electrical issues, radio problems [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: electrical issues, radio problems

bayleaf36ff
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
My wife's 2006 Trailblazer is having some electrical issues. It started as a radio problem... At any given time, only some speakers work. Sometimes it's all of them, some times it's only the front tweeters. We always get some noise. Probably 95% of the time less than all of the speakers work. Sometimes it's just the right ones, sometimes just the front, etc. Always different.

About 2-3 days later we realized that only half of her dash lights up. On the climate controls, only the drivers side was lit up... passenger side was completely out. The next time we turned the truck on, all the lights worked... So the light and radio problems are intermittent.

About 4 weeks later she noticed that her passenger side backup light is out. I changed the bulb and it still doesn't work. I don't have a meter here to be able to check anything there, but I switched the bulb twice and none of them worked... pretty safe to say there is no electricity there.

The Chevy dealership says we need a new radio... really? I think all 3 of these problems are most likely related, and we've got some big problems if the radio is knocking out her backup lights. We've been to the dealership 3 times already with no luck. We're taking it back thursday.

Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Fortunately she bought the extended warranty, and she's already paid her deductible, so cost isn't going to be an issue.

THanks!
Jeremy

Diacom
07-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Couple of checks...

Loose grounding connections
Loose connection to fuse box
Short in HU or Amp if equiped doing some backfeeding through the illumination circut, which is why your having dash light issues
Loose or bad connection to the back of the headlight swtich

Post back with what you find, i'm curious as to what the actual problem is.

Gildenov
07-21-2009, 09:27 PM
I have a 2004 and it's having the same problems. It started like you said with the radio working when it wanted to, it also was getting really hot. Then we noticed the dash would only light up on the drivers side, not in the middle, stereo, climate control, etc.. We're also getting a burning smell, which is concerning me a bit.
If you have figured out what's causing the problem, please post the solution. Thank you!

Gildenov

agreif
08-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Bringing this one back to see if there are any updates.

jarjar
09-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi, I also have the same problems, and the dealer also advised changing the radio. The funny thing is that in hot weather the radio works and in cold it doesn't. Backup lights do not work. So if anyone has any answers it would be helpful. Thanks.

ttimms23
12-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm having the same issues with the radio and speakers and instrument lights on 2004 Trailblazer. Any updates for this one?

Tony

roncoxx
04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Sounds familiar. Dash lights not dying yet that I've noticed but radio does better when it's warm. Almost no sounds when it's cold.
Any info please let us know!

Thanks, Ronnie

Diacom
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Going to guess, due to the current date, and the date of the OP, that this is a dead issue as the OP only currently has 1 post to his name and this was it...

apage923
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
OK I thought when I got my 04 used the previous owner must have done something to the radio and/or speakers. Im not having any light issues yet? Can the dealership really only come up with replace the radio....give me a break. This is not a dead issue.

90vol745
07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
i too have radio and dash lighting problem...heat behind radio panel and intermittent cut out of radio sound......sounds like a common problem, so maybe this issue is discussed elsewhere on the forum?

dagnabbit
08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
My wife's 2007 trailblazer with 67,000 miles started having these same types of problem a month ago. We first noticed the intermittent speaker outage on the radio and thought it was a bit odd. Now it seems to have deteriorated from seldom to often. Just last week we noticed the driver side climate control only works intermittently. We have not noticed any change in the dash lighting or other electrical. With a few of these having the same problem (and seems they span model years), is this more likely a module (component) problem or just a bad connector somewhere? Where to start looking? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

roncoxx
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Seems the norm. Dealer wants $500 for stock, crap radio. If it's a single CD one like I've got it's the ENVOY 06-09 AM-FM-stereo-single CD "UB0" There's a bunch of used ones out there. From one site...

This model radio may need to be programmed at the dealer for it work properly. The dealership will actually program the radio to the vehicle so they can communicate together. The estimated cost to program one of the radio to your vehicles is $45.00 but check with your local dealer for a quote

Best buy said they'd install for $50

bullardt
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I have similar problems with my '05 Trailblazer. I noticed the sound only coming out of the right front speaker quite some time ago. It would come and go for no obvious reason. I tightened as many grounds as I could find but no luck. It used to come back after about 6-8 hours of driving but then go out again upon restart after stopping then take another 6-8 hours to work, then only the front speakers. SInce the door/seatbelt chime works through the radio, this could be a safety problem, right?

The radio seemed to act up more up in Indiana during cold weather, and work here in Florida when it got warm which is why I tightened the grounds.

I bought a used radio on eBay to see if that would correct the problem. It didn't.

My mechanic cousin asked if I had tapped into any wiring. I had spliced into the seat belt on/off circuit in the headliner to install an aftermarket compass/temperature display mirror in 2006. He suggested removing the mirror splice. I did. No change.

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions? Help!

Tom

roncoxx
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
never would have believed it. same issue with sound coming and going. hot and cold weather. thought it was the radio for sure. turned out all four speakers were blown. never heard of this ever and have been toying with cars for years! only GM....

bullardt
12-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I also never would have believed that my problem was with the speakers. Based on information in this thread I hooked up an old speaker I had pulled out of a junker and lo and behold!!!! I have sound!

Soon as I get a chance I'm getting on Crutchfield to order new ones!

Thank you TrailVoy.com!!

Tom

ervwagner
05-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Ok, so to roncoxx - your dash lights never went out, so I don't know if you had the same problem as the rest of us.
To bullardt - Were you also having dash light issues?
I am having the same problem and it would be nice to hear a solution if anyone has found it. Climate control light passenger side out, driver's side on. 1 and 2 radio program lights out, 3 - 6 on. Speakers on driver's side work in warm weather but barely in cold. No fuses out.

Biff85ta
05-28-2012, 12:21 AM
The main harness for the interior grounds on the firewall and fender on the drivers side near the fuse box. I would start there. I currently have my wife's 04 rainier spread all over the garage changing the main harness because of a botched dvd removal from the last owner. The whole harness melted because the fuse did not fail properly and I am currently waiting on the used dealer I bought it from to locate another one.

bullardt
05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Thankfully, my radio problems boiled down to failed speakers. Replaced all four speakers and have good sound now. I can even hear the door chime and low fuel chime! I have not had any other electrical or lighting issues that I know of.

Tom

Samson
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Did you ever get a solution to that problem having the same exact issue with my radio nothing else:thx

Strom
05-30-2012, 10:40 PM
had the issue, and found the power wire to the climate control unit had worn through the insulation and was grounding out against the ground wire, which also was worn through the insulation... Pulled the unit and soldiered in new wire, and added heavy duty shrink tubing and no problems for 3 years.

ervwagner
06-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Update: replaced my speakers and they all work perfectly now. I still don't know about the dash light situation, but as soon as I get a new HU I will inspect the wiring when I am installing it and then report my findings back here

Samson
06-11-2012, 03:50 PM
That sounds like a good place to start I appreciate it thanks

Samson
06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
had the issue, and found the power wire to the climate control unit had worn through the insulation and was grounding out against the ground wire, which also was worn through the insulation... Pulled the unit and soldiered in new wire, and added heavy duty shrink tubing and no problems for 3 years.

I'm going to look into that thanks:)

BLAZE_10
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I to have that issue on my 2005 trailblazer, but my speakers now dont have no sound at all.. I changed the factory stereo and bought something else and still no sound.. Then changed the bose amp and still no sound.. Mabey might be a wire problem.. Please does any one have suggestions..

denali218
06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Blaze, If your system is equipped with a factory amplifier, the factory radio has a low power level going to the amp. Aftermarket radios have built in amplifiers with high output and would probably blow out the factory amp. check to see if there is a factory amplifier behind the plastic panel in the rear passenger side hatch area first. If so you will need to bypass the amplifier.

BLAZE_10
06-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Blaze, If your system is equipped with a factory amplifier, the factory radio has a low power level going to the amp. Aftermarket radios have built in amplifiers with high output and would probably blow out the factory amp. check to see if there is a factory amplifier behind the plastic panel in the rear passenger side hatch area first. If so you will need to bypass the amplifier.

Yes it has a bose amp on the passenger side.. My first tought was mabey my bose amp dont work anymore so i bought another one on ebay and still nothing i still had my factory radio when i did this.. the my second tought was well what if its the factory radio so i bought an aftermarket one and still nothing :( im thinking now its either a wire problem or my speakeras went out.. and by bypass what do you mean??

denali218
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I copied a link for installing an aftermarket amp but the pictures are good and it gives you the color codes for the wires. If you have a voltmeter, first check power and grounds going to the factory amp. Then tune the radio to static (just noise no music) test for AC voltage at the speaker (wont be much but it should go up as the volume goes up). If there is no voltage at the speaker its a problem in the amp/wiring. If voltage goes up with the radio you have bad speakers. There is an adapter you can buy to use aftermarket radios with the bose factory system. I would recommend that, or you will probably have poor sound and overdrive the factory amp.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=40817&highlight=aftermarket+amplifier

denali218
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Also, people have had a lot of problems in the rear radio controls on the back of the console. Just another place to troubleshoot. Good Luck.

philipjohn52
06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
:suicide: I've owned an '04 XUV SLT since new, and it now has 150K - and never a real problem. Last week I bought another '04 XUV with 37K original, and on day 2 the radio just died - no time showing, no nothing. I pulled the fuse, found it OK and put it back. Voila!, radio worked - for another 4 days. Then, last night, while on the highway, the radio up and died again. When I got home I pulled the fuse and kept it out overnight, put it back in this morning, and still nothing. Everything else - climate control, dash lights, door chimes, etc. - all work perfectly.

My 40 years of 1960's to 1980's auto restoration experience tells me the radio is bad - but with the advent of on-board computers and 'programmable" radios, I'm not positive. That said, I'd rather spend $50 on a replacement radio than spend three hours crawling around with a tester checking for bad wiring, however. BUT, the thought of giving the stealership another $50 on top of that to program a replacement radio to work with my car's computer just frosts my cookies even more.

Does anyone have experience with just the radio crapping-out and, if so, what was your fix - was it truly just the radio?

Also, is the radio in the '04 a model that requires reprogramming? iIf not, then I'm going to pull the radio from my other '04 XUV and see if it works in the new one.

Thanks, in advance, to all those TrailVoy'ers who have helped in the past, and continue to help everyone who needs it!:):):)

philipjohn52
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, I pulled the radio out of my XUV and discovered that it had been replaced before with a "Delphi Remanufactured" unit. So, I figured once broken, broken again! But, upon looking for a matching part number replacement I discovered that my particular radio was a very limited production, and wasn't readily available on the secondary market. I Googled the GM part # and found SPL Electronics in Missouri advertising coded/uncoded GM radios. I called them and they were as helpful as could be, asking me all the right questions, ultimately saying that to save me money and aggravation I should pinpoint the exact problem. He gave me a two-step recommendation: First, verify that I had voltage to the B1 wire on the radio harness - if not, power problem. If B1 had voltage, then likely radio problem. If it became a radio issue, as they would not be able to supply me with an unlocked unit and it still might not be the real problem they suggested I contact United Radio Service in East Syracuse, NY for further assistance (they are GM's repair choice).

I went out and tested B1 and found it had the necessary voltage, so that suggested the problem was with the radio. So, I called United Radio. They were also extremely helpful, with the tech suggesting I first try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to see if the BCM would reset the radio. I did exactly that and the radio came back to life - only to be dead again the next time I started the car (an hour or so later). Before driving 60 miles to work this AM, I disconnected the battery and tried the reset again, and it worked. At least I had music to keep me awake. Of course, when I went out at lunchtime the radio was, again, totally dead. I called United back, reporting what had happened, and the tech suggested two courses of further action - first, I could send them my radio and they would bench-test it to make sure it wasn't a bad control module (their likely cause). If it were bad, they'd repair it within 24 hours and get it back to me. If it does test OK they suggested that I reinstall it and take it to my GM dealer and have them hook my car up to a Tech II and see if the BCM is sending the radio the correct signal to activate it.

All this may take some time to properly diagnose, but at least I have the proverbial roadmap to follow. I will report back as the diagnosis - and hopefully the solution - progresses.

In the meantime, I highly recommend SPL Electronics and United Radio Service!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thx

BLAZE_10
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I copied a link for installing an aftermarket amp but the pictures are good and it gives you the color codes for the wires. If you have a voltmeter, first check power and grounds going to the factory amp. Then tune the radio to static (just noise no music) test for AC voltage at the speaker (wont be much but it should go up as the volume goes up). If there is no voltage at the speaker its a problem in the amp/wiring. If voltage goes up with the radio you have bad speakers. There is an adapter you can buy to use aftermarket radios with the bose factory system. I would recommend that, or you will probably have poor sound and overdrive the factory amp.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=40817&highlight=aftermarket+amplifier

Ok well thank you so much for your help :) but i have an update on the work ive done.. well i did pull the speakers out and tested one using battery D size and touching positive to positive and neg to neg. I read if the speakers gives you a static/ popping sound then the speaker is good.. im now sure its a problem in the wiring of the car. but i can diagnose this by getting a voltmeter and putting it directly to the plug that goes to the speaker of the truck. But i wanted to know if you knew how am i suppose to know that my wire is sending power to the speaker using a voltmeter. What should the voltmeter indicate? Thank you

ervwagner
07-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Replaced the stereo now. New speakers haven't had any issues. Didn't see any problems with any of the wiring. Added an amp and a 10" sub. Everything working fine. As far as my issue, I'm convinced it was just the speakers. Still don't know what's up with those dash lights being out.

port1579
09-19-2012, 08:32 AM
I have a 2002 Trailblazer and I first notice the speakers on the drivers side would work and not work. Now the radio has an echo chamber effect and needs the volume turned up high to listen. The other day I did noticed that whenever I have the key in the ignition and the door open the buzzer sounds, the radio works fine and without the buzzer the radio has the echo effect. I'm thinking that it might be tied into the ignition switch. I've had other problems with the car and replacing the ignition switch cured the problems. Any other ideas? thanks

JohnQ
09-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I also have developed this issue with speakers going on and off with my 2007 Envoy. It's been going on for 6 months or so, but I wasn't motivated to fix it because there was always at least one speaker working, and no other issues. Well this weekend, all 4 were out, and only the tweeters were on. Kids were upset that Katy Perry wasn't playing properly, something must be done! Then today (Monday) both fronts were working fine again. ??
I read through a few of these radio threads, and the consensus is that the speakers are blown. It's bizarre because they all take turns, and when they work they sound fine, not blown.
I assumed it must be a loose connection behind the radio, but checked here first.
I'm going to replace some speakers and report back.
The OEM aftermarket ones are at least $75 each online, and probably crap too. Anyone have a suggestion for speakers that will fit? I'm in the Toronto area, West GTA.

dagnabbit
09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I replaced speakers in our 2007 trailblazer and it fixed the same problem you are describing. I was almost positive that there was a wiring problem or short somewhere til I saw this thread. The sound was intermittent to non existent prior to replacing them. Haven't had a problem with sound since. I don't remember the specific brand but purchased at Best Buy. Hope this helps.

JohnQ
09-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I replaced the two front speakers last night, and they work great. It's strange, but you are correct. Blown speakers.
I bought 4 ohm 6.5" 300watt speakers from the local electronics shop for $39 per pair. The speaker cone can easily be unscrewed from the OEM housing and swapped out.
I'll do the rears later this week.

Woods77
09-14-2014, 03:11 PM
A couple months ago I started having radio issues on my 05. Then yesterday I noticed my rear right running light was out (2nd time in as many years). Replaced the bulb. Nothing. Switched with another to make sure the bulb was good. Nothing. Ugh!!!

I don't even know where to begin with the speaker issues...

wolf75t
11-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Here I thought I was alone with my radio issues. I ordered a used oem radio off ebay to try to fix the issue and it didn't work. Sounds like I'm going to try speakers next. Last I looked they appeared to be ok but I guess looks can be deceiving.