Windshield Wiper and Washer Not Working Properly [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Windshield Wiper and Washer Not Working Properly

mubai
10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I need all of you experts to help figure out how to fix this problem:

Yesterday, my windshield wipers wouldn't turn on from positions 1-5, only on 6 and 7; fast and really fast. Also, the washer doesn't work at all, I checked to see if the motor was working, but it wasn't for the front windshield washers.

I then checked the rear wipers and washers work fine. The headlight washers also work fine. All of this comes from the reservoir and pump, right?

I next checked all of the fuses and even though they were fine, I still replaced them. Still no luck. The only thing I didn't replace with the relay (big gray boxey looking thing in the fuse box that says Omicron).

On my drive back from PepBoys (where I got the fuses), the position 1 on the wipers was working, but no other position, except 7 (really fast). Now, I got back to work, position 7 (really fast) only works.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? I know with the TrailVoy brain power we can figure it out. Thanks in advance!

RayVoy
10-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, you got yourself a problem.

For starters, there is only one reservoir, but 3 pumps. One for each washer. The fuse for the windshield pump is #9, the relay is #42 (under hood fuse box). The ground (for the relay) is provided by the control module in the wiper motor assembly.

The switch is part of the multi-function switch (used for turns and heads as well). The switch has a number of positions for speed control (really, it's a pause control) and a low speed and a high speed position (plus mist). The low speed and pause positions use a number of resistors to signal the control module (different resistor value = different pause selected). The high speed has a separate signal circuit.
Your problem could be the switch.
The wiper motor is under the hood and contains the speed control module. This environment is not too friendly, and water has been known to get into the motor. Your problem is intermittent and my guess is a bad motor assembly

mubai
10-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, you got yourself a problem.

For starters, there is only one reservoir, but 3 pumps. One for each washer. The fuse for the windshield pump is #9, the relay is #42 (under hood fuse box). The ground (for the relay) is provided by the control module in the wiper motor assembly.

The switch is part of the multi-function switch (used for turns and heads as well). The switch has a number of positions for speed control (really, it's a pause control) and a low speed and a high speed position (plus mist). The low speed and pause positions use a number of resistors to signal the control module (different resistor value = different pause selected). The high speed has a separate signal circuit.
Your problem could be the switch.
The wiper motor is under the hood and contains the speed control module. This environment is not too friendly, and water has been known to get into the motor. Your problem is intermittent and my guess is a bad motor assembly

OK, so I just replaced my wiper motor (August 08) with a remanufactured motor (www.autopartsgiant.com). So do you think that's causing both issues: washer and the finicky wipers? What does the wiper motor have to do with the washer? I want to hear you say, "it's the motor," so that I can just get it replaced, but I fear it's the switch. I priced the switch and it's between $110 - $160. I can't imagine it's easy to fix.

The high speed on a separate circuit really explains part of the problem. Thanks for your insight and if you have anymore information, I'm all ears.

I have a tutorial with pics of my wiper install, but haven't posted it, yet. Will do that this weekend.

RayVoy
11-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I want to hear you say, "it's the motor," so that I can just get it replaced, Your not gonna get me to point definitively at a part and say that's where your problem is. With out hands on testing, your only getting a guess from me.

You did not say that the motor was replaced (if you did I missed it), I called motor because I assumed it was original. The electronic controls for the wipers are inside the motor, the switch is only the input for the electronics.
Don't be mis-lead, the switch is complex and it can fail. The switch can be tested, but it will take some time and perhaps require removal.

mubai
11-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Sorry, I didn't mention the motor replacement earlier. Today, I took apart the cowl and pulled the electronic connection to the windshield wiper motor and noticed some blue sticky, kind of wet stuff on the Black and Yellow connection going to the windshield wiper motor. I cleaned it off and used a hair dryer to dry it off, but still didn't work.

I may need to take it to the dealer if it's the switch. The estimate over the phone is nearly $300 ($170 for the switch, the rest labor).

I drive 100 miles a day and I can't not have my windshield washers working. I'll make due with high speed wipers but I need washers. :sadcry:

Thanks for all of your help RayVoy.

RayVoy
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Your welcome, but I am afraid I haven't been much help.

That switch is very complex and I can see why it's $170, maybe a junkyard switch would be a good investment.

mubai
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I replaced the wiper motor and everything works fine now: wipers, intermittent, washer pump. The problem was not the switch.

Some water got into the connection, because one of the connectors was corroded and the gasket (yellow rubber thing) was on the wrong side of the connection. Or the motor may have been bad from the beginning. Anyway, I used a healthy amount of electrical tape over the connections to prevent any water from getting in.

chevyhelp
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I have the same wiper problem. Work on high, no intermittent or washer. I have replaced the wiper motor and the switch in the column. I have changed the fuses and the relays. Still have the problem. The books says there are both a fuse and a "circuit breaker" for the wiper, but there is not a breaker in either panel for wipers. Wipers only fuse is 33 in the under seat panel. The washer is fuse 9 under hood and relay/breaker 42 underhood. Any other guesses.

the roadie
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
You're correct on the fuses and relay. High speed is a circuit designed to bypass the control module, for safety in the rain in case of an electronic failure of the logic module. All your other failed functions are controlled by the logic module near the motor. If you've changed the column switch, and the motor, did you get a motor assy that also contains a new logic module?

If you did, then all I can think is wiring between the switch and the module. Do you have a meter and know how to use it if I gave you some signals to probe up at the motor/module assy?

mubai
04-06-2009, 05:21 PM
The wiring harness to the motor may be corroded, if water got into it. You may need to replace that pigtail of wires. I'm no expert, just experienced the debacle. And in my case, the wiper motor went bad again or like I said before it just got wet...who knows! it works now.

chevyhelp
04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll check for corrosion, and meter out each function to see if I can find the problem. I'll let you know.