Where's the Coolant Air Bleed Hose [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Where's the Coolant Air Bleed Hose

onip28
02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I plan on draining, flushing, and refilling my radiator after changing the thermostat; I'm reading the Haynes Repair Manual and one of the steps is to "detach the coolant air bleed hose from the throttle body"...

I know where the throttle body is, but where in the heck is this hose they are refering to???:confused:

Thanks for advanced input - maybe a dumb questions, but I need some help.

Steve

rbarrios
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
hmmmmm, thats the 1st I hear of that....I dont think the I6 has that....
most people on here change the thermos and refill.
let the car idle to operating temp, in the meantine refill the overflow tothe COLD mark- when the thermostat opens then revv the engine to circulate, refill with dexcool as the level will surely drop....and then go for a drive and watch that gauge to make sure you dont overheat.
Then what I did was got on the freeway onramp- I floored the gas- and hit 80 in no time- then every now and then on that drive Id floor it to get the revvs up and the water pump to pump fast and expel trapped air.
the next day once the engine cooled overnight- sure enough the coolant level had dropped- refill the overflow bottle.
during the next few days drive etc. and refill the bottle if necessary.

I think the V8's for a while had a coolant line that ran to the throttle body to cool it off (but this was in the V8;s from a few years ago) dont know if its still true.

onip28
02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
hmmmmm, thats the 1st I hear of that....I dont think the I6 has that....
most people on here change the thermos and refill.
let the car idle to operating temp, in the meantine refill the overflow tothe COLD mark- when the thermostat opens then revv the engine to circulate, refill with dexcool as the level will surely drop....and then go for a drive and watch that gauge to make sure you dont overheat.
Then what I did was got on the freeway onramp- I floored the gas- and hit 80 in no time- then every now and then on that drive Id floor it to get the revvs up and the water pump to pump fast and expel trapped air.
the next day once the engine cooled overnight- sure enough the coolant level had dropped- refill the overflow bottle.
during the next few days drive etc. and refill the bottle if necessary.

I think the V8's for a while had a coolant line that ran to the throttle body to cool it off (but this was in the V8;s from a few years ago) dont know if its still true.

rbarrios,

you're always on point, thanks much! I read your stats change and the steps you took - I'm actually using that as a guideline. In fact, now that I think about it, (and assuming you had done so), did you simply drain all the coolant when you changed the stat?

If that was the case, you didn't have to mess with a "coolant air bleed hose" - just wondering, and as many people have commented, thanks for that post...

Steve

rbarrios
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
no I didnt drain it. simply replaced what poured out...
just placed a container under the area of the thermo.
removed the hose and it came pouring out.
when you remove the thermostat a bit more will come out.
Im pretty sure its illegal around here to dump coolant.....
But I kept the coolant in the container until I had the empty dexcool refill bottle empty- then i put the used stuff in there- and labeled it USED DIRTY DEXCOOL.... ill be taking it to the Hazardous waste roundup when it comes around.
I have not seen any coolant air bleed hose steps on here...
I know some cars like the Impalas have a little valve or somilar that you open- but that engine design can trap air at that high point... but never really heard of it for the I-6... and if there is one id be very surprissed... actuall shocked...:eek:

onip28
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
no I didnt drain it. simply replaced what poured out...
just placed a container under the area of the thermo.
removed the hose and it came pouring out.
when you remove the thermostat a bit more will come out.
Im pretty sure its illegal around here to dump coolant.....
But I kept the coolant in the container until I had the empty dexcool refill bottle empty- then i put the used stuff in there- and labeled it USED DIRTY DEXCOOL.... ill be taking it to the Hazardous waste roundup when it comes around.
I have not seen any coolant air bleed hose steps on here...
I know some cars like the Impalas have a little valve or somilar that you open- but that engine design can trap air at that high point... but never really heard of it for the I-6... and if there is one id be very surprissed... actuall shocked...:eek:

yeah, you're tellin me...i haven't heard of it either, but it just so happens to be in the Haynes Repair Manual...flipped through the whole book looking for more details, but nothing.

anyways, i'll just do a simple drain/replacement job...from your post as well as other people input's/posts on this site, i think I've built up the knowledge and confidence to do this on my own. I'll surely keep you posted on anything, good or bad experience! Thanks again..:thx:thumbsup:

rbarrios
02-04-2008, 06:49 PM
good luck... dont drop those bolts...