2006 Trailblazer intermitten starting problem [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 2006 Trailblazer intermitten starting problem

bfroman
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi I am new here and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced or knows of this particular problem with the trailblazers. I bought it new in 2006 and haven't really had any problems to speak of.

Recently when I turn the ignition all the way to start it it's like the battery is dead, except the interiors lights are on and the radio is on. I then turn the ignition back and try to start again and it starts fine. It doesn't happen all the time, only a few times recently. Then yesterday I had it idle for approx 3 minutes picking up my son and when I backed up the put it in drive, it started to move then the engine spontaneoulsy shut off, again radio and lights on. Turned off and back on, no problems.

Does this sound like anything anyone has dealt with? And if so what is likely the problem?

Thanks in advance for any response :crazy:

Clockman06LT
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Maybe an ignition switch going bad, I've read on here that they can go bad and your symptoms sound familiar to this problem.
Someone else may chime in with more info... :undecided

GusMan
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Chances are, it is your ignition switch. Once you reach I think 10 posts you can do a search on that term and you will find that it is a common problem.

The only thing that does not fit into the usual ignition switch problem is your report of stalling. I know that did not happen for me, but maybe others can chime in if they had or know of that happening as well.

rjgnwdc
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
but to be sure just take it back to your friendly dealership :thumbsup:

mustang_5l
10-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm having the same issue. It all started the other day when I went to start the vehicle, It didn't want to start when It turned over. The second attempt it started and was running rough. It was popping and backfiring which sounded like popcorn. but it soon smoothed out with no more issues. Later that day I was driving over a bridge when I heard a loud pop like a gun going off and then lost all engine power. Luckly I was on the way down the bridge and was able to coast down to a safe area and stop. I went to re-start the vehicle and turned the key and nothing... I cycled the key again and vroom, started strait away. Now it seems that if I leave the vehicle for a few hours in garage or parking lot it will do the same thing. It won't even turn over on the first try but will start normally on the second attempt. You can hear all the circuts and stuff working behind the dash but alas no ignition start on the first turn of the key. Any Ideas? I just got back from the dealership this AM and could not reproduce the problem so they wouldn't look at it.

BTW... No codes came up when they scanned it.:weird:
2006 Buick Rainier I6 AWD

Super 88
10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd bet money on the ignition switch.

wardak33
10-23-2008, 03:13 PM
:iagree:

mustang_5l
10-26-2008, 01:48 AM
To add to my previos post, The Rainier would not start at all when I went to gas up this evening. Took about 5 minutes of cursing and swearing at it til it finally caved in and started. When it wouldn't start I noticed that none of the gauge cluster was working at all and the only thing that was on was the battery light and the dash lights where illuminated. It was also locked in park so I couldn't push it out of the way... even when the key was in and depressed the brake pedal. Pissed me right off.
Later in the evening after dinner out I was going start the truck again and it wouldn't start... same thing. So after a few well placed smacks to the steering column she finally started again and drove home. I called the dealer and have an apointment Monday AM and I am not leaving til they fix this freaking problem. My wife is due this week to have our first child and I'm not going to be stuck in the garage when the time comes to go to the hospital!:hissy: