Painting the "D" Pillar [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Painting the "D" Pillar

Stoli
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I have been searching around to see if anyone has painted the black plastic on the D pillar of the Trailblazer. If I have missed the thread and someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. If not I would love to see a picture of it or if anyone is good with photoshop, just an idea of what it would look like. I was thinking about color matching the side mirrors and I got to thinking that the D pillar might look good painted as well. I don't know if it is even possible because of the type of plastic it is. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

appstategrl
02-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I have been searching around to see if anyone has painted the black plastic on the D pillar of the Trailblazer. If I have missed the thread and someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. If not I would love to see a picture of it or if anyone is good with photoshop, just an idea of what it would look like. I was thinking about color matching the side mirrors and I got to thinking that the D pillar might look good painted as well. I don't know if it is even possible because of the type of plastic it is. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

I know it is a pain in the arse to even try to paint it, unless you know a body shop. Boilermaker has his done, he has numbers on his name but I cant remember them. Have fun is all I gotta say.:dielaugh:

And just for the funny of the inside joke: That is the C-Pillar, they go Pillar-1,A,B, & C. Lol... wow, sry, had to do it.

Stoli
02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
My apologizes....I saw a diagram that labeled it the D pillar. I guess I will have to leave the site forever in shame.

chunn7
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I had the D pillars painted on my '02 LTZ. I had a body shop paint them for me. I think it was some where between $50-75.

Stoli
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I had the D pillars painted on my '02 LTZ. I had a body shop paint them for me. I think it was some where between $50-75.

Do you have anymore pictures of the pillars. I saw that one that you have in your gallery. It looked pretty good from what I could see.

chunn7
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I have a ton of pictures of it at home on my computer. I'm away for the week, but I'll post some up for you when I get back.

Envoy Fan
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I had the "D" pillars and 3rd brake light molding on both my '03 and current '05 Envoy's painted to match. It took me 4 body shops before I could find one that could paint them correctly.

The first 3 must have given the parts to the noob in the shop to do. :suicide: Way too much dust and the color didn't even match :hissy: Someone has to know how to prep and paint plastic correctly (it is not like metal, I am told) and use a good quality clear coat.

Stoli
02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
I have a ton of pictures of it at home on my computer. I'm away for the week, but I'll post some up for you when I get back.

I would appreciate that.

I had the "D" pillars and 3rd brake light molding on both my '03 and current '05 Envoy's painted to match. It took me 4 body shops before I could find one that could paint them correctly.

The first 3 must have given the parts to the noob in the shop to do. :suicide: Way too much dust and the color didn't even match :hissy: Someone has to know how to prep and paint plastic correctly (it is not like metal, I am told) and use a good quality clear coat.

I was just wondering if you could apply the same technique for color matching the side mirrors to the pillars. I don't know much about painting but I figured the type of plastic on the pillars would be more difficult to paint than the mirrors.

appstategrl
02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
My apologizes....I saw a diagram that labeled it the D pillar. I guess I will have to leave the site forever in shame.

Haha, it is a D-pillar. My b/f makes fun of me cause I called it a C-pillar. Hence why I had to say that, hehe. I couldn't think of what to call the A-pillar when he asked me so I called it Pillar-1. Lol, it was just funny.

I was just wondering if you could apply the same technique for color matching the side mirrors to the pillars. I don't know much about painting but I figured the type of plastic on the pillars would be more difficult to paint than the mirrors.

Hahahaha, do NOT do them like you do the mirrors. I have painted mine three times so far. I'm bout to just give up. This is the most aggravating mod I have done to date, and I have a few under my belt.

Boilermaker-744
02-04-2008, 05:19 PM
D-pillars painted to match

http://gallery.trailvoy.com/data//506/LED_tails.jpg

My mirrors are painted to match also. I recommend that you sand them smooth first.:thumbsup:

Stoli
02-04-2008, 06:24 PM
D-pillars painted to match

My mirrors are painted to match also. I recommend that you sand them smooth first.:thumbsup:

I think the pillars look good like that. Did you paint the pillars the same way as the mirrors or did you take them somewhere to be painted?

appstategrl
02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I think the pillars look good like that. Did you paint the pillars the same way as the mirrors or did you take them somewhere to be painted?

If I know this guy like I think I do, he had his buddy paint them at a body shop. You cannot paint them like you do the mirrors. Just trust me on this one ok.

Boilermaker-744
02-04-2008, 08:02 PM
If I know this guy like I think I do, he had his buddy paint them at a body shop. You cannot paint them like you do the mirrors. Just trust me on this one ok.

:weird: I think I have a stalker that doesnt like my stereo system:raspberry

:thumbsup: Thats exactly what I did, as I've said in several other posts
All exterior peices were painted by my boy at the dealership and all the interior ones were done by me at home.;)
I lied.... I was just looking at that pic of my truck and I also shaved and painted my 3rd brakelight myself...

appstategrl
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
:weird: I think I have a stalker that doesnt like my stereo system:raspberry

:thumbsup: Thats exactly what I did, as I've said in several other posts
All exterior peices were painted by my boy at the dealership and all the interior ones were done by me at home.;)
I lied.... I was just looking at that pic of my truck and I also shaved and painted my 3rd brakelight myself...

Haha, I ain't a stalker, I just remember info. I do that a lot :bonk::weird:.

Stoli
02-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Well it looks good. Unfortunately I don't have any inside guys to do it for me. Maybe I will do some looking around at the local shops.

Boilermaker-744
02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Haha, I ain't a stalker, I just remember info. I do that a lot :bonk::weird:.

Thats what all the stalkers say...:x

Just playin:D
Well it looks good. Unfortunately I don't have any inside guys to do it for me. Maybe I will do some looking around at the local shops.

Thats a good idea, but make sure to ask for references and pics of their work. If they won't give you any, find somewhere else. Word of mouth is usually really good to at finding a decent shop. I sanded my mirrors down myself, so it probably cut back a little on cost.

chunn7
02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I would appreciate that.
Here's the pics I promised. :)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/chunn7/83006cleantb.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/chunn7/83006pillars.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/chunn7/83006tb.jpg

SiNgHsAnE
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
hmmm...im debating this mod...i dunno if i wanna get it painted or my other idea was to have a chrome peice made for it...sorta like the xuv has...any suggestions?

Envoy Fan
02-12-2008, 12:59 PM
^ My vote is paint it. :yes:

Stoli
02-12-2008, 02:05 PM
It depends on how much chrome you have on your car already or how much you plan to put on. I don't think it would look good with it being the only sizable chrome piece. I vote for paint

andrewmoore13
02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
now all you guys need to do is color match that ugly gray plastic.

Ricky81
02-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Paint......the only way!!!

ralph4u2c
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
i got quoted $250 to paint EVERY piece of plastic including a smooth SS wiper cowl and the front chrome piece on grille to white as well. should not be very much to just do the D-pillars. i dont know how easy it is to uninstall but i know you dont have to remove them. most peices can be painted on the truck itself w/o any removal.

appstategrl
02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
i got quoted $250 to paint EVERY piece of plastic including a smooth SS wiper cowl and the front chrome piece on grille to white as well. should not be very much to just do the D-pillars. i dont know how easy it is to uninstall but i know you dont have to remove them. most peices can be painted on the truck itself w/o any removal.

The D-pillars are way easy to remove, two startip screws and then they are off. I would recommend taking everything off when painting it. :m2:

Camman
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Yea definately paint! Not chrome
i have been debating whether to paint them as well. :undecided
just color matched my mirrors today
now i have the mod bug!
:crazy:

SiNgHsAnE
02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
The D-pillars are way easy to remove, two startip screws and then they are off. I would recommend taking everything off when painting it. :m2:

How do we access the screws?

appstategrl
02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
How do we access the screws?

Lift the top glass, there are right there.

Ricky81
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Lift the top glass, there are right there.

:iagree:

On my Envoy you would have to look out for 4 little rubber bumpers(top and bottom of pillar) you can't miss it. I used a torx bit or you can even use a allen key to remove!!

envoy4me
02-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I had mine painted with my front and rear valances. Makes a huge difference. They were not that hard to remove. The top 3rd brake light piece is double side taped on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/rabbit4me/20OCTANE004.jpg

dreams1019
02-16-2008, 08:09 AM
:hail: i likes

:hail:D-pillars painted to match

Ricky81
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
:hail: i likes

:hail:

:iagree:

scotty g
02-19-2008, 10:07 PM
boilermaker,
the pillars and mirrors look great