fuel gauge problem! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: fuel gauge problem!

Pages : [1] 2

808trailblazer
12-14-2008, 01:04 PM
i got a 2007 trailblazer I6 engine. everytime i fill my gas tank to full level it always stays on empty and the check engine light goes on!!! Then about a day or so after filling up everything goes back to normal. But i noticed that the fuel gauge is not accurate anymore!! anybody else have this problem!!!
mileage is about 31,000. HELP!!!!:cry:

wardak33
12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
if sounds like there's a problem with the sending unit inside your tank, especially since you have the check engine light on. best bet is to take it to a dealer, you're under warranty anyways. they'll fix it for free.

808trailblazer
12-15-2008, 01:13 AM
if sounds like there's a problem with the sending unit inside your tank, especially since you have the check engine light on. best bet is to take it to a dealer, you're under warranty anyways. they'll fix it for free.
yup thats what i was thinking fuel sending unit problem. thanks 4 da help!!!:thx:iagree::)

bruhaba
12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Absolutely the sending unit. I had the same problem at 40k miles. Bring it to the dealer quick while you are under warranty. I can't believe GM doesn't fix this problem. They let years go by with the same issues.

petevw
12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
.....I can't believe GM doesn't fix this problem. They let years go by with the same issues.

Is there any wonder why they are in the shape their in?:rolleyes:

808trailblazer
12-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Absolutely the sending unit. I had the same problem at 40k miles. Bring it to the dealer quick while you are under warranty. I can't believe GM doesn't fix this problem. They let years go by with the same issues.
yup!!! got an appointment to take it in! is there a recall? lmk.:thx

wardak33
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
no...no recall on it. not even sure if there's a tsb on it. but you're one of the lucky ones with a warranty i guess.

808trailblazer
12-20-2008, 08:07 PM
no...no recall on it. not even sure if there's a tsb on it. but you're one of the lucky ones with a warranty i guess.
yup still got a warranty has only 31,xxx miles.

ama1az67
12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
The wife filled up the 05 Envoy today and gauge stopped working just like yours and other post I've read. Does anyone know how to find out if there is a TSB or recall for this item? If there is not, does anyone know the steps necessary to get one started? (other than buying a different product).

scm
12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I had this same issue on my 06 at about 30k. Fuel sending unit replacement fixed it. But now instead of the fuel gauge taking a while to drop from full it drops normal then when it gets to a 1/4 tank it drops really slow. Mine was GM certified used so the work was done under warranty. I also had a check engine/MIL light that came on so they had no argument to not fix it under warranty.

Remember to take it in as low as you can because they have to drop the tank to fix this.

808trailblazer
12-28-2008, 11:54 AM
ran out of gas yesterday!!! dis sucks having the guage not work on da wifey's ride!!! can't wait for jan 20 to have this problem fixed!!!
:thx:thx:thx

cruzzin84
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
i think i had read that there was a tsb on this issue!! but no recall!!! sorry not much help but i thought i would throw the tsb thing out there!! i will try and find it!!

808trailblazer
01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
i got a 2007 trailblazer I6 engine. everytime i fill my gas tank to full level it always stays on empty and the check engine light goes on!!! Then about a day or so after filling up everything goes back to normal. But i noticed that the fuel gauge is not accurate anymore!! anybody else have this problem!!!
got it fixed! turned out to be a bad fuel pressure sensor with a open circuit!
works fine now!!!:thx:m2:

hammerdownracin
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I had this same issue on my 06 at about 30k. Fuel sending unit replacement fixed it. But now instead of the fuel gauge taking a while to drop from full it drops normal then when it gets to a 1/4 tank it drops really slow. Mine was GM certified used so the work was done under warranty. I also had a check engine/MIL light that came on so they had no argument to not fix it under warranty.

Remember to take it in as low as you can because they have to drop the tank to fix this.

my TB was "certified used" and the gas gauge wasn't covered, mine has extended powertrain only, which came in handy since it died 2 months after I bought it.. This is my first GM product that I purchased and it is quickly looking like it will be my last....

jpru5112
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Has anyone attempted to replace the sending unit own your own? My '05 has the same problem, but it is out of warranty. At least I made it to 90k before it happened.

rbarrios
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
This is my first GM product that I purchased and it is quickly looking like it will be my last....

anyone here bought a used Honda or Toyota and have it run trouble free?

I think a few guys have changed the sender...
But- since youre already at 90,000... why not go ahead and just change the entire fuel pump?
Though I did replace my fuel pump that was still working great (sender too) at 134,000 miles.....

But I mean since youre going to take down the tank--- may as well put in a new pump--- that way youll know it will run for the next 90,000 miles... vs wondering if its going to die in the next 20,000???

blakern
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Just filled mine up today and the gauge reads empty, then it shoots up to full then empty, then 3/4s. Im really starting to think I should go back to dodge for my tow rig. So what if they get horrible gas mileage, atleast it wont be in the shop twice a week, every week. And @ only 27,000 miles this **** is getting old fast.

But what really pisses me off is that I just dropped 1800 on wheels and tires for the pile......:x:x:x

jpru5112
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM

But- since youre already at 90,000... why not go ahead and just change the entire fuel pump?
Though I did replace my fuel pump that was still working great (sender too) at 134,000 miles.....

But I mean since youre going to take down the tank--- may as well put in a new pump--- that way youll know it will run for the next 90,000 miles... vs wondering if its going to die in the next 20,000???

Was that a all weekend project or just a few hours?

jpru5112
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Just filled mine up today and the gauge reads empty, then it shoots up to full then empty, then 3/4s. Im really starting to think I should go back to dodge for my tow rig. So what if they get horrible gas mileage, atleast it wont be in the shop twice a week, every week. And @ only 27,000 miles this **** is getting old fast.

But what really pisses me off is that I just dropped 1800 on wheels and tires for the pile......:x:x:x

How Big of a "rig" do you tow with a trailblazer??

rbarrios
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Was that a all weekend project or just a few hours?

about 6-8 hours. depending how fast you work and whether you have the supplies.
I made a how to change your fuel pump

blakern
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
How Big of a "rig" do you tow with a trailblazer??

I tow just your standard open car trailer with my 98 trans am on it. Mostly short distances like 15 miles to the drag strip, or the longest would be 120 miles to the dyno tuner. So far the my trailblazer has impressed me with its towing. The 5.3 cruises right down the road with the car and trailer behind it.

91RS
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I love how everyone starts shouting recall whenever there is a common failure item. Honda makes ****ty transmissions, should have have a recall on those? It's a fuel level sender... a wearing item that can fail on ANY vehicle. :rolleyes: If that's going to upset you that much, just go ahead and buy that wonderful problem free import. The grass is always greener on the other side right? :ugh:

blakern
02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I will if I have to drop the tank every 25k miles.

91RS
02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I will if I have to drop the tank every 25k miles.

I've got almost 100k on my factory fuel pump and level sender. Out of all the trucks sold, there are bound to be a few premature failures... That is just the nature of electronic devices. I had one TV last 10 years and then the next one lasted 6 months... **** happens.

akorda
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
My TB is just over 71k miles (its an 05 LT 4x4). Think i should get the pump replaced or just the pressure sensor? I plan on having this truck for a while...

POWERFREAK
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Mine just started doing the same thing:bonk:. Goes to "E" after fill-up, gradually works it's way back up.

bruhaba
02-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I've had a 99 olds bravada (2 sending units within 100K), 99 chevy silverado ( 1 sending unit @ 60K) and my 06 trailblazer(1 sending unit at 40K). Sending units are not wear items. Brakes are wear items. GM purchasing cheaps out and saves money on non critical parts that are really freaking annoying when they break. 3 for 3 is a little ridiculous don't you think?

On the flip side, I'm an advocate of buying american and I'm a GM guy. Truck or SUV will always be American for me. If I get a car, it will be an import. I have way too many friends that have 100K+ miles on imports and have had ABSOLUTELY nothing break.

One other thing...recalls are issued for things that can be interpreted as safety items. I don't think a fuel gauge would ever qualify. If it did, GM would have fixed it by now. But since they are not obligated, they've made ****ty sending unit designs for years.
I love how everyone starts shouting recall whenever there is a common failure item. Honda makes ****ty transmissions, should have have a recall on those? It's a fuel level sender... a wearing item that can fail on ANY vehicle. :rolleyes: If that's going to upset you that much, just go ahead and buy that wonderful problem free import. The grass is always greener on the other side right? :ugh:

POWERFREAK
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
GM purchasing cheaps out and saves money on non critical parts that are really freaking annoying when they break. 3 for 3 is a little ridiculous don't you think?

it's a pretty common part to break on all cars/trucks. There's another thread on here (exactly the same, but older), there's a few posts about people having the same problems on their nissan and toyota trucks.

I agree, it's annoying...but come on, people have problems with all makes and models.

SCs_5th_Gen
02-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Has anyone attempted to replace the sending unit own your own? My '05 has the same problem, but it is out of warranty. At least I made it to 90k before it happened.

It is not that hard of a job. Just make sure you are low on gas so the tank isn't too heavy. It took me about 1 1/2-2 hours. I had the drivers side on jack stands and used o floor jack to help lower and raise the tank. I did this 90% on my own. The only help I had was putting the tank back in. Clean the top of the tank before removing the old pump.

about 6-8 hours. depending how fast you work and whether you have the supplies.
I made a how to change your fuel pump

6-8 hrs. Did you do this blind folded. :p

Mine just started doing the same thing:bonk:. Goes to "E" after fill-up, gradually works it's way back up.

Power...It is good to see you here also. I replaced mine last March-April. It started just like that too, goes to E on fill up. Then it started acting more sporadic. Then it got so bad that it would only read sorta correctly around an 8th of a tank. It would never read more than it had though, just always bounce around under the actual level. I'd always reset the odometer and "figured" about 15 mpg so I would never run out. I do average about 17, I was just being safe.

POWERFREAK
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Power...It is good to see you here also.

hey there:tiphat

boosteddakota
02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
my tb has 40k and it had the sender problem. i guess its a common problem with the gm's. my buddys malibu has that problem and my G6 had it also. whatever, no biggie. bring it back and get it fixed

Super 88
02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Sending units are not wear items. Brakes are wear items. GM purchasing cheaps out and saves money on non critical parts that are really freaking annoying when they break. 3 for 3 is a little ridiculous don't you think?

I agree completely. I have a "non GM" van that has over 200K miles on it. Still original pump/sending unit and it all works fine. Same with the engine and tranny.
I haven't seen or heard of too many GM vehicles that make over 100K miles without either the fuel pump or sending unit going bad.

Every maker has their lemons. It all depends on how you look at it and what you are willing to put up with.

One other thing...recalls are issued for things that can be interpreted as safety items. I don't think a fuel gauge would ever qualify. If it did, GM would have fixed it by now. But since they are not obligated, they've made ****ty sending unit designs for years.

Also very good points.

kennyleach
02-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes! I bought a 1996 Honda Accord in 98 w/56,000 miles on it. Drove it till 2004 putting over 200,000 more miles on it. NEVER had to do ANYTHING to it execpt change the oil and put gas in it. This problem has nothing to do with the Japanese car manufacturers, it is a GM problem. Bashing other vehicle makes does not make the fact that GM uses inferior electronic parts in their vehicles go away. Has ANYONE on this forum got over 100k out of their fuel sending unit in a 02'-05' Trailblazer or Envoy? No one that I know has. IT IS A FACTORY DEFECT.

rbarrios
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I changed out my FACTORY pump at 134,000 miles.
The pump was working fine.
The level sender worked fine.
I simply changed it out because of mileage- and because I was going to be traveling deep into mexico.....

I also- 90% of the time allow the tank to go to empty (light come on) before I fill up.

Preventative maintenance I guess.
Didnt want to try to find a fuel pump in the middle of the mexican desert or jungle..... bad enough if it happens in US... but mexico.....

Super 88
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I simply changed it out because of mileage- and because I was going to be traveling deep into mexico.....

I also- 90% of the time allow the tank to go to empty (light come on) before I fill up.

Didnt want to try to find a fuel pump in the middle of the mexican desert or jungle..... bad enough if it happens in US... but mexico.....

You are one of the very few - make that about the only one on here that I've seen go that far on a factory pump. I know lots of people and have relatives that have GM products, and I haven't seen ANY of them go much past 100K miles on the factory fuel pump. A close family member recently had one go just over 100K miles - like about 102K miles. They bought the vehicle new and never ran it below 1/4 of a tank.

But the fact that you replaced it as "preventative maintenance" tells me you had no confidence in it. I have no problem driving my other vehicle with 200K miles (with original fuel pump) anywhere.

wardak33
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm at over 130k miles with the factory pump. Yes, I did have bad readings at one point on my fuel gauge, but was fixed after using techron, as i mentioned before (sulfur build-up)

but now that i'm reading these past couple posts...i'm thinking i should change it out too even though i'm having absolutely no problems with it..

rbarrios
02-25-2009, 05:19 PM
But the fact that you replaced it as "preventative maintenance" tells me you had no confidence in it. I have no problem driving my other vehicle with 200K miles (with original fuel pump) anywhere.

If I were to ONLY drive around in SO CAL... id have left that pump in...
Call AAA and be on my way....

Having mom, dog, and our Xmas cargo- and having California Plates- and breaking down on some remote Mexican road with the danger of road bandits etc....... totally different story....

Super 88
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
If I were to ONLY drive around in SO CAL... id have left that pump in...
Call AAA and be on my way....

Having mom, dog, and our Xmas cargo- and having California Plates- and breaking down on some remote Mexican road with the danger of road bandits etc....... totally different story....

Right, I understand that. My point was I would take off to ANY point of the country with my 200K mile vehicle. I have no reason to go to Mexico, but if I did I wouldn't have a problem driving that vehicle.
There are many remote places on the way to Phoenix. I drive that several times a year. Shoot, there are even a lot of remote places between here and Seattle. We have seen a few places where there is no cell phone coverage.

Let's face it - these SUV's have some great points, but longevity of the fuel pump and few other parts are not one of them.

rbarrios
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
the news of travelers being robbed during the holiday travel season into mexico-- are numerous. especially on some of those highways where they know that there are American plated cars.... with passengers carrying US currency and goods....
Yeah- Id travel cross country in the US with the old pump- even in the desert... you can somehow get towing and locate a fuel pump relatively easy out here.

breaking down on one of these roads in mexico- having to locate a fuel pump- etc and being stopped there-- thats something that id rather not have to deal with... just too dangerous.;);)

on a side note...
sort of off topic....

My gf dad-- he and another man drove thru texas and on south into mexico.
On some non toll road.. middle of the night middle of nowhere....
he told me that at some point- they had a car following them.
they were the only cars on the road.
They speed up- so would that car. slow down- so would they...
they became concerned- and scared. this car would not let up being behind them. They thought they were going to be robbed at any minute...
they pull into a gas station for some safety.
the car pulls up behind them....
Its an older woman and her son.....
turns out they were scared of road bandits too-- and kept up to my gf dads car- for safety.. they didnt want to be the only ones out there...
they all laughed- and continued on the road toghether for some distance....;)

Super 88
02-25-2009, 06:31 PM
the news of travelers being robbed during the holiday travel season into mexico-- are numerous. especially on some of those highways where they know that there are American plated cars.... with passengers carrying US currency and goods....
Yeah- Id travel cross country in the US with the old pump- even in the desert... you can somehow get towing and locate a fuel pump relatively easy out here.

breaking down on one of these roads in mexico- having to locate a fuel pump- etc and being stopped there-- thats something that id rather not have to deal with... just too dangerous.;);)

I get what you are saying about the robbers. Just one other reason why I have no desire to go to Mexico.
But I have to disagree - there are long stretches out in the desert. No cell phone reception, and often hours without seeing any law enforcement or any type of help. I think saying you could get a new fuel pump "relatively easy" is being VERY generous, or incredibly naive!
I shouldn't have to mention to you what the summer temps are like.

I still say GM fuel pumps are a weak link in these vehicles.

My "other" vehicle still has the original transmission, original water pump, original starter and as mentioned original fuel pump, and the alternator made about 197K miles before I replaced it. It was still charging but the bearing was a little noisy. The only other part that was replaced on the engine was the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). How many people here can say that?
I know you can't. You've already had tranny problems, and replaced your water pump - in Phoenix IIRC.

I'm not trying to say these vehicles are crap, but some of the parts just are not as high of quality as they should be for 30,000+ dollar vehicles.

Frankly I've been surprised at how long the brakes last on these things. On the other hand, I'd much rather replace brakes every 30K miles or so, then replace other high dollar items.

Ooops, sorry we seem to have gotten off topic. We now return to our regularly scheduled thread! :D

kennyleach
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
My point is that after a full day of this post only 2 people have got over 100k out of their fuel pump/sending unit. Most have one or the other or both fail far before this, like under 50,000. I just wish everyone (including GM)could admit that this particular part is defective. I really love my Envoy all in all. Just hate being pissed on and told it's raining.

91RS
02-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Dude, not every single Trailvoy owner posts on this site and not everyone on this site look is going to look at this thread. You're full day of posting means nothing...

rbarrios
02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I do agree... the brake pads on these last a long time.

kennyleach
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I know that not everyone who visits the Trailvoy site looks at this thread, but I also know that every single person that I know who owns an Envoy has had this problem. I don't know why some of you are so defensive about pointing out a problem? Maybe your GM employees or blindly loyal to your product.
Dude, not every single Trailvoy owner posts on this site and not everyone on this site look is going to look at this thread. You're full day of posting means nothing...

jvaughn0311
04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
My 05 made it to 90,000 and is now having the same problems with the fuel gauge that everyone has described in this thread. There has been a few bits of instruction on what to do but can someone please sacrifice some time to put some instruction on how to replace the sensor (and possible fuel pump - depending on how much that cost...budget constraints)? Thanks - Oorah

rbarrios
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I made a how to thread on HOW TO remove/replace your fuel pump.
Though its for an 03- so there are some slight diff between an 05... and I think someone posted their own info on the 05 fuel level sender change...

search for Fuel Pump how to

Genestar
04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Same issue on my 05 Envoy started at about 60k. I have yet to fix it it has been about 20k miles. The friggin' pep boys told me it was in the dash and needed more time($$$$$). I told them to stuff it and did not let them fix it. Looks like a good thing too...

jvaughn0311
04-07-2009, 09:07 AM
search for Fuel Pump how to

Did the search and found the thread. Thanks! I will have to re-read to soak in all the info. Thanks again for taking the time to post the instructions and pics to help! :thx

m0stly_harmless
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Has anyone every tried pulling the CEL code for this issue?

I'm currently experiencing this.

I got CEL code P0463. :coffee

zeut02
04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I've read several threads about issues with the fuel gauge not reading correctly. It seems the problem is either in the cluster or the sending unit. My vehicle doesn't show any codes. The gauge started by going to empty after a fill up then slowly climbing to full. Now it spends most of its time at empty, occassionally showing about 1/4 full. The digital range shows between --- and 85ish miles corresponding with the gauge. My question is if the stepper motor is bad does it influence the digital range display? If not I would suspect the sending unit is the problem. Also are there any codes that are associated with the cluster or sending unit to help me find the problem?

bruhaba
04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
IT IS THE SENDING UNIT. I'll bet my salary and yours. It's been the sending unit on 3 out of the last 3 GM vehicles I have owned. (including my 06 trailblazer @ 40K miles and my co-workers 06 trailblazer ) I replaced mine without even going through the trouble of troubleshooting it!

Super 88
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
:iagree:

Most of the time if the stepper motor goes bad, there is no reading at all - all the time, or it reads way high or low. For example a family member has a GM vehicle that the temp. gauge is bad and it reads about 50 percent PAST the "Hot" mark even when the vehicle is stone cold (and stays there).

McMurrayTrail
04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I changed my level sender last weekend which fixed the typical symptoms that everyone is describing. Cost $80 for the sender, couple of $$ for spare clips for the fuel lines (good idea to buy because they can break if you're not extremely carefull when removing). I also bought a new fuel filter but did not find my vehicle has one that matches the replacement item. To be honest, I could not figure out where my fuel filter is located, and gave up on this item. (BTW, mine is an 05 TB LS).

Unfortunately, when I was trying to lift the tank back into position, I bent the bracket for the little canister at the back of the tank (is this part of the evaporative emissions system??). I also now have the CEL and "change engine oi" light come on for about 20 seconds after starting the engine. Has anyone else experienced this? Could I have damaged a connection on the "mystery canister" at the back of the tank?

shan1012
06-11-2009, 03:23 PM
well i think i must have a fawlty fuel sending unit cuz the gas guage just floats around and keeps dropping to empty (on my 2006 Envoy) and the check engine light is on... I have over 120k miles on it so how much does it cost out of pocket to fix? and can i get away with not fixing it or will there be any damage? thanks!

the roadie
06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
well i think i must have a fawlty fuel sending unit cuz the gas guage just floats around and keeps dropping to empty (on my 2006 Envoy) and the check engine light is on... I have over 120k miles on it so how much does it cost out of pocket to fix? and can i get away with not fixing it or will there be any damage? thanks!Welcome! Run a search and you can find what other members have paid for a new sender unit. And they installed it themselves by dropping the fuel tank. Only you know if you're up for that sort of job, or you want to pay the dealer $1000 to "help". :sadcry:

The check engine light is an entirely different problem and you need to get the code read out to see what's the fault. And ONLY when we know the code can we predict if you can ignore it (almost never a good tactic) or what. Predicting damage and potential cost ALWAYS requires knowing what code caused the CEL. Did I mention we need that code? :rotfl:

rbarrios
06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
want to pay the dealer $1000 to "help". :sadcry:

:

Around here in Los Angeles- I was quoted $1200 to replace the fuel pump and external filter...
I did it myself for about $350- including parts.

bruhaba
06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
GM OBDII has a code for faulty fuel level signal... Go to autozone, have them pull the code and look it up. If it has anything to do with fuel level, you don't have to sweat it. You don't have to fix a fuel gauge if you don't want to. I drove around my silverado for 50,000 miles before I fixed it. Just use the trip meter.

zeut02
07-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Finally got it fixed. It was the sending unit. The unit has a circuit board in it that had broken loose. $100 for the part plus $140 in labor. Took the shop about an hour and a half. The dealership said I needed to replace the pump too and it would cost $1000.

MrSmithsTB
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
$1000 bucks? Ouch. Get a second opinion, man. Unless that includes a Russian bride. If it isn't under warranty, find yourself a reputable shop to do the work. And buy your own pump. Also, dealers think pretty much everything needs to be replaced. Salesmen are even trained to convince you to replace your car while it is being fixed.

the roadie
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
...The dealership said I needed to replace the pump too...Why? Did they test it for pressure or flow rate and it came up short? Their definition of "need" (to have you bend over) is not at all similar to OUR definition of "need." (to hold on to our money in case of a real failure we can't fix ourselves) :cool:

zeut02
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
They said I "needed" to replace the pump because it was all one component. I told them they're idiots. (Thanks to this forum I knew better) I had a private shop do it all for $240.

cnjthigs
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I have a 2006 EXT with the same problem. I have been trying to find the Fuel Sending unit, but I'm being told it is part of the Fuel Pump which is about 400.00. Is this true for the 2006 model? Any ideas of where I can buy it online?

Thanks for the help.

the roadie
07-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Compnine shows the 2006 EXT to have separate units.

Pump is:

MODULE KIT,F/TNK F/PMP (W/O FUEL LVL SEN)(ACDelco #M10087)

Level sensor is:

SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL(ACDelco #SK1159)

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=538462&imageurl=http%3A//198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServ let%3Flanguagecd%3DEN%26countrycd%3DUS%26user%3DIn ternetUser%26mfgname%3D%26prodlinecd%3D%26acpartnb r%3DSK1159

Under $100 at rockauto.com

Who's spreading the lies about it being integrated?

cnjthigs
07-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info!

Auto zone, checkers, and Napa were saying it is one component. Hopefully get the part by next week.

jgorskiblazer
07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi all, just joined today as my '05 trailblazer crapped out. The fuel gauge went on ours earlier this year. At first it would stick, now it just hovers around empty. On a good day it might hit a quarter tank. As for my other problem, I'm thinking it's in the fuel line so I'm researching it. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

the roadie
07-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Fuel gauge error can be either the sender or the stepper motor in the dash. Need to get a scan tool on there to see if the sensor is sending good data or bad.

As to the "crapped out" situation: Can you see it from our point of view? Too few details to make ANY sort of intelligent guess. Please explain further what you observed, heard, felt, etc. What makes you think fuel line?

Fefanatic
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
As someone who recently replaced the sending unit on my 07 Envoy it was about a 2 hour job. (my wife bought me a 4 post lift for my birthday a couple of years ago). My problem is that I broke some of the clips that hold the fuel line connections together and I have been unable to locate them. I ordered them through the dealer and got the black clips that clamp the fuel lines to the frame and fuel tank.
No aftermarket books show the clips and I have my fuel and emission lines locked in place with vinyl tie wraps for the time being.
It's frustrating not being able the get the right part for the job.
As far as the replacement went it was pretty straightforward. Make sure the tank is empty and lower it slowly so you can remove the fuel line clips and the electrical connections at the fuel pump and fuel tank pressure switch.
Make sure you have the locking clips before you start the job. It seemed the clips were brittle and would break if you even looked at them.

wanta23
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
1st post here. my gauge goes to empty when i fill it then settles at about 3/4,then seems accurate. Check engine light is on, 2 dealers say no codes and no problems???. Speedo usually doesnt work and oil pressure gauge is occasionaly maxed out. Could all this be a computer or instument panel issue?

the roadie
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
If the CEL light is on, and no codes in the computer, it certainly points to a bad gauge cluster receiving its data messages.

There are Ebay repair vendors that will do it for a flat rate, IIRC. Search Ebay for "trailblazer gauge repair".

McMurrayTrail
08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
wanta23: sounds like you may have two separate problems. The fuel gauge behavior is the same as you would see for a faulty fuel level sender. I would try to fix the other problems with the gauge cluster first though, and if you're lucky, that will also sovle the fuel gauge issue. Otherwise, you're looking at replacing the fuel level sender which is mounted inside the fuel tank.

Good luck!

gzxglk
08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I have 103,000 with the same sending unit and same pump. For the early models, make sure the issue isn't with the stepper motor that drives the needle. The first three years had a stepper that is prone to failure on all gages. I just wanted to point this out so someone doesn't change the pump/sending unit and still have the gage problem.

Yes! I bought a 1996 Honda Accord in 98 w/56,000 miles on it. Drove it till 2004 putting over 200,000 more miles on it. NEVER had to do ANYTHING to it execpt change the oil and put gas in it. This problem has nothing to do with the Japanese car manufacturers, it is a GM problem. Bashing other vehicle makes does not make the fact that GM uses inferior electronic parts in their vehicles go away. Has ANYONE on this forum got over 100k out of their fuel sending unit in a 02'-05' Trailblazer or Envoy? No one that I know has. IT IS A FACTORY DEFECT.

2007LTTB
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM
not sure if it was mentioned, But TSB PIT-3046E

TSB Number:PIT-3046E NHTSA Number:10026704 TSB Date:August 1, 2008 Date Added to File:December 4, 2008
Failing Component:
Fuel System, Other:Storage:Fuel Gauge System
Summary:
GMC: fuel gauge fluctuation in park or neutral, causing the low fuel light to illuminate.

mdy
08-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I have the same problem as 808 trailblazer, fill up, SES light goes on, guage stays on empty. He said it was the fuel pressure sensor.

I'm about ready to get a new pump, but is there a way to check out the sensor?

Thanks

the roadie
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Any time you get a SES light, get the code read, then post the precise code you have here. We can't give accurate advice without the specific code.

That said, it takes an advanced scan tool to talk to the sensor and get to see what it's reading. If you have a mechanic with that sort of tool, what they do is measure the fuel pressure with a real gauge, and compare it to what the sensor is telling the computer the pressure is. If they disagree, then the sensor's bad.

If the fuel level gauge stays on empty, I'd begin by being suspicious of the fuel LEVEL sensor, though, not the PRESSURE sensor. But who is "he", anyway?

Fefanatic
08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
The fuel pressure sensor won't be read unless the tank is between 1/8 and 7/8 full. If the guage shows empty the ecm won't run the emissions test so the sensor isn't being read. I would suggest getting the code scanned before you drop the tank to replace the fuel level sensor. You have two different problems here. One is the bad sending unit and the other the ses light.
Good luck with your problem. I am assuming your 08 is still under warranty. Make the dealer fix both problems.

ChevyFamily
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
We've had the same problem with our 06 Trailblazer, each time we fill up it says empty (sometimes showing full, then back to empty right away:mad:). We tried the Techron additive to clean the fuel system, no luck. Then we tried the Gumout Fuel System Cleaner - it works perfectly now :woot:. We've had the problem for 2 months, now for a few weeks we've been problem free. Try the Gumout before dropping tons of cash on new parts :m2:.

Fefanatic
08-15-2009, 12:52 AM
We've had the same problem with our 06 Trailblazer, each time we fill up it says empty (sometimes showing full, then back to empty right away:mad:). We tried the Techron additive to clean the fuel system, no luck. Then we tried the Gumout Fuel System Cleaner - it works perfectly now :woot:. We've had the problem for 2 months, now for a few weeks we've been problem free. Try the Gumout before dropping tons of cash on new parts :m2:.

While I certainly hope this cured your problem I can post a picture of why the sending units go bad. The sending unit has two tangs with contacts on the end that ride on a resistance coil. The contacts break off the tang and that's why they no longer work properly. No amout of cleaner will correct it very long. As a matter of fact, when I dropped my tank and changed the sending unit there was no buildup of any residue. The tank and all internals were clean as a whistle.
Again, I hope this really did cure your problem but I have my doubts....

cnjthigs
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Compnine shows the 2006 EXT to have separate units.

Pump is:

MODULE KIT,F/TNK F/PMP (W/O FUEL LVL SEN)(ACDelco #M10087)

Level sensor is:

SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL(ACDelco #SK1159)

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=538462&imageurl=http%3A//198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServ let%3Flanguagecd%3DEN%26countrycd%3DUS%26user%3DIn ternetUser%26mfgname%3D%26prodlinecd%3D%26acpartnb r%3DSK1159

Under $100 at rockauto.com

Who's spreading the lies about it being integrated?

Thanks Roadie for all the info. I just finish replacing the Fuel level sensor and the gage is working great! It only took about two hours with my son helping me. Only cost $98.00 for the part and shipping.

markarock
10-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Earlier in the week I filled the gas tank. It took 20.3 gallons. When I got in and started it up, the low fuel light stayed on and the gas gauge read empty. Uh oh.

I drove home, about 10 miles, and turned off the truck while I unloaded some things. When I restarted the truck after about two minutes, the low fuel light went off and the gauge read full.

Next day when my wife started the truck to take it to work, the check engine light came on/stayed on. The gas gauge worked. The check engine light was on the entire way to work, about 15 miles. On the way home, it went out.

I checked today and found a P0463 code. My AutoTap scanner translated this as "Fuel level sensor circuit high voltage". I checked but didn't see any list of trouble codes here on Trailvoy, so I went searching. I found this site with all of the generic codes listed:

http://www.engine-light-help.com/generic-check-engine-light-codes.html

The generic translation for a P0463 code is "Fuel level sensor circuit high input". Almost the same. Input vs. Voltage.

Anyway, does anybody have any idea why there might be high voltage/input in my fuel level sensor circuit? Does it seem that this is a signal (NPI) that my sending unit will soon be RIP?

Thanks.

the roadie
10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
You got it. Flaky sensor about to die, or a loose//broken/corroded wire in the harness.

markarock
10-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Just an update. Took a trip to Pittsburgh Tuesday and returned yesterday. Filled up before I left even though I had 3/4 of a tank. Bingo, the low fuel light came on. As I drove, for about the first 15 minutes, the gauge would read empty and the low fuel light would be on, then the gauge would appear to re-set and would read full and the light would go out--for about 30 seconds. Then the needle would swing to zero and the light would come back on. At some point the check engine light came back on and stayed on for about 15 or 20 minutes once the gauge started working properly again.

It worked properly then the rest of the way into Pittsburgh, in and around Pittsburgh, and all the way back to Ohio. When I filled up close to home, the problem reappeared. So, at least with my sending unit, the problem appears to be related to the circuitry at the "full" level.

Interesting.

I'll be ordering a new fuel level sensor and will replace it at a convenient time.

What special tools will I need? I can research it if I have to, but maybe somebody can save me the effort. I'm thinking I will need a special tool to disconnect the fuel line(s). Anybody?

Dave3500Z
10-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Bringing this back since i now have the same problem after lending my '06 TB to the wife..

It looks like when she put gas in it the metal flap at the filler neck broke off and dropped down into the tank. with a full tank it shows empty for about 10 miles then it starts working right.

It's a little more comforting to know this is common. :thx

warranty better cover this, or it's getting traded back in.. :)

markarock
10-10-2009, 08:25 AM
When you get it fixed, let me know what they replaced, just in case there is something more I should be ordering before I start this project.

Thanks.

Doubt that the metal flap is the cause. Doubt that it could cause the sending unit assembly to malfunction that way. Probably just a coincidence. Probably, but...would be interesting to know the mode of failure if it was the cause in your case. My flap is still in place and it is malfunctioning.

Dave3500Z
10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
It's going in to the dealer next friday, i'll be sure to post up what they found. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get fixed. I'll be stuck driving a cavalier with no interior, no HVAC and a welded front diff.. haha

Remix
10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Just had mine repaired. In fact, it is the fuel level sensor. As a favor to your mechanic, don't show-up with a full tank because they need to drain it to replace the level sensor.

It's a poor design - I should post photos, it's interesting.. The fuel level arm in the tank has a float that pivots the arm which moves a pair of brushes over a series of contacts (resembling a variable resistor).
The problem is that the brushes wear out abnormally quick - so the contact is intermittent at first, then eventually they break and never send a signal again.

The aftermarket (not OEM) part was a better design according to my technician; although I didn't see it - but I kept the old one to show you.

markarock
10-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Which aftermarket part did you get? Which brand? Not the AC Delco one?

Thanks. Would like to see pictures.

GM loyalist
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Just had mine repaired. In fact, it is the fuel level sensor. As a favor to your mechanic, don't show-up with a full tank because they need to drain it to replace the level sensor.

It's a poor design - I should post photos, it's interesting.. The fuel level arm in the tank has a float that pivots the arm which moves a pair of brushes over a series of contacts (resembling a variable resistor).
The problem is that the brushes wear out abnormally quick - so the contact is intermittent at first, then eventually they break and never send a signal again.

The aftermarket (not OEM) part was a better design according to my technician; although I didn't see it - but I kept the old one to show you.

Was this an expensive repair and did you have it done at your regular mech. or a dealership?

rayquan_co94
10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
having the same problem with my 2005 isuzu ascender with 61000 miles....i am guessing that i am no longer under warranty so i will have to foot the bill for it.....sux....TY:suicide:

MJHavertape
10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
:cry:When I fill tank, the gage reads empty and low fuel light on. After driving a few miles, starts to read full and then immediately goes to empty. The lower the fuel tank gets, the more often it starts reading the fuel level, however often reads full when I know it is between 1/2 and 3/4. Between @3/8 and 1/4, starts reading correctly and then check engine light finally goes off. Have done this several times. Big surprise though, did not get low fuel light or get to total empty and I ran out of gas. I tried the Techron additive to clean the fuel system, no luck. I will try the gumout additive to see if it works. GMC wants $85 to do diagnostic to tell me what is wrong. I can see hundreds of $$$ disappearing!

91RS
10-24-2009, 02:45 PM
:cry:When I fill tank, the gage reads empty and low fuel light on. After driving a few miles, starts to read full and then immediately goes to empty. The lower the fuel tank gets, the more often it starts reading the fuel level, however often reads full when I know it is between 1/2 and 3/4. Between @3/8 and 1/4, starts reading correctly and then check engine light finally goes off. Have done this several times. Big surprise though, did not get low fuel light or get to total empty and I ran out of gas. I tried the Techron additive to clean the fuel system, no luck. I will try the gumout additive to see if it works. GMC wants $85 to do diagnostic to tell me what is wrong. I can see hundreds of $$$ disappearing!

You'll spend about $400. The part is like $110 and it's 3 hours labor.

Dave3500Z
10-25-2009, 10:31 AM
mine was the fuel level sender (of course). It was still under warranty so the repair was free.. and they even changed the oil for free too :)

but of course, i go to start it this morning and it idles extremely rough and blows smoke for about 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

lalahg
10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
I've been having the same problem for a couple months. Here's a tip - Just reset the "Fuel Used" at every fillup. Then use that as your gas gauge. Fill up the tank before you use 20 gallons (or whatever you feel comfortable with). I noticed when I fill up the DIC is always within a tenth of a gallon of what the pump says. The only annoying thing now is the low fuel warning going off when it shouldn't be.

mapanch
10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Mine has the problem of when I shut the truck off, I have say 3/4 tank of gas, when I start the truck, I have a 1/2 tank (and I park on a flat level surface). I have also noticed when driving, I'll have a 1/2 tank, and it won't move forever, then it'll be down to a 1/4 tank. "Supposedly" the dealership fixed this problem, but 6 months later, its still doing it. Any ideas guys? You have helped tremendously so far. :thumbsup::thx

clayjdwalker
10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Alright friends, I had the same exact issue on my '06 TB...still under warranty (thank God). The problem was the fuel level sensor, which I was told was a common problem with that model.

Yeah, under warranty, 100 bucks for the deductible...

without: 565.48 for the module, and 142.05 for the sensor kit...labor was 162.34

dude, seriously, I wasn't expecting that at all...throw in replacing a tensioner, a jacked up speaker, and the total came to 1288.80

ummmm yeah

91RS
10-29-2009, 05:53 PM
They're not going to replace the fuel pump module for a fuel level sender.

ShawnAndrewMAC
10-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Well I ran out of gas today. I had just got on the highway and started passing someone when BAMM, no more acceleration. I coasted for about 3 minutes and almost made it to a decline, which led to an exit, where I knew there was a gas station. Unfortunately, while I was coasting on the shoulder, there was another vehicle pulled over so I had to stop, couldn't go around him because of the traffic. Where I stopped, sort of on a bridge, there was no safe place I could leave my wife and child, so I made the choice to bring them with me. About 15min down the highway, a couple offered us a ride, they even had a car seat for my son. We made it to the gas station, and my son started tearing the store up, I had to be quick. It was about a 30 min walk up hill and I was wearing the most uncomfortable boots, felt like I was wearing concrete slabs for boots. What really didn't help was the fact that I missed breakfast, and I forgot my morning coffee because we were running late. I now realize how out of shape I am and how critical that fuel gauge really is, I've gotten used to using the trip meter the past few months, but when you have so many other things on the go, sometimes you miss a thing or two, like filling up the tank or not making a coffee first thing in the morning.:crazy:

427cobra
11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I am having the same problem as described by most of you with my 06 TB.

I fill up my tank and the low fuel level light goes on. Then a few miles up the road the level creeps up to full. Just the other day the check engine light came on. So time to fix the problem!

I ordered a new sending unit kit for $65.00 from gmpartsdirect.com today and planning on installing it this weekend.

Ill post an update after the install...:)

chevyboy92
11-02-2009, 08:05 PM

This is funny that I just saw this today. :mad: My 07 Tb just went in at 4:00 today for the same exact problem. Thank God it's still under warranty. :woot:

markarock
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I ordered a new sending unit kit for $65.00 from gmpartsdirect.com today...

I thought they were more expensive than that.

Also, you say you ordered a "kit". What all comes in the kit?

What is the part number for the kit you ordered? I'm still living with my problem, but if it is "only" $65, I might get to the repair sooner than if it is $135.

Might. :)

427cobra
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Got it done today!

It fixed the problem. The gas gauge works as it should now!

I saw on my old sending unit where one of the contacts broke where it touches the level sensor part. So thats what was causing the problem...

Pretty straight forward installation. Took me and a buddy 2hrs. Definatly a two person job!

The p/n is 19178477. Comes with the sending unit and new tank gasket/o-ring.

A tip...use a jack under the tank to raise and lower it. Also jacking up the rear end as high as you can helps with installations done in the driveway...ha

gmpartsdirect is VERY resonable. Most parts are close to half of what the dealer charges for the exact same part.

markarock
11-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Did you need any special tools to do this job?

Anything I should be careful of?

427cobra
11-08-2009, 08:53 PM
you can get the gas line connector realease tools....

But you can use your hands to get them apart. Other than that just some basic hand tools.

I would be careful when removing the fuel pump assembly not to damage anything. Also blowing off any debris before removing the pump is a good idea.

Good Luck!

Mag2088
11-13-2009, 09:33 PM
The fuel sending unit inside the tank is almost always the problem. They fail because of the ethanol content that is being blended with the gasoline now adays. The metal that is used to make the sensor is not fully compatable with the ethanol content thats in the gas and that causes corrosion on the sensor changing the resistance and changing the reading on the gauge. GM is currently changing the sensor in these vehicles to fix this problem.

white06ls
11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
My tb just started withthe fuel gauge issue. Its kinda annoying but I can calculate via the trip odometer until I decide to get it fixed. it lasted 105,000 miles before it started happening so thats not too bad.

I am just going to drop the tank mysef when I get the spare time I think.

Oh well.

gobles110
11-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the help with the fuel gauge issues and ideas to fix the problem :thx

silvertb4x4
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
What a poor setup mines got not even 40,000 miles went to fill it up the other day and what do you know the low fuel light. Atleast its under warranty til 48k. I just hope they dont wipe my pcmforless tune..

Big Daddy
11-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I was reading on another site that Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner can remove sulfur buildup on the fuel sensor thus solving the problem. Anyone ever trythis. My '06 TB LT :bonk:with 55K just started doing the fuel gauge dance last week. Drives me nuts.:hissy:

91RS
11-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I was reading on another site that Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner can remove sulfur buildup on the fuel sensor thus solving the problem. Anyone ever trythis. My '06 TB LT :bonk:with 55K just started doing the fuel gauge dance last week. Drives me nuts.:hissy:

That won't work because the problem is the tangs on the sender break off from fatigue. Nothing but a new sender can fix that.

Mizzouri
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Having the same issue in our 07 TBSS. Tried Techron at first as I remembered this fixed our gas gauge problem in a 02 Z06. This time not so lucky. Well, at least the part is relatively cheap.

Big Daddy
11-28-2009, 08:58 PM

I tried two 12 oz bottles of Chevron Techron injector cleaner in a full tank of fuel as was recommended on another tech site. Put it in last week end and as of today, one week later, fuel gauge is working fine. Hope it lasts. Might be worth at try before you drop the tank.

pjsl01
11-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Well...we just bought our 2005 Envoy XL last Tuesday. Filled it up from empty tonight and the needle didn't move and check engine light came on. Based on this forum, sounds like it is the fuel sending unit. Sounds likes a very common issue. Good thing it was certified with a 12 month bumper to bumper. Other than that it is a great vehicle and this is a great forum. Thanks all!!

envoynali
12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
i have an 06 Envoy Denali with same issues described. I have 40,000 miles on it. Same problem when full, guage drops to empty, low fuel light and low fuel buzzer. shortly afterwards, shoots back up to full. Tripped Engine light. when fuel gets below 3/4 of a tank the gauge works normal. Sucks!!!

Spee
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, I got the same problem here. I tried using a bottle that GM told me to get but it didnt work. I just went to fill up again last night from 1/4 to full and it went all the way down. Does anyone know where I can buy "Chevron Techron" in Toronto or GTA?

donnedved
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
My fuel level sending unit did that about 30 days after my warranty expired. It's fairly common with the Trailblazers. I've purchased a new sending unit but have yet to drop the tank out and put it in. Not a job I'm looking forward to. :)

Don

Spee
12-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Thats y I dont want to do that Dom =]

I need to find some Chevron Techron in the GTA.

bruhaba
12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I bought a whole case of techron and ran the truck with a strong mix for weeks. It might have changed the behaviour of the gauge a little, but never fixed it. IMO don't waste your money(techron is expensive), buy the sending unit, suck it up and change it. After looking at the crappy sending unit I pulled out, there was no saving that unit with fuel cleaner, just not enough preload on the contacts. Nothing fuel cleaner would fix. The updated sending unit had much more travel/preload on the contacts.

Please don't flame me saying techron worked for you. IMO if it did work, it is only a temporary band aid for the crappy sending unit in there. It didn't do a thing for me. It is the best fuel system cleaner though.

oo7
12-28-2009, 02:03 PM
This sounds all too familiar. How frustrating?

So, I've got 42k, and about 5 fill ups ago it started, symtoms are very consistant...

Everytime I fill up, it goes to empty, the empty light lights, and the empty chime chimes. When I do the quick turn of the key, it doesn't keep trying until it starts like it normally does, so I have to hold it in the start position til it starts. Ug! Life is so ruff, right? After about 50 miles, it starts going back up, but isn't accurate til about 80 miles, seems to work fine after that til the next fill up.

I couldn't get it in to get it looked at before the holidays, so I drove it to NY like that, and it was fine. Almost ready to live with it like it is rather than be troubled with leaving it at the dealer and being without a car for days, and trying to get it covered by my Carmax extended warranty. (It is a Chevy after all.)

But, then, the check engine light came on, as you mentioned in your original post. Was it the same problem? I consulted the owner's manual, and it says try tightening the gas cap and see if it goes away after a couple trips. Or, it could be the brand of gas; try using "a different brand", and see if it goes away after a few fill-ups. LOL! Well, it did come on right after a fill-up, about 10 miles after, so I was just about calmed down about the fuel gauge malfuntion. I used Exxon on that last fill up, and I usually use BP, but for the 3fillups before, I just used whatever was close to the highway.

I've used 87 octane since I got it at 15k miles from carmax, but the manual refers to that as the minimal required octane level. It also happens to be the lowest available. Thinking of using higher octane, any thoughts or experience with this?

Also, I read here someone said bring it in empty so they can drop the tank, but the Carmax shop said they can't diagnose the problem unless it is happening when I bring it in. Maybe they're hoping it will be too much of an "intermittant problem" to diagnose until my extended warranty expires? Maybe they can find some way to get the gas out of the tank, and put it back in?

Great forum! It does offer some comfort to see that other people have seen the same problems. Its a little frustrating though, that this is a known issue with no recall or bulletin, and that none of the dealers or mechanics seem to be aware of it. They're all acting like its a mystery that they might be able to solve for me, and of course, if they determine its not covered under their warranty, I have to pay the diagnosis fee and drive away with it still broken or pay them whatever they want for them to say they fixed it.

donnedved
12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
...I also own a code reader. If you don't own one, many of the car parts stores will read the codes for you, free of charge.

The loss of signal from the sending unit will cause a DTC code which turns on the check engine light. And that won't go away as long as the sending unit is bad.

I replaced mine myself a couple weeks ago and it took me about 2.5 hours, so a shop should be able to do it in the same if not quicker. My tank was pretty much empty though, so it would take them longer if they have to drain the tank.

But the point is that it won't go away on it's own, it WILL cause the check engine light to be on all the time, and they should only charge you 2-3 hours of labor plus about $100 for the part. It also caused the PCM to not allow the Auto Crank feature to work. When I changed mine, I had the battery disconnected which sets all the computers back to factory defaults, and much to my pleasure, the Auto Crank started working again.

Let me know if anyone would like more info.

:tiphat

donnedved
12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
There are service bulletins that say it's highly recommended to use the octane level specified in the manual and that it's a waste of money to use anything higher.

Another service bulletin advised to use only fuels which are Top Tier rated. Top Tier is a fuel standard that was developed by the car manufacturers that exceeds the EPA and fuel producer standards.

oo7
12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh. Uh. I wonder if it is the same problem. Mine goes away when it gets down to about 3/4 of a tank. So, this morning, the check engine light went out, the fuel gauge went up, and the auto-start worked. No symptoms at all. But, every time I fill it up, it goes back to how it was, with the check engine light being a new addition to the list.

I talked to the local Chevy dealer service center, and he said they could do warranty work even though its on CarMax's extended warranty. Sounds like he's done it before. Should be able to wait there while they fix it too, rather than bum rides from friends.

He said it would be better to bring it in closer to empty, and that he can diagnose it without the symptoms showing when I bring it in, contrary to what I was told by the 'technician' over at the CarMax 'service' department.

oo7
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the info.

That part about the octane sounds familiar, and the owners manual does say 'top tier', but the choices at the gas station are {87, 89, and {91, 92, or 93}}. Is there a sticker on the pump at gas stations with a top tier rating?

I've been using bp because its the most expensive i can find, and that has been great. But, when I travel out of town, I'm not very picky.

donnedved
12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
When you go in find out whast the DTC code is. Below is the DTC info for the fuel level sensor out of the factory service manual. Gives you some knowledge for when you go to the shop. :D

I'll be surprised if it's not the level sensor. Good luck to you. :)

DTC P0461
Circuit Description
The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the signal circuit of the fuel level sender in order to determine fuel level. The sender consists of a variable resistor that changes resistance based on the fuel level in the tank. The PCM monitors the voltage across the sender resistance in order to determine the fuel level. The PCM uses the signal circuit of the fuel level sender in order to calculate the total remaining fuel, in percent. The PCM sends the fuel level percent via the serial data circuit to the instrument cluster in order to control the fuel gage. The fuel level information is also used for misfire and evaporative emission (EVAP) diagnostics.

This diagnostic tests for a stuck fuel level sender signal. The PCM sets this DTC if the fuel level sender signal appears to be stuck based on a lack of signal variation expected during normal operation.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0461 Fuel Level Sensor Performance

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is ON.

The PCM has confirmed that the fuel tank is between 15-85 percent full.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM does not detect a change in fuel level of at least 3.0L (0.79 gal) over a distance of 320 km (200 mi).

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The fuel gage defaults to empty.

The low fuel indicator illuminates.

The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The PCM stores the failure information in the Failure Records on the scan tool.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The DTC becomes history when the conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present.

The history DTC clears after 40 malfunction free warm-up cycles.
The PCM receives the clear code command from the scan tool.

donnedved
12-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Here's the service bulletin published by GM regarding Top Tier fuels...FYI

#04-06-04-047H: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only - (Jun 24, 2008)

Subject: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only

Models: 2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn) (U.S. Only)

2003-2009 HUMMER H2 (U.S. Only)

2006-2009 HUMMER H3 (U.S. Only)

2005-2009 Saab 9-7X (U.S. Only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and additional sources to the Top Tier Fuel Retailers list. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). In Canada, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by six automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards
As of November 15, 2006, all grades of the following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards:

Chevron

Chevron-Canada

QuikTrip

Conoco

Phillips 66

Shell

Shell-Canada

Entec Stations located in the greater Montgomery, Alabama area.

MFA Oil Company located throughout Missouri.

Kwik Trip, Inc. in Minnesota and Wisconsin and Kwik Star convenience stores in Iowa.

The Somerset Refinery, Inc. at Somerset Oil stations in Kentucky.

Aloha Petroleum

Tri-Par Oil Company

Turkey Hill Minit Markets

Texaco

Petro-Canada

Sunoco-Canada

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by six automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?
The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004 and many fuel marketers have joined the program and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?
On the web, please visit www.toptiergas.com for additional information and updated retailer lists.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by six automotive companies: Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the six automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?
All six corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

jjbllngr
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Well I will be replacing mine tomorrow when I get off work and head to our shop. I have had the same symptoms as all of you and what do ya know its inspection time!! I will let you guys know how easy/hard it is to change for those who havent changed theirs and yes I agree why doesnt Chevy do a dam recall on this, oh wait it might cost our government some money so yea I guess no recall for us!!! Im hoping that it is the sending unit but after reading this post I do believe it will be. The part is $125 at a local dealer here in Texas but I bought it at wholesale price for $63. Now you guys should know the cost and hopefully arent getting raped on the price. Hopefully I didnt get raped who knows! Alldata says 2.7 hrs labor so hopefully I can pull it off in a little lower than that!!:suicide:

jjbllngr
01-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Well . . . it wasnt all that hard just a bit time consuming! Alldata called for 2.7 hrs I pulled it off in 1 hr 30 - 45 mins ! Watch those fuel line clips I did snap on and a lock tab for 1 connector, but yea easy fix! My muffler had a break in the weld in the front of it and after putting some pressure on it, it pulled apart a bit more so I SawZawed that baby off, lol!! Now its a Nascar!! So I went and bought a new Flowmaster 44 and will have that welded up in the morning, no more magnaflow! So overall it wasnt so bad, just take your time and have the right tools and your good! :cool:

gearjamminjake
01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
My point is that after a full day of this post only 2 people have got over 100k out of their fuel pump/sending unit. Most have one or the other or both fail far before this, like under 50,000. I just wish everyone (including GM)could admit that this particular part is defective. I really love my Envoy all in all. Just hate being pissed on and told it's raining.

uh i admit it, the part is defective. la di da.:sadcry:

JerryIrons
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
My fuel sending unit went bad at 47,000 miles, with the vehicle being 2 years and 3 months old

TheEricHarris
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
POS GM.

Fuel sender went bad at 42k on our 06' TBSS. Get a CEL and the fuel gauge just goes from E to F all the time.

Lease is up in 3 weeks, going to turn it in like it and tell GMAC to fix it on their own dime. Will be interesting how that goes......

91RS
01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
POS GM.

Fuel sender went bad at 42k on our 06' TBSS. Get a CEL and the fuel gauge just goes from E to F all the time.

Lease is up in 3 weeks, going to turn it in like it and tell GMAC to fix it on their own dime. Will be interesting how that goes......

They won't care about that, it'll sit at the dealer you turn it in at for a while and then go to auction and whoever buys it will have to fix it.

rayquan_co94
02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
i am having the same issue with my 05 isuzu ascender. tank is absolutely full but guage reads EMPTY....no check engine light at all....just inaccurate readings....05 ascender 62860 miles

2007 TB LT
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Same problem here....filled up and gauge went to empty. Drove home about 2 miles to try again the next morning and of course, the same thing.:woohoo:

So I am taking it to get it serviced at CarMax (under extended warranty). Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty because I only have 37,000 miles on it. I will update if CarMax Service Dept. tries any shady stuff.

nar-165
02-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks Wardak33! My gauge was acting up after a fill-up and before I got too crazy, dropped a bottle of techron on next fill and seems to be working properly. Still a bit nervous so keeping an eye on the odometer. So much good info on Trailvoy!

nar-165
02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Although based on the rest of the forum it's probably only a matter of time before I have to replace the sending unit.!

tdawgcj7
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
2007 Envoy with 60 k. Same issues... problem with the fuel gauge and sluggish starts and performance.
Just got off the phone with GM and a Dealership. The dealer said he may be able to file a complaint to help with the cost but otherwise it is 700-800 dollars.

I also had an issue with misfires caused by heavy rain. There is a bulletin on this sayingy ou have to replace the AIP seal so that water does not get in with your coil and plug. I did notice water in there...

Like others have said, i really like my envoy, just not these quality issues.

Replaced my tires today, went with General Grabber HTS (i work for Continental so i get a discount!)

zeut02
03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
In regards to the fuel gauge its likely the fuel level sending unit. The dealership wanted to charge me $900 and said I had to replace the fuel pump. Thats BS. All you need to replace is the sending unit. It cost me $160 to have a mechanic do it.

bruhaba
03-26-2010, 08:00 PM
2007 Envoy with 60 k. Same issues... problem with the fuel gauge and sluggish starts and performance.
Just got off the phone with GM and a Dealership. The dealer said he may be able to file a complaint to help with the cost but otherwise it is 700-800 dollars.

I also had an issue with misfires caused by heavy rain. There is a bulletin on this sayingy ou have to replace the AIP seal so that water does not get in with your coil and plug. I did notice water in there...

Like others have said, i really like my envoy, just not these quality issues.

Replaced my tires today, went with General Grabber HTS (i work for Continental so i get a discount!)

I had all these issues too, but after 80K miles of beating on this truck and towing my boat with it, it is working astoundingly well. Have to love how smooth this straight six engine is.

I replaced the sending unit for about 70 bucks getting the part from gmpartsdirect.com. Had the misfires caused by water in the coil. Just wanted to say the water did not get in the #4 like the TSB says from the hood seal, mine was in coil #1. Valve cover was dry near the #4. I could only conclude that it dripped off the AC line due to a series of hot, humid and rainy weather we had one summer. I pulled the coils, put a little silicone around the boot where it meets the valve cover. I also cleaned the throttle body at the same time.

I don't know about you guys, but 80K miles and only having to spend 70 bucks in parts isn't too bad from my perspective. I have never had my truck to the dealer since I bought it.

wishiwas1966
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks to everyone here, I replaced my fuel level sender today.
Tonight as I was driving home (after dark now) I notice the little red lite that normally comes on when your empty, is dim.
Its been so long since my gauge worked, I dont recall if this is normal or not.
To me, it almost looks like its just lit because the arm that shows the gas level is so bright.
Can someone out there take a look at yours after dark and tell me if its the same (or even attach pics if possible).
:)

BOBD1950
03-28-2010, 08:09 PM
If one keeps running the tanks @1/8 level consistantly, before filling up, you will fail the pump.I use a 1 oz. bottle of Amsoil syn. 2 stroke oil /full tank..great luber for all parts moving in the fuel system.

Yes,,it burns off clean,keeps the injectors happy.

bsmith
03-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Had an '04 Envoy from 50k-105k and never had a problem.
Got an '06 Rainier in January and it has started having the fuel gauge problem recently. The service engine light came on over the weekend too...guessing that is unrelated. :banghead:

My C5 Corvette had the problem years ago.

envoynali
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
i had the same thing with after fill up, fuel gauge goes to empty triggering service engine soon light. Put a bottle of techron concentrate in and before i got home which was about 2 miles from the parts store, it started working and have been every since. it's been about 5 days. Sulfur buildup on the fuel sending unit is what i was told. Good for now!

bsmith
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not generally a big believer in service agreements, but at the moment I am happy i bought one.
Sending unit will be replaced tomorrow.

SES light was due to the fuel gauge problem too.

mcouture
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
My '06 with 50K miles on it has similar symptoms.

Gauge works ok until we get to 1/4 of a tank. The gauge doesn't go past 1/4 or so and we no longer get the low fuel warning light. The DIC fuel used display is not correct either. My wife ran out of fuel twice now - the last time the gauge showed 1/4 tank of fuel and the DIC said it used 18.5 gallons.

There are no check engine light codes.

What do you think?

wishiwas1966
04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
No matter if you use the dic or the gauge, it has to get the info from the sending unit mounted to your fuel pump.
I got mine off eBay recently for $40 and I put an ad on Craigslist for someone to drop the tank and install it.
I paid them $100.
It's sooooo worth it. The dealer will skunk you.

ch41
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
My 05 Envoy XL started the fuel gauge problem this morning. My low fuel light came on and I knew I was low,so I stopped and filled the tank. I was very supprised when I started the engine that the low fuel light was still on. I drove it about 3 miles and the guage shot up to full about 4 times but for the most part stayed on empty. However I have now driven it about 30 miles and it is staying on full mostly, every so often going back to empty. My CEL did activate and is still on. From what I have read this is most likely the fuel level sensor unit. I am hoping not to spend a ton of money, so I plan to attempt the fix myself. Thank you to everyone for all the info.

D Bros Racing
04-14-2010, 12:22 PM

If it were just the fuel sender, I would not have an issue. But it's a worn fan clutch, cam position sensor, cam actuator, O2 sensors (twice- and I use 'top tier gasoline)- it never seems to stop with this thing. I've owned enough cars now to know when GM built junk, and this is as junky as it gets. After being a GM owner since I started driving, this car opened my eyes, and I've purchased a non-GM car and after driving it, I see how GM has lost market share. They need to wake up and start building quality vehicles.

mrrob
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I purchased a Certified 06' LS TB about 4 months ago. My wife calls me today to say she filled up and the gas gauge is dropping to E, then back up to 1/4, then F, then back to E. I have an appointment scheduled with the shop on Monday and this should be fixed under warranty service. It looks like it's OK to drive as long as I know when to fill up. I'm still in my 90day trial period of OnStar, is this something they can pull codes for? Is there any codes that show up? Another question, would this be considered part of the power train?

Other than that, loving this vehicle.

54inches
06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
My 2007 with 55k miles is doing the gas gauge boogey.

Now I have 3yr 36k mile warrranty, WITH a 5yr, 100k drivetrain warranty.

Will this be covered?

54inches
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Anyone?

markarock
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Nope.

Just my :m2: and IMHO. It's not part of the drivetrain, and you are way out of the 36k warranty. Sorry.

ch41
06-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Has anyone heard or checked on the service bulletin? I think its TSB3208B? I dont have it in front of me. It says to check for bad wire/terminal connections at the X101-C101 harness plug near the under hood fuse box. I have yet to really do any type of checking on this fuel gauge issue on my Envoy. As I read these posts i notice that most people are saying their gauge goes crazy bouncing around and never reads correct. Mine however does read normal all the time except when the tank is completely full the guage just reads empty until i use maybe two gallons, then it starts jumping from empty to full back and forth, then after a few more miles the gauge reads perfect and the servce engine light turns off. It works perfect until I hit a little less then a quarter tank, then it starts dropping from the actual level to empty over and over and the SEL comes back on. I was going to check the connections under the hood, but not sure which one is which as they are not identified as C101 or X101. Can anyone explain which one i would check to go along with that TSB? I still have a feeling I will need to drop my tank and change the fuel level sensor. Thanks to everyone for posting and answering questions! Very helpfull information!:)

Penswhite06
06-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Nope.

Just my :m2: and IMHO. It's not part of the drivetrain, and you are way out of the 36k warranty. Sorry.

Mine just started acting freaky yesterday so I called the local dealer here and got a quote of around $250 if it is the fuel level sensor. He said if it is the fuel pump too it would be around $500. I'm going to try to find some Techron first and see if that cleans something out.

ch41
06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I just wanted to add that I did try the Techron fuel treatment. The only thing it did was seemed to make the enging run a little more smoothly, and a little boost in acceleration but no change at all in the gauge problem. I also did some checking on the price of the fuel level sensor. My buddy works for a dealership told me his price on it was $115.00. (GM P/N 19177712 for the long wheel base trailvoys). The cheapest price I found was $43.47 on www.paceperformance.com They are a warehouse in Ohio and says it is a genuine GM part. Not sure on whether to trust buying it from them. Gmpartsdirect.com wanted $75.35. Does anyone have any thoughts on if I should or shouldn't purchase from Pace for $43?:confused:

54inches
06-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Nope.

Thanks for your 2 cents, but I need someone in the know.

I need to know if it IS covered under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

Thanks!

markarock
06-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, if you "need to know", then call your dealer. That is the only answer that matters!

Any answer you get here will not be binding on any dealer where you take your truck. Thus, all you can get here are non-binding opinions, opinions which will not convince a dealer to repair your fuel level sensor under the powertrain warranty.

So why even bother to ask here in this forum?

Finally, just use some common sense. Think about all of the possible definitions of "powertrain". Engine-transmission-differential is what comes immediately to my mind. And that's all that comes to my mind even after thinking about the definition for a while. I would NEVER in a million years think that a fuel level sensor would be covered by a "powertrain" warranty. It is not a part of any powertrain that I'm familiar with.

Heck, when I went to a dealer to ask if a leaking transmission seal was covered by the powertrain warranty, the answer was "No". They said it's a seal, it's not part of the powertrain. I politely expressed my incredulity. So then they looked at the language of the warranty and it expressly covers engine and transmission gaskets and seals, so they said, "well, looks like it is covered." The point here is that they interpret their warranty very narrowly, and that just about guarantees that there is a snowball's chance in hades that a fuel level sensor fits within their definition of "powertrain."

But don't take my word for it. Go ask a dealer. And when you get turned down, go to another dealer. Then keep going to other dealers. Who knows, you might find one who thinks like you do. :hopeless Could be worth it. :bonk:

Just my :m2:.

markarock
06-18-2010, 04:03 PM
In further support of the above post, here is the text of the GM 100,000 mile/5 year powertrain warranty--the one on used vehicles, which mine was when I bought it.

And I quote:

In addition to the Vehicle Coverage described above, General Motors will warrant each 2010 through 2005 model year passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine
Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case
Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems
Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

What Is Not Covered
All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this Powertrain coverage.

Roadside Assistance Program
General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first (based on original in-service date).

Refer to your Owners Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer.

For 2010 through 2005 model year passenger car, light duty truck and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan) is available through your dealer/retailer. These are the only plans recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details.

I don't see anywhere in this text any mention of the fuel system. From this I conclude that the fuel system, including the fuel level sensor, is not covered. Seems pretty cut and dried. Seems.

54inches
06-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh my you are a tool.

My questions is if ANYONE has taken their vehicle in and claimed under the 100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

Take a FN pill brother.

91RS
06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh my you are a tool.

My questions is if ANYONE has taken their vehicle in and claimed under the 100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

Take a FN pill brother.

It isn't covered. How many people have to tell you? I agree with Mark though if you really wanted to know if it was covered why not call your dealer and ask? You would have had the answer in 5 minutes. If you are in good standing with your dealer (a good customer) you may be able to get it goodwilled. :duh:

91RS
06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Has anyone heard or checked on the service bulletin? I think its TSB3208B? I dont have it in front of me. It says to check for bad wire/terminal connections at the X101-C101 harness plug near the under hood fuse box. I have yet to really do any type of checking on this fuel gauge issue on my Envoy. As I read these posts i notice that most people are saying their gauge goes crazy bouncing around and never reads correct. Mine however does read normal all the time except when the tank is completely full the guage just reads empty until i use maybe two gallons, then it starts jumping from empty to full back and forth, then after a few more miles the gauge reads perfect and the servce engine light turns off. It works perfect until I hit a little less then a quarter tank, then it starts dropping from the actual level to empty over and over and the SEL comes back on. I was going to check the connections under the hood, but not sure which one is which as they are not identified as C101 or X101. Can anyone explain which one i would check to go along with that TSB? I still have a feeling I will need to drop my tank and change the fuel level sensor. Thanks to everyone for posting and answering questions! Very helpfull information!:)

The connector is the big one attached to the side of the underhood fuse block, the bulletin is to check the wires and see if they are pulled to tight and take the connector off the attachment point so there is no more tension on the wires. Also cycle the connector a few times. All the ones I've seen affected by this set the check engine light though. It only applies to certain years though (don't remember off hand) because at some point they changed the connector design.

revdenny63
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I have the same issue with the fuel sending unit and have just taken my 06 Envoy to get the federally required emissions test on the vehicle and it failed EMISSIONS because the check engine light is on. Does this really have anything to do with clean air or just money? I will take it in to be repaired as it is an annoyance but I do not believe that it has anything to do with clean air.

Bodyslide
06-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I have the same issue with the fuel sending unit and have just taken my 06 Envoy to get the federally required emissions test on the vehicle and it failed EMISSIONS because the check engine light is on. Does this really have anything to do with clean air or just money? I will take it in to be repaired as it is an annoyance but I do not believe that it has anything to do with clean air.

Ours is doing the same thing...The first time we got emissions it failed due to me just clearing the codes the day before and the computer not having enough data. I then pulled the codes and reset them with a scan tool, then drove the car for about 300 miles then got the emissions. It then passed ..We will be geting ours fixed in the next few weeks....

revdenny63
06-18-2010, 11:31 PM
I have it in the shop as we speak, I just cannot stand when the giant umbrella of the "check engine light on" means instant failure no matter what the light is on for. I have had mine come on (before I switched to synthetic) for the oil viscosity I'm not sure that is emissions related but anyway I'm like you just get it fixed and be done.

54inches
06-18-2010, 11:41 PM
It isn't covered. How many people have to tell you? I agree with Mark though if you really wanted to know if it was covered why not call your dealer and ask? You would have had the answer in 5 minutes. If you are in good standing with your dealer (a good customer) you may be able to get it goodwilled. :duh:

I am glad you edited your original response, you seem more adult now.

I am just trying to find out if someone has any actual experience; my intutition TELLs me it is not covered, just looking for actual experience.....

markarock
06-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Oh my you are a tool.

Take a FN pill brother.

Well, there's a tool here alright, but it isn't me.

Two reasons:

First, knowing whether someone "claimed" a fuel level sensor problem under the 100k/5 yr warranty won't tell you anything. I can pretty much guarantee that the answer to THAT question is yes. But, I suspect that isn't what you really want to know.

Second, that is NOT the question that you originally posed. Your question, in post #147 of this thread, asks whether it WILL BE covered, not whether anybody has claimed it under the powertrain warranty. Your original question reads:

My 2007 with 55k miles is doing the gas gauge boogey.

Now I have 3yr 36k mile warrranty, WITH a 5yr, 100k drivetrain warranty.

Will this be covered?

Once again, you NEVER asked if anyone had taken it in and claimed that it was covered under the 100,000/5yr warranty. All you wanted to know was whether it was covered. Do you doubt me? Well your followup post reads:

Thanks for your 2 cents, but I need someone in the know.

I need to know if it IS covered under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

Thanks!

Once again you didn't ask if anyone claimed it under the powertrain warranty. You wanted to know if it "IS covered".

Remember too that just because a dealer or GM covers something under a warranty DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS COVERED by that warranty! All it means is that either the dealer or GM took care of the problem for you in order to maintain customer goodwill, despite what the warranty actually covers. This is an important and meaningful distinction that appears to be lost on you, judging by the questions that you are asking.

Are you convinced yet, tool, that you NEVER asked if anyone had ever CLAIMED a fuel level sensor problem under the powertrain warranty?

Further, why don't you just ask your dealer, as I suggested. And as another poster after me suggested? Or ask GM. Nothing anybody on this forum says will bind a dealer or GM. What are you afraid of? :eek:

Oh, and one more thing. Next time please don't be a tool. :nono: Please ask the question you want the answer to the first time, instead of asking some other question twice, and a different question the third time that the answer to which still won't tell you what you want to know. :x:x:x It will save a lot of unnecessary discussion, and even some friction. Ok? :thumbsup:

Thanks.

rgut0112
06-19-2010, 12:54 AM
I've had my trailblazer for about 3 months now and just came upon this problem as well. Fortunately i purchased the extended warranty:thumbsup:

91RS
06-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I have it in the shop as we speak, I just cannot stand when the giant umbrella of the "check engine light on" means instant failure no matter what the light is on for. I have had mine come on (before I switched to synthetic) for the oil viscosity I'm not sure that is emissions related but anyway I'm like you just get it fixed and be done.

It means instant failure because when the check engine light comes on it is either emissions related or safety related. Like a faulty stop lamp switch can sometimes set the check engine light. 95% of the time though, the check engine light is emissions related.

revdenny63
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM
It means instant failure because when the check engine light comes on it is either emissions related or safety related. Like a faulty stop lamp switch can sometimes set the check engine light. 95% of the time though, the check engine light is emissions related.

You are correct about the check engine light being emissions related ALMOST all of the time, but here in Missouri we now have a new rule reguarding inspections; if the vehicle is 5yrs or newer it is only required to get an emissions test. We are fighting to get what some other states have already to be able to have an option if you fail the code pull that you can opt for a tailpipe reading in which I would pass. Its just the principle of the thing. I will have mine replaced that will solve all my emission problems.

JerryIrons
06-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Here in NY we have the same deal, check engine light = automatic inspectio failure without even looking at what the code is.

Oddly enough, a flashing ABS light will still pass inspection. My old beater F150 has a bad sensor on the passenger side front, but will still pass inspection.

edalan99
06-20-2010, 09:12 AM
NO, mine was not covered and the dealership wants 300 bucks for labor, because i already bought the new sensor off gmpartsdirect. i said no thanks ill find someone else to do the job. 99 bucks a half hour is insane im sure i can get a independent shop to do it for 150 labor or less. One good thing, i just had my wheel hub replaced under the 100k powertrain warranty Friday..

91RS
06-20-2010, 09:14 AM
NO, mine was not covered and the dealership wants 300 bucks for labor, because i already bought the new sensor off gmpartsdirect. i said no thanks ill find someone else to do the job. 99 bucks a half hour is insane im sure i can get a independent shop to do it for 150 labor or less. One good thing, i just had my wheel hub replaced under the 100k powertrain warranty Friday..

Replacing the fuel level sender/fuel pump pays 3 hours so yeah labor is $300...

jballentine
06-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I have a 05 trailblazer and today when I filled up the gauge would not come off of E. I had a 1/4 tank of gas I did not turn the key all the way off kids had the radio on. When I got back in I noticed that that the gauge was on E so I tried to turn all the way off and back on but still on E. After a little while it went back up to a 1/4 tank of gas and not any further than that. Ohh well not a big deal I will just go off of tracking by my trip meter for how much gas I have. I think it is the sending unit but I am not going to pay big bucks at the stealer for it.

wagner100
06-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey guys. I have a 2007 GMC Envoy with 63,000 miles on it.

2 weeks ago I started having issues with the fuel gauge. Finally had the service engine light come on so we pulled the code and it indicated the P0463. I have been through hell and back trying to talk to the dealership. I know they do not cover that after 36k miles BUT I am being told that if the fuel pump/sender is ONE part then the power train warranty would cover it. I just keep getting different answers about the sender being a separte part...if that's the case they have quoted me about $800 to fix it!!!! So which one is it? Is it full pump assembly that would need to be replaced, or just the sender? Please help. I am a girl so ofcourse I have no clue when it comes to cars and I am trying to read about all this and can't find answers. I am hoping the whole thing needs to be replaced so the warranty covers it.

techron did not work for me :(

Thanks!
Andrea

markarock
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, don't know if this helps or not, but you CAN purchase the parts separately.

However, I believe you CAN buy them as an ASSEMBLY as well. So, you CAN call the assembly one part. I would.

So, just go to the dealer and tell them that if it is covered under the powertrain warranty, then you will gladly allow them to repair your truck, but if it isn't, then you'll live with a broken sender and just use the trip odometer to keep track of your fuel level. Dangle the carrot before them. They might be hungry enough to grab it.

But if they don't, then I'd go to another dealer and say the same thing to them.

Then a third, etc. until you hopefully find someone who will cover it for you.

I lived with my broken fuel level sender for about 10,000 miles with no ill effects--other than the hassle of keeping track of my mileage and the service engine light being on continuously.

ch41
06-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey Andrea, as was stated they are two different parts. However they can be purchased as an entire unit or just the sender. I think I would talk to the dealer about trying to get it covered, and if they won't...try asking a different dealer's service department. Each service department reads warranty wording differently. Unfortunately, I really don't think anyone would cover the level sensor / sender under power train though. I have been fighting to get mine repaired also with no luck, and I am finally going to buy the new part tomorrow for $43. I would suggest doing that, buying your own part and then paying a small shop maybe $100 or so to install it. That would still be way better than $800. Good luck!

JerryIrons
06-25-2010, 07:10 AM
The fuel sender is actually a part of the fuel pump, if that makes sense. In order to change the sender you have to drop the fuel tank, pull the fuel pump out, and then take the sender off of it. There is a fair amount of labor involved to do all of that, = more money. For high mileage ( 100,000 ) vehicles it's probably a good idea to just change the fuel pump as well. Your kind of in that gray zone with 63,000 miles. There is no guarantee that a new fuel pump won't last as long as the original still in there!

Just as an FYI, sometimes when fuel pumps are going bad, they make a whining sound, especially when you turn the key to on, but not start - hear the fuel pump run for a second or two? Of course I'm not telling you to tell the dealer that, especially if it is random and doesn't do it all of the time and won't happen in the dealer shop when you bring it in. Or sometimes the top of the fuel pump corrodes and you can smell gasoline from time to time, that would be a safety issue you know. Not sure if this will help but you never know...

wagner100
06-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks Mark, Jerry and ch41 for all the info. I will be at the dealership tomorrow at 7:30am! Hopefully they can make it work in my favor! :thx

Cheers!
Andrea

markarock
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Did we fail to tell you the part about how to dress, how to smile, what kind of perfume to wear, how to bat your eyelashes, etc? :crazy: :duh: :eek:

Doesn't work for us guys, you know, so sometimes we forget to mention it. :) Just remember the old adage about catching more flies with honey... :thumbsup:

wagner100
06-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Too funny! But true. At this point I will try almost anything if it will save me 800 bucks (important word in that sentence being ALMOST). LOL. I have a lot of my male co-workers telling me the same thing! I guess we girls do get away with a lot sometimes. I will definitely have to let you guys know how it turned out!

Thx again for all the help!

Andrea

ch41
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Ok, I have the new part in my hands. I have the vehicle up on ramps and jack stands. My next problem is I am a little intimidated by the enormous size of the fuel tank. I have researched photos of the tank and pump removal on trailvoys, but I think they were all the smaller tank, as none of the photos showed the tank to be this big. My tank has to be almost six feet long and about two feet wide. I'm getting nervous now about doing this job myself. I ran out of daylight today, but want to get back under and survey the situation again in the morning. Has anyone done this repair themselves on the long wheel base with the 25 gallon tank? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!:undecided

ch41
06-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Forget about my last post. I started the repair at 8 this morning, and drove it out on a test drive at 11am. Everything went smooth. I didn't have any trouble with the lock ring at all. I did have slight trouble getting the pump out as it seems the lower portion of the pump is wider than the hole in the tank. I just took my time and I was able to get it out. All my fuel line clips stayed in tact, none broke. I did have slight trouble also with the bigger wireing connector on the pump I had to get a mirror to see how it came appart. Over all, pretty simple, and the gauge works again. Thanks for all the info on this. I couldn't have done it with out you all.

808trailblazer
06-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow!!! This thread is still going! :excited:

revdenny63
06-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow!!! This thread is still going! :excited:

And it appears to have plenty of input (which is good)!

SECA
07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
This problem popped up on the wife's 07 on Wednesday. Dropped it off at the dealership and the guy that received it said that since it had just over 37k on it that it would not be covered under warranty. A few hours later the service manager called to say that "we have some leaway when it's this close and we should be able to take care of it"

I guess i'll find out for sure on Monday :o

Mizzouri
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Replace my sender last weekend and the gauge is now working again!!!

Penswhite06
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Replace my sender last weekend and the gauge is now working again!!!

Do it yourself? I'm trying to talk the hubby into doing mine. Even though I know there is gas in the tank there is just something unnerving about driving around with a fuel light on, freaks me out, LOl. Since mine has 72,000 miles he wants to do the fuel pump too and the dealer here quoted me $500 to do both so if that includes the parts too it might be worth letting them do it.

the roadie
07-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Since the pump list price is $565 and the sensor is $123, I bet the dealer wants $500 just for the labor.

Do it yourselves, and it will cost $250-350 for the pump, $75 for the sensor (aftermarket, such as from Rockauto - don't forget to search here for the 5% off coupon codes), and about $18 for some good beer. $40 extra or so for the following, if you want to make sure your "Please do it for meeeeee, honey" talk is convincing. :thumbsup:

Penswhite06
07-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Ha Ha Roadie, now if I just looked like her it might work. Yeah, if they are quoting me $500 for parts and all I better get down there now.

808trailblazer
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Since the pump list price is $565 and the sensor is $123, I bet the dealer wants $500 just for the labor.

Do it yourselves, and it will cost $250-350 for the pump, $75 for the sensor (aftermarket, such as from Rockauto - don't forget to search here for the 5% off coupon codes), and about $18 for some good beer. $40 extra or so for the following, if you want to make sure your "Please do it for meeeeee, honey" talk is convincing. :thumbsup:
Haha!!! Good one bro!!! :excited::excited::excited:

Mizzouri
07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Do it yourself? I'm trying to talk the hubby into doing mine. Even though I know there is gas in the tank there is just something unnerving about driving around with a fuel light on, freaks me out, LOl. Since mine has 72,000 miles he wants to do the fuel pump too and the dealer here quoted me $500 to do both so if that includes the parts too it might be worth letting them do it.

Yes, I had about 1/4 tank in it though a good floor jack and a 2 x 4 made it a lot easier. Get the tool that removes the horseshoe clips easily instead of using a screwdriver like I did. There are 2 sizes. I ended up breaking one but was no big deal because the Chevy dealership tossed me one for free. I went very slow and it took me about 4 hours to do. After it was done I hopped over to Autozone to clear the code and we have been good since. :woohoo:

toeskis
07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I've got the same fuel level light issue, which I'm resigned to the idea that I'll have to drop the tank and fix, however, it came with an interesting twist. When I lose the fuel guage, I lose the left rear brake light too. This seems that I've gotten a cruel "two for one" from GM. If anybody has come across this one before, I'd gladly appreciate some insight.

azblackone
07-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Hello, Brought a 03 trailblazer and the gas gauge isn't working. Just seeing if there is a fix I can do before paying a hefty few to the dealership.... Thanks for any help!

jagmqt
07-25-2010, 01:10 AM
I just got an 05, my friend has an 05, and my father has an 06...all three have this problem with the gas gauge.

jag

kimbo
07-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Forget about my last post. I started the repair at 8 this morning, and drove it out on a test drive at 11am. Everything went smooth. I didn't have any trouble with the lock ring at all. I did have slight trouble getting the pump out as it seems the lower portion of the pump is wider than the hole in the tank. I just took my time and I was able to get it out. All my fuel line clips stayed in tact, none broke. I did have slight trouble also with the bigger wireing connector on the pump I had to get a mirror to see how it came appart. Over all, pretty simple, and the gauge works again. Thanks for all the info on this. I couldn't have done it with out you all.

Hi, I have the same model/year and problem as you. Went to Autozone and they told me I had to buy the pump and sending unit as one for $ 330.00. Did you replace just the sending unit or the pump and sending unit.
Thanks

Super 88
07-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi, I have the same model/year and problem as you. Went to Autozone and they told me I had to buy the pump and sending unit as one for $ 330.00. Did you replace just the sending unit or the pump and sending unit.
Thanks
You can buy the sending unit separately from Rock Auto - I think it's under 100.00

BUT - the fuel pumps are not known for their longevity. As long as you are doing all that work you might as well replace the pump too. Rock Auto has the complete assembly for about 225 and up depending on brand.

dp28688
07-28-2010, 08:27 AM
how much difference are there between brands worth the $ for a higher $ one?

Penswhite06
07-28-2010, 06:41 PM
how much difference are there between brands worth the $ for a higher $ one?

My husband just changed the one in my 06 this past weekend and I bought it from the dealer for $96 that included tax. However, the same part number would have been like $80 shipped from gm-partsdirect.com and rockauto but I didn't have time to wait for shipping. The dealer wanted $300 to replace it (including the part).

bryzx2
07-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I live in the Milwaukee, WI area and just had a dealership quote $280 for labor and $498.92 for the pump and sender unit. Firestone quoted very close to that. Any reccommendations on where to get a quality unit for less?

chriss2633
07-29-2010, 03:27 PM
i just had the same problem with my 06 trailblazer and i was the fuel level sender that was bad so i had it changed and now it works fine

308sako
08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
When you get it fixed, let me know what they replaced, just in case there is something more I should be ordering before I start this project.

Thanks.

Doubt that the metal flap is the cause. Doubt that it could cause the sending unit assembly to malfunction that way. Probably just a coincidence. Probably, but...would be interesting to know the mode of failure if it was the cause in your case. My flap is still in place and it is malfunctioning.

I don't know but this flap and this described problem is exactly what has transpired today to my 2005 TB LS IL6. After reading the above post i walked out to the TB and discovered the missing flap. Now, would yoy consider fishing expedition with a string and a strong magnet?

91RS
08-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't know but this flap and this described problem is exactly what has transpired today to my 2005 TB LS IL6. After reading the above post i walked out to the TB and discovered the missing flap. Now, would yoy consider fishing expedition with a string and a strong magnet?

That flap cannot get into the tank, there is a rollover valve it won't get past.

308sako
08-18-2010, 08:13 PM
That flap cannot get into the tank, there is a rollover valve it won't get past.

That's great news, one less thing to be concerned with. Do you think it is worth trying to fish out with a magnet?

Never mind the bend in the filler pipe prevents my part retreaver...

Great forum and the knowledge is awesome, thanks guys.

91RS
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
That's great news, one less thing to be concerned with. Do you think it is worth trying to fish out with a magnet?

If you aren't having problems filling it up, I wouldn't even worry about it. It probably won't fit through the hole anyway.

SECA
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
This problem popped up on the wife's 07 on Wednesday. Dropped it off at the dealership and the guy that received it said that since it had just over 37k on it that it would not be covered under warranty. A few hours later the service manager called to say that "we have some leaway when it's this close and we should be able to take care of it"

I guess i'll find out for sure on Monday :o

Just realized I had not responded to this. The dealership (Sweeney) took care of everything.

54inches
09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Just realized I had not responded to this. The dealership (Sweeney) took care of everything.

Sooooo, what did they do?

91RS
09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Sooooo, what did they do?

Uhh... maybe replace the fuel level sender?

54inches
09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Uhh... maybe replace the fuel level sender?

Thanks Smart a55. I will wait on SECA.

You never know, they may have replaced the gauge and dumped a bottle of Techron in the tank.

I wasn't trying to be a Smarta55, I genuinely want to know, seeing that we both have a 2007.

808trailblazer
09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Still going!!! haha...:crackup::excited::thx:woohoo:

wbriggs19061
09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
i bought my 03 tb with like 80k miles on it in 07 and sold it 3 weeks ago with 160k+ miles with no fuel pump or gauge problems.. guess i was lucky or someone replaced it before i bought it from dealership.

now im trading my airbagged s10 for a 05 tb (easier to sell tb then s10) with 114k miles and the gauge is dead, looks like ill be dropping the gas tank right away.

all i have to do is get the complete fuel pump assembly right? thatll fix the problem?

markarock
09-13-2010, 07:09 AM
That'll fix the problem if that's the cause. Most likely it is the cause, but check your codes to know for sure.

Also, replacing the fuel pump makes the job/parts far more expensive. All you really need to do is replace the fuel level sensor. Some recommend replacing the fuel pump "while you are at it" in order to avoid having to drop the tank another time IF the pump itself goes bad, but they tend to go bad far less than the fuel level sensors. Far less. As you saw, they can go 160k without failing. But they have failed sooner as well.

You get to decide. What's your tolerance for risk?

Just my :m2:.

wbriggs19061
09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
yea i looked up the price between the whole assembly and just the fuel level arm thing.. i havent decided yet lol.. im leaning towards the level arm thing. cause im just gonna sell this trailblazer too hopefully have it for sale by friday lol.

Mikejarvis
09-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I've got almost 100k on my factory fuel pump and level sender. Out of all the trucks sold, there are bound to be a few premature failures... That is just the nature of electronic devices. I had one TV last 10 years and then the next one lasted 6 months... **** happens.

Mine has failed twice, once at 25k and again at 62k. I just said screw it. Every time I need gas I fill up and reset the trip meter. I'll get about 300mi in the city per tank so I fill up again at about 290. About 360 if all highway but will fill at about 320. Been on fumes a few times having to put in right at 22gal at fillup! Whew! Close!

Murray_Envoy
10-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I have the same problem with the fuel level gauge. It just started and found tons of same complaints on web.

NHTSA has opened an investigation. Be sure to file a report at nhtsa.com or by phone at: 1-888-327-4236.

Action #: DP10001

THE PETITIONER ALLEGES THAT THE FUEL TANK LEVEL SENSOR IS DEFECTIVE AND COULD RESULT IN A SUBJECT VEHICLE RUNNING OUT OF FUEL, STALL, AND BEING REAR ENDED BY ANOTHER VEHICLE. ODI WILL EVALUATE THE PETITION FOR A GRANT OR DENY DECISION.

BOBD1950
10-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I have the same problem with the fuel level gauge. It just started and found tons of same complaints on web.

NHTSA has opened an investigation. Be sure to file a report at nhtsa.com or by phone at: 1-888-327-4236.

Action #: DP10001

THE PETITIONER ALLEGES THAT THE FUEL TANK LEVEL SENSOR IS DEFECTIVE AND COULD RESULT IN A SUBJECT VEHICLE RUNNING OUT OF FUEL, STALL, AND BEING REAR ENDED BY ANOTHER VEHICLE. ODI WILL EVALUATE THE PETITION FOR A GRANT OR DENY DECISION.

Here On the site..lets put the pressure on.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=DP10001&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2010/DP/INOA-DP10001-38200.pdf

BOBD1950
10-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Every one please FILE COMPLAINT HERE;
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

MORE THE BETTER, The "new " :weird:GM MUST rectify this asap. I had run out of fuel @ 1/2 tank..and after refuel took an hour to get 2 full.

Imagine this @ 70mph on I-95!!

Super 88
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Every one please FILE COMPLAINT HERE;
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

MORE THE BETTER, The "new " :weird:GM MUST rectify this asap. I had run out of fuel @ 1/2 tank..and after refuel took an hour to get 2 full.

Imagine this @ 70mph on I-95!!

Filed complaint, but call me skeptical that it will do any good! :(

Mikejarvis
10-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Go to www.safercar.gov to file a complaint.

Mikejarvis
10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Here On the site..lets put the pressure on.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=DP10001&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2010/DP/INOA-DP10001-38200.pdf

Not a very friendly site. How do I add my name and experience to the list?

jagmqt
10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I filed a complaint, so did two friends.

I called my complaint in. The agent told me that these complaints take a minimum of 4 months, but can go over two years...the original complaint was filed in late 2009, so we're about a year into this one.

If there is no recall issued after this investigation, I may look into other legal actions...I'm researching the laws in my state to see what can be done.

BOBD1950
10-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Not a very friendly site. How do I add my name and experience to the list?

BOBD1950
10-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Filed complaint, but call me skeptical that it will do any good! :(

Better than feeling helpless..even for this issue.

chevytruckluvr
10-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Have been using the trip odometer to determine when to fill up on my 06 EXT for well over a year. Did a ton of research, primarily on Trailvoy site. With the help of my two teenage boys, we dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit. Everything works great now. Just passed emissions test.

Here are a few things we learned:

1: It's called a Fuel Level Sensor. You can buy it new off of ebay for about $40.

2: Make sure the tank is as empty as possible. Fuel is heavy and it sloshes around making the tank fall off the jack if not controlled.

3: The "CLIPS". Do not use tools such as a screwdriver to remove clips !! They will break and it is unnecessary. They just need a squeeze with your fingers and the fuel line should pull off easily. Put some time into figuring this out instead of breaking them with a screwdriver and then calling all over looking for replacements.

All in all it took just a few hours and only cost $40 - $50 bucks. Not bad !!

Thanks for the advice Trailvoy members.

Thanks to you all, I keep my two Trailblazers running well for a fraction of what it would cost. My 06 has 70,000 miles and my 02 has 210,000. Need at least 2 more years out of my 02.

Tommyd327
10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm doing this on a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL 5.3V8. So Order the Fuel Level Sensor for your vehicle off ebay for about $40 and just replace it yourself. The dealership wanted $800.00-$1,000.00 to replace the whole fuel pump and sending unit. It only takes 3-4hrs and a couple skinned knuckles to do this yourself. I didn't read chevytruckluvrs writeup so I broke a couple of the clips. Remove the Fuel pump relay. Put the truck up on some ramps (I put the rear tires up so I could work from the back. Also, it made it easier to drop the spare tire so it's not in your way. Unhook all the hoses and connections and straps. Drop the tank. Pull the pump assembly out of the tank (I used a 6" socket ext and a hammer to get the top ring off). Remove the Fuel level sensor, it's just one little quick connection at the top and then actual sensor just slides right down the pump assembly. Now if you buy the really cheap fuel level sensor you will have to use your own float from the old sensor but who cares those aren't electrical and always in good shape. It just clips right in the new sensor. Reinstall the pump assembly back in the tank. Put the tank back under the truck connect all hoses and connections. Put strapps back in place and your done. This is not that bad of a project as long as the tank isn't full. It took me 3 hrs and I wasn't even using air tools just hand cranking the old ratchet (I suggest using your air tools but someone is borrowing my compressor.) So your list of tools required looks something like this: Oil Changing Ramps, Socket set (15mm is all you really need with some extensions), flathead screw driver, long extension and hammer to remove the fuel pump top ring, some light to see what you're doing, maybe a floor jack if there is alot of fuel in the tank. That's about it. I'll try to put some pics with this.

Mike1962
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I have the same issue with my 06 Envoy. It has about 72K on it and it has been going on for over one month now. I have to fix it because my wife primarily drives the vehicle and I dont want her running out of gas. I called my local AutoZone and they can only sell me the entire fuel pump for $336! Does anyone have the GM part # I need to order? PLease post if you do. Thanks!

staten42
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I've read through most of this thread, and thought I had the same problem with the Fuel level sensor. The only problem is that tonight I had my truck parked in a neigbor's driveway, backwards, and when I went to start it, it wouldn't start. My neighbor's driveway has a bit of an incline, and I had maybe an 1/8 of a tank of gas(I know, I know, I'm not supposed to let it run below 1/4!). I thought that maybe the gas had run away from the fuel pump, and that getting the vehicle back on a level surface would help, but no such luck. I was able to roll the truck back to my house, and still can't get it started.
The dealership told me a couple of weeks ago that I needed a new fuel level sensor, but wanted $459 to fix it. The service tech even told me that it was too bad that the fuel pump wasn't bad, because that's covered under warranty, and they could just fix both of them then, for free!
I'm wondering now if the fuel pump isn't bad. The truck just cranks and cranks, but won't fire when I try to start it.

Can anyone help??

P.S. I have a 2007 Saab 9-7x, with the 5.3

Thanks

91RS
10-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Only way to tell would be to put some gas in it and see if it starts.

staten42
10-20-2010, 10:02 AM
it can't be a lack of gas that's causing the issue. My gas light isn't on or anything. There is probably at least 2 gallons in the tank right now. It's never not started like this before.

Mikejarvis
10-20-2010, 02:16 PM
it can't be a lack of gas that's causing the issue. My gas light isn't on or anything. There is probably at least 2 gallons in the tank right now. It's never not started like this before.

If you have about two gallons, your light should be on. No check engine light? Any indication the pump is running?

scoutmech
10-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I've read through most of this thread, and thought I had the same problem with the Fuel level sensor. The only problem is that tonight I had my truck parked in a neigbor's driveway, backwards, and when I went to start it, it wouldn't start. My neighbor's driveway has a bit of an incline, and I had maybe an 1/8 of a tank of gas(I know, I know, I'm not supposed to let it run below 1/4!). I thought that maybe the gas had run away from the fuel pump, and that getting the vehicle back on a level surface would help, but no such luck. I was able to roll the truck back to my house, and still can't get it started.
The dealership told me a couple of weeks ago that I needed a new fuel level sensor, but wanted $459 to fix it. The service tech even told me that it was too bad that the fuel pump wasn't bad, because that's covered under warranty, and they could just fix both of them then, for free!
I'm wondering now if the fuel pump isn't bad. The truck just cranks and cranks, but won't fire when I try to start it.

Can anyone help??

P.S. I have a 2007 Saab 9-7x, with the 5.3

Thanks

My wife had the same problem. Thought it was gas because she likes to test the vapor system on any vehicle. It would crank but not start, sometimes start and run for about 4-5 seconds then die. Turns out it was the ignition switch under the column. It was about a $35.00 part. I've never had an iginition switch fail on me on any of my GM vehicles, but this TB is starting to be a pain in the ass. Seems like every week it's something new. Just too make sure it's not the fuel pump turn the iginition on and listen for the faint whine coming from underneath. If you hear it, then doubtful it's the pump.

96 1500 W/T 332,000 miles
72 SWB C-10 Still in pieces
06 Trailbalzer 52,000 miles
01 S-10 Blazer 135,000 miles

palafoja
10-28-2010, 01:31 PM
:m2:they never put a recall or almost never put a recall on a failure that does not represent a safety hazard to the vehicle ocupants or anyboby around it. recalls only go for(example) brake failure, air bags, maybe a sliding door opens on its own(on minivans or something like that) transmission acting up and doing something that may represent a real danger........oh and TOYOTAS too.

but when there is something that only represent getting money out of us sooner or later they only post a TSB and thats only for the technicians to fix the vehicle faster and not spend a lot of time:m2:

54inches
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
ACDELCO Part # SK1158
{#19178477, 88966954} replaces 88966954

tcurlee
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Wow,, I never knew I was in such good company. I have 120,000 mi on my '05 Envoy I6. The thermostat is about the only thing I've had it in the dealer for. Sounds like I've been lucky. I've been reading the post but there's just so many it's confusing. Sounds like it's my sending unit and looks like it's not an impossible job to do myself if I can round up a little help. With that many miles, I wonder if I should just go ahead and change the fuel pump as well. Then it's where do I get the parts from ??
And when doing the job, how far does the tank come down before it needs to be disconnected from fuel lines or does that have to be done first? Is it better to raise the rear or the front for best access? Anyone who's done this job already - I'd appreciate some good advice and instruction.

54inches
11-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Well, it all depends on what yours is doing or not doing; symptoms.

If it is just the gauge then it is the fuel level sending unit; part number is above.

From your post, I would have someone that knew what they are doing to complete the job. Have you ever changed a fuel pump on any car that was in the tank?

Not trying to be rude, but don't want to see you get hurt or have the vehicle layed up for a week waiting on parts.

To answer your question, I would run the rear tires up on a ramp to have the rear end up, but I would have to double check to confirm.

Once you get the tank disconnected, supported first by jacks, then you will see how far you can lower it. It's fairly visual.

I have not done a TB yet, but I have seen it done in pictures and I have done several chevy trucks, several Camaros and a host of other vehicles.

For me it is VERY simple as I have the experience, but if you are not careful, you can F something up.

Parts can be found, like it says above on ebay, but Rockauto.com, and your local dealership and maybe a parts store will have the part, depending on what is wrong.

Good Luck.

wbriggs19061
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
new fuel pump assembly and gauge floater. still gas gauge not working and now the oil pressure gauge is pointing straight down..

rogarr
11-11-2010, 12:32 AM
So I am ready to try to fix this myself and since we're at 106k on our '06 Trailblazer, I might as well do the fuel pump at the same time. On rockauto, I found an ACDelco fuel pump part # MU1655. Does anyone know if that includes the sending unit, or does that need to be purchased in addition to this pump?

91RS
11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Sending unit does not come with the pump.

Super 88
11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Sending unit does not come with the pump.
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen anyone that replaced their fuel pump say they had to buy the sending unit separately, and also this photo seems to indicate that the sending unit is included.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1311549

91RS
11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Positive. That picture is not of the actual pump for these trucks. There may be some aftermarket pump that comes together, I don't know about those though.

rogarr
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Looking at the rockauto site, it appears they carry two ACDelco fuel pumps for my TB. One with the fuel level sensor and one without.

Super 88
11-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Positive. That picture is not of the actual pump for these trucks. There may be some aftermarket pump that comes together, I don't know about those though.
Rbarrios did a write up including photos. He bought an AC Delco pump (which is made by Bosch) He said in his description: "I bought a new AC Delco Pump with the level sender . . . "
There are photos of the two pumps side by side and it sure appears the new pump had the level sensor included.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=971207&postcount=96

Edit: It might be best before anyone orders to call the company and ask them (unless the item description specifically states that it does.)

91RS
11-12-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm thinking the GM and AC/Delco pumps must be different then, because the GM pumps don't come with senders for the most part. I haven't done a Trailblazer that came together. Looking at Rock Auto, the Bosch pump doesn't come with a sender either.

djkenace
12-02-2010, 09:54 PM
got the same problem fill gas today on a half tank and now it reads empty with the indicator light on and will not go away.. i have 38k miles on my Enovy will look into getting the 19178477 - sending unit

djkenace
12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
after driving about 50 miles now the problem corrected itself and the fuel gauge is displaying the right amount of gas, should i be concerned and replace it or wait?

Mikejarvis
12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
after driving about 50 miles now the problem corrected itself and the fuel gauge is displaying the right amount of gas, should i be concerned and replace it or wait?

Oh just wait. If it started, it will get progressively worse until it fails completely. It may take a few weeks but trust me, it will fail.:bonk:

dp28688
12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
would the pressure test kinda gauge the condition of fuel pump? my sending unit is gone and im deciding weather to just do the whole assy im at 90k. also i started a thread asking which brand pumps people are getting when they do replace the whole assy. dont wanna clog up this one. if you havent seen it its here http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=81449

djkenace
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
yep filled gas today and its back to empty when its full and light indicator is on...looks like eventually I will have to replace it and it's no longer under warranty

rcam81
12-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Mine failed when we were on vacation back in october. I was at 48000 miles. I talked to the service manager at my selling dealership about it and he told me that if I would pay the first $100.00 that he would pick up the rest. It had to be kept overnight and he gave me a loaner car too.

thg
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi all, I am new to this site and will be useing it alot. My wifes 05 TB just turned 100,000 and has the gas gauge problem, tsat bad, speedo is broken guess I will here alot! Thanks for all the good info...

sLAsh
12-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the site. you can find all the info you need to fix these things by searching the site. My wifes '05 has had the same problems. I replaced the tstat without removing the alternator using the info I got from trailvoy. My projects for the Christmas break are replacing the stepper motors to fix my temp gauge and replacing the fuel level sensor.

thg
12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Welcome neighor! :tiphat

Dropped mine off at the shop, they are gonna keep it until Tuesday cuz they don't have the parts. :sadcry: (never mind I made the appointment a week ago :hopeless) Got a Dodge Charger to scoot around in, in the meantime. Noticed I could see the gas gauge falling indicating bad mileage. Hooked up my Scangauge to it, and it's getting a whopping 14mpgs!! :confused:

What all are you getting fixed? How much and where are you getting it done? I just did front breaks on the TB today and picked up the Tsat to do some time soon. I have stepper motors on the way also for the speedo. I think I should have traded it in 6 months ago when all was fine.

91RS
12-12-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm all for taking proper care of a vehicle, but I've NEVER heard of an extended warranty company declining repairs if services (other than oil changes) weren't done. What do they recommend as a 60k service anyway?

91RS
12-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Current mileage is 59K and some change. The big example he was using was if there was a problem with the transmission (since we all know how expensive those can be to fix) But here's what the service sheet had to say.

Even with the transmission they cannot deny your claim because GM says a transmission service is only needed at 100k. I don't agree with this, however, I recommend 50k at a max and the best way to do it is to change the filter and do a fluid exchange.

That list sounds like an old list when cars required a good bit of maintanence every 30k miles. Most of those checks should be performed with an oil change for free at a good facility (not Jiffy Lube, they'll inspect, sell, but probably won't do). Spark plugs do not need to be changed until 100k. Coolant is due for you, but only becuase you have 5 years on it. I would just recommend getting the transmission done, coolant changed, and clean the throttle body. Do the oil change and tire rotate/balance if needed.