engine oil light [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: engine oil light

silverghost
01-08-2008, 02:36 AM
ive noticed that after i start my tb, the engine oil light takes its time before it goes out.never done that before..i just did an oil change and reset the oil life system. is my oil sending unit going out?2003 4.2l 62000 miles

Tayap79
01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Sorry

silverghost
01-08-2008, 02:43 AM
its a legitimate question and if you dont have an answer, dont reply..thx

appstategrl
01-08-2008, 03:18 AM
its a legitimate question and if you dont have an answer, dont reply..thx

Dude, take a chill pill... leave Taylor alone... he has a lot of info in that odd shaped head... he may have been out of line but let the mods take care of that bull... no need to be uppity... As far as the oil light... how long does it stay on after your others go out?

KNBlazer
01-08-2008, 03:19 AM
well I am not sure if this will work for the electronic DTC lcd view screen... but did you try to tap on the gas 3 times?

you need to open the key all the way without firing it up and press on the gas 3 times within 5 seconds and wait until the oil light flashes, then you can turn the key to off and then fire it up... that should take care of the light...

Flip94ta
01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Do TB's have an oil light?, I cant remember, its too early. Typically its a red light shaped like a oil can, or it says oil in red or are you talking about the yellow light that kinda looks like an engine light.

bullethole
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
You did put 7 quarts in after the oil change didn't you? I always ask the simple dumb questions first.

rockman20
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree. Check the oil level first. What weight did you put in?

ylab
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the OLM didn't reset and he's down to 10% or less of estimated oil life. On non-DIC equipped vehicles, isn't the oil can what lights up when you're near oil change time?

I'd try the OLM reset again, turn ignition to run and floor the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds of turning the key to run. (You have to get it all the way to the floor and fully release it in between, within that 5 seconds).

silverghost
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
i pretty much do all what i can do on my vehicles, as far as brake jobs,minor work etc.its the dic light and all other lights go off well before this one does.i just changed the oil, and of course i used 7 qts of synthetic 5w 30..ill try the reset again and see if that will do it.i came to this sight to try and get away from the negative responses to questions.those of you that responded the correct way, hats off to you.:)

gtannenb
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
My 2005 Ascender has the same problem. The oil pressure light stays on for approx. 10 seconds when I start the car, long after all the other idiot lights have gone off. The oil lever is fine as is the oil pressure per the guage. I have not figured out why it does this but everything appears fine.

ylab
01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
If its 10 seconds, it almost has to be the OLM is under 10% remaining oil life. That's exactly how long the indicator lights up when the system is below 10% of oil life remaining......once it gets below 2 or 1, it will stay on even longer. It can also be a real PITA to get the system to reset, you have to get the timing just right and make sure the pedal goes all the way down and is fully released between presses. (All within 5 seconds of turning the key to the run position, without accidentally starting the motor).

Now if it was 2-3 seconds, I'd say get another filter with an anti-drain valve in it. Even with the filter upside down, suction & gravity can allow the oil passages to drain down with the engine off. A good inexpensive filter, believe it or not, is the Super-Tech available at Wal-Mart. (Synthetic media, high quality bypass valve and an ADB valve).

silverghost
01-15-2008, 02:25 AM
i did the reset thing and now light is back to normal.:thx