Grinding noise when front wheels turned [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Grinding noise when front wheels turned

ff_sssmokin
03-02-2008, 03:37 PM
All of a sudden, i have a grinding noise when my front wheels are turned all the way to the right or left. You can only hear it when the wheels are cranked all the way. Could this be rack and pinion problem? I do not believe it is the power steering pump and the fluid level is ok.:undecided

Fudge
03-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Could it be brakes? Is it one side or the other?:undecided

ff_sssmokin
03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Don't think it is the brakes as it will do it sitting still. It makes the sound either way, but only when the wheel is turned all the way.

Robert1101
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Open the hood and get your head inside the engine compartment. With it running, have someone turn the wheel. I will place a bet on the powersteering pump, but maybe not. Could be the pump or the front bearing on the pump. :(

brendanpower
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Is it when you are rolling or stopped?
Rolling noises will obviously be a component that turns with the wheels.
Static noises will likley be in the steering/suspension system.

ff_sssmokin
03-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Open the hood and get your head inside the engine compartment. With it running, have someone turn the wheel. I will place a bet on the powersteering pump, but maybe not. Could be the pump or the front bearing on the pump. :(

I tried this and the noise does not seem to be coming from the pump. It is just as loud on both sides of the motor, if not louder on the oposite side.

ff_sssmokin
03-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Is it when you are rolling or stopped?
Rolling noises will obviously be a component that turns with the wheels.
Static noises will likley be in the steering/suspension system.

It does it both when moving or stopped. But, again, the wheel has to be cranked all the way to either side to hear it.

brendanpower
03-02-2008, 09:00 PM
That would rule out CV joints, Brakes, front Diff,

Same noise with the engine off? Harder to turn, but again, narrows down the list.

ff_sssmokin
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Have not tried it with the engine off yet. Need some muscles for that one...lol.

RayVoy
03-02-2008, 09:51 PM
If your holding the wheel hard against the left or right stops, the noise is coming from the power steering pump. When ur hard against a stop, the pump builds pressure, there is a bleed off valve, but it usually doesn't do much of a job. As a rule, it is not a good idea to hold any power steering system against a left or right stop.

ff_sssmokin
03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. Will let you know what they find out.

ff_sssmokin
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't you know it, the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. They blamed the sound on metal "hitting together" on the steering stops. They greased it up and said it is ok. But, yet, it still does the same thing when i left. Go figure.

CoyoteFireGuy
05-23-2009, 12:24 AM
OK, I realize this is a really old thread but it was the best one i could find when I did a search.

Can anybody tell me how to grease the steering stops?

the roadie
05-23-2009, 01:05 AM
The steering stops are a little horn cast into the steering knuckle and the control arm. You can see a bit of the one on the steering knuckle at the bottom of this pic. It's towards the front of the vehicle. Go look at yours.

http://www.roadie.org/susp.jpg

Why are you looking at threads like this? The dealer is an obvious guessing goofball and greasing the stops can't have anything to do with power steering pump or CV joint noise. What symptoms are you having?

CoyoteFireGuy
05-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I am starting to get that knocking/rubbing noise when I make my nightly U-turn from my parking spot on the street after work. I crank the wheel all the way to the left and turn across 4 lanes of traffic. The steering is at the stops when I do this. (can I get an arrow here, lol)

Actually now that I remember the sound, it is more like a thumping. My crown vic did this as well as my mustang. I took the CV to the garage and let them do it and the mustang was under warranty.

the roadie
05-23-2009, 01:21 AM
I am starting to get that knocking/rubbing noise when I make my nightly U-turn from my parking spot on the street after work. I crank the wheel all the way to the left and turn across 4 lanes of traffic. The steering is at the stops when I do this. (can I get an arrow here, lol)More likely to be a CV joint. You're a smart guy and don't need an arrow. Just have somebody turn the wheel until it stops, and you lay on the ground and see what stops it. That joint can grind up and down a tiny bit with suspension movement.

Try your Uturn with the wheels just slightly not on the stop. If it still makes noise, it's the CV.

CoyoteFireGuy
05-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Try your Uturn with the wheels just slightly not on the stop. If it still makes noise, it's the CV.

If I do this, (in chinese accent) me hit telephone pole! :crackup:

and it doesnt do it when not all the way to the stops.

Ok, I am just going by what has happened to me in the past. Your right, I figured it out. I am getting there, with you and a few others on the board help, but I am getting there. :hail:

I am damned and determined, with a buddy's help so I dont get in over my head, to do my list of mods myself! :yes: