Differential drain plug [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Differential drain plug

Lov2xlr8
03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
I cant seem to find out via old threads if an 2006 standard differential has a drain plug or if I would have to pop the diff. cover off to change the fluid. Also I checked my RPO codes and I dont see G80 on there, so I know my rear doesnt have a locker, but someone said the fronts are all lockers? just curious because if so I hope the amsoil gear oil I bought can still be used on both when I change them next weekend. Thanks to anyone who can advise me better on this.

Double D
03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Amsoil is good for both front and rear. The front differential is not a locker, and to drain the rear differential you have to drop the spare(recommended), remove the diff cover, drain, replace cover, using old gasket is fine, no sealant, then on the right side, underneath the fin is the fill hole. You will need a decent pump. Pep boys sells one that screws onto the Amsoil bottles. The front differential has both a drain and fill plug.

jackedupcanyon
03-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Why would a drain plug or pulling the cover effect the fluid you use? You should still be fine with the AMSoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

Check out the specific vehicle look-up to verify:
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1697697&page=appguide

Lov2xlr8
03-29-2009, 11:37 PM
well what I mean is the absence of a drain plug isnt an issue to the fluid choice, I thought it being a locker or not might be an issue. I was just curious if I was gonna get off easy with a drain plug or have a messy drain by poppin the cover and its more work. Damn you GM for going from having drains to getting rid of them, damn you all.

jackedupcanyon
03-29-2009, 11:40 PM
I still like to pull the cover to visually inspect, clean the magnet off and the goop that sometimes forms on the bottom.

glfredrick
03-30-2009, 08:52 AM
well what I mean is the absence of a drain plug isnt an issue to the fluid choice, I thought it being a locker or not might be an issue. I was just curious if I was gonna get off easy with a drain plug or have a messy drain by poppin the cover and its more work. Damn you GM for going from having drains to getting rid of them, damn you all.

It is VERY rare for any vehicle to have drain plugs on the rear differential. Any that you do see are typically aftermarket covers, so don't go dissing Chevy for not having one. They've never had one on the rear covers.

Just pop the cover. That's good, as explained above. Let's you see what is going on in there, and make sure that all is in order.

03-30-2009, 09:05 AM
It is VERY rare for any vehicle to have drain plugs on the rear differential. Any that you do see are typically aftermarket covers, so don't go dissing Chevy for not having one. They've never had one on the rear covers.

I just did mine the other day, and guess what?..........there was a drain plug on the bottom of the factory tb rear diff, and the plug itself was a magnet so the schmutz that settles on the magnet came out with the plug. why they would abandon that setup is beyond me

the roadie
03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
why they would abandon that setup is beyond meIt's no mystery. They de-content items all the time to save a buck. After 2002, trailvoys lost their under-hood lights also.

Lov2xlr8
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Just pop the cover. That's good, as explained above. Let's you see what is going on in there, and make sure that all is in order.

watch out there "the roadie", dont disrespect chevy or else glfredrick will give you s h i t about it. Love everything about it and dont ever complain. (sarcasm).

I wasnt dissing Chevy, I just think its crap that they would go from having drain plugs on older models and then delete them for whatever reason.

gmctodd
04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Off topic a little, but our 06 Envoy(lease) had an access panel in the plastic skid plate to change the oil. The new 08 does not! Need to drop the skid plate to change oil now. Also the new one did not have the Envoy emblems on the doors and the inside door locks are now black plastic instead of chrome! They are pinching pennies everywhere they can theses days inorder to survive.

the roadie
04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
It's called "decontenting" and it's been going on forever. In 2002, the vehicles had glove box and underhood lights. Not anymore......

sctb
04-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Off topic a little, but our 06 Envoy(lease) had an access panel in the plastic skid plate to change the oil. The new 08 does not! Need to drop the skid plate to change oil now. Also the new one did not have the Envoy emblems on the doors and the inside door locks are now black plastic instead of chrome! They are pinching pennies everywhere they can theses days inorder to survive.

It is an "access panel" in that you can access everything if your hands are about the size of one of the bolts holding the panel up! I like to take my cover off anyway to change the oil.

I watched the "Saving GM" documentary on CNBC a couple of days ago. Lutz...no wonder. Looks like all roads lead to structured bankruptcy as of now. It is a bad time caused much by bad decisions. If they come out of it leaner, meaner, and viable, it will be good, but it's hard to see that happening with the government getting into the HR business.