...."normal wear" and "there was a lot of salt on the roads".:rolleyes: i only drove the truck maybe a few times in the winter.
he said the regional manager comes by once a month and they'll show him the pictures when he comes by. and the regional guy just stopped by yesterday, so that means i'd have to wait a full month for an answer...if i get one. i asked if he could email the photos that he took, to the regional guy, and he said no and then brushed me off and walked away.
F**K GM.

Raress9596
07-08-2008, 08:38 AM
The '06 I gave to my son has the clear coat peeling in the corner of the spokes. I'm gonna swap them over to my '07 and bring it in and see if the dealer can do anything with them. If not i'm gonna switch over to a brand new set of take offs I bought last year and send the peeling ones out to be chromed. Really sucks though. My wife had the same problem on her Infiniti QX 56. Dealer got her a new wheel no questions asked!

DucatiSS
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Incredible, I just got off of the phone with a local Chevy dealer about my wheels. Now, this is not the dealer that I bought it from, this is the 1st dealer I went to and was told that in Oct. '06 that there were no 06's left within 200 miles. Anyways, this dealer is much closer and I thought ( I know, me thinking again) that the GM policy would be the same at all dealerships. I was told that the regional mgr. for GM wouldnt even look at the pics of the wheels if the car is over 12K/ 12mo. :duh: Could someone explain a 36K/36 mo. bumper to bumper? Oh I get it, the wheels are lower than the bumper so they must not count. :hissy:
I was also told to take it to another dealer and maybe it would be taken care of. When I asked if it was GM's policy not to cover the wheels why would that matter. He again said to take it to another dealer. 2 guess's what dealer I would never recommend.

Ok times up. Wolfe Chevy in Belvidere IL. The sales lady lied when I tried to purchase because I did find one available only 45 miles away, and the regional service rep. doesnt know the diff. between 12K and 36K. I have heard of similar cases being resolved once it got to the regional rep. but I guess this rep's bonus must take a hit if he authorizes any warranty repairs.

Yes I told the service manager about TrailVoy and yes I told him how large of a community we have. The next step I will take is to contact GM and find out why different reps can say and do different things when warrantys are black and white.

:m2: I will climb off of my soapbox now.

oh yea, my radio was going in and out whenever I went over a bump or pothole and if I tapped the dash it would be fine until the next bump. I mentioned that I thought the antenna wire may be loose and I was told it is probably because of the stubby antenna I put on. He claims by screwing it on that I altered the radio so it is not covered...:dielaugh:

Fishhunter911
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I feel your pain bro!! and the radio things.. he is NUTS!!!!!

regularjoe
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
...:m2: I will climb off of my soapbox now...

No stay on let them have it.
I also had a heck of a time with GM when the door for the air vents got all screwed up. I went ot a dealer 10 miles down the road from the first and they fixed it the first time the other had it apart three. Good luck.

turboawd
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
......He again said to take it to another dealer. 2 guess's what dealer I would never recommend.

Ok times up. Wolfe Chevy in Belvidere IL.........
haha, holy sh*t. :dielaugh: that's where i went to. i'll never go back there. the service people treat customers with an ignorant attitude.

anyways, i went to another dealer and ordered new center caps ($17 each), and called a wheel repair guy, who touched up my rims for $100.
the wheels will get tarnished again. the only way to fix them, is to completely strip them and refinish them.