Jack and Jack Stand Points [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Jack and Jack Stand Points

nateb21
03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Ok so this may seem like a real newb question but I want to be sure on this one. I changed my oil this weekend for the first time with my new jack and jack stands. I jacked it up by using a piece of the frame and then used the jack stand on either side still on the frame. The only problem I had was that it seemed like they were really close together and made it hard to fit my body in to get the oil filter. I am getting ready to change the differential fluid (front and rear) and I want to live through it. I did lift the rear up to see if I could even open the differential fill plug and lifted it with the differential housing and used the saddles for the shocks for the jack stands. Are there any better places that I should look for, like I said I enjoy living! Thanks

RayVoy
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
My preference is not frame stands. Personally, I don't get under a vehicle unless there is something under the wheels.
Frame stands are fine if working on a corner and the wheel is off. Usually for this type of repair, you are sitting by the truck, not under it. And yep, I know there are times when you need to remove a wheel and still be under the truck, but I will use a frame stand only on that corner.
When I change the oil, the wheels go up on wheel stands. :m2:

sctb
03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
You really don't even need stands for the diffs. Rear, drop and remove the spare tire. Gives lots more room to work under there. Front, remove the skid plate and go in beside the driver's front tire. Everything is nice and visible. It is easier to have the front up in the air a bit, I had mine on ramps when I changed my front diff fluid.

rbarrios
03-16-2009, 07:33 PM
This weekend I removed my tires, brakes and rotors- had them turned- and put new pads on. (the ones I took off only had 14,000 miles on them).
Anyways... in the pic you can see the big jack I used to lift up the vehicle- and the 2 stands on each side I placed.
The rear wheels were blocked too and parking brake set.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarrios2/rotorjack.JPG

rbarrios
03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
You really don't even need stands for the diffs. Rear, drop and remove the spare tire. Gives lots more room to work under there. Front, remove the skid plate and go in beside the driver's front tire. Everything is nice and visible. It is easier to have the front up in the air a bit, I had mine on ramps when I changed my front diff fluid.

YEs with the spare removed-- plenty of room to work with.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarrios2/diff2.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarrios2/diff9.JPG

Robert1101
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
If you put a jack or stand under the frame in the front you will put the CV joint boots in a strained position. If changing the oil or something other than taking a wheel off it is on ramps. You can put a jack under the front suspension and then put a jack stand under the frame just touching for a safety point, BUT, only on one wheel, all other wheels must be on the ground for safety and do not get under the vehicle.

WOOLUF1952
03-17-2009, 03:13 AM
My vote is also for the ramps over the jack stands. :m2:

Devilz311
03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Another +1 for the ramps. Not only is it safer, it's so much quicker and easier to use a set of ramps. :m2:

markarock
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I prefer the ramps too.

Another tip, if you have the 4x4. Just put it in 4hi or 4lo before you pull ahead and up onto the ramps. This does two things.

First, it exercises the 4wd, albeit briefly.

Second, and more important, it keeps the truck from pushing the ramps instead of driving up on them.

It works for me.

lynch55
03-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree on ramps versus stands, and yes it does put front axles in strain

rbarrios
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
ramps for me when I need to do some work under the TB...
But im skinny enough I dont need to ramp it up when changing the oil. I just slide right under with all 4 wheels on the ground....

Robert1101
03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
ramps for me when I need to do some work under the TB...
But im skinny enough I dont need to ramp it up when changing the oil. I just slide right under with all 4 wheels on the ground....

I could roll under mine, but it would take a 8" lift kit!!!!:cry:

sctb
03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
I could roll under mine, but it would take a 8" lift kit!!!!:cry:

:iagree: for the most part! I can fit under there, but it is TIGHT!

Back to the original question...the "official" jack spots are lower control arms, front & rear frame, rear axle, and rear differential. Just be sure the jack does not contact the panels, floor pan, or anything else important under there. Jack stands can go under the frame, the front suspension crossmember, or the rear axle.

That being said, I'm still not real comfortable going way up in the air with the truck. No more than a little over tire changing height for me!!

Robert1101
03-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I have used the spring shackels and the rear axles near the springs but I have never felt good about using the pumpkin as a lift point. A lot of guys will but I have reservations about using that point.

justblazin
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I am very careful when I go under my truck.. I usually will use a jack stand and leave the jack as a backup sometime I double up the stands to be safe.. But I can change my oil without jacking up the truck at all. It is tight, but it can be done... It does help my driveway is angled up a bit.

RYTB
03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Depending on the type of lift you are using no there's one spot. I have a o5 tb and like to use the outside frame near the tire there hasn/t been ane bowing or cracking sorr:)y no pics to help but it is the spot right next to the tire either on the frame post or you could use the shock post from underneath or the drive axle where it meets and is the strong. hope it helps someest