Jerking & chirping when put in drive or reverse [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Jerking & chirping when put in drive or reverse

js7621
05-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I asked this question on another forum but nobody really knew the answer. I've had it in for warranty work and they checked it out and had no answers either. When I put my 2004 4 wheel drive TB in drive or reverse after it's been sitting over night, it jerks forward or reverse (depending on if I put it in drive or reverse). The mechanic that checked it out when I took it in said it was idling fine at startup, so it wasn't that it was idling too high. If I start it up and sit there for a while it doesn't do it, but I just don't think I should have to sit there after starting it up! Just doesn't seem right. It jerks so bad that the tires will squeal!!

02EnvoySLE Guy
05-31-2005, 01:59 AM
what is the 4WD selector set in? Sounds almost like what is supposed to happen when you shift to 4-LO and 1st gear. I would check the fluid in the transmission, differentials, and transfer case. See if there's anything low or if the fluids are particularly dirty. That may be your culprit. Also make sure the truck is actually in the setting you intend it to be (usually 2HI I'm betting). :m2:

js7621
05-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Charlie. The Service Engine light is on now for some reason :cry: , so when I take it in I'll have them check those fluids. I think they were thinking it was idling high and that's why it was jerking, so maybe they didn't check into other causes.

DetroitTB
06-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I have found that after not running for a while and on its first start up the rpms would be up to about 1500 and that is when I get a jerking motion.
I now let the engine sit for a few minutes and let the rpms drop back down to normal and there is no jerking motion

02EnvoySLE Guy
06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I have found that after not running for a while and on its first start up the rpms would be up to about 1500 and that is when I get a jerking motion.
I now let the engine sit for a few minutes and let the rpms drop back down to normal and there is no jerking motion

I've noticed the only real "jerking" (really more like the engine just being sluggish) is when the fan clutch is activated just after a cold start. That's a normal condition though; this doesn't sound like that though. :m2:

thecarbonman
06-06-2005, 12:55 AM
I asked this question on another forum but nobody really knew the answer. I've had it in for warranty work and they checked it out and had no answers either. When I put my 2004 4 wheel drive TB in drive or reverse after it's been sitting over night, it jerks forward or reverse (depending on if I put it in drive or reverse). The mechanic that checked it out when I took it in said it was idling fine at startup, so it wasn't that it was idling too high. If I start it up and sit there for a while it doesn't do it, but I just don't think I should have to sit there after starting it up! Just doesn't seem right. It jerks so bad that the tires will squeal!!

You need to remember that with all new cars and trucks these days it takes about 2 minutes for the computer to check off all codes. I always set after starting my wife's TB for a couple of minutes before driving off, I'm use to driving my 86 F250, I start it a go. I have had to retrain myself. My wife is much better than I about doing it. I believe alot of problems I read on this and other sites wouldn't happen if the computer was allowed to run all checks as it is designed to do. If you think I"m full of it, go talk with the computer guy or gal at your local Chevy dealer, or ask anyone who knows anything about computers, the computer you are using at home runs a system check everytime you turn it on, try over riding the system check and see what happens.

TBlazeruss44
06-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Great post there, carbonman....I tend to agree with you on it in all aspects....If I get antsy and drive off immediately after ignition, my TB jumps forward suddenly as well, so I've become patient and give her a minute or two to do her thing, and I smoothly pull away....Once again, great insight! :cool:

jwh463
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Some owners of a 2002-05 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT 2WD, or GMC Envoy XL 2WD, or 2003-05 Chevrolet SSR may comment on a ping, pop or click noise from underneath the rear of the vehicle. This concern usually occurs when shifting into Reverse, or out of Reverse into Drive.

On TrailBlazers and Envoys equipped with a 3.42 axle ratio (RPO GU6), or a 3.73 axle ratio (RPO GT4), this condition can be corrected by replacing the original swaged aluminum propshaft with a straight tube propshaft from the GMC Envoy XUV.
- p/n 15113111 for vehicles equipped with the 4.2L L6 (RPO LL8)
- p/n 15113110 for vehicles equipped with the 5.3L V8 (RPO LM4).

The propshafts mentioned above CANNOT be used in TrailBlazers and Envoys with the 4.10 axle ratio (RPO GT5). If this concern appears on a vehicle with the 4.10 ratio, use p/n 15163667, which is the same as the original propshaft.

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/cnt_mo/TLcme.html

AndromedaSS
08-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Hey.. mine does the same thing if i dont let it warm up.. Ive always let my vehicles warm up in the mornings (or whenever theyve been sitting for awhile..) and it doesnt happen then..

If for whatever reasons Im just going to move my truck for something, and i dont let it warm up, it'll jerk pretty hard..

I suggest you just let the RPMs drop when you first start it up.. it takes 20-30-40 seconds MAYYYYYBE for the RPMs to drop down a bit.. no big deal.. and its better for your engine anyways.. :)

EDIT:
I just went back and read the other posts.. looks like theyre all pretty much along the same lines..
IE Let your engine warm up on a cold start.. :D

envoy62
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
My Envoy 2 WD I6 has never done this jerking forward not even when sometimes the RPM when you start up is over 1000 rpm.

Also you there;s no need to let the engine run for a minute or two before driving off, for the engine its even better if you drive it with moderate load until warm.

It's not necessary to wait, "to read all codes", the pcm runs through its program in a couple ms, that means every sensor is read many times in only a couple seconds. Your injection and ignition timing is updated and corrected for operating condition at the same frequency.

The jerking should not be caused by the start and drive off immediatly fact.

Thos sounds more like a transmission issue, when you let it sit for a while the oil heats up in the transmssion and maybe thats making the difference.

Let us know what trouble code the dealer has found

Cheers

tblazed
08-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Likewise here with my 2WD '02 TB...It always has a smooth engagement into gear regardless whether it's cold and been sitting overnight, or hot. Never a hard or harsh shift into D or R. After I start it, I will let the idle start coming down from it's usual 1300 or so fast idle, maybe 15-20 seconds or so, still may be around 800-1000RPM, put it in gear and go.

If yours is so harsh it chirps the tires I would suspect something's wrong in the transmission.