Clicking noise at idle in engine bay [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Clicking noise at idle in engine bay

ear60008
03-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I have a clicking noise that is constant in the engine bay at idol. I can't figure it out. It doesn't go faster or slower or louder or quieter it is always the same. Anyone have a similar issue with a fix? It sounds like it is on the drivers side.

ear60008
03-30-2008, 07:36 PM
It is a 2003 envoy I-6.

pvgoheelsunc1
03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm not going to say it with 100% approval. But, 1st thought would be fan-clutch..... Did you get any PCM codes? Fan-clutch code will be 1481. Been talked on this forum many many times..... Do search for fan-clutch.....

ScarabEpic22
03-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Could be you hearing the injectors opening and closing, my 02 ticks a little at idle and its the injectors. If you are running dino oil you might be hearing a little bit of GM lifter tap.

rbarrios
03-31-2008, 01:13 PM
yeah like said..
open the hood- can you hear the ticking from the top YES= either fuel injectors or fan clutch....

close hood. get next to the drivers side wheel well opening- can you hear ticking YES= most likely your fan clutch.

SteveTB03
04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
From what you described it sounds like the fan clutch mine made the same noise

is it a loud clicking noise that sounds kinda like metal hitting plastic? that's what it sounded like to me

ear60008
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Maybe it is my fan clutch or injectors i will get in there and listen tonight. I am using dino oil. The truck has 83k miles.

ear60008
04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
my check engine light is not on and i haven't gotten any codes.

rbarrios
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I believe Ive read on here that you can disconnect the fan clutch wires- and if the ticking stops, you know where it was coming from.....
theres some connector by the fan clutch

petevw
04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
you might be hearing a little bit of GM lifter tap.

Hey Erik, thanks for all the help. But you KNOW that an overhead cam engine doesn't have lifters, right? LOL :laugh: :dielaugh:

gary255
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=19604&highlight=fan+clutch+tick

ayannauriel
10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I have the [I]exact[I] same clicking noise in my engine! I have an '03 Envoy SLE. I've taken it to two different dealers, including the one I bought it from. At first they couldn't get it to do it and thought I was crazy. Then finally when I went to pick it up after having many different repairs it finally clicked while a mechanic was with me. So at least one mechanic knows I'm not just hearing things. My tick is very constant, it does not vary with engine speed, temperature, etc, and is unpredictable. When the mechanic heard it it started a new noise. An occasional "click click" in succession then silence, which is new. My dealer did an entire engine inspection and couldn't find anything. I'm taking it in again tomorrow and was wondering if someone else had figured anything out so I can give them a basis of idea of what to check.

Thanks.

ayannauriel
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Alright, I just got my Envoy back and they found the click. They did an engine inspection and found that my fan speed was too slow. The solution was very simple. They flashed the powertrain control module and sped up the fan. Now it doesn't click anymore! Just another thing to check out if you're having the same issue.

BJWinter
12-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I am experiencing exactly what is described here on my '04 Trailblazer with the in line 6. The only difference is that I don't hear the noise when the engine is cold. It starts once the engine begins to warm up (approx 130) and stops once it reaches operating temp (approx 200). I can hear it in the engine compartment with the hood open, but with the hood closed it is most noticeable from the driver's side wheel well. Could engine temp have anything to do with the way this nose comes and goes if it were a fan clutch, or am I likely looking for a different problem?

ayannauriel
12-19-2008, 09:12 PM
I am experiencing exactly what is described here on my '04 Trailblazer with the in line 6. The only difference is that I don't hear the noise when the engine is cold. It starts once the engine begins to warm up (approx 130) and stops once it reaches operating temp (approx 200). I can hear it in the engine compartment with the hood open, but with the hood closed it is most noticeable from the driver's side wheel well. Could engine temp have anything to do with the way this nose comes and goes if it were a fan clutch, or am I likely looking for a different problem?

You know I'm not sure. My mechanic and I could never find any correlation between my click and any sort of pattern such as temperature. Although when it gets extremely cold, which is does here often. It clicks and makes a horrible fan noise until the engine warms up, and then it's fine. You could be having the same problem, it's really easy for a mechanic to check to see if the speed is correct.

dieselsmoke1234
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Could be something as simple as the clicking the ac compressor makes as it engages and disengages. A lot of people over look it. I have seen numerous people asking about the noise that the compressor makes.

ayannauriel
12-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Could be something as simple as the clicking the ac compressor makes as it engages and disengages. A lot of people over look it. I have seen numerous people asking about the noise that the compressor makes.

Maybe, personally mine was just the fan speed. And was the same as many others have described. It seems to be a common problem with the car. My mechanics did an entire engine diagnostic as well, which is always a good idea to have done once in a while.

RayVoy
12-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Ya know guys, if your still running with the original (or almost original) PCM flash, there are some good things in a new flash.
Any software improvements that have found their way into the new trucks can be added to our older trucks with a $75.00 flash.

Of course, you can also get a new tune (a performance flash from a 3rd party supplier), these usually include all new gm software as well as any changes required by the performance profile. These can be had for a bit more (but not too much more) than the gm update

BJWinter
12-19-2008, 10:09 PM
That is a good idea. I will have to see about getting it in to the dealer for that next week. Thanks for the suggestion!

wardak33
12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
i have a 2002 with a factory PCM (never flashed). Believe it or not the fan clutch on it has never been replaced, and doesn't give me any problems! I'm at 131k miles, but if i were to do a PCM Flash at the dealer, what would i see that would be different?

RayVoy
12-20-2008, 06:14 PM
If your truck is working great, u may not see any improvement.

There may be dozens of updates, but 2 I know of are changes to the temp tables that control the fan on/off; and changes to the off idle tables that prevent "parking lot surge" (truck wanting to surge ahead when you give a little gas and quickly lift off while moving very slowly).

gmcsilvoy04
01-23-2012, 02:52 AM
:hissy:i hope someone is still looking on this thread...my 04 envoy has 68000 on it and is having that ticking noise coming on and off periodicly when idling..if i got a pcm chip would that take care of the random ticking?

tw1809
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
I had the same problem right around the same miles, turned out to be the idler pulley under the alternator. Check to see if you can isolate the sound to that area. Was an easy and cheap fix

07BlazerMan
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Possible fan clutch, mine will occasionally tick and it sounds like it is coming from the fan clutch. As for the chip all it will do is lighten your wallet. If you go with the pcmforless tune, talk to Kelly and ask for the most updated software and it may take care of your ticking issue.