TCCM Bad [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: TCCM Bad

GIO
09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone I am new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks for some great info regarding my problem. I have an 02 Trailblazer 4x4 with a bad TCCM, Code 550. I tried taking out #8 fuse under hood for 30 seconds but no change. I also have the same trouble as alot of you regarding the 4WD select switch not working. The mechanic I had told me the Transfer Case Module was bad and he could install it but the dealer would have to program it. My ? is when I take it to the dealer is there any way to know if all it needs is to be reprogrammed . What I am afraid of is the dealer will just tell me reprogramming did not work and I will have to buy a new TCCM. The Chevy dealer by my house is $630.00 for the TCM and programming. Just to reprogram $ 160.00. Can anyone help? Thanks GIO:):)

the roadie
09-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Buy a used one on Ebay or from a junkyard and it won't need reprogramming. And if you get one from 2003+ it won't be flaky.

$160 for ten minutes work is pretty dear.

List price on it is under $300, by the way. What's that dealer doing - marking UP list price on the module?

cadyshac
09-24-2009, 08:36 PM
My dealer quoted me $540 for a new tccm installed.

the roadie
09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow. $540 is immensely more fair than $630. You lucky dog. Don't move out of driving distance of that dealer. You got a true gem!!!!!

:rotfl:

cadyshac
09-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Yea I thought it was more than fair (lol) hopefully this site will keep me away from the stealership for a long time.

the roadie
09-25-2009, 01:13 PM
...hopefully this site will keep me away from the stealership for a long time.That's the mission, if we articulate one at all, for enthusiast sites like this.

GIO
09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey guys , is there any way to know if the TCCM only needs to be reprogramed before taking it in to the dealer. I checked ebay for a TCCM nothing for my 2002 Trail right now . I will have to start checking auto yards. :)

the roadie
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I haven't heard of anybody definitely relating a particular part number to the bad hardware TCCMs, but a couple of reports say that the owner had part number 15074733 which was superseded by part number 12590220 when they went to the dealer to buy one.

What number is on yours?

If your dealer charges the same amount for a diagnostic charge as a reflash, you might as well just get it reflashed as an experiment. As far as I know, there's no guaranteed DIY way to distinguish a flaky TCCM from one that just needs the reflash to wake up with more reliability.

GIO
09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks again Roadie for the info just want to check before taking it in. I hope if all it needs is a reprogram and it works, great . I hate to assume if they reprogram and it works they still might tell me it didn't and tell me it needs to be replaced for that $600 or so . Sorry for insulting the honest dealership mechanics out there but you just never know. GIO

Kittyhawk
09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I bought my TCCM at a dealer through a friend for$170.00 listed at $220.00 here in Chicago. Then it cost me $110.00 to get it programed.....it it helps any.

GIO
09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi again, sorry I never told this detail but the Service 4WD light came on as soon as I replaced my battery . Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks again to Roadie and Cadyshac for their input... GIO

BUC NASTY
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
if you want i stil have my tccm. make an offer

duckhunter
09-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I got my TCCM from gm parts direct for 195. shipping included and a 100. program from the dealer. He is the site http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

cadyshac
09-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Well I think I got the deal of the century. I went to the junkyard and pulled the tccm from an '03 tblazer. When I took it to the counter the guy says how about $10, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I put it in my '02 and problem solved :) I should have gone straight to the corner store and bought a lottery ticket! The part # on my '02 piece is GM15085386 and the '03 is GM12580060. I just saved a ton of cash thanks to Trailvoy, thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I need to tackle a squeaky window so I am going to start a new thread.
Cady

GIO
10-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone I just wanted to say how glad I am that I found this forum..This was a great help to me from reading all the threads I read on my problem. I wanted to give a special thanks to( the Roadie) and( Vartz04) for all there help with all the emails I sent out to them. I ordered my TCCM from GM Parts Direct and then went to the dealer for the programming and now the 4WD is working perfect. Thanks SO MUCH:):tiphat:thumbsup::thumbsup: GIO

darknight
10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
check junk yards just got a tccm for my tb for less than 100 an since it came out of a working tb it was already programed pluged in an worked fine

chrome
10-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Great thread. Got me very interested.
I have had my '02 for a couple years. I had an intermittent problem with my 4x4 and if it was in A4x4 it would jump into 4x4, and if it was in 2wd it would jump to Neutral while driving with the lights staying on A4x4 or 2wd. Once I would move the switch it would resolve and I could go on my way. Dealer diagnosed the issue as a bad pin/part inside the TCCM and one signal was not getting to the encoder motor, so I got one from a yard (family salvage yard is great)... seems to solve the issue, but in some cases after I start in the morning after I have moved the switch the N light is on, and looking to move to the point where the switch is...put the shifter in N and then usually moves and don't have a problem again.

Part number that came from my TB is 15085386 and I will be looking later to find the part number that I got from salvage.

In the end I guess my question is: can the TCCM that I have be verified that it does have this issue. I would like to know if this one is bad or not for sure. Maybe I have a wiring issue, or if I have a good TCCM I can sell it cheap to a member or something.

and... thanks for the great site.

duranut03
02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I know this thread is a little old but the part number 15085386 is the one that came out of my TB today and it is bad, so that must be some of the bad ones. I will be trying to find one in some salvage yards tomorrow. Anyone know of any?

Raven1
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Roadie,

I have a 2002 Trailblazer and need to replace the TCCM. Can you verify the TCCM from the 03 through 06 will work with the 2002 Trailblazer. I know I read something to that effect in a thread but I want to confirm it before I buy a use one.

Thanks

the roadie
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
TCCMs from 2003-2009 will work in in your 2002. :yes: If they come out of an Envoy or Trailblazer with 4WD, they should be plug and play.

The TCCM strictly speaking should be flashed by the dealer if your gear ratio is different from the donor vehicle, but that's a very subtle and almost irrelevant issue of the exact road speeds where the A4WD clutches operate, and the 4LO lockout (might lock out at 2.8 MPH instead of 3, for instance - who cares.)

If the junkyard donor vehicle is an AWD like the Rainier or Bravada, of straight out of new parts stock, it will need the reflash.

dfcashjr
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I haven't heard of anybody definitely relating a particular part number to the bad hardware TCCMs, but a couple of reports say that the owner had part number 15074733 which was superseded by part number 12590220 when they went to the dealer to buy one.

What number is on yours?

If your dealer charges the same amount for a diagnostic charge as a reflash, you might as well just get it reflashed as an experiment. As far as I know, there's no guaranteed DIY way to distinguish a flaky TCCM from one that just needs the reflash to wake up with more reliability.

Roadie, thanks so much for all the advice you have provided to others troubled by 4WD outages. I replaced part no. 15085386 in my 2002 TrailBlazer with part no. 12590220 after diagnosing the "sleeps forever" condition of the TCCM from reviewing your excellent posts. $75 later, I am 4WD capable once more. Cheers.

jsdomino
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Roadie, thanks so much for all the advice you have provided to others troubled by 4WD outages. I replaced part no. 15085386 in my 2002 TrailBlazer with part no. 12590220 after diagnosing the "sleeps forever" condition of the TCCM from reviewing your excellent posts. $75 later, I am 4WD capable once more. Cheers.

Same here. Found a TCCM online from a junkyard ($75). Got a 2005 (part #12590220) unit. Took the old one out, plugged the new one in, and back in business. 4wd AGAIN!

Thanks Trailvoy!

no1son
07-02-2010, 10:25 PM
TCCMs from 2003-2009 will work in in your 2002. :yes: If they come out of an Envoy or Trailblazer with 4WD, they should be plug and play.

The TCCM strictly speaking should be flashed by the dealer if your gear ratio is different from the donor vehicle, but that's a very subtle and almost irrelevant issue of the exact road speeds where the A4WD clutches operate, and the 4LO lockout (might lock out at 2.8 MPH instead of 3, for instance - who cares.)

If the junkyard donor vehicle is an AWD like the Rainier or Bravada, of straight out of new parts stock, it will need the reflash.

Wow! I am new to this site, but after spending a couple of hours reading Your info, I went out and got TCCM, and replaced old one, checked transfer case oil levels, and poof!!!! all is well thanks guys and special thanks to roadie, darn good info, as you know it saved me a bundle, and WORKS LIKE NEW AGAIN. :)
Bruce, aka no1son