Excessive Oil Consumption [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Excessive Oil Consumption

guitarplayr92m
07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July!
I had a question about oil consumption. I checked the oil in my trailblazer a week ago, when I last washed it, and it was as full as full can get. I washed my truck again today, and checked the oil again, this time the oil was down to the first dot. Call me crazy, but that seems rediculous that the level dropped 2 dots in a week. I don't run the engine hard, but I give it a workout. Also, the oil pressure gauge was reading normal pressure between 40 and 80 consistently. Every maintenance period, I have to keep filling it up....I'm fed up!

jfhwkins
07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
My TB does that on occasion but not consistantly there was another discussion on this a couple months back I dont remember the outcome.

n0kfb
07-05-2009, 02:40 PM
How many miles did you drive for your oil to go down the less than one quart you are concerned about? I don't know, but I'll bet you went at least 1,000 miles since you topped up your oil.

Take the practical approach. Make sure the oil filter and drain plug are not leaking, and oil isn't leaking onto hot exhaust parts. You can buy a lot of oil for what it will cost to reduce this sort of oil consumption.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

jackedupcanyon
07-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Have you noticed any smoke? Yes do the easy stuff first and check the entire engine over for any oil leaks. In addition to check the oil and oil filter, I would recommend changing the PCV valve (cheap - maybe $2?). After that you need to start looking at gaskets and rings. But with all of these you should seen signs of the problem (oil on engine, engine smoking, etc etc).

justblazin
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Was the engine warm or cold both measuring times??

guitarplayr92m
07-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Guys,
There is absoulutely no leaks under or around the truck. The last time it was in for service was about 1,000 miles ago. There is no smoke what so ever coming from the exhaust. It seems to be running ok, I looked under the hood, and I couldn't see a drop of oil. I have been having to top it off for a while now between oil changes, and I told the dealer about it, but of course, they dismissed my concerns! The engine temp was about half way between cold and normal operating temp when I checked it, and I did let the oil drain into the crankcase. The longest trip I have done, since last maintenance was to the Jersey Shore about 250 miles roundtrip highway

fifields
07-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Go with the PCV valve...If it fails it can cause blow-by resulting in the oil consumption.:m2:

guitarplayr92m
07-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Stupid question, where is the PCV valve? :bonk:

jackedupcanyon
07-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Should be on the driver side valve cover at the very back. Will have a hose connected to it. Very easy to replace. Go buy one at the auto parts store - having it may help you locate it.

WOOLUF1952
07-06-2009, 02:50 AM
IIRC, A bad PCV will not cause blow-by. Blow-by is caused by bad rings. If it is stuck closed it will cause pressure to build-up in the crankcase (the C in PCV) and cause oil to leak out. Pull the old PCV out and shake it. You should be able to hear the ball inside rattle. If not, replace it.

rbarrios
07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
147,000 miles of owning a TB-- and I didnt know we had a PCV valve...
do we? I thought we didnt have one...

Super 88
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM

No those of us with the I6 don't have a PCV valve. But the o/p has a V8 engine.

jackedupcanyon
07-06-2009, 08:41 PM

No those of us with the I6 don't have a PCV valve. But the o/p has a V8 engine.

Funny........It's in the GM service manual!

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/jackedupcanyon/PCV-valve.jpg

WOOLUF1952
07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
That is for the V-8 engines.

jackedupcanyon
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Yep. Apparently I misread the 4.8 for the 4.2. Guess I need those glasses after all. My bad!

guitarplayr92m
07-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, have not yet had time to disconect the PCV tube and valve, but if that is the cause of this annoying problem, how much do they cost, and where can I get one, because I was going to autozone today.

HOTRODSURFER
07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Hey Guys,
There is absoulutely no leaks under or around the truck. The last time it was in for service was about 1,000 miles ago. There is no smoke what so ever coming from the exhaust. It seems to be running ok, I looked under the hood, and I couldn't see a drop of oil. I have been having to top it off for a while now between oil changes, and I told the dealer about it, but of course, they dismissed my concerns!
dismissed your concerns???? every engine will use oil!!! normal oil consumption as per gm is 1 quart per 2000 miles

guitarplayr92m
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
It used a quart of oil in a WEEK!!!! That is not normal. Autozone ran a scan, no codes or faults. Dealer and parts department told me there is no PCV valve on the 5.3L engine.

HOTRODSURFER
07-07-2009, 12:24 PM
<LI type=1>Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary. <LI type=1>Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual). <LI type=1>Park the vehicle on a level surface. <LI type=1>Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase. <LI type=1>Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual. <LI type=1>Record the vehicle mileage, date, and exact oil level on the form included in this bulletin. <LI type=1>Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 1-6 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption.
before you go off half cocked here is the proper procedure for checking your oil,was the oil down to the add line??? if not it WAS NOT a quart low

guitarplayr92m
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, it was down to the add line....thats what i've BEEN telling you....

Ntrsandmann
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I can't believe the "experts" on this board. :nono: There is a documented issue with the 5.3 using oil. In fact there is a TSB on it. I do not have the TSB # handy but it uas been posted on this board before so a search will find it. My SAAB 97x has this problem as well and i am Wrestling with the dealer about it now. it easily goes through 1 qt every thousand miles, which is rediculous for any engine. Worse yet I see no evidence of leakage or burning... So please, tell this gentleman the truth about our engines and stop questioning his methods, he needs to knw the truth so he can get a warranty claim in right away. Supposedly a simple fix in most cases from what i am told.

Thanks All.

MtrSandmann

WOOLUF1952
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I can't believe the "experts" on this board. :nono: There is a documented issue with the 5.3 using oil. In fact there is a TSB on it. I do not have the TSB # handy but it uas been posted on this board before so a search will find it. My SAAB 97x has this problem as well and i am Wrestling with the dealer about it now. it easily goes through 1 qt every thousand miles, which is rediculous for any engine. Worse yet I see no evidence of leakage or burning... So please, tell this gentleman the truth about our engines and stop questioning his methods, he needs to knw the truth so he can get a warranty claim in right away. Supposedly a simple fix in most cases from what i am told.

Thanks All.

MtrSandmann

OK. The truth is we do not have access to this mans engine. To fix a problem we have to ask questions, If the oil was being checked while parked on a hill it will give a false reading. And yes, it has happened. Instead of reading us the riot act, find the TSB and help the man out.

guitarplayr92m
07-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks All.

MtrSandmann

Thanks Guy for backing me up! Would you happen to have the TSB? By the way. Also, I know notice I have a P0300 code "random misfire" on cylinders 2 and 7, this is accompianed by poor and rough idle, with a stalling feeling in 1st gear. Also noticed about 2,000 RPM's, sounds like the engine is making popcorn! Also, the oil was checked on a level driveway, after sitting for about 20 minutes.

WOOLUF1952
07-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks Guy for backing me up! Would you happen to have the TSB? By the way. Also, I know notice I have a P0300 code "random misfire" on cylinders 2 and 7, this is accompianed by poor and rough idle, with a stalling feeling in 1st gear. Also noticed about 2,000 RPM's, sounds like the engine is making popcorn! Also, the oil was checked on a level driveway, after sitting for about 20 minutes.

I didn't mean to intimate you were doing or checking anything wrong. But without access to your vehicle we need to ask questions to eliminate possible problems. The GM accepted norm is less than 1 qt. in 2000 miles. If it is using more than that, there is something wrong, and they should fix it. You may have to go to another dealer. Make sure you get and keep all written work orders from the dealer for future litigation. :m2: What reason did the dealer give for not following there (GM's) own guide lines? Hopefully NtrSandmann (Is it NtrSandmann or MtrSandmann? You have both listed.) can find the TSB for you.
As for the popcorn sound: Have the plugs all been checked for tightness? If a plug or plugs are loose it can make a popping sound.

guitarplayr92m
07-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I didn't mean to intimate you were doing or checking anything wrong. But without access to your vehicle we need to ask questions to eliminate possible problems. The GM accepted norm is less than 1 qt. in 2000 miles. If it is using more than that, there is something wrong, and they should fix it. You may have to go to another dealer. Make sure you get and keep all written work orders from the dealer for future litigation. :m2: What reason did the dealer give for not following there (GM's) own guide lines? Hopefully NtrSandmann (Is it NtrSandmann or MtrSandmann? You have both listed.) can find the TSB for you.
As for the popcorn sound: Have the plugs all been checked for tightness? If a plug or plugs are loose it can make a popping sound.

I am keeping all work orders for my vehicle just in case. The dealer said that they checked the plugs and the fuel injectors on the cylinders that coded on the misfire. They also cleared out the code, and I can't get the SES light to come back on, but it is still doing the same thing, even worse!

Denali n DOO
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Mine was doing same but found black soot inside tailpipe. Dealer performed TSB 4492D. check my thread "puff of blue smoke" all the details are there, I just need to check level now to see if it made a difference,

Denali n DOO
07-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Mine was doing same but found black soot inside tailpipe. Dealer performed TSB 4492D. check my thread "puff of blue smoke" all the details are there, I just need to check level now to see if it made a difference,

Accually the better thread to read with pictures is called "Help-Where's My Oil Going" started by "quag421".........

Robert1101
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Also noticed about 2,000 RPM's, sounds like the engine is making popcorn! .

Do you know what "Ping" sounds like?

guitarplayr92m
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
New Information,

Misfire is now just on cylinder 7. Dealer said the noise in question over 2,000 RPM's was arching from a bad spark plug wire. They said it is best not to drive it.

Denali n DOO
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
New Information,

Misfire is now just on cylinder 7. Dealer said the noise in question over 2,000 RPM's was arching from a bad spark plug wire. They said it is best not to drive it.

Now theres a good fix from ur dealer, don't use it, I'll bet that also cures the oil consumption issue as well:thumbsup:

guitarplayr92m
07-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm so happy, that my truck will finally be running like new again, I forget what it feels and sounds like. The only problem now, is that they don't know when they can get the part in. They might have to contact GM to get it in! HAHA:duh:

guitarplayr92m
07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Just got the truck back, sounds like new again, but that darn idle is still rough!

CSDenali
07-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Interesting thread. My Envoy is also drinking the oil. No leaks, smoke, etc. There is some soot in the tailpipe. A couple weeks ago I got dash warnings regarding low oil. I was 4500 miles since last oil change. Checked the oil and found nothing on the stick! At 53,000 miles, I was shocked. Filled the oil and still had a check engine light. Dealer replaced oil sensor switch and did the oil change, etc. Few days later took it from Michigan to Kentucky, pulling a 12 foot pop up. By southern Indiana, it was down over half a quart. I've had a Tahoe and Avalanche, with the 5.3, and have had no usage like this. Never had to worry about oil levels. Now, with an '06, I have to keep a quart of oil in the back like the good old days with the Blazers. The dealer did tell about the 1 quart per 2000 miles usage. Mine seems to be there or worse. I'll be checking the plugs/wires, PCV, etc.

Denali n DOO
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting thread. My Envoy is also drinking the oil. No leaks, smoke, etc. There is some soot in the tailpipe. A couple weeks ago I got dash warnings regarding low oil. I was 4500 miles since last oil change. Checked the oil and found nothing on the stick! At 53,000 miles, I was shocked. Filled the oil and still had a check engine light. Dealer replaced oil sensor switch and did the oil change, etc. Few days later took it from Michigan to Kentucky, pulling a 12 foot pop up. By southern Indiana, it was down over half a quart. I've had a Tahoe and Avalanche, with the 5.3, and have had no usage like this. Never had to worry about oil levels. Now, with an '06, I have to keep a quart of oil in the back like the good old days with the Blazers. The dealer did tell about the 1 quart per 2000 miles usage. Mine seems to be there or worse. I'll be checking the plugs/wires, PCV, etc.

mine is 06 Denali like yours. I never saw the smoke, someone else did... thats when I looked in tailpipe and found black soot. If you look at other tread by quag421 "Help-Wheres my oil going" you will see the pics of the replacement parts. Mine was done under warranty. I been meaning to check oil now to see if solved but not had truck out last few days. I would imagine when pulling a trailer it may burn more oil?

CSDenali
07-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the thread info. Yeah, it definitely got a work out in those hills! I'll check into those parts. Interesting, no issues with my Tahoe or Avalanche. They were always on the full mark for oil. :undecided

guitarplayr92m
07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
800 miles since last oil change, and I have already lost a dot on the dipstick, it is at the half way mark right now, GM specs is 1QT every 2,000 miles right?

WOOLUF1952
07-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Right.

Hal
07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Hello all. I've been a member for some time but have never posted. I had a Toyota land cruiser once that drank oil. No smoke until I disconnect the Catalytic Converter then it pored the blue smoke. rings were bad at 26,000 miles. A compression check showed low on all six cylinders.:weird:

WOOLUF1952
07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello all. I've been a member for some time but have never posted. I had a Toyota land cruiser once that drank oil. No smoke until I disconnect the Catalytic Converter then it pored the blue smoke. rings were bad at 26,000 miles. A compression check showed low on all six cylinders.:weird:

Yup. A lot of people don't realize the cat removes the smoke. Also, the sound of any 4BBL. carb with all barrels open is a sweet sound.:thumbsup:

guitarplayr92m
07-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey guys,

I am having the same problem again with my engine. This time the "arching" occurs at 3,000 RPM's and over, and it only feels like it is going to stall with you are just letting off of the brake, with no gas.

n0kfb
07-25-2009, 12:58 PM
800 miles since last oil change, and I have already lost a dot on the dipstick, it is at the half way mark right now, GM specs is 1QT every 2,000 miles right?

Sounds like you are right at the GM specification for high oil consumption, and maybe even more.

If you are paying to bring oil consumption down to something less than 2000 miles per quart, how much are you willing to pay for the repair, and what repairs would you make to reduce oil consumption?

Hal
07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
On page 6-289 of my 03 factory manual for "Base Engine Misfire with Excessive Oil Consumption" on of the diagnostic tests is "Inspect the cylinders for loss of compression. Refer to Engine Compression Test on page 6-294. I have attached this page.

If I were you and it was still under warranty I would insist the dealer perform the test and provide a hard copy of the results.

Hal
07-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry about the attachment. I just noticed but it appears when I scanned the page and converted it from .rtf to .doc all the o's got converted to a's. I will try to correct it.
:bonk:

Hal
07-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Try this.

another todd
07-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Mine has does the same thing about 5 times now. Won't use a drop for months then uses a couple quarts in a couple weeks. This happens more often than not right after an oil change. I drop the oil, change the filter, add oil, run the engine, top off the oil. Two weeks later it can be down 2 quarts and not a drop on the ground, no smoke either.

cgallo
07-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi to All, I rode all the messages, I suggest to do the following procedure.
1. Please review all the coils, Spark cables and Spark Plus, to look if there is some carbon trace
2. Review if the spark plugs have oil or soot, If yes, this is the reason for arching the spark, because there is no spark inside the cilinder and the injected gas will clean the oil inside the cilinder, and the spark will search for another better path to ground.
3. With the engine in normal temp, measure a compression test, if one cilinder is 70% below than the highest, you coul have problems with rings, seating valves ( review the document that one sent you scanned)
4. If the compression test is ok, you must do a Leaking valve test, probably valve guides leaking.

exuseme for my English and I hope you let us to know your advances.:rolleyes:

Cesar Gallo
Medellin, Colombia

guitarplayr92m
07-27-2009, 02:01 PM
The arching noise, seems to be fading away, weirdest thing ever. Running ok every now and then will see a big dip in RPM's at idle. Other than that seems better. Just gonna have to keep an eye on things and take it in when things get worse. Thanks for all your help everyone. As always it is very appreciated!

CSDenali
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Some members have cited a dirty throttle body as the culprit for erratic idle. I checked my air filter and then the throttle body. It was filthy. Gummed up with a black soot that was damp. I removed it and cleaned. It seems to idle more smoothly now. If this doesn't work I'd suspect something electrical with the plugs, etc. My air filter was horrible when I bought the Denali last year. The stealership never changed it during the oil change. Worst I had ever seen in a car, bike, or tractor. Should have checked the throttle body intake then . . .:duh:

SSportWagon
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
OK ... I read all the problems

WHERE"S THE SOLUTION ?!?!?

or am I a bonehead and missed it ?

CSDenali
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't think there has been a constant, one answer. If you are not leaking out of the block or valve covers, and your coolant is clean, it appears the piston rings may be the culprit. Low compression from a bad ring can cause the blue smoke. However, some members are not seeing it. Either they are missing it, or the catalytic converter is masking it. There was also a thread regarding a service bulletin under the valve covers. The drain holes were not doing their thing and some rework was needed. Not cheap if you are out of warranty like I am. Mine has been eating oil, however, no leaks, smoke and clean coolant. Points toward the expensive end. :( Until then, I guess we go back to the good old days of carrying an extra quart of oil in the back. Just irks me, with a 3 year old vehicle. :hissy:

guitarplayr92m
07-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah I know how you feel about a 3 year old vehicle doing this, I feel the same way. Even GM's specs are so out of wack it is rediculous a QT of oil in 2,000 miles, come on now engineer it better than that. I just hope that whatever is in the process of failing fails before 80,000 miles before I am out of warranty.

guitarplayr92m
08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

Its been a while since I have talked about this, but to get everyone up to speed, I had engine misfires on cylinders 2 and 7. Got them fixed and the gas mileage improved greatly, getting 16.1 mpg according to the computer, but I'm still losing oil. I filled it up once already since its last maintenance period, and we are back down to the first dot again. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

n0kfb
08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey guys,
>snip<

I filled it up once already since its last maintenance period, and we are back down to the first dot again. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

OK - The first dot is 1/2 quart. How many miles since your last oil change?

bartonmd
08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
BTW, rings will cause it to smoke... Leaking exhaust valve seals will just dump oil into the exhaust, which will just be blown out the pipe as a fine mist (or drops, depending on how bad it is), so you won't see it...

Mike

guitarplayr92m
08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey guys,

It has been about 2,000 miles since last changed, I filled it up from the 1st dot once, now we are back down to the first dot again. As for the exhaust I do notice in the morning, that there will be some light white stuff coming out, i dont know if you would call it smoke, it is usually accompanied by a little puddle, but it will do it when its 75 degrees out in the morning. I have also noticed my gas mileage is starting to drop!

Hal
08-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Try this.
Check your compression. Post #44 has the factory procedure from the 'O3 manual. It's not hard. In the mornings when you first start it and see droplets coming from the tail pipe that could be condensation(normal when the air is cool and moist).:m2:

markarock
08-28-2009, 05:44 PM
I changed my oil at 62,005 miles.

2,500 miles later I was down exactly one quart.

According to a projection based upon the oil life monitor, I'll get about 9,250 miles out of this oil change. I'm using ordinary dino oil, Shell 5W-30, and a Napa Gold filter.

Next change I'm going to switch to synthetic (Mobil 1) and see if there is any difference--besides the price. A quart of synthetic every 2,500 miles can get to be expensive--At the rate I'm going, I'll have added 3 quarts before I'm due for a change.

bartonmd
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
fingers crossed: at 45,000 miles, I'm still burning about 1/4 quart in 10,000 miles... and my wife drives this thing like a F-ing NASCAR, even from a cold start (though it does live in the attached garage, so it's never below about 45-50F in the winter)... Have been running M1 T&SUV Synthetic since 14,000 miles, but it didn't burn any before that, either...

Mike

n0kfb
08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
It has been about 2,000 miles since last changed, I filled it up from the 1st dot once, now we are back down to the first dot again. >snip<

So if I read between the lines properly, you have used 1 quart in 2000 miles.

If this is an internal engine issue, how much money will it take to resolve this problem?

markarock
08-29-2009, 07:24 PM
If this is an internal engine issue, how much money will it take to resolve this problem?

You'll find the info to give you a sense of the answer in this thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=50695

But how much it will cost depends on whether you are under warranty, and if not whether you do it yourself, have a local shop do it, or have a dealership do it. So the only answer we can give is, "It depends."

guitarplayr92m
08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses, I am still under warranty for my vehicle so any work that gets done, should be covered. From gathering all of the knowledge from this thread, I think personally that my rings are bad. Also one more note on the exhaust. Earlier I stated that it only blew smoke when engine was cold, and first started after looking closer, it will do this no matter what time of day and temperature the engine is at.