Corroded stock rims [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Corroded stock rims

Carl2006
09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Just got my '06 TB back from the dealer after having all four of my stock 16" rims reconditioned because the were all badly corroded after only 20,000 miles.
What got my attention is that they were all damaged in roughly the same areas but different degrees of corrosion.

I took it to the dealer when I noticed it but they said it was beyond the warranty period, which I knew but had to try. So I then called GM customer service and after a day of deliberation they agreed not to replace the wheels but to resurface all four locally at no charge to me.

So, FYI it does work sometimes to just complain a little.

Carl

n866
09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
What did they do re clear coat them. I have a little corosion in my clear coat and it won't wax out. I think I'm gonna have to take them to a body shop and have them polished out and re clear coated.

Carl2006
09-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't really know. My wheels appear brand new with no evidence of any corrosion or surface damage. I don't know the process. Somehow all of the damage is gone. Can they grind and fill the damage areas then reapply the surface texture, color and clearcoat? I just don't know. Looks great and I'm very satisfied but we will see how they hold up to the NE winters here in MA.

Carl

jkust
09-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I had two of my minivan rims reconditioned after someone ran my wife off the road into a two foot tall curb destroyed the rims and shredded the tires. They actually remachine the rims and recoat them and regolded the gold package portion of the rims. They looked just like new and the gold was a lot brighter. The reconditionded rims took about one third of the time to start corroding as when they were factory and I really babied them. I am in Minnesota where salt is used liberally.