Front Wheel Bearings? $500 to replace?! [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Front Wheel Bearings? $500 to replace?!

dredd15
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone.

We recently drove from Michigan to Florida and back. During the trip, our 2002 Traiblazer LS starting emitting a loud hum from the front drivers side wheel area. Its almost like a really low pitch "wah wah wah wah" or a "wosh wosh wosh wosh" type of sound. I'm not really car savvy, so I asked some friends and family, and they thought it might be wheel bearings.

Now that we've driven on it for a month or so, there is almost like a metalic grinding sound that comes and goes ... so it's time to get it fixed!

I look at the tire, and the tire is fine, no cupping and there is still decent tread.

I called around to half a dozen car shops in town asking for a quote on replacing the bearing (assuming that's the issue), and was quoted anywhere from $350 to $550. I assume the difference in cost is the quality of the replacement bearing.

Do those quotes sound excessive? That seems like a real kick in the balls ... yikes.

the roadie
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Please run a search. Been discussed extensively. You can get $100-$200 bearings. Only you can judge whether you are up to changing them, but they're generally regarded as slightly easier than a brake job on a 2WD. You didn't fill out your profile, so I don't know if you have 4WD.

BUC NASTY
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
normally the dealer selles the hubs for 400 a piece. I got mine for 120 for a pair.

dirtychevymama
06-04-2009, 01:08 AM
What?!?! Yikes DIY....save some $$$!

benstep11
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
What?!?! Yikes DIY....save some $$$!

:iagree:

Or find a buddy that'll do car repair in exchange for beer and/or pizza. Everyone has one of those friends, right??

MichEnvoyBoy
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I can change the wheel bearings on my 4wd Envoy in about 20 minutes now.

Piece.of.cake :D

NORTHFACEPA
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
wow..sorry to hear about that..wheel bearings common to go out in TBs?? mine has about 57k on it and ive never changed them..but the price seems high:worried:

Michblaze02
06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I can change the wheel bearings on my 4wd Envoy in about 20 minutes now.

Piece.of.cake :D

Really, wow :eek:. Took a friends buddy who is a mechanic a solid hour with all of the polishing down of the crap around the hub. He did a really good job to make sure everything was clean and seated straight.

For price, $190 for the better longer warrantied hub, and 80 for him to put it in.

rbarrios
06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
wow..sorry to hear about that..wheel bearings common to go out in TBs?? mine has about 57k on it and ive never changed them..but the price seems high:worried:

southern California Trailblazer here- 146,000- still on factory wheel bearings.
Id decrease life a bit- for potholed street driven vehicles.

Algonquin
06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
GM trucks appear to be notorious for the bearings going. My dad has had two chevys recently - a '00 blazer and an '02 silverado. Both trucks had bearing problems, and now my '04 TB EXT just had it's driver bearing go days before the warranty ran out (just made it) and now, about 1 yr later, my passenger side is going. You should note that I've never heard of one bearing going without the other one going within a few months. Dealer prices are ridiculous. I have a discount auto place in town where I usually go but he wants $225 per bearing for the SKF (remember, I'm in Canada and we always pay more for everything automotive than you guys in the US). Does anyone know the bearing number so that I can go to the local SKF bearing dealer? Incidentally, while a bit messy, bearing are very easy to replace.

MichEnvoyBoy
06-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Really, wow :eek:. Took a friends buddy who is a mechanic a solid hour with all of the polishing down of the crap around the hub. He did a really good job to make sure everything was clean and seated straight.

For price, $190 for the better longer warrantied hub, and 80 for him to put it in.

$190 each or for both!?? I paid a lot less than that and I have lifetime warranties.

Michblaze02
06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
$190 each or for both!?? I paid a lot less than that and I have lifetime warranties.

I only had to do the front left hub, it got so bad my rear view mirror would vibrate. Where did you get yours, ya mine was 190 for just one from autozone. When I finally decided to get it changed I didnt have much time to shop around, we were going to Wisconsin the next day for Christamas. My fault for not planning ahead.

esteban5340953
06-06-2009, 10:12 AM
i got mine from ebay for 60 bucks and it took me 10 min to change with a lift and air tools.