Help with a P1484 [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Help with a P1484

GhettoBlazer
06-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey all, new to the forum and been a lurker for a lil bit. I was on the road today and had to merge into traffic from a stop. I goose the truck to merge and the Service Engine Soon light came on and The Reduced Engine Power light came on also. Took the truck to Autozone and had the code read. The truck code came back as a P1484. Something dealing with the fan. Any help greatly appreciated.

02EnvoySLE Guy
06-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Here's what the GM Manual says about this code:

The cooling fan relay sends a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 12-14 volts to the cooling fan clutch through the cooling fan clutch supply voltage circuit. The powertrain control module (PCM) uses this PWM signal in order to control the speed of the cooling fan clutch. The signal controls the position of the oil control valve inside the cooling fan clutch. If the cooling fan RPM is different than the PCM is expecting, DTC P1484 will set. The actual cooling fan RPM vs the desired cooling fan RPM is not always exactly the same. There can be up to an 800-RPM difference.

The engine is running.
The system voltage is greater than 8.5 volts.
The intake air temperature (IAT) is greater than -7C (19F).
DTCs P1481 and P1482 are not set.
The engine speed is less than 3200 RPM.
The engine speed is not changing more than 250 RPM for 5 seconds.
Fan command is greater than 0%.

The maximum allowable error of 1000 RPM in the cooling fan speed occurs for 100 seconds.
The PCM detects that the cooling fan clutch is locked up.

The Reduced Engine Power indicator illuminates only if the PCM detects that the cooling fan clutch is locked up.
The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
The PCM will store the conditions as Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
The PCM commands the cooling fan clutch to 100%.

Important
Follow this procedure in order to clear DTC P1484 after completing a repair.

<LI type=1>Use the Clear DTC Information function on the scan tool.
Perform an ignition key cycle.
The PCM turns OFF the MIL after the third consecutive trip that the diagnostic test has run and passed.

The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.

An inline connector could cause an intermittent DTC. Ensure to test for poor connections and pin retention at all inline connectors. Refer to system schematics for connector and locations.
If the condition is not present, refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections (http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/CellHandler?CellId=62112&RefDoc=741408&evc=sm) in Wiring Systems.
Disconnect the harness connector of the cooling fan clutch from the shroud. Inspect the exposed wires between the harness connector and the tubing.
If DTCs P1484 and P0113 are set, and the weather conditions are cold, the cooling fan code may be false. Clear DTC P1484, and after an IAT sensor check, allow the DTC to reset .
I'd say that 'fan clutch locked up' is your problem, based on how that reads. :m2:

GhettoBlazer
06-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Yea I guess I am gonna have to get out there tomorrow and check to see if terminal tension is good too. This truck has had the whole doghouse replaced and it may be terminal tension. But it could very well be the Fan Clutch too. Pretty odd for me to see a fan clutch code. New to me.

02EnvoySLE Guy
06-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Yea I guess I am gonna have to get out there tomorrow and check to see if terminal tension is good too. This truck has had the whole doghouse replaced and it may be terminal tension. But it could very well be the Fan Clutch too. Pretty odd for me to see a fan clutch code. New to me.

Mind if I ask why the doghouse was replaced? Haven't heard of that happening on one of these trucks before. :confused:

Envoy Fan
06-07-2005, 11:07 AM

The fan clutch going bad is very common on the TB and Envoys. Could cost anywhere from $350 to $600 to replace, depending on what service company you select. The fan clutch is readily available on Ebay for $100 to $150 new. :m2:

Envoy Fan
06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Mind if I ask why the doghouse was replaced? Haven't heard of that happening on one of these trucks before. :confused:

My guess is that it had a front end Oops in its past. :p

GhettoBlazer
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Yea big front end oops. Kinda happens when parents let a 23 year old kid have at the wheel of the family truckster.

02EnvoySLE Guy
06-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Yea big front end oops. Kinda happens when parents let a 23 year old kid have at the wheel of the family truckster.

Well... personally its my belief that 23 is hardly a 'kid'. However, I'm a 19 year old who has an 02 Envoy as a daily driver. I might be biased :m2:

GhettoBlazer
06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeap 23 year old kid.

zrwon
06-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Well... personally its my belief that 23 is hardly a 'kid'. However, I'm a 19 year old who has an 02 Envoy as a daily driver. I might be biased :m2:
Charlie that makes you a baby then, but man what a tall baby you are, just kidding, it was a joke, yes I'm jalous, I wish I was 19 again :cry: is it just me or the girls really look better now then in my days?
When I was 19, I couldn't find one that I liked, now I would take them all, man are you lucky to be 19 with all them cute little Brittney wannabes.

02EnvoySLE Guy
06-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Charlie that makes you a baby then, but man what a tall baby you are, just kidding, it was a joke, yes I'm jalous, I wish I was 19 again :cry: is it just me or the girls really look better now then in my days?
When I was 19, I couldn't find one that I liked, now I would take them all, man are you lucky to be 19 with all them cute little Brittney wannabes.

Heh, and yet I want no part of the little Brittney wannabes. I'd trade for 'back in the day' girls any time. Now all of them are about sex, drugs, and clubbing. They do whatever it takes to "have a good time and do what feels good."

I don't want any trashy whores doing that crap around me :m2: I'd rather have a calm, down to earth girl who doesn't have to be doing some crazy stuff all the time. (That's exactly why I'll probably never end up married -- nobody like that exists anymore!!) :rolleyes: