How to replace your stepper motor [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: How to replace your stepper motor

Pages : [1] 2

CHAVEZ
12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Due to the number of PMs I receive on how to replace a stepper motor I figured I may as well post the how-to. Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

How to Replace Gauge Cluster Stepper Motor
If the needles in your gauge cluster flutter, stick, or stop working you may have a bad stepper motor.
Dealerships want $400-$700 to replace the whole cluster, but you can replace just the motor for around $10.

Time: 1-2 hours

Cost: About $10 for 1 stepper motor (part: X-C5-168 or X-25-168)

Tools:
Stepper Motor/s
Phillips Head Screwdriver
9/32 Socket
Soldering Iron
Solder

Step 1 (Remove dash faceplate)
Follow the instructions found in the following link to remove the dash faceplate:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=6459
You will need to unplug all the wiring harnesses for lights, 4-wheel drive, and rear wipers.

Step 2 (Remove gauge cluster)
You will now be able to access the gauge cluster. Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place and then unplug the wiring harness.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic1.jpg

Step 3 (Disassemble cluster)
The cluster is constructed from 3 pieces which are held together with clips. Remove the front clear cover by unfastening the clips.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic2.jpg

You will now have access to the gauge needles.
**IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW CALIBRATION STEPS PRECISELY***
Place tape at the end of each needle.

Turn each needle counter-clockwise until it stops as shown below and then mark off the location on the tape with a pen. If you do this, you should have no issues with calibration when you reassemble.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic3.jpg

Once you have your positions marked, turn each needle counter-clockwise until it breaks free from the shaft. Then use a fork to pry each needle off. It will take a little force, but just be slow.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic4.jpg

Unfasten the remaining clips that hold the back cluster cover in place and remove. You will then be able to pull the circuit board off.

Notice the 6 stepper motors, each about the size of a quarter.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic5.jpg

Step 4 (Replace stepper motor)

On the reverse side of the circuit board you will need to desolder the 4 points that are holding the motor on. These are easy to determine as they stick up a bit more.
Heat the solder and use a solder-sucker to remove the solder. If you don't have a solder-sucker, you can have an extra hand pry at the motor from the other side as you heat.
**Just be careful not to heat things up too much as this is a circuit board and you can harm other components if not careful.
I was replacing my speedometer motor, so I desoldered the following points.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic6.jpg

Once the old motor is off, make sure the holes are clear of solder and put your new motor in.
Resolder your 4 points and place the circuit board on the back cover. Fasten the overlay piece back on now.
Now press each needle back on in the 12 o-clock position. Then turn each needle back to your mark on the tape. If you miss the mark just keep turning counter-clockwise until you come around again.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/wdwhite03/StepperMotor/pic7.jpg

To test things out, plug the wiring harness back to the cluster. You should immediately see the needles jump down and then up to the original 'zero' points.
Make sure the needle for your new motor moved. You should really test this out first before reassembling everything to make sure your needles go back to their original points.
Typically, the gas gauge needle is a tick or so below empty. My RPM gauge was also about 100 rpm under zero at the rest position, so I made sure they were exactly in the same spot after I plugged the cluster back in.
Yours may differ slightly.
Once you determine your needles are correct, just snap the clear plastic cover back on the gauge.

Step 5 (Reassemble)

Attach the cluster back to the dash and reassemble the dash in reverse order.

You are done!

billdaman
12-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for this, very nice work!

Chevy-TB-lover
12-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Awesome How-to!!!
good job!:woot:

rbarrios
12-05-2008, 12:35 PM
lots of people here will love you for this....

bolacha
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Well it's time for me to replace my stepper motor on my Tach, and my oil pressure guage which pegged out today (engine on ~100psi, engine off ~60psi). Are there any brands of stepper motors that I should be looking for and/or try to avoid?

mudracer
12-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I was curious. Are the lights in the instrument cluster plug in or solder in? I have a few burnt out and would like to replace them.

Blazernut
12-18-2008, 05:27 AM
You must solder in some new ones. And pick some funky colors while you are at it. Some guys go red or blue.:m2:

:thumbsup:GREAT ARTICLE BY THE WAY!!!!!:thumbsup: :woohoo:

trailballer
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM
just a quick question.....my tach shakes when it moves. doesn't move smooth at all. somtimes (about once a week) it will read off by 1 to 2k rpms? is this the stepper motor or somthing else?

it seems that everyones does somthing different but i am just wondering. thanks

srtoperator
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
How do I calibrate the needles if my tach is already dead and just points south all of the time?:mad:

Good How-to. I will be using it as soon as I get my hands on some stepper motors. Also what kind of bulbs does the dash use? I was thinking of replacing them with some LEDs.

gordinho80
12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
:thumbsup:GREAT ARTICLE BY THE WAY!!!!!:thumbsup: :woohoo:

AGREED!! This needs to be an article!

TrailblazerLT02
12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
How do I calibrate the needles if my tach is already dead and just points south all of the time?:mad:

Good How-to. I will be using it as soon as I get my hands on some stepper motors. Also what kind of bulbs does the dash use? I was thinking of replacing them with some LEDs.

Yeah my spedo isn't dead but it drops down below the 0 mark. Will it just go back to where it is supposed to be after replacing the motor?

Ricky81
12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Great article!! Good to know if that time comes!!

Raydar
01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Awesome article!

My TB just started acting up a few weeks ago. The tach has a mind of its own, the oil pressure is pegged, and the speedo is beginning to flutter.

I'm not afraid of electronics, but there's nothing like "having your hand held" the entire way. :D

Many thanks! :thumbsup:

HECTORG
01-08-2009, 12:59 AM
has anybody actually tried this yet and if so was it difficult?

Raydar
01-08-2009, 05:28 AM
has anybody actually tried this yet and if so was it difficult?

Did you read the 1st page?

Chavez (the OP) did it. Created the thread to explain how.

I ordered all 6 motors last night.
I'll post my results when I finish.

Mezball
01-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Did you read the 1st page?

Chavez (the OP) did it. Created the thread to explain how.

I ordered all 6 motors last night.
I'll post my results when I finish.

Where did you order the motors from? My tach has been acting up, and I have two blubs out. Figure it is time to replace them.

Raydar
01-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Where did you order the motors from? My tach has been acting up, and I have two blubs out. Figure it is time to replace them.

From this guy...
http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-SALES-AND-SERVICE

The stepper motors are on the second page of his store, presently. (I'm assuming they'll move around as auctions come and go.) I didn't look for bulbs, but he might have them, too.

He's selling them for $4.80 each, but also has some auctions with multiple motors. Pay attention to the quantities.

Got an email that it shipped yesterday, after ordering in the middle of the night. Guy has *stellar* feedback.

billnichols
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Where can you get the stepper motors? The dealer says you have to buy the whole cluster.

the roadie
01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Just do an Ebay search for "trailblazer stepper". They're there.

CHAVEZ
01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
There are 2 ebay sellers I know that still sell them, mandigital and digital_dash_solutions.

HECTORG
01-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Hey guys, just letting you know that i have succesfully performed stepper motor transplant. I replaced my speedometer motor & it was really easy. No more guessing on how fast i'm going.:woot:

thatguy3524
01-22-2009, 01:31 AM
From this guy...
http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-SALES-AND-SERVICE

The stepper motors are on the second page of his store, presently. (I'm assuming they'll move around as auctions come and go.) I didn't look for bulbs, but he might have them, too.

He's selling them for $4.80 each, but also has some auctions with multiple motors. Pay attention to the quantities.

Got an email that it shipped yesterday, after ordering in the middle of the night. Guy has *stellar* feedback.

Just ordered one for my speedo from this guy about an hour ago... now i'm looking forward to doin the project itself this weekend :hopeless

and a couple of people have asked questions about the LED's you can solder in... where can those be found?? what do they look like? and do they need anything more done than simply soldering them in?

Jay Bird
01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Purchased 6 stepper motors on e-bay and installed them several weeks ago with no issues. Now I notice that one of the dash lights is not working. I would like to replace all 8 with leds. Does anyone know what voltage led is required?

freddyboy61
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Just had the chance to read this thread, Chavez that was a great write up and pictures. I have a question when the needles get reinstalled, you set them at 12 o'clock and then turn them back to the original marked position. Do you turn CCW or CW? Does it matter? And you say if you past, turn CCW, is that right.

Also, there were several members who asked about what if their needles didn't go to the normal spot originally, does that matter to establish the marking point.

So many questions:crazy:, but this a great repair write up.

dex_04
01-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I just did this tonight and it turned out great! The directions were very detailed.

To answer your question about CCW vs CW: You turn CCW to the spot that you marked after pushing the needle down from the "zero" spot until it stops.

As soon as you plug the cluster into its port the needles will immediately return to the "zero" point (without the key in the "on" position). It helps to make two marks: One representing the original "zero" point and a second mark for the amount of space you move the needle prior to removing it from its stem.

I think my RPM could have stood to been about a tick below "0" on the gauge. Regardless, everything works fine.

Hope this helps!

sdhsg
02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
:thumbsup:GM is now accepting the fact that there is a problem with the instrument cluster. I just had mine replaced for for free. I have a 2004 with 46k on it. My tach and speedo both when feetup. I took it to my dealer and they replaced it for free after talking with GM. So start talking to your service REP and see what they can do for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks Hotrod Surfer

rubble
02-04-2009, 10:05 PM
this is gonna sound kinda dumb but, can you buy a new instrument cluster already put together and just pop it in and connect the wiring harness and thats it? this will be my first time trying to solder anything and im alittle worried ill really screw things up. and if you can buy one already to plug and play can someone post a link on where to get one?
thanks

dkdk
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey SD Did the dealer give you a campaign number they fixed it under. Heading to the dealer Thursday 2-12 for a fix

billdaman
02-10-2009, 03:23 PM
:thumbsup:GM is now accepting the fact that there is a problem with the instrument cluster. I just had mine replaced for for free. I have a 2004 with 46k on it. My tach and speedo both when feetup. I took it to my dealer and they replaced it for free after talking with GM. So start talking to your service REP and see what they can do for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks Hotrod Surfer

Any chance you can post a scanned copy of the service order with the repair code and the N/C?

KHill
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
@rubble, yes you can though they generally run 200 to 300 dollars and are totally not worth the money.

As for the article, GREAT ARTICLE :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will soon be using this as a prelim guide to replace those darned lightbulbs behind my gauges.

Thanks
Keith

(100th! :woohoo:)

cdpyjs
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Great write up. I just ordered mine yesterday and should have them next week. FWIW I ordered mine from mandigital on ebay...he answered all my questions quickly and shipped it right out.

cdpyjs
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Ok, I got my parts and had it changed out in about 40 min. A couple differences in what I did compared to the original write up. CHAVEZ was pretty much right on, but the link to remove your instrument cluster is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Remove 2 screws from the top of your knee bolster, remove the two screws behind that for the cluster bezel and the two from the top of the bezel and pull it out of the way. Once you look at it, it will be self explanatory.
Next remove the 4 bolts holding in the cluster like CHAVEZ shows.

He mentions unplugging multiple harnesses, but I only had to unplug the one at the top as seen below. Once out, take it apart and mark as mentioned. The new parts come with instructions also.

It was very easy. Glad I did it, thanks for the write up.:thumbsup:

e019404
03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
My 16 year old son and I just did this to fix the speedometer. It was very easy to follow and saved us alot of money. Thanks alot.

CHAVEZ
03-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Glad this is assisting other.

Cdpyjs,
Thanks for an easier way to remove the cluster. I had heard you didn't have to remove the full front panel, so that's good to know.

DAVE

MAY03LT
03-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Another satisfied user of this how-to:thx

keitho64
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Excellent information, thank you for writing this up. :thx

I just ordered some stepper motors and plan to do this as soon as they come in. This looks very straight forward.

I have one question, has anyone had a problem getting the needles back to their '0' base after installation?

MAY03LT
04-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I have one question, has anyone had a problem getting the needles back to their '0' base after installation?

i had a bigger problem with the needles that did not get new motors, the one that got a new motor went to 0 without a problem

cdpyjs
04-02-2009, 11:16 AM
When I did mine, I followed the instructions, but my fuel gauge was just a half notch off full when I filled it up and my speedo was off by 2 mph (according to the gps) so I'm going to go back in and adjust. I would say when you go to "seat" them to the left hand positions when marking them, just use slight pressure, they're probably fine where they rest as is.:m2:

alisonsenvoy
04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Dare I say "this is so easy a caveman can do it?" Good write up. No more 140mph (indicated) through the neighborhood.

keitho64
04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
This is good to hear, my motors came in today and I hope to get this done in the next couple of days.

zooy
04-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Installation of two motors went smooth, besides an oversight on my part. I marked where the needles came to rest instead of where they stop when light pressure is applied! :bonk: In the end, all of my gauges were not calibrated correctly.

I was able to get the speedo close using GPS, and I've tried to adjust the remaining based on normal operating position. I just don't know how to calibrate the fuel gauge.

cdpyjs
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Installation of two motors went smooth, besides an oversight on my part. I marked where the needles came to rest instead of where they stop when light pressure is applied! :bonk: In the end, all of my gauges were not calibrated correctly.

I was able to get the speedo close using GPS, and I've tried to adjust the remaining based on normal operating position. I just don't know how to calibrate the fuel gauge.What I was going to do was go fill it up and see where it rests. Mine is not quite on the full mark so I was going to move it to the right about a half notch. A full tank is the only way I can suggest.:m2:

Catfish_SS
04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Why isent this an article yet!!! Just ordered my motor.:woohoo:

keitho64
04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the excellent write up. I just replaced the motors on my Oil Pressure and Speedometer. Definitely an easy job. It cost me $20 for the stepper motors and about 2 hours of time.

This was MUCH easier than replacing the bulbs in the radio.

MajesticLT03
04-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I made this a sticky so its readily accessible to people who have this problem :thumbsup:

Catfish_SS
04-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Awesome!!!:thumbsup::thx

its_sak
04-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I was gonna attempt replacing the speedometer stepper motor this weekend, i just wanted to know....is it vital to remove all of the instrument needles, or just the motor that you're going to replace?

cdpyjs
04-22-2009, 07:51 AM
I was gonna attempt replacing the speedometer stepper motor this weekend, i just wanted to know....is it vital to remove all of the instrument needles, or just the motor that you're going to replace?
IIRC, you have to remove them all to get to the motors behind the cluster face.

keitho64
04-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Yes you must pull all the needles to replace any stepper motor. The instructions here are right on. When I reinstalled my needles I plugged the dash in and started the vehicle to ensure they were all positioned correctly. I did need to adjust the speedometer and tach a couple of times but that was last weekend and it is all good. One other word of caution, you may see the "Service 4WD Drive" light on. This is just because the switch on the dash is unplugged. Once you have everything connected it will go away.

cdpyjs
04-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Yes you must pull all the needles to replace any stepper motor. The instructions here are right on. When I reinstalled my needles I plugged the dash in and started the vehicle to ensure they were all positioned correctly. I did need to adjust the speedometer and tach a couple of times but that was last weekend and it is all good. One other word of caution, you may see the "Service 4WD Drive" light on. This is just because the switch on the dash is unplugged. Once you have everything connected it will go away.Guys, please read my updates. You do not need to remove any dash panels expect the cluster and two screws from the knee bolster. I think it was about 8-10 screws total. You shouldn't have to unplug anything but the instrument cluster itself.

keitho64
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Guys, please read my updates. You do not need to remove any dash panels expect the cluster and two screws from the knee bolster. I think it was about 8-10 screws total. You shouldn't have to unplug anything but the instrument cluster itself.

I did read your post but in my case I took the dash off because I was also fixing the bulbs in my radio as well as the stepper motor. I did post that on the radio thread but forgot to mention that here. So if you are only replacing the stepper motors then this is correct and will save a lot of time.

MajesticLT03
04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Guys, please read my updates. You do not need to remove any dash panels expect the cluster and two screws from the knee bolster. I think it was about 8-10 screws total. You shouldn't have to unplug anything but the instrument cluster itself.

you do realize that the trailblazer has that big dash panel that wraps over to the AC and radio that needs to be removed to get to the cluster :thumbsup:

cdpyjs
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
you do realize that the trailblazer has that big dash panel that wraps over to the AC and radio that needs to be removed to get to the cluster :thumbsup:Sorry, I am referring to an Envoy, I didn't even think about it being different. Thanks for pointing that out.:thumbsup:

JD
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Can the vehicle be started and driven with the gauge cluster removed without causing problems?

Catfish_SS
04-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Guys, please read my updates. .

Now why would I want to do that?!?!?!?! :rotfl::crackup::rotfl::crackup:

keitho64
04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Can the vehicle be started and driven with the gauge cluster removed without causing problems?

I am not sure if any problems would arise from driving without the cluster. I do not know how much the computer interacts with it. I think all the settings are read by the computer from the sensors, not the cluster.

Sorry I cannot give you a better answer. I did move mine out of the garage without the cluster so I know it will start and run. I did not travel anywhere.

JD
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks Keith, that's all I'm looking to do as well.

kawi13x
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the awesome instructions. Mine went smooth.:woot:

illinijeff
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
New to the site and have some questions about this.

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT with 130,000 miles.

My gas guage doesn't read at all, well sometimes it goes to just a quarter tank for a few seconds then drops again. Also, my speedometer reads normally but after about 45 minutes it starts to steadily slow down til it is below zero even though I'm doing 75 on the highway.

Do you guys think if I order two stepper motor's (one for each) it will fix these problems?

Thanks in advance!

keitho64
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
New to the site and have some questions about this.

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT with 130,000 miles.

My gas guage doesn't read at all, well sometimes it goes to just a quarter tank for a few seconds then drops again. Also, my speedometer reads normally but after about 45 minutes it starts to steadily slow down til it is below zero even though I'm doing 75 on the highway.

Do you guys think if I order two stepper motor's (one for each) it will fix these problems?

Thanks in advance!

I would say yes. That is how my oil pressure and speedometer were working. It has been over a week since I replaced mine and everything is working great. (knocking on wood now)

illinijeff
04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
The only motors I can find are from mandigital and its a set of 6 for 35 dollars. Should I go with these? Should I replace all of them while I have it torn apart?

Is it the same directions to take apart the 05 envoy as the 03 TB?

Thanks for the help guys!

JD
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
My tach, speedo, and now oil pressure guage are acting up. Glad I ordered all 6, they arrived tonight. Going to put them in this weekend or early next week.

Ordered from the ebay store posted previously, 6 stepper motors for $28.80 shipped. :woot:

illinijeff
04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
My tach, speedo, and now oil pressure guage are acting up. Glad I ordered all 6, they arrived tonight. Going to put them in this weekend or early next week.

Ordered from the ebay store posted previously, 6 stepper motors for $28.80 shipped. :woot:

What kind of car do you have? Mine came up to 35 plus shipping.

MajesticLT03
04-30-2009, 01:35 AM
What kind of car do you have? Mine came up to 35 plus shipping.

they all use the same stepper motor so no worries on if it fits or not

JD
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
04 TB, like Majestic said they are all the same. They motors are listed under Silverado steppers in the title but once you open the listing you'll see they are all part number X25-168.

Check them out here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-2003-2004-2005-X25168-SILVERADO-GAUGE-STEPPER-MOTORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1 262QQcategoryZ33678QQihZ022QQitemZ350185536477#ht_ 1737wt_1197

illinijeff
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I bought the 6 motors off of ebay yesterday for 27 dollars shipped. I plan on replacing them sometime next week. I have an 05 Envoy is it the same removing the dash instructions as the one listed for the older trailblazers? Thanks!

its_sak
05-07-2009, 12:14 AM
The link in step 1 has dash removal instructions for both the envoy and trailblazer.

JD
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Just changed all 6 of mine this morning, piece of cake! Nice instructions, worked to a T!

illinijeff
05-16-2009, 09:12 AM
The link in step 1 has dash removal instructions for both the envoy and trailblazer.

That step says 02-04 envoy. I'm guessing they are the same? I haven't had a chance to look at it.

illinijeff
05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok I changed the Speedometer motor and It works then I changed the Fuel Motor and it's still telling me that the fuel level is low even though it's not. What could be the problem? Do you think it's some kind of sending unit in the fuel tank? Thanks!

the roadie
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Do you think it's some kind of sending unit in the fuel tank? Thanks!That's about the only other rational choice. If you had a scan tool or a scangauge, you could see the fuel level in the data stream from the PCM. Comparing that to the readout on the gauge is the only sure way to blame the stepper motor instead of the sender unit. Run a search - you have to drop the gas tank to change the sender.

OmarR
05-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Hi guys!

I am actually a Tahoe owner chiming in here.

I also did a write-up on replacing a stepper motor here:

Stepper Motor (http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=19909)

In the GMT800 community, it's usually adding a stepper motor and a tranny temp gauge, but replacing failing stepper motors are also common.

My final steps on setting the gauges were a little different.

I just thought it would help, in case there are some users that cannot get that last step of setting the needle correctly.

I am not at all indicating that my way is *THE* way, but it did work for me!

Good Luck!

Omar.

alisonsenvoy
06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Great write-up. I took all the suggestions under advisement and had the job complete in about an hour. It sure is nice to actually know how fast you are going!!!

its_sak
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Good write up Omar, very detailed. But i think the way Chavez wrote it is right on the money. Plus, with making note (with tape) of where the needles come to rest probably saves you all the time you spent trying to recalibrate your gauges and having to start and restart your truck. Maybe you can post up in the tahoe forum and ask them to try it your way, but also make note with tape of needles and see if anyone has the same problems you did.

MAY03LT
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
i still had to do some needle tweaking even though i marked them:m2:

its_sak
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
i see, well if your way works, dont fix it!

Raydar
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Finally replaced all of my steppers this weekend.
The most difficult part of the whole job was getting the #$#%^% bezel off of the front of the dash.
I used the tape to mark the pointers, and only had to "recalibrate" one of them. (The oil pressure gauge, which was one of the ones screwing up, anyway.)

A quick tip...
It's easy to mis-solder the pins where they come through the board.
Take a little bit of BrakeKleen (the non-flammable version) and a small coarse bristle brush, and clean the solder rosin off of the board, after you solder. It will be much easier to tell if your connections are good.
Don't wierd out about the BrakeKleen. Although it seems barbaric, it's chemically very similar to solvent that I used to use to clean circuit boards when I was repairing pagers (aka beepers.) Just make sure to use it where there is plenty of ventilation. The fumes are pretty nasty.

tjwisely
07-05-2009, 01:10 PM
The help availableonthis site is amazing.......

I just replaced 2 stepper motors(speedo and tach) in less than an hour. i would have never been able to do that without the help of this site. Thanks all.

theloko61
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Just got the motors yesterday, will install in the next couple of days, will post on the result.

theloko61
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
First of all thank you Chavez for this wonderful step by step write up, Just repace 4 stepper on my cluster, the gas and engine temp ones had to do then twice, but at the end everything since to work fine so far, "knock on wood". By the way it took me longer to get the cluster out, then to change the stepper.
Again thank you guys, this site rocks.

:thx

ChevyTb2003
07-16-2009, 06:03 PM
excellent description just did the speedometer today works excellent, thankyou for your help!

ChevyTb2003
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
ALSO ive seen people ask about them but i havent read 1 response. What size is the Bulbs on the inside of the cluster 1 of mine has gone out but i might as well replace all of them. with led or something. I cant find the bulb size anywhere i just know you have to solder them

patrickpl2
07-18-2009, 09:58 AM
good morning, I have been trying to find someone who sales these stepper motors. there are none available on E-Bay.

ChevyTb2003
07-18-2009, 12:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-2003-2004-2005-X25168-SILVERADO-GAUGE-STEPPER-MOTORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trks idZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5188af3bddQQitemZ350 185536477QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories#ht_1737wt_1191

there all the same size for this thread on ebay

Coorslight67
07-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi,

Very good "How To" on replacing stepper motor, I am having the same problem with mine, I first noticed it acting up when my speedometer would be off when it was cold outside and when it got warmer it would be ok, and to get it to go back to zero, I would have to turn on the ignition off and on a few times to get it to go back to zero. and now finally, it just quit, it will jump up and down once in awhile and try to work, but for the most part, it's dead.
Where can I find stepper motors really cheap?:)

Coorslight67
07-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi,
I had a quick question, when you are calibrating your needles in the beginning, when you said to put the tape and turn the gauge needles counter-clock wise, do you set them at the zero mark or do you set them where they are when they are at rest and then mark them? Thanks.

CHAVEZ
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi,
I had a quick question, when you are calibrating your needles in the beginning, when you said to put the tape and turn the gauge needles counter-clock wise, do you set them at the zero mark or do you set them where they are when they are at rest and then mark them? Thanks.

No, turn them counter clockwise until they stop...most likely a few ticks past zero. Don't worry!! This is how it is supposed to go...when you place them back on and plug it in they magically return to their proper positions.

Dave

billdaman
08-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Finally replaced all of mine today. Everything works perfect. Very tedious job but ony took a couple of hours. Thanks again for the write up

BTW I got my motors from David Ruberg digitalguy_1@charter.net $35 on ebay last year

04_t_b
08-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Is there a difference between the stepper motor part numbers: X-C5-168 and X-25-168?

Gmoney_2010
08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
I bought a 2004 Envoy SLT with 73000 miles last night, from an individual, got home parked it in the garage and noticed the speedometer was at 93 then we backed it out and it fell all the way clockwise. We also noticed the battery guage way all the way clockwise on the way home from buying it. Neither were like that when we test drove it last week. And we found out last night that disconnecting the battery will reset both of them and then they will work for a while and go back. We know several people that are work at dealers or mechanics and they said its probably the cluster and would be like 400-600.. Luckly I found this thread before we did that. Im ordering 6 from digital_dash_solutions right now.. Thanks Guys! Ill let you know how it goes. And other than that I love the envoy. We put 4 big o big foot a/t tires on it today and a new battery. Hopefully it will last another 5 years to get me through college.

evebug56
08-06-2009, 12:27 AM
1 million thanks to you.............with the step by step instructions and pics my daughter and I changed out the stepper motors in her 05 trailblazer........tach did not work at all, speedometer worked randomly and the fuel gauge was malfunctioning also.....replaced them all and now all is GREAT......thank you soooooo much!!!!!!!! you are awesome and saved us big bucks!!!! :)
Eve

kscarsdale
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
just a question about the stepper motors you gave 2 part numbers are the stepper motors all the same on all of the gauges or do the tach and speedometer have a different motor than the fuel, bat, temp, and oil?

kscarsdale
08-17-2009, 10:12 PM
oh and one more question..... where is the best place to buy these motors?

04_t_b
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I think either part number will work. When I replaced mine, the old stepper motors were X-C5-168 and I replaced them with X-25-168.

I think ebay is the place to find the motors. I got 6 for ~$30.

kscarsdale
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
thanks for the info.

kprog00
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Awesome, It was easy to follow the steps and saved me serious $$$$$$$$$. Thanks so much!

ajenkinsonsc
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
1 million thanks to you.............with the step by step instructions and pics my daughter and I changed out the stepper motors in her 05 trailblazer........tach did not work at all, speedometer worked randomly and the fuel gauge was malfunctioning also.....replaced them all and now all is GREAT......thank you soooooo much!!!!!!!! you are awesome and saved us big bucks!!!! :)
Eve

I think that might be what is wrong with mine. It works it doesnt, now it is stuck on 120mph! I am new to this fourm, how do I find the instructions on changing this out?
Alison

Nevermind I found it!

MAY03LT
09-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I am new to this fourm, how do I find the instructions on changing this out?

the first post ITT will get you to the point where the instructions that come with the motor(s) take over

ShawnAndrewMAC
09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, will the X25168 stepper motor work for my 07? The ebay site I'm looking at only shows it will work up to 2006.

ShawnAndrewMAC
09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Anybody? GM was no help, told me they would have to replace the whole cluster.

MAY03LT
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I would contact the vendor:yes:

awer25
09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
How long do these motors usually last for and how do we know if we may need them? I have 60k on a Rainier and noticed that the needles to descend in very slight "steps" (i.e. it doesn't go down completely smooth, but pretty darn close).

I just bought the car, so I don't know what "normal" is. Do the needles regularly show an ever-so-slight skip in parts of their descent or could that be the stepper motor going out?

ShawnAndrewMAC
09-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybe I should start another thread on this so more people will look at it, I can't find the part number for the stepper motor on 2007 and up. Maybe I will have to buy the whole cluster, or just keep living off the odometer for how much gas is in the tank.:bonk:

the roadie
09-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Or maybe just contact the vendor. :confused:
Or another gauge repair outfit by email and ask if the 20007+ clusters are significantly different. http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

ShawnAndrewMAC
09-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Or maybe just contact the vendor. :confused:
Or another gauge repair outfit by email and ask if the 20007+ clusters are significantly different. http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my last post that I contacted the vendor, he has never carried them but he is trying to get them. He didn't have the part number so unfortunately I have no idea what to search for.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the second link, I will contact them tomorrow and will post up the part number, if I can get it. I'm surprised that this hasn't been looked into before, I suppose it's because I passed my warranty many clicks ago due to all the driving I do.

ShawnAndrewMAC
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Well I contacted instrumentclusters.com and unfortunately they haven't repaired any 2007 Trailblazers so they are unsure of the part number. I'm beginning to lose hope, I will try a few more gauge shops and will add to this thread as I find more info.

ShawnAndrewMAC
09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Alright, I ordered the X25.168 motor. I will install it to see if it works, I will post back once it's done.

ShawnAndrewMAC
10-08-2009, 01:55 AM
I installed the stepper motor tonight, had a hard time removing the old solder since it was my first time using a solder wick. I didn't get all the solder off, so as I was placing the new stepper motor in, it caught on the solder, pulled up one of the traces on the board and the trace broke :x. Thankfully I have repaired a trace before, only once, but it wasn't long ago. I used a defogger repair kit to connect the trace and the connection worked according to my multimeter. The thing about the conductive liquid from the kit is that it gets a stronger connection once it has completely dried, so I haven't started the truck up to see if it works, although I did get some movement from plugging it in. :D

I will know in the morning if it works.

MAY03LT
10-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I didn't remove the solder....I just got it warm enough to release the fingers.

Also, waiting for updates:D

ShawnAndrewMAC
10-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Alright, I woke up a bit late and didn't get to the vehicle before the wife. When she gets home at 7:30 I will fill the truck up and let you guys know.

And Andrew, how did you heat up all 4 and keep them hot enough to remove, they cool down pretty quick?

ShawnAndrewMAC
10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
The gauge moves, but it won't go back down after I shut the vehicle off, also, the light stays on. I'm going to take it out again to inspect it, hopefully it's just a poor connection. I'm about to give up on this, probably going to have to wait on a junk yard to get a tb in so I can change up the whole cluster. :cry:

MAY03LT
10-09-2009, 02:35 PM
And Andrew, how did you heat up all 4 and keep them hot enough to remove, they cool down pretty quick?

Skeels. Also used a soldering gun (as opposed to an iron) for faster heat up and hitting 2 fingers at the same time

The gauge moves, but it won't go back down after I shut the vehicle off, also, the light stays on. I'm going to take it out again to inspect it, hopefully it's just a poor connection. I'm about to give up on this, probably going to have to wait on a junk yard to get a tb in so I can change up the whole cluster. :cry:

Did you reset the needle per the instructions? And are we talking about the fuel gauge?

ShawnAndrewMAC
10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes I reset them following the guided instructions, all gauges work perfectly except for the fuel gauge. It now shows that I have a full tank, when I turn the truck off the needle doesn't move back down. It must have to do with the trace that I tried to fix, I wish I new how this thing worked so I could trouble shoot, I just don't know what I messed up. Been having bad luck all year, pretty sure I'm just going to have to buy a new cluster.

williet25
10-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a 2003 Trailblazer and my speedometer went out just like everyone else on here. My concern is that mine has the driver information screen and I've read that this has to be recalibrated when the stepper motors are replaced. I went to the ebayer that has been recommended on this site and that is what his listing says. Is this true? Has anyone else on here done this on a Trailblazer with the driver info screen like mine? If there are no problems with this, looks like I will be buying the stepper motor and doing it myself.

Great pics and great explanation! This site has already saved me so much money! I appreciate this.

theloko61
10-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Last winter the fuel, engine and oil temp and the battery motors went out on my 03 EXT LT. I replaced the stepper motors and they worked with no problem until it got really cold here in NJ, then my oil temp went crazy, I replaced the stepper but it's pointing down again.

williet25
10-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Got my stepper motor in the mail from ebayer ate1234 for $7.90 with shipping. He even mentioned this thread link in his ebay listing!! I followed the directions as previously mentioned in this thread and it took about 1.5 hours for me. My speedometer is working again and I didn't have to pay the dealer $400 to fix!
I had some problems with the soldering though because it's not something that I have done alot of. On the back of my circuit board, the points were bent in toward the center and it made it sort of difficult to remove the existing stepper motor. I did not have a solder sucker but just heated the solder up enough to loosen the points and straightened them out with some needle nose pliers. The other problem I had was with the calibration. The needle was pointing straight down before I replaced it so I just made a mark at zero on the speedometer. So when I replaced the stepper and moved the needle to zero and cranked my truck, the needle moved up to around 4-5 mph and stayed there. I kept messing with it and there was some play in the stepper from 0 - 5 mph on the speedometer. I ended up moving it just below 0 so when I crank my truck now, it moves up to zero.
Some good advice is to test your speed with a GPS to make sure it is calibrated correctly. I got out of my subdivision and set my cruise and it's working perfectly now.
This site just saved me a ton of money! Awesome job Chavez!!!!:thx

dieselmax
11-11-2009, 05:09 PM
just did alll 6 motors works great thanks for the great forum:)

Pittfan
11-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Found this website after my speedometer tried to tell me that I was going 120mph. If I was, then everyone else around me was doing the same. That was a fun commute to work!

Alas, I figured it wouldn't be too smart of me when a cop pulls me over for speeding, and asks the infamous question, "Do you know how fast you were driving?", and I in turn respond with "Um, yeah. 120! You should get your radar gun checked out."

Anyways, thanks for the great help. I didn't want to have to buy a new IC just to fix the speedo, and I am against taking it in to the dealership. I just ordered the set of 6 motors ($29), and I'll post my results some time next week as to how it goes.

The one thing that I did notice (that I didn't see a lot of posts about) was that if I turn my engine off, and then back on again, and keep repeating the process, I can get my speedometer back down to zero. But, it will just bounce back up to at least 60mph after I start driving again. Normally the needle is pegged.

Thanks!
Jason

Pittfan
11-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey all. Just wanted to let you know that I was able to fix my speedometer problem. It got worse and worse. The latest, the speedometer needle was consistently at 120mph. Today, I receieved the package of 6 step motors from E-bay. I bought them from E-Bay on Friday and they got here today (Monday)! So, after dinner, I had a little time for "projects". Took the IC out, and replaced all 6 motors. Tossed the IC back in, and all of the needles seem to be in proper working order.

I will say that I only drove around a little bit, barely reaching 10 mph. So, I am going to need to take it on a bit longer drive and see how the speedometer compares to my gps. That will be a good enough of a calibration test for me.

Thanks for the help! $29 compared to $700. I think I'll do it myself!

ChevyTb2003
11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
What is the model number for the dash lights? If i went to go replace them?. Like the Interior is 194. what would the dash lights be? Since most of mine are going out Id like to replace them with super white LED anyone have a clue?

gmac310
11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
What is the model number for the dash lights? If i went to go replace them?. Like the Interior is 194. what would the dash lights be? Since most of mine are going out Id like to replace them with super white LED anyone have a clue?

There is no model number for the dash bulbs as far as I know.

snapper2005
11-27-2009, 02:29 AM
ifirst of hi im new here first post, ive been reading alot here and it all sounds way awsome, just bought 2005 trailblazer lt ext loaded, and love it to death great truck but got a few qstions about whats going on, im pretty sure my lil motors are going out im ok with that sounds easy enough and cheap enough but a qestion did arise, if i have the digital driver info thing in the cluster, do i have to reset it or have it reprogrammed after i replace the motors? and douse anyone now what kindof led bulbs i could solder into the gauge board as well? any info wold be great, again thanks for all the help

--mikey

flimirpro
12-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Stepper Motor Install Link

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48886

Updated instrument cluster stepper motor part # is X25 168
DEFECTIVE OEM stepper motor is # X C5 168

Materials:
1. One or more stepper motors.
2. Fine rosin core solder

Tools:
1. Desoldering tool. There are several types. Some are “suckers” that you use with a soldering iron to pull the solder out of the joint. The one I used is from Radio Shack for about $11. It is a 45 watt soldering iron with a hole in the tip and a rubber sucker bulb.
2. Soldering iron. About 25 watts is good for this job.
3. 7 mm nut driver or equivalent.
4. A small flat blade screwdriver.
5. A kitchen fork. (yes, details later).

Procedure:
1. Set the parking brake. If it doesn’t work, block a wheel.
2. Turn the key on and pull the shift down to “1”. Chime goes “ding ding …”
3. Pull the tilt wheel all the way down.
4. Pull off the dash bezel. It uses spring retainers so pull it straight back.
5. Take out the 4 screws (7 mm head) that hold the cluster in.
6. Work the cluster back. Release the electrical connector at the top back of the cluster by releasing the retainer. Unplug the connector.
7. Remove the cluster. It’s a bit of a squeeze between the top of the dash and the shroud thing on the steering, but it will come out without breaking anything. Honest.
8. Take the cluster to your clean, well lit work space. Plug in the desoldering tool and soldering iron to heat up.
9. Take the back off the (black) cluster by using your small screw driver releasing the lock tabs that hold it to the (white) frame part. You are now looking at the back of the cluster PC board.
10. Take off the front lens/bezel assembly. It has lock tabs at the top and bottom to hold it to the white part. The top ones are easy with a small screw driver. The bottom ones are a bit of a bitch. Mild cursing helps.
11. The PC board is now being held in by the gauge needles. You have to remove all the needles even if you are only working one stepper motor. The guy who sold me the stepper motor provided directions to get the needles back on pointed to the right reading but I got it wrong. More later.
12. Twist each needle a little counter clockwise to break the bond between the needle and the stepper motor. Use the kitchen fork to lift off the needle. No need for a 10 ton porta-power.
13. The circuit board will now come out. Be REALLY SURE you pull the stepper motor you want to replace. Maybe mark it with a Sharpie.
14. There are 4 pins that come out of the back of the stepper motor and are soldered into the PC board. Take your now hot desoldering tool, squeeze the bulb while NOT pointed at the PC board. (We want suck, not blow.) Melt the solder and suck it up. Repeat for each of the 4 pins.
15. The motor should now be easy to pull off.
16. Put the new motor in its place. There are locator pins. Make sure it is flush against the PC board.
17. Take your soldering iron. Make sure the tip is clean and tinned. Solder each pin to the PC board. Heat the board pad and the wire; then let those parts melt the solder. Don’t try to melt the solder on the iron then try to dab it in. That doesn’t work.
18. Examine your solder joints carefully. They should be smooth and shiny, flowed onto the pad and the wire.
19. Unplug your soldering iron and desoldering tool. If you are lucky they will cool off before you accidentally grab the wrong end of one.
20. Place the PC board back in the middle (white plastic) frame. Put the back cover on, press the retainers down until they lock.
21. Replace the instrument needles. The guy that sold me the stepper motor recommended pushing the needle on pointing at mid scale, then twisting to the bottom of the scale. Try it, but this didn’t work out for me; maybe I didn’t understand correctly. Hence:
22. DO NOT PUT THE FRONT LENS PART ON YET. More later.
23. Put the cluster (less the front lens) back in the truck, with the cable plugged in. Don’t put in the screws yet.
24. Start the truck. Oh, shyte, no start. Oh, I’m in first gear. Neutral safety switch. Put it in park and really start it this time. Watch the gauges come to life. In my case some were reading really whack.
25. Shut off the truck. For each gauge that is not reading bottom of scale, pull the needle off and put it back in pointing at bottom of scale. Repeat this step a few times until you have it all right.
26. NOW put the front lens back on your cluster. You can do this with the back part of the cluster in the dash. Push until the locks click.
27. Put back the 4 retaining screws and the dash bezel.

04TBlazer
12-20-2009, 11:14 AM
I used too big a soldering gun and ruined the bottom right circuit on the speedo. This job is for those with some circuit soldering experience :sad:

the roadie
12-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah - don't use THIS sort of tool:

dshields
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
The job was relatively easy except for hitting one of the light sockets for the speedometer lights and breaking a wire. It took longer to find a place in town to repair the socket then the whole rest of the job took. I had to take it back out when I found out the bulb would not work and then the needles were a little off. I took it apart again and then fastened it in the truck for a test drive to be sure the needles were correct.

mike_mik
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
My wife's '04 Trailblazer had this same problem off and on. Speedo said I was doing 100 up the driveway last night. Bought stepper motors on e-bay for $10 each a couple months ago. Finally got up the courage and took it on today. Both guages seem to work fine now. Make sure to do a neat solder job. Had to do a "take 2" as I didn't do a good job on one of the 4 pins on the tach motor - not enough solder in the contact point resulted in the dial only turning one direction and not returning to 0. This step-by-step with photos was a HUGE help.

Thanks to everyone here.

pricelessone
01-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Where did you find the stepper motors on ebay? I must be looking in wrong spot! Thanks!

Chevy-TB-lover
01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-02-03-04-05-ENVOY-TRAILBLAZER-CLUSTER-STEPPER-MOTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4838d6752fQQitemZ 310191224111QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories#ht_1794wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-02-03-04-05-ENVOY-TRAILBLAZER-CLUSTER-STEPPER-MOTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4838d6752fQQitemZ 310191224111QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories#ht_1794wt_1165

808Envoy03
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Great thread and how to! Haven't done soldering work since senior year in high school electronics class (93' - dang I feel old)..but all I have to say is that TRAILVOY.com just saved me $$$$$$$$ on changing my cluster! Like everyone else who tried this fix, all under $10 (just borrow a soldering iron from a friend). :thx Also, the guy who sells them on ebay ships the motor out right away and got it in 3 days. He also includes instructions on how to install the motor (instruction are like the first post on this thread). Good luck to all who will try this...pretty easy. If not, I suggest get a cluster from the junk yard for about $75. Happy new year!

bearhunter
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I just started having this problem with my speedometer. I found a replacement cluster the same year as mine. 2005 Will this work plug and play or will it have to be programed for my trailblazer?

Bearcat
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
My speedo went out on me over a year ago and I sent the cluster to US Speedo for repair. They are in Michigan, so from Northern Ohio it was a very quick turnaround even with standard ground shipping. Now my fuel and oil pressure gages are pegging in the cold, andi think I'll do the stepper motor replacement on my ow. Great info from a lot of you guys to do the repair. I probably need to re-up my platinum membership, this forum pays for itself! :thumbsup:

bearhunter
01-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Replaced my gage cluster today with a used one I got off eBay. It pluged right in and is working great. I will replace the stepper motors in my old one so i will have a spare just in case. The instructions here will really help with that. Thanks!

bearhunter
01-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Okay, I replaced the stepper motors in my old gage cluster. Tried using a solder sucker and solder wick. Had no luck with them. So I just tried pulling the stepper motor as I heated the solder joints with my solder gun and that worked better. When inserting the new stepper motor, if it would not seat all the way because of the solder left on the board, I just touched the post with my solder gun and pushed on the stepper motor until it was seated all the way down. Then soldered the posts. Put everything back together and adjusted the needles as in this thread. Since I will just be saving this gage cluster as a spare, I haven't tested it yet. Hope I never need it!

Uccracing
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Im sick of my gauges being messed up, going to to go order these tonight and get this done and over with before I get a ticket! Going to replace all 6... But want to do blue LED's or something for the lights, would like something different.... Anyone know where to get them yet?:grouphug:

becranfill
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I would like to thank you for your great instructions on replacing the stepper motor. I followed your directions exactly, it worked and I saved about $500!

Uccracing
01-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Well I am sick of the T-blazer at this point, nothing ever is easy... So I got the stepper motors today, sat here tore it down and took my time.. Being the perfectionist that I am and it didn't work for ****... So now the gas gauge that was fine (the only one that wasn't jacked) is now horrible.. Instead of rolling back when you turn it off it goes the other freaking way.... the Speedometer when I plugged it in, spun all the way around and points down, so moved it back and it just sits now, nothing.... UGGHGHGH Im done for the nigh... Any suggestions people?:thx

mdc1
01-15-2010, 02:23 PM
anybody have a link to buy the light bulbs or whatever they are for the cluster. My is a 2004 TB LT. Will I am in here I want to replace the motors, the lights, and also add an aftermarket radio, since my factory CD is screwed.

Uccracing
01-15-2010, 05:16 PM
anybody have a link to buy the light bulbs or whatever they are for the cluster. My is a 2004 TB LT. Will I am in here I want to replace the motors, the lights, and also add an aftermarket radio, since my factory CD is screwed.

I have asked a few places on the lights, they are a tiny almost LED size bulb... So everyone is saying you should just put in LED Replacements...

Uccracing
01-15-2010, 05:18 PM
So I talked to a repair place that I got my Stepper Motor's from, and they said I probably damaged the board when doing it, which I don't know how, I was VERY careful and did what was instructed... So I am going to check em out another night, and worst case I will pull the cluster and mail it to them.. 100 bucks to repair and rebuild the entire cluster. :duh::suicide:

JThompson
01-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Where can I order a stepper motor? The only thing I can find is a set of six. Also, do I need to disconnect the battery to start the process?

DJones
01-15-2010, 11:11 PM
I haven't had any problems with my motors yet, but when I do, I will put my knowledge of digital electronics education and knowledge to good use. I will build the circuitry required to use seven-segment displays and bar graphs where appropriate. This definitely would take lots of time and maybe more money and would be difficult, but I know it would be well worth it because I love digital instrument clusters and yet they are so hard to find.:eek:

markmc
01-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Very Nice write up!
I will be doing this asap, cus our speedo took a dump yesturday.
Maybe i missed it, but can the speedo needle be moved to compensate
for oversize tires?

bearhunter
01-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Where can I order a stepper motor? The only thing I can find is a set of six. Also, do I need to disconnect the battery to start the process?

I would buy the set of 6 and replace them all. Not much more work than replacing just one. I disconnected the battery when I did mine.

e-iowa-o
01-27-2010, 05:43 AM
My speedo has been acting up, especially when its cold out. finally crapped out today. Starts out reading about 80mph and pegs past 120 when I'm on the road.

Good instructions here.. Thank you for the write up.

Pittfan
01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Yep, that is the steeper motor. Mine did the same exact thing. Now over a month later (after the repair) it has been acting perfectly!

Great instructions:thumbsup::thx

stuart
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
... So I am going to check em out another night, and worst case I will pull the cluster and mail it to them.. 100 bucks to repair and rebuild the entire cluster. :duh::suicide:

Good to know. Care to share info on them in case I run into problems?

reidrules18
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
This really is a life saver! I am going to order the stepper motors here off ebay and try the repair. Will it work just as fine on a Chevy 05 LT? I know that it has the computerized cluster and just want to double check. I can't imagine it would be any different.

Thanks,
-Reid

bearhunter
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
This really is a life saver! I am going to order the stepper motors here off ebay and try the repair. Will it work just as fine on a Chevy 05 LT? I know that it has the computerized cluster and just want to double check. I can't imagine it would be any different.

Thanks,
-Reid

Sure it will work in your 05 LT. Just follow the instructions on here and you will be fine. Worked on my 05 Trailblazer.

jnt412
02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks poster for the DIY.. I will be replacing my motors when it gets warm. Some of the lighting is dim in my cluster as well. Will replacing the motors resolve this issue as well?...

bearhunter
02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=jnt412;899812]Thanks poster for the DIY.. I will be replacing my motors when it gets warm. Some of the lighting is dim in my cluster as well. Will replacing the motors resolve this issue as well?...[/QUOTE

The stepper motors have nothing to do with the lights. You will have to solder in new bulbs in order to fix any that are burnt out.

jnt412
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=jnt412;899812]Thanks poster for the DIY.. I will be replacing my motors when it gets warm. Some of the lighting is dim in my cluster as well. Will replacing the motors resolve this issue as well?...[/QUOTE

The stepper motors have nothing to do with the lights. You will have to solder in new bulbs in order to fix any that are burnt out.

bearhunter,

Can these bulbs be purchased at any autoparts store?.. I didn't see them in the DIY pics.. Also.. Does this instrument cluster retain its mileage readings when you unplug it?. When you buy a new cluster it needs to be re-programmed...

Thanks jnt412

SilverUnicorn
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=bearhunter;899861]

bearhunter,

Can these bulbs be purchased at any autoparts store?.. I didn't see them in the DIY pics.. Also.. Does this instrument cluster retain its mileage readings when you unplug it?. When you buy a new cluster it needs to be re-programmed...

Thanks jnt412

The information for your cluster will be retained. The need to reprogram a replacement is to get the correct mileage into it for your vehicle.

Chris

bearhunter
02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
As SilverUnicorn said, it does retain the mileage. If you were to obtain a replacement cluster it would have to be programed in. The bulbs can be found on ebay. Search for digital_dash_solutions on eBay. That is where I got my stepper motors and I believe he also has the bulbs. He will also repair your cluster if you are not good at soldering.

Halon
02-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to the creator of this thread. I just bought this truck and the speedo was acting up, sometimes not even moving. Found this thread, ordered up a set of 6 steppers off ebay. I actually do a lot of soldering at my job so that part went smooth. Installed it and all appears to be working well. So just a big thanks!!

reidrules18
02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I must say this write up was a LIFE SAVER! Thank you very much. My speedometer was frozen at 35 mph and I throug this thread I ordered the stepper motor off ebay and ended up being able to easily replace everything saving over 500 bucks that the dealer wanted. Thanks again this website really has allowed me to work on my TB making it last for years to come. Thanks again for an excellent write up! Now I just need to figure out where that last screw went that I missed when I installed my dash...

Lvtrucks2000
02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I have had my Envoy for 2 years now and just hit 80K. Had to install the new stepper motors, and your write up was perfect! So i just had to sign up on this site, may need more help in the future!:thx

lavell1983
02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I never soldered anything before this and followed this step by step, to make a long story short it works like a charm. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Zero34543
02-12-2010, 09:37 PM
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thx

vangasman
02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Replaced all six stepper motors and it was easier than I thought. Get the desoldering tool from Radio shack, well worth the 10.99. Thanks for the help.
Vangasman::woot:

redandblue
02-17-2010, 09:43 AM
My speedometer works fine most of the time however when you get somewhere around 50 and above it starts reading a lot slower than you are actually going and if you come to a stop it stops working completely, could this be a bad stepper motor?

keitho64
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds like what mine was doing. It would not work, jump to 100, stay stuck on 30 and sometimes work fine. Once I replaced the stepper it was perfect. I had the same issue with the oil pressure gauge as well.

sdsualum
02-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I was nervous about the soldering, but I practiced on an old modem, and it turned out great.

Calibrating and taking the cluster out was the most difficult part, and it wasn't even that bad. A lot easier than changing the thermostat in the trailblazer.

Thank you for the write up. Would have been hard without the pictures and the directions.

stopher2
02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
2003 TB Ext
just did mine according to the directions.

the hard part was figuring out how to disassemble the dash.
start across the bottom with 4 hex screws.
1 phillips screws next to lighter sockets
pull lower black plastic down (near driver knees) , don't need to remove
2 hex on lower behind black plastic,
6 phillips screws the insides including 4 for the gauge box

while removing, you'll need to pinch the plastic electric connectors so they release and you can remove the harnesses.

The rest we easy. my 13 year old did the soldering with me. Used a solder sucker and iron from Radio Shack.

Make sure you do a GOOD job cleaning the faceplate or you'll have to look at lint in the dash for the life of the car.

CALIBRATION
I warmed up the car and drove around the block. Disassembled gauge box and forked out the arms and recalibrated the gas and speed gauges. Did another connection, heard the motors whiz and saw my gas gauge was too low. I did the gas gauge 1 more time again.

Reassembly took 10% the time that disassembly did.

I used a magnetic tray to hold my screws so i woudn't lose them.

Arsenic_Child
02-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey,
I had this same problem, so i did a little research on it, to avail, no recall was posted on the Trailblazer But the Tahoe and Suburban have the same issue. So i called the GM Customer Support 1-866-790-5700 when i spoke to them, i did have to argue with them a bit, but i did work, its their faulty wiring, and they recalled other vehicles with the same problem but not the one, and clearly its known. They then set me up with an Appointment at the local dealer (AT NO CHARGE, had to fight them on that too they wanted $90 diagnostic fee, when i already knew the problem). And its fixed!!!

Lunker1
02-25-2010, 12:10 PM
My son has an '04 TrailBlazer with under 50K that had the speedometer die. I saw your article and decided to try replacing the stepper motor. I purchased two (one spare) through Ebay for around $15 shipped to the house. The entire job took about 1.5 hours and went well. Your directions were fantastic and gave me the confidence to try this. Thanks! :thx

Jennifer84
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
You are so awesome for posting this...it will help me out TREMENDOUSLY. Thank you so much! :thx

jsinga
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
The speedo is wacked on our 03 ext.
My question, what holds the needles on? It looks like they thread on. The fork gets them over a lip?
You have to take all the needles off to get it apart right? If that's the case might as well replace all the motors.
I was looking for the tips on the envoy dash, THANKS!
All the tips are great I'm ordering the motors today.

mike_mik
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
No. The needles are just push on. They are a tight fit-it takes a little more force than you might think. My vehicle is a Trailblazer, but it's probably identical.

You do have to take all of them off to get the faceplate off the board.
It does make sense to replace all of the motors if you bought enough of them. Once you figure out what you're doing and get the first one done, the rest go pretty easy.

Just be sure to make a good solder joint on each of the pins. I had one sloppy one and the motor would only turn clockwise - it wouldn't return to zero. Test your work before you put the whole panel back in place by plugging the re-assembled instrument cluster in and starting the vehicle. Some take it for a drive. You'll be able to see if the speedo and the tach are aligned correctly.

Good luck.

smith2009
03-01-2010, 09:34 AM
My speedo was acting up on my 03 envoy and I went ahead and replaced al 6 motors. Easy to do. Just wish I had noted that you don't have to pull the whole dash on the envoy. Spent two hours messing with that before figuring out that you can get the cluster out just by pulling the trim piece around the cluster. Finally figured that out myself. Might be nice if the original instruction by Chavez could be updated iwth that tidbit.

But great instructions and saving lots of people lots of money. Thansk Chavez..

blumsoccer
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi I have an 04 Trailblazer Lt that is having this problem with the speedometer working sometimes but most of the time it does not work. I have talked to a good friend of mine who runs a used car lot. He had the same problem on a silverado but chose to get a new cluster as he told me the clips take a special tool and that if you bust the clips the cluster will not stay together then and therfore not work and I would end up having to purchase a new one. Is this true? and how easy is it to take the cluster apart? According to this post it looks very easy to disassemble the cluster and unsolder the motor and solder it back on.

bearhunter
03-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi I have an 04 Trailblazer Lt that is having this problem with the speedometer working sometimes but most of the time it does not work. I have talked to a good friend of mine who runs a used car lot. He had the same problem on a silverado but chose to get a new cluster as he told me the clips take a special tool and that if you bust the clips the cluster will not stay together then and therfore not work and I would end up having to purchase a new one. Is this true? and how easy is it to take the cluster apart? According to this post it looks very easy to disassemble the cluster and unsolder the motor and solder it back on.

No special tool needed. Just follow the directions in this thread. If you go to a dealer to get this fixed it will cost you about $ 700. If you are worried about the soldering, there are several places you can send the cluster to get it fixed for under $100. I replaced all the stepper motors in mine for about $28. Lot cheaper tham $700. If I can do it, I am sure you can also.

zildgen_2
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I just wanted to report that this solution worked like a charm for the speedometer in an 04 TB. My wife is so happy to not have to use the GPS to estimate her speed.

e-iowa-o
03-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Got the mmotors off ebay. hope there isn't anything too tricky about getting the cluster out of my Envoy...

rywegh
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
just be careful when you remove them. I just got my cluster back from digital1 guy from ebay. he had to repair my inept repair skills, I damaged the traces on the board and some of the leds needed replacing. So I sent it to him to repair and recalibrate the gauges. It is back in and works great.

e-iowa-o
04-03-2010, 08:35 PM
well. followed the directions here and everything seemed to go smoothly until I plugged the cluster back in. The calibration seems off or the needles aren't dropping back all the way. well I guess I can't upload an .mpg that would really ilustrate the problem better but heres a couple pics.

Upon start, up all the needles move but when you shut off the ignition the needles on all the gauges stop somewhat high. They don't retract to the place that I had marked on tape as original set points. I can lightly touch the needles and drop them back to the correct starting points.:duh:

any suggestions?

the roadie
04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
No big problem, but you have to move the needles on their shafts. Not just by turning them to read zero, but BEYOND zero to when the shaft stops turning easily. Then push a bit harder and move the needles on the stopped shafts. Then remove the connector to force a recalibration, reconnect the connector, power it up and see if they recalibrate properly. This can take a few iterations to get yourself satisfied, depending on your pickiness level.

e-iowa-o
04-09-2010, 02:00 AM
I took front plastic cover back off, plugged it in and set it back in place. then just fiddled with the needles while turning the key on and off, until I got 'em where I wanted. All set now.

These instructions were very helpful and once again... another trailvoyer saved me a trip to the dealer and a whole bunch of green.:D

I haven't done much soldering at all. Just a few wire connections in the past. This project was definitely doable for me with my minimal skills and experience. I didn't get a solder sucker. I used "solder removal braid". worked real well for me. you just place the braid against the solder and touch the iron to it and when the solder melts it pulls back into the braid. worked real slick for me.:m2:

Thanks again CHAVEZ for your good work:thumbsup:

ChicagoDre
04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks alot for this, ill be trying this in the next week when i don't have so much school work -_- Woo first post!:woohoo:

iowamoe300
04-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Great thread. Wonderful pictures! Got the job done in a little less than 2 hours (slow and steady wins the race). As another poster recommended, I used this radio shack desolder tool http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

I dealt with this guy on the stepper motors http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731 He is quick to answer questions and ship (he also had the instrument cluster bulbs to replace my burnt out ones).

I only had my tach motor going wonky, but once I saw how easy it was to change the motor, I went ahead and did them all while I had it out and opened up. I consider myself to have moderately good soldering skills, and not so steady hands. Anyone considering doing this, just take your time! De-solder using the radio shack tool and all will be well.

03Burban
04-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Found this thread through a long convoluted internet search but I must say thank you for the assist. My 2003 Suburban 2500 started acting up. First the voltmeter went, it just stuck at the 12 o'clock position. I didn't even realize it until I shut the ignition off and realized it hadn't moved. Then the speedo went followed by the fuel gauge. I figured someone out there (here) had to have found the fix. So I ordered my stepper motors from e-bay and today completed the repair in around an hour. The circuit is far better than the older film type so the traces are pretty sound. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to Chavez for putting the walk through guide together. Well done. I've had plenty of experience with GM electrical, but your walk through made it a breeze.:thx

ieatglue
04-24-2010, 02:55 AM
I ran into a problem with one of my stepper motors. I actually peeled off the copper wiring under the green part of the board :o Any suggestions??

03Burban
04-25-2010, 12:12 AM
I ran into a problem with one of my stepper motors. I actually peeled off the copper wiring under the green part of the board :o Any suggestions??
You peeled off the trace? How good are you with a solder iron? If you're not pretty proficient, I'd say find a new cluster or circuit board and replace your damaged one. If you wield a solder iron like the terminator does weapons then you might try a jumper to bridge the gap. I've done this on the old style films to repair them but that was in Saudi Arabia and parts were scarce. The circuit board on my 03 is substantially better than those old film types but some of the traces are far more intricate. If you've peeled one those tiny ones, you should probably find a new circuit board or just replace the whole cluster with a used but functioning unit :m2:......sean

bearhunter
04-25-2010, 04:43 AM

I would suggest sending it to someone who repairs speedometers such as http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-SALES-AND-SERVICE. Give him a call and see if he can fix it. I can recommend him, but there are other places that repair speedometer clusters. Just do a search. Or maybe you can find someone locally who can repair traces on an electronic board that can fix it for you. Good luck.

ChevyTb2003
05-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Ive done this prior to this posting, This is my third Steppor Motor to be replaced on the RPM Gauge. Not sure what's going on with it. But thank god the pack i ordered from ebay had 8 of them. Still a great thread goodluck everyone!

nasa_vin
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Easy to follow instructions. Saved me a bunch of money.

Ken in MD
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
My speedo went haywire as we were driving home from a weeklong, 1400 mile vacation. It had acted funny years before, and we did the slowly stepping down-thing of turning the car off and on until it returned to zero. On this trip, it started doing it again. We were able to "step it down" (car off and on) at a rest stop, but it went right back to haywire quickly. By the end of the 500 mile trip home, it was stuck on 110 (even with the car turned off).
I figured I had some excuse if I got pulled over...LOL.

So after being home and reading some info on this site I was (sort of) glad to see I wasnt alone. I called the dealer and sure enough, our 03 Envoy XL (89k) was "not covered" for the instrument cluster recall, and yes, it would be 19 billion dollars to replace (well, $400). So I was very happy to see this dicsussion/walk-through of stepper motor replacement. I immediately ordered a stepper motor on ebay for $3.33 + shipping.

Another option I saw for the more faint of heart (those without soldering expertise) is a guy on ebay who will rebuild your cluster with all new steppers for about 50 bucks. Nice alternative there, too!

However...

My speedo seems to have returned to normal!? So i guess I'll do nothing for now, but if the problem returnes, I will be favoriting this discussion.

Thanks all!

Ken in MD

Walt_Vegas
07-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Is the speedometer failing to spike at startup an issue?

I followed the procedure, and everything has been spot on until the end. All the needles spiked (jumped up) on start up as described in the procedure, EXCEPT for the speedometer. The two gauges I had issues with were the tach and the speedometer, but I replaced all of the stepper motors. I've driven the TB around and to me, the speedometer seems like it might be a little slow to react as well--it's hard to say because it's been so long since I last saw it operate correctly.

Thanks to the poster. People like you can never be thanked enough.

bdobby
07-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Repaired my speedometer motor today. Very good write up. Worked perfectly! :woot:

kaboom
07-21-2010, 12:48 PM
anyone do this on a 2002?
are the same stepper motors used as well?
ebay listings show 2003-2006 years, and was just curious.

kaboom
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
anyone do this on a 2002?
are the same stepper motors used as well?
ebay listings show 2003-2006 years, and was just curious.

thought i would just follow up on this.
ended up replacing all 6 of my stepper motors with the ones from ebay that shows 03-06 without any issues. calibration was cake, install wasn't a problem. GPS matches speedometer within 1MPH.

swapped out all the lights back there (12 total) with some white LEDs at the same time. all in all, took about 2hrs, wasn't that bad.

looks pretty cool, everything is working, i'll try to get pics up.

Routs
08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
This is an outstanding write up! Now I'll be able to save my dad about $500. Not the best solderer in the world, but willing to take my time to do it right. The only thing I don't fully get is the placement of the needles but I'll worry about that when my steppers come in from eBay.

Big thanks to the OP! :thumbsup:

bearhunter
08-04-2010, 03:41 AM
This is an outstanding write up! Now I'll be able to save my dad about $500. Not the best solderer in the world, but willing to take my time to do it right. The only thing I don't fully get is the placement of the needles but I'll worry about that when my steppers come in from eBay.

Big thanks to the OP! :thumbsup:

I think you will understand the placement of the needles more once you get the cluster apart. The needles are free moving until you reach the end of their movement. Just move the needles CCW until you feel resistance in their movement. At that point mark their location with tape and a pencil mark. Then remove the needles. They are held on to the stepper motor by friction. When you put them back on, locate them straight up. Then turn them CCW until you feel resistance. Then continue turning the needle CCW until it reaches your mark on the tape. If you go past your mark, just go around again CCW until it lines up with your mark. That is how I did mine and they were dead on when I checked them later with my brothers scan gage.

kaboom
08-10-2010, 12:39 AM
ended up replacing all 6 of my stepper motors with the ones from ebay that shows 03-06 without any issues. calibration was cake, install wasn't a problem. GPS matches speedometer within 1MPH.

swapped out all the lights back there (12 total) with some white LEDs at the same time. all in all, took about 2hrs, wasn't that bad.

alright... here's a pic of the lights after and one shot with the board pulled apart to replace the motors.

o7oc
08-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks , very nice work!

the roadie
08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks , very nice work!Did you have the stepper motor problem on all of them, or perhaps just one?

pplayer03
09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the write up! I was able to replace rpm and mph with no major problem. Only question is, why does my mph seem to lag when i am slowing down? Accelerating seem to be fine, rpm looks good too. Just kinda sticks when foot is off the gas slowing down.

myenvoy03
09-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Just replaced my stepper motor. Thanks for the post it worked like a charm! :thumbsup:

edalan99
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
excellent write up

pepdav
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot:duh: ..... I was wondering about where to set my speedo needle when I install the new motor I just purchased. Right now when it's parked it sits at various postions around the 140kph mark. Do I set the new motor at '0' and adjust using GPS or do I set it to the position it is in when I disassemble and let it swing back down to '0'.

Craig17
10-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Four out of six gauges were reading nonsense on my 2004 Envoy. So I checked this site to see if there was any useful info. I found Chavez's walk-through and thought I would give it a try. I had previously used information from this forum to replace the blower resistor pack when speeds 1, 2, & 3 stopped working.

So I just replaced all six stepper motors and they all work perfectly (speed verified via GPS).

I had never soldered or desoldered anything before and was a little concerned that I'd fry the board. I watched some online videos about soldering before diving in. I spent $11 on the desoldering iron from Radio Shack and that thing works great. I bought a six pack of stepper motors on Ebay for about $30. That turned a several hundred dollar replacement cluster +labor into a $41 DIY job.

The dash came apart so easily on the Envoy it was a joke. It was eight screws, tilt the steering wheel down and it was out. Supposedly the Trailblazer dash is more difficult. Clean the clear plastic cluster face with some windex before putting it back in the vehicle because it's hard to get around the edges with it in. The whole process took about 2 hours and I really took my time.

Thanks Chavez!:thx

dstnwst
10-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I actually have a '05 GMC Sierra, but had to post here to say this was a great "how to". Wish I had seen this one before I did the stepper motor swap on my truck. The site I was following didn't mention anything about marking the needle positions on tape until it was telling how to reinstall them. It said to realign the needles with the marks on the tape. WHAT TAPE??? I re-read everything from the beginning and that was the first mention of any tape! After the initial panic attack, I found another site that outlined how to "zero" the needles through a trial and error method, so I am going to have to see how that goes. Hope it works. All my gauges are working now, but just a little bit off...
Anyway, a tip of the hat to Chavez for this great write up. :tiphat

Blazetralr
11-03-2010, 12:36 AM
This may have already been answered, but are all the stepper motors for the cluster the same? Currently my 03 TB has a defective tach, speedometer, and gas gauge. My thought is to replace the whole darn cluster in one swoop and hopefully not have this problem again. Yes?

bearhunter
11-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Yes, they are all the same. Replace all six of them while you have it apart.

drewmarting
11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
The How-to was great got the instrument panel out and the new stepper motors soldered in and everything worked great .....for about a week. Went out of town for a three weekend and the car sat for a few days. Now guages flutter a little bit at the resting points and I can hear the motors trying to work. But the needle never goes up past the resting point just a few small flutters when the ignition is turned on then nothing. Anyone got any ideas?

ftfd617
11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
It seems that I have had many of the same issues with my 05 TB that many of you have. Thankfully, some of you are super sharp and take the time to help out other people. Last year, my fuel sending unit went out and I got my help here (a full how-to with pictures as well). A month or so ago my speedometer starting having issues, so I referred to trailvoy.com and found that I had a bad stepper motor. One blog even gave where to get the parts. I ordered six new motors so I could get them all replaced while I had the dash apart. Again, step-by-step instructions with pictures. The job was a breeze. Since it only took a couple hours, I decided to tackle the winding noise coming from the engine. I checked the forum, and headed over to the auto parts store. Bought a belt and idler pully, came back and had it installed in 10 minutes and BAM! Problem solved.

So when I say it's my TB, it is actually my wife's car. So when I fix something on it, it makes me look like a superstar. Thanks to all of you who post for both saving me money but also increasing my ego.

Brian
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT
Indianapolis

tgw13
11-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Another happy reader here. Thanks for the easy to follow steps! I was a little hesitant but your instructions really helped. I had expected to send off the unit for repair and drive around for a week with no cluster. This way I ordered a motor and spent thirty minutes on the repair. Done, and it worked great. Yes I wish my soldiers were a little nicer (next to those factory micro soldiers mine looked pretty rough) but working is good. :)

Thanks again.

ieatglue
11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
The metal on my silicone board kinda snapped off. I tried adding more solder, but now my voltage gauge doesn't work for the most part. Suggestions anyone?

the roadie
11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
If it's a printed circuit stripe on the same side of the board as the stepper, you can often scrape off the green insulation (called solder mask) to expose the bare copper stripe, then solder on a tiny bridging wire from the stepper pin to the nearest exposed copper.

Any chance you can take a good macro close-up of the problem area? At work we need microscopes to do this sort of repair because the circuits are 1/10 the size of the ones on the instrument panel.

DaveM1
11-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Just did this today and it was very easy. Just go slow and follow the directions. Can't thank this board enough for such great info. It has saved me a bunch of money on my wifes 03 TB EXT going strong with 172k and runs like a top.:thumbsup:

PolishGuy
11-23-2010, 12:23 PM
This is a very usefull thread and a great site. Replaced the speedo stepper motor this past weekend. I allowed way more time than the work required since I wasn't familiar with opening up the dash to get the gauge cluster out. Once out, doing the repair took me no time at all. I've build and repaired a variety of electronics in the past and this job was super easy for me; took me more time to put things back together. Once adjusted, the operation of the gauges was smooth as it should be. I did have low back light illumination but was able to overcome that by gently tapping on the cluster housing after it was installed. Must be contact resistance and/or stray circuit capacitance. Also, the folks that sell the stepper motors have replacement bulbs just in case. Next on my list is to clean the throttle body......maybe over the Christmas/New Years holidays. PG.

DJGeorge11
11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
We've had a '04 Envoy XUV SLT V8 4x4 for close to a year now and a few days ago the speedometer started having problems. My wife called and said she was going over 80 and everyone was passing her. By the time she got to work, it was reading 50 when stopped. The truck has just under 69K on it.

I had originally found a site that claimed the Envoy was included in the GM campaign to fix the cluster issues for free but then found out that this only applied to full size trucks. After reading this thread, there have been some that have gotten relief from GM but I had already ordered my replacement stepper motors before I found this info.

I ordered the parts and then thought, "I wonder what you need to do to install them?". I had seen an online guide offered but started to search and found this thread.

I haven't received the parts yet but don't anticipate any problems with the replacement after reading this thread. I went ahead and ordered new bulbs at the same time figuring as long as I have the cluster out, I might as well do everything. The new motors are guaranteed forever and the bulbs are supposed to last 40,000 hours.

I've never had the cluster portion of the dash apart but I have had the Nav/Radio out to replace the buttons on it and to remove the CD that my wife got wedged in there along with the Nav DVD. I think getting the cluster out is the part that will take the most time. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and don't expect to have any problems once I get the cluster out.

I read somewhere that turning the car on & off will get the messed up gauges back to normal (for a short time anyway). Yesterday, the speedo was +60, this morning it was only +40 when I started it. I turned it off & back on and it dropped about 5-10mph each time until it got back to 0. I was able to drive it this morning with the proper speed displayed. Just a stop gap measure but good to know while I wait for the parts to come in.

Again thanks to Chavez for the originally post and for everyone else that has offered their experiences & insight.

Blazetralr
11-28-2010, 11:43 AM
After seeing mostly everyone with this problem have such great success with little effort, it was time for me to do the job. I was confident that I could perform this task also because of other jobs that I learned to do on here.
But, alas, it was not to be. I am not a good solderer, so I enlisted the help of a friend who has the equipment because he works on computers.

I went onto Ebay on got my stepper motors from mandigital, as was suggested. They were a good deal and shipped in a timely manner. It took some time to arrange and equally convenient time to do the work. We were able to rmove the cluster with some mostly easy work. We got the cluster out and disassembled and he began the desoldering/soldering process and described by a few on here and mandigital.

After replacing all six motors and connecting the wiring to power it up, most of the motors needed to be calibrated and we did so with instructions from here. The gas and oil gauges are totally off the dial with the gas about 7 o'clock and the oil stuck at 6 o'clock. The speedometer worked briefly and then began to fluctuate wildly (I can hear the gears inside the motor clicking as I slow down). The temperature gauge never came to life and the tachometer is functioning but I'm not sure if it is accurate.

I need to get the cluster working before the end of the year to pass Pennsylvania state inspection. Any suggestions? Get another batch of stepper motors and try it again? Can I buy the entire cluster with new motors already installed and go from there? Is the mileage affected by doing that?

I know that mandigital has a lifetime warranty on the stepper motors, but how do I know if my buddy damaged the new ones I bought?

TRAILBLAZER GURUS-HELP!!!

ftfd617
11-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I'd try to zero out the gauges before re-installing new steppers. Hopefully you marked where the needles zeroed out before you pulled them. Just rotate the needle counter clockwise until it's where you like it. Also make sure the needles are secured to the motors. Test the gauges before securing the cluster to the dash. Once you put power to the cluster, the needles should stay where you zeroed them. Hope this helps.

Blazetralr
11-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd try to zero out the gauges before re-installing new steppers. Hopefully you marked where the needles zeroed out before you pulled them. Just rotate the needle counter clockwise until it's where you like it. Also make sure the needles are secured to the motors. Test the gauges before securing the cluster to the dash. Once you put power to the cluster, the needles should stay where you zeroed them. Hope this helps.

We tried to do that several times because when we shut off the ignition, the needles didn't go back to the zero mark that we put on the tape. The speedometer sort of functions, but is 10-15 below actual speed. Temperature never did come up. And gas and oil are way off the gauge. Guess I'm gonna have to ship out the cluster to get it repaired that correct way.

ftfd617
11-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Well my friend, it almost sounds like the new steppers are working. It's just that maybe you missed a step during calibration. Before you ship it off, maybe try this: remove the clear plastic from the cluster and hook it up to the tb. Turn on the ignition to put power to the cluster. Shut the ignition off. With the cluster still connected to the tb, rotate the needles counter clockwise until they are at the zero point. Then test it out. Double check the solder connections to the temp gauge. Just incase you get in a jam, there is a guy who sells steppers on ebay who will repair it if you send it to him. I think he charges $135 for installation. A new cluster will cost you about $700 from the dealer. Let us know how it goes.

pipe7284
12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
well, im new to Trailvoy and am loving my new to mw 04 trailblazer:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/pipe7284/Chevy%20Trailblazer/DSC_0137.jpg

anyway, the RPM never worked since i got it, so did some research on here and found out it was the stepper motor...ok, didnt bother me so never got to order a new stepper motor. This morning i was getting gas since it was already on empty, filled it up all the way and when i turned on the TB the gas needle went bananas and its now pointing downwards, so i guess that stepper motor died too. went on ebay and just ordered two stepper motor to fix the broken ones on my cluster.....will keep you guys updated on how it goes....thanks for the usefull information on this thread.

the roadie
12-06-2010, 04:56 PM
...just ordered two stepper motor to fix the broken ones on my cluster....You have more confidence than I would have in the same situation. ;) I would have slapped all six new ones in there to reduce later annoyance. :yes: But welcome!

pipe7284
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
You have more confidence than I would have in the same situation. ;) I would have slapped all six new ones in there to reduce later annoyance. :yes: But welcome!

Now that you mention it.....I guess i`ll end up buying the other four too. LOL

gredden
12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Good thread. The instructions were very easy to follow. I only had to replace my speedometer. I would say it look me 25 minutes to get the cluster out, 10 minutes to to replace the motor, and another 30+ minutes to replace the cluster and all the trim. I did all of this outside with the weather being no warmer than 25 degrees.
I did test it before installing the cluster. Everything seemed to work fine. I have not driven it yet so I just hope the speedometer is close. I will be trading in out TB today. Thanks for all of the help.

socaldooley
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the step-by-step instructions with pics. My speedo went out a few weeks ago, and I found this thread and set aside some time to work on the cluster. I went ahead and replaced all of the stepper motors and was careful to follow the instructions and progressed slowly. Everything worked perfectly. :thx

Kirby Baker
12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Great HOWTO. I did this last night. Took about 10 minutes to remove the cluster. Then about an hour to build of the nerve to de-solder stuff. 5 minutes to de-solder. Another 15 minutes of nerve building, and 5 minutes to solder all 6 new motors on.

As for getting the needles recalibrated, lining them up with my marks on the tape didnt work for the speedo and tach. So I removed both of those, started the car with cluster connected, ran for 10 seconds, and turned off. Then installed the needles at the 'zero' mark and all is mostly good. Need to fine tune my speedo again as its reading 2 mph fast compared to my stereo's speed reading (runs off the speedo pulse wire).

mwiens
12-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Many Thanks for these instructions! My dad helped me replace these today and it all went perfectly!! Yeah for this forum - you all have helped me so much!!

cwyoungb
12-18-2010, 09:00 PM
It worked great! Thank you!!! I watched a clip on youtube for tips on soldering which helped. Thanks again!!

srmva
12-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I just ordered my stepper motors and going to replace next week.
I did notice there is a class action lawsuit concerning these cluster's. Strange the Envoy isn't covered though.
check it out
http://www.speedometersettlement.com/

Kirkdob
12-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Gotta love the internet. Coming home from the mountains, speedo did everything except work properly. I told the wife I'd check the forum when I got home. Within a few minutes, I learned it was a common problem, followed this link : http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48886 to learn how to fix it, ordered the parts on ebay (full set of 6 steppers for 35 bucks) and eagerly await the parts to arrive for any easy and inexpensive fix.

Thanks to the forum for making life simple. :thx

DL
12-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I just ordered my stepper motors and going to replace next week.
I did notice there is a class action lawsuit concerning these cluster's. Strange the Envoy isn't covered though.
check it out
http://www.speedometersettlement.com/

FYI, that website has nothing to do with any class action lawsuit. It's actually a website created by an outfit that repairs the clusters. The name and site are disguised to look like something informational but it just links you to their sales pitch. Just FYI. :m2:

srmva
12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes and no it informs you about Special Policy Adjustment 07187a. For those vehicles covered they tell you to go to the stealership to get a free cluster change.

Anyway, I changed the stepper motors. but added a step.
I installed cluster without the plastic overlay and hooked up my Actron scanner and GPS and went for a drive. adjusted the tach,speedo,temp, and voltage exactly as read by the scanner.

thg
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM
YEA, I just got done and it all works!! I changed 2 of the 6, gas and speedo.
Thanks again for all the great info!! Motor mounts, fuel filter, spark plugs and TB cleaning to go!! I did the T-stat and sending unit on Christmas Day..

alievens2345
01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a 2006 Envoy Denali, before attempting this I was just curious if the "check engine" and "check gauges" lights will come on if its just a faulty motor? My problem is with the gas and oil pressure gauges bouncing around. When the oil pressure drops, the screen says "low oil pressure - stop engine," does this indicate a bad sending unit, or does that message get set off just by the motor dropping? Same idea with the gas gauge and the check engine light? Thanks.

the roadie
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Warning lights are lit up by the PCM seeing a bad sensor signal, like low oil pressure or low fuel level. The light control software and the rest of the vehicle have no idea when a stepper goes bad, so I'd say your problems are not in the steppers.

And the low oil pressure is most often caused by the engine stalling out for some other reason, not by the sensor seeing low pressure in a well-running engine. You should be able to see which happens first by watching the tach compared to the oil pressure gauge.

alievens2345
01-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks, that will save me time trying that route. The tach doesn't change at all when the oil pressure bounces, the engine never stalls. I can be doing a steady 65 on the highway and never see or hear a change in the engine performance or the tach. The oil pressure gauge had been pegged at 80+ for a while then started bouncing to 0 and everywhere in between. I never notice any knocking or any other change from the engine indicating actual low oil level. As far as the gas gauge, that started bouncing around the same time the oil pressure was pegged out, along with the check engine light.

Kirkdob
01-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Just replaced all the gauge steppers per the instructions given. Bought parts off ebay for 36 bucks. I strongly suggest buying a solder sucker. They are only $4.00 and really help. The job was easy and the gauges work perfectly now. Thanks for the step by step.:thx

HalAshton
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks a bunch for this write up! This is the first thing of value I have ever soldered let alone desoldered. It just saved me hundreds of dollars and it makes SWMBO happy because now her gas gauge works again! Now on the the backlight for the AC/Heater.

conntaxman
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Due to the number of PMs I receive on how to replace a stepper motor I figured I may as well post the how-to. Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

If the needles in your gauge cluster flutter, stick, or stop working you may have a bad stepper motor.
Dealerships want $400-$700 to replace the whole cluster, but you can replace just the motor for around $10.

Tools:
Stepper Motor/s
9/32 Socket
Soldering Iron
Solder

Follow the instructions found in the following link to remove the dash faceplate:
You will need to unplug all the wiring harnesses for lights, 4-wheel drive, and rear wipers.

You will now be able to access the gauge cluster. Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place and then unplug the wiring harness.

The cluster is constructed from 3 pieces which are held together with clips. Remove the front clear cover by unfastening the clips.

Turn each needle counter-clockwise until it stops as shown below and then mark off the location on the tape with a pen. If you do this, you should have no issues with calibration when you reassemble.

Once you have your positions marked, turn each needle counter-clockwise until it breaks free from the shaft. Then use a fork to pry each needle off. It will take a little force, but just be slow.

Unfasten the remaining clips that hold the back cluster cover in place and remove. You will then be able to pull the circuit board off.

On the reverse side of the circuit board you will need to desolder the 4 points that are holding the motor on. These are easy to determine as they stick up a bit more.
Heat the solder and use a solder-sucker to remove the solder. If you don't have a solder-sucker, you can have an extra hand pry at the motor from the other side as you heat.
**Just be careful not to heat things up too much as this is a circuit board and you can harm other components if not careful.

Once the old motor is off, make sure the holes are clear of solder and put your new motor in.
Resolder your 4 points and place the circuit board on the back cover. Fasten the overlay piece back on now.
Now press each needle back on in the 12 o-clock position. Then turn each needle back to your mark on the tape. If you miss the mark just keep turning counter-clockwise until you come around again.

To test things out, plug the wiring harness back to the cluster. You should immediately see the needles jump down and then up to the original 'zero' points.
Make sure the needle for your new motor moved. You should really test this out first before reassembling everything to make sure your needles go back to their original points.
Typically, the gas gauge needle is a tick or so below empty. My RPM gauge was also about 100 rpm under zero at the rest position, so I made sure they were exactly in the same spot after I plugged the cluster back in.
Once you determine your needles are correct, just snap the clear plastic cover back on the gauge.

Step 5 (Reassemble)

You are done!
-----------------------
Hello CHAVEZ
could you tell me if this is the same directions and same stepper motor for a 2004 cadillac escalade.
thank you VERY much
John/conntaxman

mrinken
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm considering doing this on my younger sister's trailblazer. There is one specific step that makes me nervous... After "zeroing" and marking each needle, you turn it FARTHER CCW to "break" it from the motor shaft? I guess if you're motor is already toasted it's alright to ruin the shaft on it too? I thought the two were keyed together so would you basically be counting on the shaft key breaking off before the needle key? Thanks!

the roadie
01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
They're not keyed. A tight fit on the cylindrical shaft, plus perhaps a tiny spot of adhesive, is what needs breaking loose. The shaft is metal.

conntaxman
01-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Tools:
Stepper Motor/s
9/32 Socket
Soldering Iron
Solder

Step 5 (Reassemble)

You are done!
Hello CHAVEZ
could you tell me if this is the same directions and same stepper motor for a 2004 cadillac escalade.
thank you VERY much
John/conntaxman

mrinken
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy these for $30 for the set? The only ones I found on ebay were $7 each + $3 for shipping. Thanks!

mrinken
01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Did you find instructions somewhere for replacing the LED lights on the cluster? I KNOW I've seen them somewhere on here but after an hour of searching, decided to ask :confused:

CHAVEZ
01-22-2011, 09:33 AM
-----------------------
Hello CHAVEZ
thank you VERY much
John/conntaxman

I do not know for sure, however, I believe GM used the same stepper motors in many of their vehicles.

atp
01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Need a little help - order a stepper motor to fix the speedo in a 03 Envoy and replaced per instructions. Everything went smooth, however it still doesn't work properly. The needle goes up very slowly when I am moving and does not come back down. It will eventually peg. Did I do something wrong? Anyone else have this issue?? Thanks.

Raydar
01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Need a little help - order a stepper motor to fix the speedo in a 03 Envoy and replaced per instructions. Everything went smooth, however it still doesn't work properly. The needle goes up very slowly when I am moving and does not come back down. It will eventually peg. Did I do something wrong? Anyone else have this issue?? Thanks.

Sounds like one of the connections didn't take solder correctly, or there may be a broken trace or a solder splash on the circuit board.
I suppose that it's possible for one of the steppers to be bad "out of the box", but I've never heard of it happening.

Conntaxman... the steppers are going to be the same. I know the Silverado uses the same steppers. An Escalade uses (I believe) the same cluster as a Silverado, so you ought to be okay. As for the removal instructions, they ought to be similar. My '05 Silverado front bezel comes off much more easily than even the Trailblazer.

mrinken... Here's the set of 6. About $40 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-X25168-SIERRA-SILVERADO-GM-CLUSTER-STEPPER-MOTOR-/150545180513?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230d312761
This is the first set of 6 that I came across. There may be other sets for cheaper.

Search for "Silverado Stepper motor". (They're all the same.)

ZEUS2004
01-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Awesome info thanks guys. my tach motor just went out at 120K on my TB. this helps me out a bunch:hail:

Boatinfool
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
After about 2 1/2 hours of carefully following Chavez's instructions here, I've successfully replaced the stepper motor controlling my wife's Envoy's speedometer. Surgery went smoothly, and it would seem we have complete success. :woohoo:
Thanks for the information... Well done! :hail:
Dave

Big_C
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
First off - glad to find this info! My tach went out years ago & didn't really concern me, but now the speedo and others have joined it so time to take action.

I just read through the entire thread and must have missed the answer to the question "how do you zero the needles if they are already pointing south?" that was asked a couple of times at the top of the thread.

Thanks in advance for the answer!

Chris

Coupe
02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Just changed the gas gauge on my 05 Rainier 80k miles, using the first instructions. Taking out the cluster was simple, unpopping it was simple, soldering was simple, works perfectly. Wow something went easy and smooth :) I just use the copper stranded stuff to absorb the solder, thats the proper way. Done it a million times with other circuit boards.

Unfortunately I spent 3 hours replacing the level sensor because I thought that was the problem. I didnt find the stepper motor topic :( Next time a motor goes bad I know its a simple 1 hour fix :)

pipe7284
02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
ok, i am about to start this procedure to change the stepper motors. Now my problem is that the RPM and GAS needles are no were near the off position when the car is off. Do i just rotate them by hand counterclock wise until they hit the position where they are suppose to be when the car is off and tape them there and make the mark?
thanks in advance

Felipe

Coupe
02-05-2011, 09:13 PM
:bonk:ok, i am about to start this procedure to change the stepper motors. Now my problem is that the RPM and GAS needles are no were near the off position when the car is off. Do i just rotate them by hand counterclock wise until they hit the position where they are suppose to be when the car is off and tape them there and make the mark?
thanks in advance

Felipe

My gas gauge was straight down as well. Just put tape on the panel below the needle and rotate the needle counter clockwise and it will stop, mark on the tape where it stopped exactly. Its all in the instructions. The needles may be way off but they will stop at a point if you go counterclockwise. It wont look right, like it will be below 0 or Empty or whatever, but when the gauges get power they will go to the 0 position. Just mark where they stop going counterclockwise easily, dont force them.

pipe7284
02-06-2011, 10:05 AM
:bonk:

My gas gauge was straight down as well. Just put tape on the panel below the needle and rotate the needle counter clockwise and it will stop, mark on the tape where it stopped exactly. Its all in the instructions. The needles may be way off but they will stop at a point if you go counterclockwise. It wont look right, like it will be below 0 or Empty or whatever, but when the gauges get power they will go to the 0 position. Just mark where they stop going counterclockwise easily, dont force them.

Thank you very much!!!! will start this little project this afternoon!!!! wish me luck