Paint Code and Vehicle Mismatch [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Paint Code and Vehicle Mismatch

Chevy Girl
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
I have been on a search for the touch-up paint for my 2003 Envoy since I bought it. It had a few tiny scratches from rocks and such here and there, just enough to annoy me really. I checked the code on the truck, it was WA386E, or Pewter Metallic, now if you look at my truck, it does not appear to have much pewter, but I bought it anyways. I tested it in several inconspicious spots, under back hatch, door jam, under hood, no match. :hissy: The truck appears more of a champagne. Anyone else had trouble getting the color code and the actually truck color to match?

We recently had an ice storm and I ran the truck into a concrete barrier in a yard up the street trying to avoid hitting a kid and busted up the front bumper. I found a cheap one primed, but I can't find the paint color. I'm about to take it to a color shop and have it scanned but was curious if anyone else had this problem.

WOOLUF1952
04-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Have you tried the dealer? Or Dupli-color web site?

Chickenhawk
04-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Pewter metallic looks far closer to champagne than to pewter.

My wife's Blazer is pewter metallic and when I went to order a cargo cover for my Trailblazer, they told me I had a pewter interior. I didn't believe them until I confirmed it myself. Her truck is a light champagne and my interior is a dark grey. Big difference; same colour name.

KrazyNick911
04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Mine is Pewter Metallic and that's not the right code.

In my glove box it says U 382E.

And the Dupli-color code is NG GM 490!

And it's a perfect match!

Chickenhawk
04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
GMC and Chevrolet use different paint codes. The 2002 Chevrolet is WA382E.

The 2003 GMC Envoy is WA386E.

Canadian Mike
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Chevy Girl, I'm in the same situation as you. I haven't tried the dealer. I just looked at the Dupli-Color site. My code shows as:
BC/CC U 929L 332

The closest on the site is:
15 929L Cashmere Metallic

This is a match for my truck? :confused: I even have a 2004 GMC Envoy brochure and there's no "Cashmere Metallic" anywhere.

ChickenHawk, I searched CrappyTire, no match there visually. Am I missing something?

Chevy Girl
04-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Chevy Girl, I'm in the same situation as you. I haven't tried the dealer. I just looked at the Dupli-Color site. My code shows as:
BC/CC U 929L 332

The closest on the site is:
15 929L Cashmere Metallic

This is a match for my truck? :confused: I even have a 2004 GMC Envoy brochure and there's no "Cashmere Metallic" anywhere.

ChickenHawk, I searched CrappyTire, no match there visually. Am I missing something?

I've tried looking at a few color sites, as for my actual model, none of the colors actually match. The ones that go to my code are too gray. I'm not sure how you can have a vehicle that turns out a color not on the years color list but evidently it happens. I think I'm just going to have my truck scanned and see what color they give me.

Chickenhawk
04-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Mike, that number does not exist in any database I can find. It is an Isuzu Ascender and Olds Bravada colour.

Why not pop over to this thread:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=49935&highlight=vin&page=24
07TB is a great help, and he could run your VIN for you just to be sure about that paint code.

Canadian Mike
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Mike, that number does not exist in any database I can find. It is an Isuzu Ascender and Olds Bravada colour.

Why not pop over to this thread:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=49935&highlight=vin&page=24
07TB is a great help, and he could run your VIN for you just to be sure about that paint code.

Thanks for looking. I never thought to check out the other-GMT's colour. Where to look?
As for the VIN, I got "longspur" [fellow Canadian :thumbsup:] to do it as well as a "Carfax" [AutoCheck]. Fetched it out of archives:

Truck's build sheet shows "Sand Beige Met"
but also found this through a RPO Description:
15U Primary Color Exterior, Dark Silver (Holdens 02)
33I Secondary Color Exterior, LT Driftwood Met (91):ugh:
332 Trim Combination Leather, LT Cashmere/MED DK Cashmere (2) (04)

BTW, link was missing.

pdutzel
04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
This can be one pain in the butt color i hate to paint that color,in Dupont there are about 8 different formulas for just that paint code.And i have to tint the poop out of it every time.Thats because when GM paints them they dont care about paint matches because they paint the whole thing.And that is the reason some bumper covers are not even close they are not painted with the body

DARKASS04EXT
04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
i had a 99 chrysler 300m, and it was a pewter met. using the factory touch up paints, it didnt match until a clear was put onto it. hopefully chevy wasnt the same, it was a pain in the butt. how can you clear a paint chip?!?!?!? (i busted up the rear bumper and tried it)

Denali n DOO
04-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Yep, the Paint Code thing is a bunch of BS. I went to the dealer to buy touch up for my 67U Liquid Silver Metalic. He runs the VIN and gives me a bottle of 67 Lt. Tarnished Silver. Says its the same color but they changed the name and code. So as a result I have never even opened the bottle to use it.

Chickenhawk
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Denali, i think your dealer was correct.

And I think Dark made a real good point when he said that most modern clearcoat touchup paints are not going to look right until the clearcoat is added.

If you ever saw a two-part (colour + clear) vehicle being painted, you wouldn't believe the difference. My wife's bright red truck looked like dull rust when it first when on; nothing at all like the final result with the clearcoat.

guano2
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Silvers, Golds always have been near impossible to match. :m2: