Smashed rear window [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Smashed rear window

ReyRock
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey guys- Can anyone direct me where to locate a reasonably priced rear window w privacy glass and defroster wires for my 02' Brav?

To keep it simple, a huge branch came crashing down (public street) on my GM last night, and took out the entire back window. Left me with some scuffs and a bill of anywhere from $900 to $1300 bucks JUST for the replacement window! I lost my f*ck^ng mind. My heart rate shot up when I received that first quote.

Now I'm left with the choice of Jersey a junkyard at 500 bucks telling me, "Yah, installing it shouldn't be a problem" or eating the cost at almost a G. Let me clarify that my deductible is $1000 and you cannot insure auto glass in NJ. Did I mention that Jersey is a garbage state? Anyhow...suggestions or even comments appreciated. Thanks gang! :thx

Envoyguy05
02-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Was the branch from a tree that was in someones yard? If so you can file against their homeowners insurance. Sorry about your rear window.:grouphug:

the roadie
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I paid about $225 for a windshield replacement, but rear glass doesn't seem to have aftermarket competition as much. I see one on Ebay for $350 with $100 shipping. Guess the junkyards know what their competition's price is going to be and aren't going to cough up a bargain.

ssummers
03-25-2009, 02:52 AM
I've run into the same problem with my 2002 Envoy. I'm from Kansas and yesterday in a wind storm my back window was busted out. The first two quotes I received were local shops, one for 1200$ and the other for 1375$. The third company I called, Safelite I believe said they could go as low as 750$, which is still alot for a window I think but it'll have to do. I've had no luck with Salvage yards having anything.

Irishboy02
03-25-2009, 02:56 AM
im not in the same boat but my defogger wire thingy on my drivers side somehow decided to break off...nothing ever hit it it just broke on one of the cold nights out here at school (PA) idkk wat to do for it would i need a whole new glass :undecided

andd yeaa its not called dirrty jurz for nun :hahano:

WOOLUF1952
03-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Go to an auto parts store. Get a kit for re-gluing a mirror to glue the contact back on the glass. Then buy a kit for fixing the heater grid. You should be able to fix it for under $50. :m2:

ReyRock
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey guys- I thank you all for the posts! I located a used one through a local glass shop. The guy installed it for $500, cash. The catch? Its from a newer TrailVoy. The plastic lip, at the top, hangs over the sides. But hey, it works. No leaks, defoggers functions perfect and the third break light, looks brand new. The old one looked like it was starting to melt because it was all faded and scuffed. I'll post some photos this weekend. As one of my buds put it. "hey, you paid 500 bucks for a custom job."
In the meantime, below is a photo of the OG window blown out. Cheers!