Rear Clicking noise [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Rear Clicking noise

dirtroadkid
12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. Great Site.

My 2002 Envoy XLT is making a clicking noise in the rear passenger side(cargo area). It sounds like the HVAC Mode Actuator Door went bad. After about 5 minutes of running it stops and sometimes the rear heat works and sometimes not. I have searched this site but only found information regarding replacing the front. So the question is, Is there a HVAC Mode Actuator Door in the rear or is the noise someting else and how do you fix it?:confused:

On a side note I repalced my Actuator Door in my 97 Lincoln, talk about a PITA. It was a pretty scary site seeing the entire dash lying on the front seat.

Ray Dockrey
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
According to AllData it is behind the passenger side panel in the cargo area. Both the temp door actuator and mode actuator is there.

dirtroadkid
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks. It seemed to me that removing that rear panel looked difficult, as in "I hope not to break the panel". I will take a look at it tonight.

deskpro590
12-08-2008, 12:22 AM
The noise just started recently and seems to be sporadic. I will look to the HVAC to see if that is the issue.

jfisher_inMO
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
My '04 T'blazer just started this last night. It will do it until the car has had a chance to warm up. Something that might be worth noting, is that the ambient temp here was 10F last night and 6F in the morning. My thoughts were that one of the doors might be sticking because condensate might have froze them shut. Was it cold where you were at when you noticed this problem? To me, it sounds like an electric motor trying to open something that cannot be.
Being somewhat unfamiliar with the mechanism, is there a way that I could shut the car off in a mode that would leave the doors open? Any other thoughts?

acbrown64
01-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I have an 2004 GMC Envoy XL, and the clicking sound is coming from the rear passenger quarter panel. I removed the rear panel and unplug the connector where the clicking sound was coming from. It stopped but the rear heating and air condiction still doesn't work.

firebear
02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
welp until 2 days ago turned the control over to defrost and there goes the clicking noise noticed when i turn the rear blower on that it starts clicking but only when the front is in defrost mode turn the ac on and i get cold air no noise so im guessing that the acuator for the door is out or to that affect,....
just to verify only clicks in defrost every other mode no noise get air out of the roof vents when wanted and floor vents when wanted

so when removing the rear plastic panel is there a trick as not to break anything? and are the actuators easily accessable/replacable?

acbrown64
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I had my 2004 Envoy XL at the dealership last week and they told me I needed a new Rear HVAC Control Module (P/N 15250198-245-00). Quoted me a price of $496.00 . I told them not to replace it, so I found it online at AC-Direct for $106.00. AC-Direct P/N ACDelco 15-73231. I will get it this week and replace it this weekend. I will let everyone know how I make out.

jfisher_inMO
02-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I had my 2004 Envoy XL at the dealership last week and they told me I needed a new Rear HVAC Control Module (P/N 15250198-245-00). Quoted me a price of $496.00 . I told them not to replace it, so I found it online at AC-Direct for $106.00. AC-Direct P/N ACDelco 15-73231. I will get it this week and replace it this weekend. I will let everyone know how I make out.

That is good to hear... I have been putting this off problem off, possibly fearing that it would be an expensive/pain-in-the-rear fix...

I hope it goes (went) well, let us know when you get a chance.

jbs3232
03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I just bought a 2004 Envoy XL and had to replace the Actuator on the passenger rear side in the back. Took the actuator apart and the teeth were broke off two of the plastic gears inside. It's a pretty easy inexpensive fix. Panel comes off fairly easy and the actuator itself is a plug and play unit. Good Luck

Long time lurker, first time poster. Great Site.

My 2002 Envoy XLT is making a clicking noise in the rear passenger side(cargo area). It sounds like the HVAC Mode Actuator Door went bad. After about 5 minutes of running it stops and sometimes the rear heat works and sometimes not. I have searched this site but only found information regarding replacing the front. So the question is, Is there a HVAC Mode Actuator Door in the rear or is the noise someting else and how do you fix it?:confused:

On a side note I repalced my Actuator Door in my 97 Lincoln, talk about a PITA. It was a pretty scary site seeing the entire dash lying on the front seat.

Boothroyd
10-24-2009, 12:01 AM
My blower fan would keep running after the engine was turned off. After reading the forums, I learned the blow resistor module was the problem on my 2005 Isuzu Ascender. I removed it today but could not find a replacement in town. I had to go Ebay to order the part. But, I am also finding out it is difficult to find parts because Jackson, MS no longer has an Isuzu dealership. I know the Isuzu is a rebadged Envoy. So, I figured that I could just buy Envoy parts when I purchased the vehicle. I am pleased with the Ascender, but it does become a pain to find parts.

I am also disappointed that GM discontinued the Trailblazer, Envoy and Ascender. It is a good design and performs well. I think sometimes Consumer Reports and the media bashes the American car companies a little too much. My wife drove the Pilot and could not figure out what was so great about the vehicle.

Again thanks for the help guys.

Bobby

env04
04-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Was that the part that you needed? My GMC ENVOY 04 XL has the same problem and was hoping it worked for you.....so i can order one thanks alot :) :thx

03TB EXT
07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Read all the posts, had this problem myself, started last summer and would not go quiet unless I turned off the rear unit. Now that I want to sell the truck (03 EXT) I checked and it's still there.

A bit of fun to get to, but not too bad. Numbers on the actuator are as follows: 47210105 0010549 AH21012002. This matches up with nothing, according to the Dealer. But, they have the part, for $186!

Did some looking around and was able to determine the part number as 88892975, on "GM Parts Giant" and "GM Parts Direct". It referenced the 47210105 number, and matched the actuator in appearence. Only with the 88892975 number was I able to locate on Amazon. Ordering tonight, $41.05 plus some shipping.

Note, this was the motor to the front of the rear A/C unit fan. There are two actuators on the unit, and both appear physically to be the same, with variation in the third set of digits only.

Root cause, taking the original actuator apart, is a missing tooth on the "bull gear", the final gear that actually moves the blend door. Not repairable, and cannot rotate the gear due to the spline alignment.

Appreciate the posts above, helped me get to the solution sooner. Hope my post helps!

Jamigger
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Mine just started yesterday, it is very annoying. Just called my mechanic to price out the part for me. I am also shopping around in the meantime. I have spent a lot of money in the past two years for my envoy including rear spoiler replacment and paint job, passenger side air bag sensor, liftgate module, front HVAC module, power steering hose, and tune-up. I just need a break:hissy:

gtiplus
12-09-2011, 10:45 PM
This thread was just what I needed. I just started hearing the clicking today. Thanks

onesmartcookie
02-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Reading these posts puts me in the right direction. Is this easy enough for a girl to fix? I sure hope so....

wertyfarmer
02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
So how do you get the panel off. Iremoved all of the screws and it still seems stuck. I'm a little scared to just yank on it. Any help would be great. My wife lets me know every day that it is still clicking.

Thanks,
Wertyfarmer

screenburn
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
ok got my pannel off in the rear and both my actuators are bad. Is ther anything i need to know when installing the new versions? Do they need calibrated or do they just drop in place.

tmn8tr
12-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Howdy folks, I'm a lurker, finally posting 'cause the TB "todo list" keeps growing. Was a Dodge boy until my 5.9RT Durango died on me in Aug. I came over to the dark side when my wife spotted our '05 TB EXT at a dealership.
I must say, I love the mileage compared to the "D".
Yesterday morning I fired her up (outside temp 7 degrees.) and immediately heard what sounded like someone knock, knock, knocking on my rear passenger fender. I jumped out to beat someone, and there was nobody there. After about 5 min. it ceased. Today it resumed in the same fashion. so I see here others with around the same generation have or are having the same problem. Is it a common enough thing to write up a guide on it, and if so any pointers on where to begin, and what not to do from those of you who have been down this trail.
Thanks
>T:ugh:

Beakersloco
12-04-2013, 09:26 PM
New trailblazer ext owner here and as of right now cant afford to do the repair,(christmas stuff and other bills) whats the easiest way I can stop the irritating clicking , is there a fuse I can pull to stop the clicking and still maintain the front heating/air or will I have to actually have to unplug the part itself in the rear panel ? After the rear stops clicking the one next to the rear controls also starts clicking. I also have front fan issues (works but have to turn it all the way up to get heat )and after playing with the rear controls 1 day later the rear starts clicking ....

Also if my rear heating controls wont stay on(on the panel that rear passengers access) would that also be part of the problem ?

Thanks in advance

Im trying to make a parts list of stuff so that in a month or so I can plan for this repair and have the AC up and running before it gets hot.

Beakersloco
12-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Anybody ???

I have found out that apparently my rear controls were replaced as I popped them out to unplug them to see if that stopped my rear and the actuator below the controls from clicking.

Question is how do I know if the correct one is in my truck or not. I assume it was replaced because there was writing on the back of the panel so it makes me think it was pulled out of a junkyard. I also know that my problems did not start till I played with the panel one night(rear fan inoperable) and then 2 days later the clicking began.

greyuser
03-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Hi, wondering if someone might be able to answer a question.

I'm experiencing this clicking noise as mentioned in the thread. It happens after the car's been sitting for a little while and it sounds as though it's coming from the rear passenger side. It's an automated clicking noise.. clicks about six times repeatedly for a few minutes, as though something is trying to open.

I'm thinking it's the same clicking noise as previously discussed here and I'm wondering if someone could explain what the problem is and if it's something that needs to be immediately fixed.

Also, this noise just recently occurred, immediately after someone left a note on my car saying that they had "tapped" my bumper but didn't see any obvious damage. Wondering if this is a coincidence or if the "tap" could be what caused the problem. Just wondering before I contact them to let them know that there might have been some other damage.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

danlyons70
12-05-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm planning to dig into the rear passenger side panel to unplug the actuator that is the source of the "clicking noise" - (don't care if the rear air goes off in Chicago in the winter) - could someone please point me to where I can find the simple instructions on how to remove the panel without breaking something?

Unfortunately, I have a bad track record of breaking parts when I don't know the "tricks" - I know you guys can relate.

Thanks in advance.